PDA

View Full Version : OPI calls on Jordy

Upnorth
12-21-2011, 09:26 AM
If this was talked about earlier I missed it. Does anyone know where to find video on the two OPI calls? The more I think about it, the more I think this had a huge impact on a very close game.

Brandon494
12-21-2011, 09:55 AM
He had to push off because with Jennings out he was no longer going up against the 2nd and 3rd CB. :) Brandon Flowers, who I wanted TT to pick instead of Pat Lee, shut him down all game. I don't really think the OPI had as much of a impact as the drop passes.

Pugger
12-21-2011, 10:04 AM
I never saw the first one but I did see a replay of the second one and unless he pushed before the camera got on him I didn't see him touch the DB.

Guiness
12-21-2011, 10:36 AM
I never saw the first one but I did see a replay of the second one and unless he pushed before the camera got on him I didn't see him touch the DB.

He did touch the DB, but he didn't push him. When he got to the top of the route, he stopped and got some separation. As the db tried to close the distance, he stuck his arm out to keep the db at bay, kind of a straight arm. It was very brief, but it was there. That could be interpreted as pushing off.

Patler
12-21-2011, 10:53 AM
He had to push off because with Jennings out he was no longer going up against the 2nd and 3rd CB. :) Brandon Flowers, who I wanted TT to pick instead of Pat Lee, shut him down all game. I don't really think the OPI had as much of a impact as the drop passes.

So you thought TT should have picked Brandon Flowers instead of Pat Lee? How would that have worked? Flowers was off the board before the Packers made their first pick in the draft, after trading out of the 1st round.

Flowers was picked #35.
Jordy Nelson was picked #36.
Brian Brohm was picked #56
Pat Lee was picked #60.

You make it sound as if TT picked Lee over Flowers, and that isn't even remotely close to accurate.

It was believed by some that TT would have picked Flowers if he had not been taken the pick before Green Bay's.
I suppose he could have sat tight in the first and taken Flowers instead of trading down, but he obviously did not have a first round grade on Flowers, or had him grouped equally with Nelson and a bunch of other players so that moving down didn't concern him.

But he certainly did not take Lee instead of Flowers.

Brandon494
12-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Haha damn guess I just got patlerized.

Smidgeon
12-21-2011, 11:52 AM
If this was talked about earlier I missed it. Does anyone know where to find video on the two OPI calls? The more I think about it, the more I think this had a huge impact on a very close game.

Well, Nelson didn't catch either of the balls that were thrown to him on either OPI calls, so it's not as if either was called back. It might have affected how he played the rest of the game though, and that may have affected the rest of the game.

Smidgeon
12-21-2011, 11:52 AM
So you thought TT should have picked Brandon Flowers instead of Pat Lee? How would that have worked? Flowers was off the board before the Packers made their first pick in the draft, after trading out of the 1st round.

Flowers was picked #35.
Pat Lee was picked #60.

You make it sound as if TT picked Lee over Flowers, and that isn't even remotely close to accurate.

It was believed by some that TT would have picked Flowers if he had not been taken the pick before Green Bay's.
I suppose he could have sat tight in the first and taken Flowers instead of trading down, but he obviously did not have a first round grade on Flowers, or had him grouped equally with Nelson and a bunch of other players so that moving down didn't concern him.

I like it better when you have an avatar. When anyone does, really. It makes it easier to identify posters.

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Well, Nelson didn't catch either of the balls that were thrown to him on either OPI calls, so it's not as if either was called back. It might have affected how he played the rest of the game though, and that may have affected the rest of the game.

I'm not going to bitch about officiating. They called it tight, and you have to adjust. Though neither ball was caught, it certainly could have had a slight affect on the game because at least one of the penalties was accepted and it put the Packers in a more difficult down and distance.

King Friday
12-21-2011, 12:36 PM
I think the game plan was more of a concern in my opinion. I'm tired of the run-it-or-toss-it-40-yards mentality. We don't play in a dome, so we better start trying to hit some slants, screens, and short crossing patterns for when we play in Green Bay the next few weeks.

Tarlam!
12-21-2011, 02:08 PM
I think the game plan was more of a concern in my opinion. I'm tired of the run-it-or-toss-it-40-yards mentality. We don't play in a dome, so we better start trying to hit some slants, screens, and short crossing patterns for when we play in Green Bay the next few weeks.

Yup, this. Especially since we only had two RBs

Guiness
12-21-2011, 02:10 PM

Flowers was picked #35.
Pat Lee was picked #60.

I remember that draft, and some of the posters here wanting Flowers. Although he wasn't on the board when we eventually picked, he was on the board when we would've picked. When he grabbed Jordy, then Lee later, I think many felt we needed a CB, and Lee was the one we took when we could of had Flowers.

I'm not complaining. That sort of movement got us Jennings instead of Chad Jackson!

Patler
12-21-2011, 02:32 PM
I remember that draft, and some of the posters here wanting Flowers. Although he wasn't on the board when we eventually picked, he was on the board when we would've picked. When he grabbed Jordy, then Lee later, I think many felt we needed a CB, and Lee was the one we took when we could of had Flowers.

I'm not complaining. That sort of movement got us Jennings instead of Chad Jackson!

Sure, I understand (and remember) that, but the only way that could have happened is if TT stayed put in the first round and used the first round pick for Flowers. That becomes also a salary cap/budget issue. If you don't have a first round grade on a player, you don't really want to take him in the first round and be forced to pay him a first round contract.

Guiness
12-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Sure, I understand (and remember) that, but the only way that could have happened is if TT stayed put in the first round and used the first round pick for Flowers. That becomes also a salary cap/budget issue. If you don't have a first round grade on a player, you don't really want to take him in the first round and be forced to pay him a first round contract.

Of course, and the results of that style speaks volumes. It's money ball, come to the NFL. Works a bit differently because all the teams theoretically are playing with the same number of chips.

But I'm sure that if he had a crystal ball, and knew the player Flowers was to become, he certainly would have stayed put and taken him. So let some of the posters here who like him say "see, told ya!" and feel good about themselves already :)

btw welcome back Snoopy!

Cheesehead Craig
12-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm not going to bitch about officiating. They called it tight, and you have to adjust. Though neither ball was caught, it certainly could have had a slight affect on the game because at least one of the penalties was accepted and it put the Packers in a more difficult down and distance.

This.

If TT had a crystal ball and saw what Flowers would become but yet also saw that with the pick of Nelson that he would have been extremely integral to us winning a SB last year, he still would have picked Jordy.

Brandon494
12-22-2011, 09:24 AM
I disagree, Jordy is good and all Brandon Flowers is one of the top young corners in the game.

Fritz
12-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Didn't Flowers get drafted originally by New England?

And if TT had taken Flowers, then no Jordy Nelson, right?

Brandon494
12-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Maybe but if Jordy wouldnt have lasted before our next pick maybe TT goes with Deshawn Jackson instead. I know he's not white but still a damn good player. :)

King Friday
12-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Based on what I know today, I'd take Flowers over Nelson in a heartbeat. It is much easier to find a capable WR...and Rodgers will make WRs better than they are anyway. A very good shut down CB is one of the top 4 positions in the game...along with QB, blindside tackle, and dominant pass rushing DE/LB.

Upnorth
12-22-2011, 05:52 PM
I agree with what the King said above, however that was not an option then as Flowers was gone (as pointed out by Mr Patler). The priorities or QB LT DE CB I am in completely agreeable with as well.

So if most don't think it affected the game much, my question is why make back to back bad calls on a very rare penalty? KC would have had to point it out before the game, but to go from not being called on JN in three years of play to twice in two minutes is extreme. In my mind this would greatly affect the play of JN.

Also its good to see the little white dog again.

Pugger
12-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Would Flowers had been a good value pick if TT hadn't traded out of the first round and chose Flowers there?

Tarlam!
12-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Would Flowers had been a good value pick if TT hadn't traded out of the first round and chose Flowers there?

Excellent question! In hindsight, certainly! But, we don't know the Packers scouting report based on interviews etc. Maybe he was immature coming out.

Point to Harvey about bitching on officiating: M3 bitched about it in his last interview on Packers.com. Prolly get a fine, he quipped. He said on the coaches film, no OPI was apparent. Just sayin'.

denverYooper
12-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Excellent question! In hindsight, certainly! But, we don't know the Packers scouting report based on interviews etc. Maybe he was immature coming out.

Point to Harvey about bitching on officiating: M3 bitched about it in his last interview on Packers.com. Prolly get a fine, he quipped. He said on the coaches film, no OPI was apparent. Just sayin'.

Interesting. M3 is not usually one to call out calls very much. I can remember maybe 1 other time.

Tarlam!
12-23-2011, 03:30 AM
Interesting. M3 is not usually one to call out calls very much. I can remember maybe 1 other time.

His first season it was a constant! But the more he complained, the more penalties they got, IIRC. Since then, he's then he's learned a lot.

denverYooper
12-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Just noticed that FO has KC as the second best team against #1 receivers. Tough spot for Jordy to move up in the rotation.