PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Stat

Carolina_Packer
12-26-2011, 08:54 AM
I was watching the broadcast last night and they put up a stat that amazed me. The Packers have given up more yards on defense than they have amassed on offense. Yet, here they are at 14-1. Wow, that speaks a lot about the offense and what they are able to do to carry the team.

Is the Packer's defense going to get it together for the playoffs? I know they have some folks banged up, but they were regularly giving up big gains to a third string tailback and the practice squad guy had some production too. Pickett being out doesn't help, but this defense has had issues all season. I know everyone says bend but don't break, scoring defense, takeaways, etc., but this is still concerning going into the playoffs. Imagine if we had the same production as we had last year at this time? I think there are some defensive roster upgrades coming next year. What do you think of our D and the prospects as we head to the playoffs? Do you think they can put it together? I don't see much in the way of pressure on the QB. I don't care about sacks, I just care about disruption. That ain't happening enough.

Upnorth
12-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Turnovers are the key. Other teams throw to catch up, we get a pick and the d gives up 50ish pointless yards. All season our team has given up 17 important points in the 4th quarter (game within 8). This d can go into lockdown and are better than raw stats impy.

HarveyWallbangers
12-26-2011, 12:28 PM
The defense hasn't been great, but let's not forget that we've had a lot of games like last night. We have a huge lead and then the other team gets a couple of long, meaningless drives at the end where they pad the stats against our defense. Given the turnovers they create and some of the bogus late yards/points, I'd say the defense is closer to average than awful. They still scare me, but I think it might be good enough--once we get Pickett back and once Walden gets his head out of his ass or they find somebody to replace him.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2011, 12:30 PM
the turnovers are not lucky. the defenders are taking positions and risks that allow more passing yards but create more turnovers.

pbmax
12-26-2011, 01:05 PM
The defense hasn't been great, but let's not forget that we've had a lot of games like last night. We have a huge lead and then the other team gets a couple of long, meaningless drives at the end where they pad the stats against our defense. Given the turnovers they create and some of the bogus late yards/points, I'd say the defense is closer to average than awful. They still scare me, but I think it might be good enough--once we get Pickett back and once Walden gets his head out of his ass or they find somebody to replace him.

Listen to the man who wears a helmet at all times.

Tarlam!
12-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Yards do not equal points. Dom has been playing "bend don't break" all year. It worked 14 times and the 1 time it did not, the Offense sputtered. So, as long as the "D" don't break and the "O" turns up to play, all will be good.

CaliforniaCheez
12-28-2011, 10:15 AM
You cannot change it now. We are all strapped in riding it to the finish line.
Worry about it as the draft approaches.

By the way which team would you swap straight up that has a better chance than the Packers?

Joemailman
12-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Packers have intercepted 29 passes. Rodgers has thrown 6 interceptions.

Packers are number 2 in offensive red zone efficiency. Touchdowns beat field goals.