PDA

View Full Version : Eric Walden: turd on wheels

SkinBasket
12-26-2011, 07:47 AM
God was that guy awful last night. Just got obliterated against the run and was invisible in coverage and pass rush. At least he got yanked and we got to see So'oto, Jones, and even a little Lattimore in that spot. But I still wish he had gone to jail he was so ineffective.

KYPack
12-26-2011, 09:53 AM
God was that guy awful last night. Just got obliterated against the run and was invisible in coverage and pass rush. At least he got yanked and we got to see So'oto, Jones, and even a little Lattimore in that spot. But I still wish he had gone to jail he was so ineffective.

The guy literally came on to right the ship last season. This year, he's in the engine room, beating on our motor with a sledge hammer. He got 3 sacks against the Bears in a late season, helping us get a big W. This year, we have to bench his ass for being way out of position. Coach Kevin was real pissed at Walden, who evidently doesn't listen any better than his girlfriend does.

The Pack has a big time pass rush problem.

They had 27 sacks thru 14 games, ranking them 26th in the league. Last year, they had 40 sacks after 14 games and wound up with 47.
STATS keeps track of BIG SACKS, sacks on 3rd or 4th down resulting in a turnover or a safety. GB has 10 of those, ranking 31st. The Ravens lead the league with 29 BIG SACKS.

We've got to get some QB pressure from someone other than Clay.

Upnorth
12-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Wasn't walden the traing camp darling? It is ama-ng what he hasn't done with his opportunities. Are the family problems affecting hison field play greatly?

mmmdk
12-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Too bad Mike Neal is broken goods and Zombo is in limbo. We won't have (more) pass rusher till next season. Aaron & the O must win it for us.

Carolina_Packer
12-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Absolutely. Why are we shopping at the bargain basement when we could get more skillful guys? Everyone loves the street free agent guy who can come in and produce, but perhaps last year was just an anomoly and they have maxed out their talent. Howard Green, Erik Walden, Frank Zombo, etc., Brad Jones (almost a street free agent), C.J. Wilson, Jarius Wynn. I'm not saying we need an all-star roster, but let's upgrade the talent on D. Sometimes you find a diamond in the rough, but sometimes you just find rough, or worse. Can they play? Yup. Can they dominate? Hmm. Sometimes Clay looks like he's on his own out there trying to pressure. They have got to get there. They did last year somehow, some way, like KY showed, but for some reason not this year. Puzzling. Most obvious change; no Cullen Jenkins.

RashanGary
12-26-2011, 10:11 AM
The freebee week and the bye week are important for us. We don't have enough front 7 guys, especially pass rushers. Our OL is dinged up.

If we're going to do this thing, our big guys are going to have to be 100%

RashanGary
12-26-2011, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Clay, Raji and Neal all take a seat. Clay and Raji are our best players. Neal is a guy who's not very good right now, might never be, but he's the best we got after Raji and Pickett. A week off that knee, then getting a good lift or two in before the playoff game. . . . . There's a chance he has a little more in him.

Clay and Raji though. . . . If those guys are 100%, we could get some big-time impact plays down the stretch.

We got some worries though. There's a light, but there's no telling if we'll get there or if it's a mirrage even.

mraynrand
12-26-2011, 10:27 AM
STATS keeps track of BIG SACKS, sacks on 3rd or 4th down resulting in a turnover or a safety. GB has 10 of those, ranking 31st. The Ravens lead the league with 29 BIG SACKS..

The Packers are also way down in BIG HITS. But that's just because Bigby is gone.

pbmax
12-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Bigby's BIG HITS are indeed sorely missed :)

Walden looked OK in camp. Each of the three was reported to be missing one ingredient that would immediately vault them above the others. Walden was supposed to be the best at setting an edge against the run, Zombo for pass rush and Jones for coverage. Walden was supposed to be in the middle for coverage I think and the most work to do on his pass rush.

But if he cannot stop the bleeding on the run, and that is two straight games they have run that play left with a pulling O lineman and boxed him in with just a TE, then there is no reason to have him out there talent wise.

The problem is that there is nothing assured behind him. I think the So'oto and Lattimore experiment will get 3 quarters of run in the Lions game.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2011, 12:27 PM
I didn't notice how Walden played yesterday, but he has had strong games in second half of this season. I find Mr. Skinbasket's severe criticism puzzling - could it be the physical resemblance to Bigby?

Freak Out
12-26-2011, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Clay, Raji and Neal all take a seat. Clay and Raji are our best players. Neal is a guy who's not very good right now, might never be, but he's the best we got after Raji and Pickett. A week off that knee, then getting a good lift or two in before the playoff game. . . . . There's a chance he has a little more in him.

Clay and Raji though. . . . If those guys are 100%, we could get some big-time impact plays down the stretch.

We got some worries though. There's a light, but there's no telling if we'll get there or if it's a mirrage even.

Yep.....this game is meaningless and everyone that can be given a break should be given a break. I would imagine Detoilet is going to do the same? It would be nice to go out with a win at home but getting people healthy and the playoffs are what matters now.

SkinBasket
12-26-2011, 03:10 PM
I didn't notice how Walden played yesterday, but he has had strong games in second half of this season. I find Mr. Skinbasket's severe criticism puzzling - could it be the physical resemblance to Bigby?

You didn't notice because he got yanked before halftime after being absolutely destroyed against the run on 3-4 consecutive plays. If you would have taken the time to pay attention to the first half of the game last night, you wouldn't be puzzled. He's had average games, at best, not strong.

Scott Campbell
12-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Wasn't walden the traing camp darling?

Not as far as I could tell. He was merely better than the other stiffs we trotted out there.

red
12-26-2011, 03:35 PM
it really does look like walden was a one game wonder, at best he's looked like a JAG this year

let so'oto get his playing time next week and see if he can bring it, its pretty obviously after 15 games that we have nothing else worth trying opposite clay on this team

KYPack
12-26-2011, 04:25 PM
it really does look like walden was a one game wonder, at best he's looked like a JAG this year

let so'oto get his playing time next week and see if he can bring it, its pretty obviously after 15 games that we have nothing else worth trying opposite clay on this team

Walden had 3 sacks against the Bears last year. The Pack played a gimmick defense that game and Walden had, like no reads. It was check the TE and go. They used to call that a corridor. Anything where he has to read or think, he's pretty worthless. Zombo is just as bad. I like the kids, but they are kids.

I hear you Red, but man, I hate to go into play-off games with ROLB's that green. But waddaya gonna do?

swede
12-26-2011, 05:05 PM
I have to weigh in on the Walden sucks chorus. Life is nice when you can roll the DVR back a few times and see who messed up on certain plays. Walden was at different times velcroed to a lineman, flying past the quarterback and missing him by six feet, rolling on the ground, or watching as Bell ran past him. He seemed unable to move with any lateral football speed to get to a ballcarrier running wide.

If he comes down the line of scrimmage and gets a bead on you he'll give you a heck of a thump, but he'll have a short highlight reel if we have to ask the running backs to stand up and hold still like a baby mama in order to give Erik a shot at hitting them.

As for baby mama, she might want to run left when he swings. He doesn't change direction real well.

red
12-26-2011, 05:33 PM
As for baby mama, she might want to run left when he swings. He doesn't change direction real well.

domestic violence is never funny....

but that sure was lol

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2011, 05:44 PM
He's had average games, at best, not strong.matter of opinion. Walden has put good pressure on passer in 3 or 4 games.

gbgary
12-26-2011, 06:04 PM
they ran left over and over again yesterday. pretty bad. he's better rushing the passer than in any other situation. this off-season tt must address the d.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2011, 06:13 PM
ya, I suppose the bottom line is Walden is inconsistent and needs to be replaced. But I saw real progress before KC game, thought he might be settling in. Not sure what to make of So'oto, probably not an upgrade overall.

Walden can make plays, both against run and pass. He does get fooled, tho.

SkinBasket
12-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Homer. The guy blows. And he domestically abuses his girlfriend. Who isn't his sister.

Deputy Nutz
12-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Piss poor game from Walden yesterday, although the defensive line was just as bad. As an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme you can't lose contain and it happened over and over again and then having our inside linebackers walled off by tight ends was frustrating. The Bears were pulling two linemen on a regular basis and not once did the Packers blitz those gaps. Defensive ends have to force the offense to block them with two guys, and that isn't happening.

RashanGary
12-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Piss poor game from Walden yesterday, although the defensive line was just as bad. As an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme you can't lose contain and it happened over and over again and then having our inside linebackers walled off by tight ends was frustrating. The Bears were pulling two linemen on a regular basis and not once did the Packers blitz those gaps. Defensive ends have to force the offense to block them with two guys, and that isn't happening.

I can still see those plays happening. I didn't know exactly what was happening. . . . Reading this, picturing the runs. . . . I think this is pretty much it. He was getting blocked outside or inside. He didn't square up, didn't stay on his feet, committed too much one way or the other over and over.

Bad game.

I've seen him square up, get leverage and hold his point. Yesterday was pathetic.

KYPack
12-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Walden does a couple things that amaze me. Most outside backers fight, kick scratch, and basically go to war to hold the edge and keep contain. Walden could basically give a shit. If he holds the edge, it's cool. If he gets whipped, it's oh well.

The other thing is his tendency to freelance. Sometimes, he gets it in his head to take an inside rush. He just goes, without any communication with his defensive parners. He just goes cowboy and charges to the inside. He's been doing that shit since he got here. I think the KC game was where they drew the line. The old pro saying is "if you can't do it, I'll find somebody who can".

Dom and Kevin are now looking for somebody who can get the job done.

RashanGary
12-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Walden does a couple things that amaze me. Most outside backers fight, kick scratch, and basically go to war to hold the edge and keep contain. Walden could basically give a shit. If he holds the edge, it's cool. If he gets whipped, it's oh well.

That makes sense. I've seen him just square up and put the smack down on the guy in front of him, hold his spot and force a bad run. He looks powerful. Then he does that type of complete bullshit we saw yesterday.

Not good.

Pugger
12-26-2011, 10:13 PM
I've been disappointed in Walden for a while now. He's JAG. TT's biggest gaff this season was depending upon Walden/Jones/Zombo to be good enough so that OCs would have to single block CM3. His other gaff that is almost as egregious was depending upon Neal to take Jenkins' spot on the D line. Green, Wynn and Wilson are not the answer here. Losing an All-Pro caliber safety hasn't helped either. These problems have come back to haunt this team this year. TT had better address these issues this coming offseason. If we can fix our horrid pass rush and shore up our run defense by next season we'll be even more of a terror in this league for years to come.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2011, 10:36 PM
I've been disappointed in Walden for a while now. He's JAG. TT's biggest gaff this season was depending upon Walden/Jones/Zombo to be good enough so that OCs would have to single block CM3. His other gaff that is almost as egregious was depending upon Neal to take Jenkins' spot on the D line.
Walden/Jones/Zombo was certainly not a gaff. All three showed promise last year, its unlikely a better option was available. Even good decisions can work out poorly, there is always some risk.

Letting Jenkins go was a huge and predictable mistake even if Neal had worked out. The good defensive line are solid two deep.

ThunderDan
12-26-2011, 11:09 PM
The good defensive line are solid two deep.

Who are the good D-Lines this year?

I'll say the Giants. Then who? It seems like the Os are rolling this year.

Tarlam!
12-27-2011, 12:15 AM
I've been disappointed in Walden for a while now. He's JAG. TT's biggest gaff this season was depending upon Walden/Jones/Zombo to be good enough so that OCs would have to single block CM3. His other gaff that is almost as egregious was depending upon Neal to take Jenkins' spot on the D line. [...]Losing an All-Pro caliber safety hasn't helped either. These problems have come back to haunt this team this year. TT had better address these issues this coming offseason. If we can fix our horrid pass rush and shore up our run defense by next season we'll be even more of a terror in this league for years to come.

Great use of the word egregious - I love a woman with a vocabulary!

In TT's defense, he cannot pay everybody and is forced to make some decisions that will obviusly be deemed as "gaffs" by fans. Think back to Wahle. TT, and ALL GMs are forced to make bets on who they must keep and who to let go, who will shine and who is a JAG it is dictated to them by the salary cap. There was no feasible way to keep Jenkins, plus all the guys he did keep. Plus, Jenkins was often broken as many posters have pointed out.

Neal has all the tools, but has proven to be brittle. Wynn should be a player, but just aint getting it.

TT spent the last two 1st's on protecting the Franchise. Clearly, that has been his focus. I won't chide him for that. He went up and got CMIII, so he has spotted at least one legitimate pass rusher, but they don't grow on trees. And you already point out the secondary has lapsed with Collins missing. Tramon and Shields are looking anything like they did last season; is that Collins' influence?

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Who are the good D-Lines this year?

I'll say the Giants. Then who? It seems like the Os are rolling this year.

MN & Detroit are good & deep. Chicago ain't bad.

Fritz
12-27-2011, 06:05 AM
In every playoff run, there's a game in which the team's defense has to carry the day when the big offense gets stuffed. My fear is that this defense, for whatever reason, doesn't have that ability this year. I would not be surprised to see the Pack get knocked out the of playoffs at any time.

As for Walden, if he doesn't follow the plan, then he's useless. Capers has said time and time again, and again recently, that the success of the defense - especially the run defense - is predicated on everyone taking care of his assignment.

My guess would be that we'll see Zombo/So'oto and maybe a little Lattimore this coming weekend.

Zombo needs to pay the fuck attention now. If he wants to be a starting OLB in this league, this is his big chance. And that means being assignment-sure, first and foremost.

Brandon494
12-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Our whole defense has been a turd on wheels this season and it all starts up front. We really need to address our D-line in the upcoming offseason. I don't really get into the draft until the season is over but I'm hoping this defense is deep on defense.

Pugger
12-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Great use of the word egregious - I love a woman with a vocabulary!

In TT's defense, he cannot pay everybody and is forced to make some decisions that will obviusly be deemed as "gaffs" by fans. Think back to Wahle. TT, and ALL GMs are forced to make bets on who they must keep and who to let go, who will shine and who is a JAG it is dictated to them by the salary cap. There was no feasible way to keep Jenkins, plus all the guys he did keep. Plus, Jenkins was often broken as many posters have pointed out.

Neal has all the tools, but has proven to be brittle. Wynn should be a player, but just aint getting it.

TT spent the last two 1st's on protecting the Franchise. Clearly, that has been his focus. I won't chide him for that. He went up and got CMIII, so he has spotted at least one legitimate pass rusher, but they don't grow on trees. And you already point out the secondary has lapsed with Collins missing. Tramon and Shields are looking anything like they did last season; is that Collins' influence?

But it turned out Jenkins wasn't going to cost a fortune but for some reason TT didn't even bother to talk to his agent from what I heard. I wish he had spent the money on him rather than Walden, that's for sure! Yes, Williams and Shields are not playing anywhere nearly as well as last year and Peprah is JAG. And I am glad TT spent on protecting The Franchise. If we didn't have all of these O linemen we would really be in trouble right now, wouldn't we?

Brandon494
12-27-2011, 08:28 AM
But it turned out Jenkins wasn't going to cost a fortune but for some reason TT didn't even bother to talk to his agent from what I heard. I wish he had spent the money on him rather than Walden, that's for sure! Yes, Williams and Shields are not playing anywhere nearly as well as last year and Peprah is JAG. And I am glad TT spent on protecting The Franchise. If we didn't have all of these O linemen we would really be in trouble right now, wouldn't we?

Walden wasnt a FA, I wish he would have spent that money on Jenkins instead of that bum Hawk though.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Jenkins is a good player, but statistically he fell off completely after a great start to the season. He had 5 sacks in the first 5 games when the Eagles were stumbling to a 1-4 start while giving up 26.4 points/game. Then, he had 0.5 sacks in the last 10 games.

SkinBasket
12-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Jenkins couldn't stay healthy for more than 4 games at a time. Although, he's really tearing it up in Philly. 4 of his 5.5 sacks came in the first three games, and he has 37 tackles on the year. Yehaw! Even if he were playing more than half the games, it's not like he would have been Jesus to this defense. He wouldn't have even been Job.

SkinBasket
12-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks for stealing my thunder Bangers.

pbmax
12-27-2011, 09:08 AM

I saw Bishop get through once, but that was it. Wilson was the only guy making any hay and he might have been the only one working off single blocking. Raji was getting DT'd and turned.

Pugger
12-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Jenkins couldn't stay healthy for more than 4 games at a time. Although, he's really tearing it up in Philly. 4 of his 5.5 sacks came in the first three games, and he has 37 tackles on the year. Yehaw! Even if he were playing more than half the games, it's not like he would have been Jesus to this defense. He wouldn't have even been Job.

But wouldn't you agree he'd be better than Green, Wilson and Wynn?

pbmax
12-27-2011, 09:24 AM

The other thing is his tendency to freelance. Sometimes, he gets it in his head to take an inside rush. He just goes, without any communication with his defensive parners. He just goes cowboy and charges to the inside. He's been doing that shit since he got here. I think the KC game was where they drew the line. The old pro saying is "if you can't do it, I'll find somebody who can".

I get the sense that something changed, because at one point, I thought Walden was identified as the one OLB who could set a mean edge. Given that he has been abused in two straight games by virtually the same play, it seems like he must be reacting poorly to something new. Because he wasn't this horrible before. Or teams have discovered exactly how to take advantage of the weaknesses KYPack sees. The even more depressing thing is Nutz's point that teams are blocking Walden AND cutting Hawk and Bishop out of pursuit. Though I am not seeing TEs do this (the TE is abusing Walden from what I recall, its the Guards that are getting free on the ILBs).

Wilde and Silverstein spent time talking to Capers and Green and Wilde emerged with a sense they would like to see more Zombo. But he was inactive (McCarthy said ST played a factor in that decision) and So'oto had been performing well in practice. Elsewhere it was mentioned that Zombo is being hurt by being injured and that he has lost ground because of it.

Essentially, expect to see Zombo, So'oto, Lattimore and Jones get a lot of reps versus the Lions so they can sort this out. So'oto was judged raw by Dom and in his defense, that might be a hard thing to overcome in one week.

Wilde: http://t.co/ElTBGUXW

Silverstein: http://t.co/EE6RFZsk

pbmax
12-27-2011, 09:27 AM

It seems that the Jim Washburn "wide 9" defense was a boon for Jenkins and bad for rest of the defense. When they altered it to shore up the leaking ship, he fell off the planet. Makes you wonder if that is what made Haynesworth seem so invincible in Tennessee. In fact, the wide 9 defense is probably why everyone thought the entire problem was with the linebackers and not their D line or scheme.

Upnorth
12-27-2011, 09:39 AM
I really hope we can see a little more of So'oto playing like the tease we got in the preseason. During the offseason I was a huge Zombo guy, but have been let down by him as well.
Really the whole LB corp with one exception has let me down, which makes me wonder more about how the DL is not taking up space and rushing well. Sigh, isn't this the Christmas season?

Fritz
12-27-2011, 02:06 PM
It sure sounds though like Capers thinks So'oto is way, way raw and not ready for prime time. I wonder if Zombo ends up starting by default.

denverYooper
12-27-2011, 04:16 PM
It sure sounds though like Capers thinks So'oto is way, way raw and not ready for prime time. I wonder if Zombo ends up starting by default.

Perhaps, but I think they'll give So'oto a decent shot this weekend to earn some more snaps.

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Jenkins is a good player, but statistically he fell off completely after a great start to the season. Statistics tell very little. Clay Mathews had his worst season statistically. but is playing better than ever.

Jenkins would have been important addition to DL rotation.

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2011, 04:20 PM

You should be an NFL GM, your talents are wasted here. I was unable to see that Jenkins is worse than Wynn, Wilson, Green, Neal.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Nobody said he was worse than those guys, but he's been injury prone, on the wrong side of 30, and received $5M/year. Money that could be spent on others. Is Jenkins worth it at his age if it meant losing Jordy Nelson, Josh Sitton, or somebody else? Maybe on some others. Maybe not. Jenkins missed the last four games last year, and the Packers held Detroit to 7 points, did a good job holding New England to 24 offensive points, held the Giants to 17 points, and held the Bears to 3 points. I'm not sure he's the savior we've been missing. I think he was a solid player, but I think there are other issues besides losing Jenkins. I don't think Raji is playing as well as some others do. Losing Pickett has been big the last two games. Losing Collins was a big loss. Peprah hasn't played nearly as well this year as last year when he replaced Burnett. Losing Bishop and Hawk for a few games hurt. Woodson has shown a little age this year. Williams and Shields haven't played as well. Burnett has been a disappointment. There are a lot of things that have gone wrong, and many likely won't be fixed. Let's hope Rodgers and the offense can continue to outscore the other teams. Also, we have to hope the special teams continues to play well.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Jenkins hasn't been a difference maker for Philly, and at his age he likely won't be in the future. The Eagles are talking about blowing up the defense this offseason because many of their best players are on the wrong side of 30.

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Nobody said he was worse than those guys, but he's been injury prone, on the wrong side of 30, and received $5M/year. Money that could be spent on others. Is Jenkins worth it at his age if it meant losing Jordy Nelson, Josh Sitton, or somebody else? No, it would not be worth losing one of those players to sign Jenkins. Maybe you want to throw Clay Mathews & Aaron Rodgers on that list too.

Jenkins signed for (effectively) a cap-friendly one year deal. The opportunity cost argument is bogus.

Joemailman
12-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Walden has a trial date set for February 16. Am I the only person here thinking that his level of play has dropped off since his arrest? Maybe having a tough time giving football his undivided attention?

Deputy Nutz
12-27-2011, 06:50 PM
On some of the plays Walden was blown up by the fullback with the tight end down blocking on the inside linebacker with the two pulling offensive linemen pulling around the block of the fullback. Other times the tight end would kick Walden out and create space that way.

Part of the problem is that Walden might be black, but he isn't very athletic, and his lateral speed is horrible. He crashing down and then when the running back cuts outside he doesn't have the speed to chase him down. This scenerio was more on backside run support.

George Cumby
12-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Walden has a trial date set for February 16. Am I the only person here thinking that his level of play has dropped off since his arrest? Maybe having a tough time giving football his undivided attention?

Concur. He was playing his best ball, had a pretty good game against the Lions and "poof", he's playing like crap.

red
12-27-2011, 07:24 PM
i've been starting to think that maybe we should tag and trade finley for a proven OLB or 3-4 DE

we should be able to get a real good young one for fin

fins got a case of the drops lately, but i'm starting to think we might not need him. for WR we have jennings, nelson, jones, cobb and probably either driver or gurley

thats 5 good WR's. then we have a whole shitload of te's that are capable of catching a ball and holding on when they need to

we could trade finley and not miss a beat i think

Tarlam!
12-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Come on, Red. Does that sound like a TT move?

mission
12-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Part of the problem is that Walden might be black, but he isn't very athletic, and his lateral speed is horrible. He crashing down and then when the running back cuts outside he doesn't have the speed to chase him down. This scenerio was more on backside run support.

:lol: but true!! Might as well put a #50 on him, you wouldn't know the difference!

King Friday
12-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Burnett has been a disappointment.

I don't think so...kid played with a club for half the year. The kid is basically almost a rookie still...he played for a couple games last year, got hurt then couldn't practice all offseason during the holdout. If you will remember, Collins didn't exactly light it up his first 2-3 years either.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Saying he has been a disappointment doesn't mean I don't think he'll be a good safety, but he and Peprah have not provided good safety play. There may be a reason for it, but it hasn't been good.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2011, 09:00 PM
No, it would not be worth losing one of those players to sign Jenkins. Maybe you want to throw Clay Mathews & Aaron Rodgers on that list too.

Jenkins signed for (effectively) a cap-friendly one year deal. The opportunity cost argument is bogus.

Depends on if the Packers can get any more deals done this year. They have $6M in cap space because they didn't use that money on Jenkins. Perhaps they'll find a way to get Wells or another player signed to a contract extension that's front loaded to use the cap space that Jenkins deal would have eaten up.

pbmax
12-27-2011, 09:51 PM
I didn't see the FB blocks but I buy it. Something was killing the Packers contain and pursuit on that wide run.

gbgary
12-27-2011, 10:04 PM
i've been starting to think that maybe we should tag and trade finley for a proven OLB or 3-4 DE

fins got a case of the drops lately, but i'm starting to think we might not need him. for WR we have jennings, nelson, jones, cobb and probably either driver or gurley

thats 5 good WR's. then we have a whole shitload of te's that are capable of catching a ball and holding on when they need to

wouldn't want to take a giant step backward on o for the sake of a few tackles/sacks on d. just fix the d.

Brandon494
12-27-2011, 10:29 PM

Or just use the upcoming draft to fill our needs like we always do, we've lost one game all season no need to make any major changes.

Brandon494
12-27-2011, 10:36 PM
BTW AJ Hawk played just as bad this game....again. I know they just resigned him but I hope hes gone next season. He signed a 5 year deal but his base salary this year is only 1.2M and goes up to 4.4M next season. He did get a 8M signing bonus somehow so they will probably end up keeping his under performing ass for another season.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Actually, Hawk was pretty good this game. Bishop had his struggles and Walden plain sucked.

Brandon494
12-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Actually, Hawk was pretty good this game. Bishop had his struggles and Walden plain sucked.

Might want to go rewatch that game bro

mraynrand
12-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Might want to go rewatch that game bro

I'm excited to see Bishop back. Hawk was horrible. I'd like to see Francois with Bishop on passing downs.

Tarlam!
12-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Depends on if the Packers can get any more deals done this year. They have $6M in cap space because they didn't use that money on Jenkins. Perhaps they'll find a way to get Wells or another player signed to a contract extension that's front loaded to use the cap space that Jenkins deal would have eaten up.

Harv, under the new CBA, the cap rules have changed. I think the deadline for allocating money to this season's cap has elapsed. But, I also mean to have read, unused cap money can be pushed into next year. Maybe someone knows more about? I think I read it on either Packers.com or NFL.com.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2011, 10:59 PM
12 tackles, 2 for losses, only one tackle more than 7 yards down the field and that was on a pass play to a WR when he wasn't the primary cover guy. Might want to rewatch the game yourself.

I thought he struggled in the KC game in his first game back, but he was one of the few in this game that actually showed up to play.

pbmax
12-27-2011, 11:06 PM
McGinn thought he played "awful. Despite his size and strength, he plays small and doesn't shed blocks. He was late recognizing blocking combinations, didn't move well laterally and failed on some run-throughs."

Before reading that, I wouldn't have termed it awful, but invisible. Except for the one tackle behind the LOS I remember, I mostly remember him being unavailable or getting run over while making a tackle. I don't think Hawk's limitations have necessarily grown, but he seems to be suffering more from the D line's struggles than Bishop.

Fritz
12-28-2011, 05:59 AM
I agree. Hawk is often in the right place but man, he can't shed a blocker to save his life. And when he tackles, he often seems to be taking the blow rather than giving it.

Fritz
12-28-2011, 06:03 AM
Re: Thread Title

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/09/340x_ey5vw_ejqsa_01.jpg

Brandon494
12-28-2011, 06:55 AM
12 tackles, 2 for losses, only one tackle more than 7 yards down the field and that was on a pass play to a WR when he wasn't the primary cover guy. Might want to rewatch the game yourself.

I thought he struggled in the KC game in his first game back, but he was one of the few in this game that actually showed up to play.

I don't need stats I watched the whole game. I guarantee you can't find one article that says Hawk played well but I can find you a couple that proved he played like shit again. The guy made one tackle for a loss all night but every other tackle he was being dragged like a rag doll by the Bears RBs for positive yards. I mean what exactly does Hawk excel at? Smith needs to be starting next year over him IMO.

Brandon494
12-28-2011, 06:55 AM
As well as Soto over Walden

SkinBasket
12-28-2011, 08:29 AM

Bishop did play pretty retarded, but I would expect that after so much time off the field. I was going to make a thread about him until Walden totally outshined his poor performance with his own legendary suckfest.

pbmax
12-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Yes on Bishop, but he showed the instincts that distinguish him from Hawk and Barnett. He made one play on that wide run (this time I think it was to the O's right) with pulling center and guard in which he shot the gap and grabbed the runner before he could get to the hole/edge. MNF ran a replay of it. Don't get me wrong, I am the same poster who said he was far to reckless and undisciplined to play a year and a half ago, but he has shown that with experience he can be more reliable than I thought.

Hawk does seem to have played more behind the LOS this year, but even there it doesn't always result in someone going down. And if he is in a traditional spot, he always seems to be going backward.

HarveyWallbangers
12-28-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't agree with the assessment. The local guys (McGinn and the high school assistant they have on GBPG) haven't exactly been big Hawk backers. When the DL plays as awful as they did in the last game, it will make the LBs look worse. IMHO, Bishop was worse in this game and Walden was much worse. Hawk kept a lot of big gains to 5 yards or less.

Harlan Huckleby
12-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Re: Thread Title

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/09/340x_ey5vw_ejqsa_01.jpg That reminds me so much of the first car I bought new, a Chrysler K car back in early 80's. You DO want the extended warranty with one of those babies.

Harlan Huckleby
12-28-2011, 10:10 AM
When the DL plays as awful as they did in the last game, it will make the LBs look worse.

this was my observation as well.

But this was a game where I decided to not play Matt Millen (amateur GM), particularly with the defense. When the D was on the field, I covered my eyes until the play was over, then took notice of the new marker, ussually as they were spotting the new first down.

On a related note, fuck football games on Christmas and Christmas eve. And maybe get rid of the thanksgiving game as well. It's too much of a good thing, holidays should be holidays from routines.

Brandon494
12-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Your crazy, getting to watch the Pack play on turkey day and X-Mas made the holidays that much better.... oh yea and Hawk still sucks!

Tarlam!
12-28-2011, 10:48 AM
When the D was on the field, I covered my eyes until the play was over, then took notice of the new marker, ussually as they were spotting the new first down.

. Dread? Why do we watch football if not for entertainment, and there is nothing more entertaining than seeing the packers rise to challenge of a tough opponent. The packers will be favored in every game, how safe do you need it?

I just can't understand the fear of losing. Its dissapointing, but nobody comes and repossesses your car. I don't want the Packers to advance by luck of the draw, I want them to play and beat the best. Its only a game on TV.

You crack me up!

Fritz
12-28-2011, 11:46 AM
If you bet your car on the Packers winning, and they lost, you better believe they'd come repo your car if the Packers lost!

SkinBasket
12-28-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't need stats I watched the whole game.

You're like the black Partial sometimes.

Deputy Nutz
12-28-2011, 04:12 PM
in a 3-4 defense, when the defensive line falls apart don't expect the inside linebackers to shine. Hawk is very stiff and refuses to use his football instincts or can't instinctively make a play. That being said when players that are asked to hold the point of attack fail everyone on the back end are playing catch up. Hawk had one of his better games considering how bad the defensive line played and how poorly Walden played.

Also in a 3-4 you can't run around blocks, if you do you create pockets in the defense for ball carriers to run through.

Hawk is tackling like the ball carrier is covered in vaseline.

Deputy Nutz
12-28-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't need stats I watched the whole game. I guarantee you can't find one article that says Hawk played well but I can find you a couple that proved he played like shit again. The guy made one tackle for a loss all night but every other tackle he was being dragged like a rag doll by the Bears RBs for positive yards. I mean what exactly does Hawk excel at? Smith needs to be starting next year over him IMO.

thanks for watching the whole game and sharing your opinions.

Freak Out
12-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Hawk is tackling like the ball carrier is covered in vaseline.

Hawk said later he thought it was Astroglide.

Brandon494
12-28-2011, 04:39 PM

Hes trying to give me stats to prove Hawk didn't have a bad game but saying Bishop did even thought Bishop had better stats. The run defense as a unit sucked anus but doesn't really matter when ARod is on his game.

Brandon494
12-28-2011, 04:39 PM
thanks for watching the whole game and sharing your opinions.

Your very welcome

Zool
12-29-2011, 09:55 AM
The D as a whole apparently can't or just doesn't bother to take a guy down on first contact.

Outside of CM3 the whole D sucked donkey anus. Every one of them should be ashamed and embarrassed. If they play like that in the playoffs for even a half, the season will end that day.

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2011, 10:07 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/waldens-linebacker-spot-may-be-up-for-grabs-v03jmlj-136353628.html

Walden had the flu against Chicago, lost 7 pounds in day leading up to game.

It's a measure of how poorly So'oto, Jones and Zombo are playing that Walden was out there at all.

Walden is like Newhouse and Peprah. They are guys you don't want starting, but you hope they will get better. And you keep hoping.

Every team has a Newhouse or Walden they are forced to trot out, typically one or two on each side of the ball.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 10:32 AM
OK, I'd buy the flu explanation if he hadn't been the same player for the previous two weeks.

Brandon494
12-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Guess AJ Hawk must have mono then the way he's been playing all season.

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2011, 10:44 AM
OK, I'd buy the flu explanation if he hadn't been the same player for the previous two weeks.
Two games?

Walden was not so bad at KC as Chicago, the main criticism there was he got fooled in space.

Walden had a stretch of 3 or 4 games prior to KC where he played well. Maybe his weakness (stupidity) just didn't show up.

Walden is better than Zombo, Jones and So'oto. That's the unfortunate bottom line.

Brandon494
12-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Walden is better than Zombo, Jones and So'oto. That's the unfortunate bottom line.

I think So'oto is a better player but just needs experience. Having no training camp and the early injury really set him back but I think he'll be a player for us in the future.

Patler
12-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Harv, under the new CBA, the cap rules have changed. I think the deadline for allocating money to this season's cap has elapsed. But, I also mean to have read, unused cap money can be pushed into next year. Maybe someone knows more about? I think I read it on either Packers.com or NFL.com.

Under the new CBA:

Carrying Over Room.
A Club may "carry over" Room from one League Year to the following League Year by submitting notice in writing signed by the owner to the NFL no later than fourteen (1 4) days prior to the start of the next League Year indicating the maximum amount of Room that the Club wishes to carry over. The NFL shall prompdy provide a copy of any such notice to the NFLP A. The amount of Room carried over will be adjusted downward based on the final Room available after the year-end reconciliation.

Basically, the new CBA eliminates the need to sign contracts with fake bonuses that everyone knew would not be earned. Now the team simply advises the league how much they will be carrying over.

KYPack
12-29-2011, 10:56 AM
There's a series of problems, hopefully we can solve some of it. First, we need Pickett back in there. Ryan has had a spectacular year, up until the concussions. Dom is hosed until he can get pickett back in there. i'd think he'd want to put Pickett back at nose and move Raji out to RDE in a 5 tech.

Then they have to get a crowbar or a hammer and pound CONTAIN into Walden's evidently tiny brain. A huge problem has been that the "wide" team on the right side does not trust Walden at all. This reached critical in the Chief game. Walden was freelancing, not communicating, and giving up contain whenever he felt like it. They benched him, put in Zombo, who proceeded to do the same shit.

We now have two crazy guys (Zombo & Walden) & two green kids. The addition of Pickett as an end or freeing Raji to play end will help a lot. Walden responded to the message the Dolphins sent him last season when they cut him for not focusing. Maybe, he brain will click back into the on position and he will settle down & return to form.

One way or the other, we will see just how good coaches Greene and Capers are.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Two games?

Walden was not so bad at KC as Chicago, the main criticism there was he got fooled in space.

Walden had a stretch of 3 or 4 games prior to KC where he played well. Maybe his weakness (stupidity) just didn't show up.

KC was the game where they first ran with complete impunity outside to Walden's side of the field. They ran their monster back wide left (o left) twice to drain the clock at the end of the game after the onside kick failed.

EDIT: KYPack is right, that last drive was with Zombo in the game. But they ran that same play earlier with similar success.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Under the new CBA:

Basically, the new CBA eliminates the need to sign contracts with fake bonuses that everyone knew would not be earned. Now the team simply advises the league how much they will be carrying over.

I think the deadline for a new player deal, to count versus the current cap year, was also extended. A different side of the same coin. So Finley or Wells could have been signed to a new deal burning 2011 cap space later than previously. The difference was only a week or two and with the "notification" provision Patler mentions, might make the late season deal for a prime soon to be FA less urgent.

KYPack
12-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Two games?

Walden was so bad against the Chefs (on purpose sp), they benched his ass. Two lousy games is a lot of influenza.

Zool
12-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Walden was so bad against the Chefs (on purpose sp), they benched his ass. Two lousy games is a lot of influenza.

Walden is HH's next Newhouse project.

There will be a thread soon.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 11:13 AM

Wasn't it Partial who did NOT watch the games, but could discern relative player value by newspaper coverage and stats?

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Walden was worse at Chicago. And you are just dismissing his stronger games prior to KC. He looked like great black hope.

If Walden is so horrible, who do you want to play instead, Jones? Why focus on Walden, jump on So'oto who is worse.

I am not buying So'oto's alleged upside. He is kinda stiff, a straight-line guy. Haven't seen enough to be sure, of course, but he is no more than another prospect. Walden looked like Superman in spurts too. Zombo had moments.

Packers need to draft or sign free agent talent, in all likelihood.

Brandon494
12-29-2011, 11:55 AM
HH doesn't like So'oto, he's a lock to be a future pro bowler now! Lmao

Fritz
12-29-2011, 12:00 PM
From what I can tell, it is crucial in Capers' scheme that guys are assignment-sure. So'oto said he did some good things against da Bears but also noted that he blew some assignments. You just can't have that - especially in the playoffs - so I think So'oto will not be the short-term godsend we'd like him to be.

Walden may have lost seven pounds, two of which appeared to have been in the cranial area. I'm not sure why, after a season to learn, he's regressing, but he seems to be.

Apparently Jones is more assignment sure but brings nothing to the table.

And it appears that Zombo is not exactly Mr. Consistency.

And Jarami Lattimore is also a raw rookie, and a light one at that.

So it seems to me that there are no good options - just the best of a bad bunch. And that appears to be either Zombo - who needs to prove he can stay on his assignments while tackling well - or Walden, who needs to play with his head pulled out of his ass.

I hope both understand that - especially Zombo, whom I fear will try to show coaches he's good by making a big splash, maybe taking chances to try to make a play instead of being assignment-sure. We need someone to play - dare I say this? - like AJ Hawk plays his spot.

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2011, 12:09 PM
HH doesn't like So'oto, he's a lock to be a future pro bowler now! Lmao
how did 32 GMs like So'oto on draft day?

An undrafted defensive lineman moved to 3-4 linebacker ain't a lock for anything, even with benefit of my skepticism.

I have a TV, I saw So'oto rush around a couple defensive tackles in preseason. Maybe he can make it, but put the jar of vaseline away for now.

Patler
12-29-2011, 12:09 PM
I think the deadline for a new player deal, to count versus the current cap year, was also extended. A different side of the same coin. So Finley or Wells could have been signed to a new deal burning 2011 cap space later than previously. The difference was only a week or two and with the "notification" provision Patler mentions, might make the late season deal for a prime soon to be FA less urgent.

We need to be careful not to confuse separate issues:

- Renegotiating a current player contract to include a change in his current year salary. Under the old CBA, they could change current year salary through about the middle of the season. I believe that date was a little later this year. Whether that is permanent or just for this year I'm not sure. After the cutoff date, you can still renegotiate and extend a contract, but it can't include a change to current year salary. Doing it before the cutoff gives a team maximum flexibility in giving the player an acceptable level of guaranteed money while splitting the salary cap hit in a way the team wants by dividing the guaranteed money between current year salary (all counted against the current cap) and signing bonus (allocated over the years of the contract.)

- Renegotiating a current contract to include extended years, with bonuses, etc. but no change to current year salary. I believe this can be done through a cutoff day in week 17. Obviously, this late in the season, it might take more to sign a player that is in the last year of his contract because any discount for risk of injury is minimized. The team has less flexibility in determining how the guaranteed money hits a salary cap. There is little incentive for either the team or player to do it now as opposed to waiting to the off season.

- Renegotiating a current player contract to include a performance bonus in a "likely to be earned" category, but one that you knew the player would not earn. This was done for the sole purpose of pushing unused salary cap space into the next season cap. Under the old CBA this could be done until just before the last weekend of the regular season. The new CBA eliminates the need for this. In the off season, just before the end of the league year, the team merely needs to advise the league of the amount it will push forward.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 12:16 PM

- Renegotiating a current player contract to include a change in his current year salary. Under the old CBA, they could change current year salary through about the middle of the season. I believe that date was a little later this year. Whether that is permanent or just for this year I'm not sure. After the cutoff date, you can still renegotiate and extend a contract, but it can't include a change to current year salary. Doing it before the cutoff gives a team maximum flexibility in giving the player an acceptable level of guaranteed money while splitting the salary cap hit in a way the team wants by dividing the guaranteed money between current year salary (all counted against the current cap) and signing bonus (allocated over the years of the contract.)

- Renegotiating a current contract to include extended years, with bonuses, etc. but no change to current year salary. I believe this can be done through a cutoff day in week 17. Obviously, this late in the season, it might take more to sign a player that is in the last year of his contract because any discount for risk of injury is minimized. The team has less flexibility in determining how the guaranteed money hits a salary cap. There is little incentive for either the team or player to do it now as opposed to waiting to the off season.

- Renegotiating a current player contract to include a performance bonus in a "likely to be earned" category, but one that you knew the player would not earn. This was done for the sole purpose of pushing unused salary cap space into the next season cap. Under the old CBA this could be done until just before the last weekend of the regular season. The new CBA eliminates the need for this. In the off season, just before the end of the league year, the team merely needs to advise the league of the amount it will push forward.

This is the change I was referring to.

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Walden, who needs to play with his head pulled out of his ass. As Mrs. Gump said, stupid is as stupid does. I'm afraid Walden's problem is unfixable, teams have scouted him now and know he is easily fooled. But this pony does have a couple tricks: he's physical, and can get decent pressure on QB at times.

Patler
12-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Is Walden really regressing, as some have said, or did he simply have a bad game in KC followed by a game in which the after-effects of the flu made him incapable of playing?

Zombo has been on the shelf so much this year that it is like preseason games all over again for him. He needs to get up to game speed and game awareness.

Absent injuries, I suspect So'oto will be inactive for playoff games. So'oto was said to be very raw this week in play from scrimmage, and in the past has been said to be "learning" on special teams with no previous experience. Jones is said to be assignment sure and has played quite well on STs. Zombo has experience, provided some pass rush last year and has played STs in the past.

Patler
12-29-2011, 12:27 PM

This is the change I was referring to.

Ya, I know, but I think some are confusing the first and the third. The first didn't really change, just might have been a little later this year. The third has been all but eliminated under the new CBA.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Is Walden really regressing, as some have said, or did he simply have a bad game in KC followed by a game in which the after-effects of the flu made him incapable of playing?

Zombo has been on the shelf so much this year that it is like preseason games all over again for him. He needs to get up to game speed and game awareness.

Absent injuries, I suspect So'oto will be inactive for playoff games. So'oto was said to be very raw this week in play from scrimmage, and in the past has been said to be "learning" on special teams with no previous experience. Jones is said to be assignment sure and has played quite well on STs. Zombo has experience, provided some pass rush last year and has played STs in the past.

I have rarely seen a team get outside like that before on this 3-4 like the last two games. One factor could be Pickett's absence and the play of the D line as Nutz mentioned somewhere. With both Raji (1 technique) and Green (3 tech) in different spots in the base D, they may simply not be performing like they would in their normal spots or like Pickett would alongside them. That might make a difference to the ILBs who would then be available to string out the play until the safety and pursuit catch up.

Not to mention that both Pickett and Raji have penetrated to stop such plays before.

But even if that was the case, its a huge weakness to give up the edge to a single block by the TE or FB that easily. Even Matthews gets blocked, but not play after play. It may have exposed a weakness in Walden's game that wasn't as apparent as before.

So he may not have regressed, but been exposed.

Patler
12-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Its not like no other team has tried to run wide left before week 15. Teams have been avoiding Matthews all year. Until late November, the talk was that Walden was setting a strong edge against the run all year. The part he was said to be learning (and improving) was recognition in pass coverage. At the time of his arrest, a few on here (and elsewhere) were lamenting his poor timing because he was playing well.

Fritz
12-29-2011, 01:17 PM
This leads one to wonder if the off-the-field issues are, well, an issue. However, I tend to think not, at least insofar as the charge is now a misdemeanor. Still, maybe his relationship issues are having an effect. It's hard to say what's going on, but I think we all hope that Patler is right - it's one bad game followed by one "sick" game.

I do think it's going to be Zombo and Walden in the playoffs. They do have the most experience, outside Mr. Jones, and he has done so little as to not be part of the conversation for most of the year.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Its not like no other team has tried to run wide left before week 15. Teams have been avoiding Matthews all year. Until late November, the talk was that Walden was setting a strong edge against the run all year. The part he was said to be learning (and improving) was recognition in pass coverage. At the time of his arrest, a few on here (and elsewhere) were lamenting his poor timing because he was playing well.

Coverage and he was still getting sucked inside to fast allowing cut backs to runners behind him. It seemed like his list of flaws was getting shorter when he picked up his pass rush mid-season.

Cheesehead Craig
12-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Bring back Frankenbacker!

HarveyWallbangers
12-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Frankly, I'm not sure I buy that Walden has been setting a strong edge all year. To me it's been a weakness of his since he's been starting. He's athletic and can rush the passer a bit (mostly when it's a disguised blitz and OL aren't quick enough to get back out to him). He seems to be pretty solid in coverage to me. I think his run stopping ability has been average at best. He's a little light in the britches as they say. I will say that I think he had a really nice stretch in the middle of the year. Hopefully, he gets back to that level. The last two weeks have been bad, and Zombo wasn't any better at the end of the KC game.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Frankly, I'm not sure I buy that Walden has been setting a strong edge all year. To me it's been a weakness of his since he's been starting. He's athletic and can rush the passer a bit (mostly when it's a disguised blitz and OL aren't quick enough to get back out to him). He seems to be pretty solid in coverage to me. I think his run stopping ability has been average at best. He's a little light in the britches as they say. I will say that I think he had a really nice stretch in the middle of the year. Hopefully, he gets back to that level. The last two weeks have been bad, and Zombo wasn't any better at the end of the KC game.

This is where I always get confused about him because wasn't he designated the best edge setter/run defender in the camp competition? Obviously that is relative value, but usually the story was Zombo pass rush, Walden outside run D and Jones in coverage.

mraynrand
12-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Apparently, this thing is radio controlled. Would t'were that the same could be said for Walden.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Apparently, this thing is radio controlled. Would t'were that the same could be said for Walden.

We would need to hack him to improve his Madden numbers.

KYPack
12-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Walden was worse at Chicago. And you are just dismissing his stronger games prior to KC. He looked like great black hope.

If Walden is so horrible, who do you want to play instead, Jones? Why focus on Walden, jump on So'oto who is worse.

I am not buying So'oto's alleged upside. He is kinda stiff, a straight-line guy. Haven't seen enough to be sure, of course, but he is no more than another prospect. Walden looked like Superman in spurts too. Zombo had moments.

Packers need to draft or sign free agent talent, in all likelihood.

I ain't dismissing shit, Harlan. Walden has had his moments, I basically agree with Harve. He's not a run stuffer guy, but can get some pass rush.

He'd be helping a lot if he'd get in position against the run.

This bad streak might be just what the doctor ordered for Walden. He's not a great focus guy. The threat of him losing his gig is now very real. That usually gets any pro highly motivated.

Coach Kevin will do his best job of breaking it down for Walden into bite sized pieces. Let's see if the lad can digest 'em and get his ass going.

Zombo, Jones, and the kids aren't really great options, Walden needs to fold back his ears and haul ass.

Fritz
12-30-2011, 06:50 AM
You're right, Kentucky. Walden needs to fold back his ears, not pin them back.

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2011, 09:10 AM
This is where I always get confused about him because wasn't he designated the best edge setter/run defender in the camp competition? Obviously that is relative value, but usually the story was Zombo pass rush, Walden outside run D and Jones in coverage.

This is where it got strange. Our (the fine people on PR) opinions varied considerably. Here's what I said during training camp:

Strange that so many people can see these three in such different ways. My feeling has been:

Zombo - best pass rush potential, decent in the run game, terrible in coverage.
Jones - good in coverage, decent in the run game, not a great pass rusher.
Walden - good in coverage, athletic, tenacious but needs strength to help out his pass rush and run stopping.

Put the strengths of the three together and you have a pretty good LB.