PDA

View Full Version : Starks/Grant

RashanGary
12-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Starks - 578 yards, 5.3 YPC
Grant - 511 yards, 5.2 YPC

We needed both. It helps alot to have two of them, especially with these bad weather games coming up. Two no-nonsense RBs with fresh legs and fresh bodies is going to bode well for our chances of getting to SB XLVI

PA Pack Fan
12-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Two no-nonsense RB's?
Chicago's #4 running back had more yards then our #1 and #2 no-nonsense running backs combined. Our running game is a disgrace. Bell looked 10x as fast as either Grant or starks. Thats the one thing I liked about Saine, he looked faster than G\S.

RashanGary
12-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Two no-nonsense RB's? You wanna hear what nonsense is?

Chicago's #4 running back had more yards then our #1 and #2 combined. Our running game is a disgrace.

You're an idiot.

Scott Campbell
12-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Also nice to see Saine back.

PA Pack Fan
12-26-2011, 09:42 AM
You're an idiot.

Thank you. Now go look at a few stats.

I like our chances of getting to the SuperBowl again, but not because of our running game.

ND72
12-26-2011, 11:18 AM
I am afraid on both sides dealing with the running game. The worst OL in pro football, and the 4th string RB for chicago ate up our defense. I don't care they didn't score TD's or whatever...SF will, NYG will. Scares me badly. And still, McCarthy refuses to run the ball. It isn't that our running game is bad, and it isn't that our RB's are bad...if you look at the over all stats our running game statisitcally is pretty good....it's just that McCarthy refuses to run the ball, and it could cost us at home in the playoffs.

mission
12-26-2011, 12:02 PM
The running game on either side doesn't worry me at all.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Starks got reinjured yesterday, which went uncommented by the announcers. He didn't look 100%, frustrating. Grant looks entirely different player compared to first 10 or 12 games.

Upnorth
12-26-2011, 12:27 PM
On O we have two backs who average over 5 ypc. Close to half of their carries come in grind the clock situations. I don't worry about our offensive running game. It is not great but is good and Grant is looking like Granmt from two years ago, a top ten back when given the chance.

Our run d gets gashed for yards and then becomes a wall in the red zone. I'm not convinced you could show me ten more efficent run d's in the league. They aren't great but are good. Yards really don't matter efficency does.

smuggler
12-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Grant is the guy. He looked more than capable yesterday. Starks is injury prone, it seems. Grant is tough, if unspectacular.

pbmax
12-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Starks had a bruised ankle, which in McCarthy injury-speak means he has a chance to play next week.

King Friday
12-26-2011, 01:11 PM
I really want to see more of Seine...the guy is faster than either Grant or Starks and has good hands as a receiver. I think he's the best RB we have on the roster, but he probably isn't as good in pass pro as the other 2. That's what is keeping him off the field. He certainly didn't have to worry about that at Ohio State with Prior at QB, who was running the ball half the time anyway.

Tarlam!
12-26-2011, 02:04 PM
You're an idiot.

Well, JH, you just won that discussion! great job!

Tarlam!
12-26-2011, 02:09 PM
I really want to see more of Seine...the guy is faster than either Grant or Starks and has good hands as a receiver. I think he's the best RB we have on the roster, but he probably isn't as good in pass pro as the other 2. That's what is keeping him off the field. He certainly didn't have to worry about that at Ohio State with Prior at QB, who was running the ball half the time anyway.

On this year's roster. JH has the hots for Green, who was IRed. So, maybe the Packers are Grantless next season?

MJZiggy
12-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Starks had a bruised ankle, which in McCarthy injury-speak means he has a chance to play next week.

I thought bruised ankle meant his leg would be amputated below the knee by New Years. He'll learn to play on the prosthetic in the offseason.

red
12-26-2011, 03:53 PM
all we need out of grant and starks is the threat of them running

with the play action working we win another super bowl

Tarlam!
12-26-2011, 04:35 PM
I thought bruised ankle meant his leg would be amputated below the knee by New Years. He'll learn to play on the prosthetic in the offseason.

BOMNF! Bitch! I laughed so hard I think I woke the neighbors kids!

George Cumby
12-26-2011, 04:53 PM
It's a passing league. When's the last time a team ran itself to a championship? 5 yards per carry is great.

The scoring and red zone defense is what is important to me, not run defense.

RashanGary
12-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Starks got reinjured yesterday, which went uncommented by the announcers. He didn't look 100%, frustrating. Grant looks entirely different player compared to first 10 or 12 games.

This is pretty much it in a sentence. It was a real blessing for Grant to have Starks carry the load for the first half of the season. Grant looks noticeably better the last couple games and I don't know if that would have been the case had Grant been carrying the ball 15 times a game all season.

Now that Grant is back. . . part of what makes him a good player is that he's reliable. He had that injury where a guy just toppled his ankle. I don't know if any player could have come out of that healthy, but by and large, he's durable as heck and pretty good.

I'd take a 100% Starks, but now that we have a 100% Grant, we can afford the bi-weekly Starks injury.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Starks is a tease. He is an enthusiastic player, but then seems to lose decisiveness when he gets stoned a couple times. I really hope he settles into a groove. His challenge is between the ears.

Grant is playing aggressive & confident.

pittstang5
12-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Starks just needs to stop dancing. Hit the hole and go.

Tarlam!
12-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Starks just needs to stop dancing. Hit the hole and go.

How many years did we say this about B-Jack?

bobblehead
12-26-2011, 09:50 PM
I am afraid on both sides dealing with the running game. The worst OL in pro football, and the 4th string RB for chicago ate up our defense. I don't care they didn't score TD's or whatever...SF will, NYG will. Scares me badly. And still, McCarthy refuses to run the ball. It isn't that our running game is bad, and it isn't that our RB's are bad...if you look at the over all stats our running game statisitcally is pretty good....it's just that McCarthy refuses to run the ball, and it could cost us at home in the playoffs.

Its a passing league...no need to run the ball anymore.

bobblehead
12-26-2011, 09:52 PM

Against KC Grant ran square into Sitton on a 3rd and short play where the ENTIRE left side of the field was unoccupied. It helped cost us the game. He always plays very well against chicago (can't explain it), but he has looked very average this year. I actually LIKE our run blocking most of the time, we just need to call more running plays.

bobblehead
12-26-2011, 09:53 PM

In MM speak it could also mean his career is over.

RashanGary
12-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Starks is a tease. He is an enthusiastic player, but then seems to lose decisiveness when he gets stoned a couple times. I really hope he settles into a groove. His challenge is between the ears.

Grant is playing aggressive & confident.

The Bears are one of the most veteran, disciplined run defenses in the NFL. A guy like Grant who has almost no hesitation (you could also call it patience when it's working) runs well against the Bears it seems. Starks needs to adjust his game to the defense he's playing. You have to be yourself, but you also have to adjust to the conditions a little too. The Bears are going to be in their gaps. You're probably not going to have a lot of time to get the seam. Just get the ball and go forward, maybe you'll slip off a guy.

Pugger
12-26-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm worried about Starks' ankle. When you re-injure your ankle it becomes even weaker (I speak from experience). They better rest him until the playoffs. It also looks like Starks screwed up in the backfield at least once. It appeared Rodgers was going to hand it off to Starks but he wasn't where he should have been and Aaron had to scramble to get past the LOS. You could see Rodgers after the busted play express his displeasure to James big time.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Starks repeatedly tried to play on unhealed injuries and ruined his season.

Fritz
12-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Grant does look good right now. He's running hard. In the Chicago game he had a nice gain near the sideline, had a chance to go out of bounds but didn't - he ran over another tackler. Starks looks mostly ineffective lately, due I think to those ankle problems. I would guess he's going to get two weeks of rest now.

Pugger
12-27-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm liking what I'm seeing with Saine too.

Brandon494
12-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Our running game is good enough, you have to factor in all the injuries we have had to the O-line and the fact that our RBs only get to run the ball like ten times a game with Rodgers playing like a boss at QB.

Upnorth
12-27-2011, 09:30 AM
So does SAine get more action this week with the starters sitting early? I hope so because it would be a thrill to see our run game take it to someone for a change. Plus it might make everyone prepare for runs a little more if we close out the year rushing all over the lions.

pbmax
12-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Against KC Grant ran square into Sitton on a 3rd and short play where the ENTIRE left side of the field was unoccupied. It helped cost us the game. He always plays very well against chicago (can't explain it), but he has looked very average this year. I actually LIKE our run blocking most of the time, we just need to call more running plays.

Its called the Edgar Bennett effect.

pbmax
12-27-2011, 09:36 AM
The Bears are one of the most veteran, disciplined run defenses in the NFL. A guy like Grant who has almost no hesitation (you could also call it patience when it's working) runs well against the Bears it seems. Starks needs to adjust his game to the defense he's playing. You have to be yourself, but you also have to adjust to the conditions a little too. The Bears are going to be in their gaps. You're probably not going to have a lot of time to get the seam. Just get the ball and go forward, maybe you'll slip off a guy.

Its the opposite of patience if he has no hesitation, isn't it? And like bobble noted, it causes him to choose the wrong hole sometimes. Neither he nor Starks are ideal in this respect. But the shuffled O line doesn't help here as nothing is predictable.

Starks is still more effective and has more reps as 3rd down back. Remember Kuhn's whiffed pass block that almost got Rodgers killed versus KC? The Pack need him around to be at their best. But Grant was enough versus the Bears that when they play actioned, it opened up the field for Rodgers and slowed the pass rush. A couple of nice screens helped as well, though those were early.

Fritz
12-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I think of all the question marks about who to rest and who to play, Starks is the guy you surely better rest for the next two-and-a-half weeks.