PDA

View Full Version : Removing Rust

Partial
08-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Does anyone know how to go about removing rust from (what I believe to be) Steel? I am trying to clean up and restore a bike, and I need to remove rust, dirt, grime and grease from just about everything but the actual frame.

red
08-16-2006, 09:23 AM
i think i remember watching on mythbusters that Coke takes away rust

if its just steel you can probably take a wire brush and some steel wool to it

i think

Tarlam!
08-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Does anyone know how to go about removing rust from (what I believe to be) Steel? I am trying to clean up and restore a bike, and I need to remove rust, dirt, grime and grease from just about everything but the actual frame.

This so depends on if it's chrom or plain steel.

If it's chrom, you will need to take the part, remove the rust and have it re-chromed. Use normal rust remover from your hardware store.

If it's steel, just sand it off with wet & dry soaked in vegetable oil.

MJZiggy
08-16-2006, 09:24 AM
There's always naval jelly, but you can't use that on chrome.

Partial
08-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Hmmm, i'm not too sure if its chrome or just plain ol' steel. Is there any easy way to tell?

MJZiggy
08-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Is it painted or is it really shiny metal?

Partial
08-16-2006, 09:44 AM
well, i can't really tell since it's very dirty and rusty. I am guessing sadly that it is crome, which is very unfortunate since I would rather not have them rechromed.

How does one clean chrome?

Tarlam!
08-16-2006, 09:51 AM
One polishes chrome. Chrome is a metal thingy that is used as a finish for other materials. One chromes plastic. One chromes steel. Chrome is that dazzling mirror-like finish that one once saw on car bumpers and what not. I am old enough to remember this.

One can aslo buy chrome spray on from the hardware store, but, don't bother using that as a touch up.

You will need to re-chrome the entire piece which means sending it off.

Partial
08-16-2006, 09:54 AM
:sad:

Jimx29
08-16-2006, 06:54 PM
How does one clean chrome?Just get yourself some 0 or 00 steel wool and buff away. If it's chrome (which i suspect it is), you'll get it shiny as hell with that. That is unless the chrome is pitted and/or flaking off, then it's either replace or re chrome