PDA

View Full Version : Special teams (and a couple hopeful tidbits)

RashanGary
12-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Mason Crosby is having a probowl year
Masthay is punting out of his mind down the stretch again
Cobb is a great returner who could break one on any given kick or punt
Our coverage units have been very good

We have a heck of a special teams unit. I think that goes a little unnoticed in this whole 14-1 run. We have the best offense in the league, one of the best ST's units in the league and a defense that is dominant at creating turnovers.

The optimistic tidbits. . . .

- Homefield
- We only have 3 legitimate players up front (Raji, Pickett and Matthews.) It's not what you're looking for when you look at your roster, but it's what we're working with. The optimistic part is that we're in position to have these guys 110% going into the playoffs. There aren't too many NFL players with fresh bodies in January. If our big 3 are ready to fuckin rumble, it could be a little boost for us.

We're 14-1. There's really no way to sit around and talk about how underrated we are. Sitting at the top, there's only two ways to go, flat or down. Obviously the talk is going to be about how it could crumble. It's a different team than last year, no doubt, but we're still an elite team. We have a shot at this thing. There's a lot of doom, gloom and worry. I have some of it too, but it's a fun year and a good team. I'm not ready to go crowning anyone, but I think we're a little too tough on our team sometimes. Shit, we're reigning champs and 14-1. We have some strengths too.

mraynrand
12-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Lee and Bush are an excellent tandem of gunners. Lee is approaching 'unblockable' status

RashanGary
12-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Lee and Bush are an excellent tandem of gunners. Lee is approaching 'unblockable' status

I know. I crowned him the worst football player in the world last year after he made a couple completely idiotic ST's plays as a gunner and how awful he is on defense (that doesn't seem to be changing much) But as a gunner. Holy shit, him and Bush are tearing it up. And they're doing the little things too. Unlike in the past, when the punt is deep, they get behind the returner and down those things inside the 10. Our punt unit is frickin dominant. That Goode/Masthay/Bush/Lee 4-some is really something. It's a little thing, but we're 14-1. . . . These little things get overlooked sometimes. We have a lot of little strengths that make us tough to beat. . . . ARs lack of fumbles/ints too. . . . . That's special.

Teams move the ball, but when you play Green Bay, one thing has been for damn sure. . . . you're going to have to beat us. You're not going to get too many lucky bounces. . . . We have a funny way of not screwing up the little things.

I remember the Patriot SB years being that way. Everyone talked for years how beatable they were, but they kept going out there and racking up trophies. We're a 14-1 underdog that everyone thinks they can beat. It'll be sweet music to hear the haters if we win another one. The Packers are stealthy good. They make ya wonder how they did it when it's said and done. But take a look. Another week. We won.

esoxx
12-26-2011, 11:34 AM
No doubt about it, ST's are much improved and likely will play large factor in whether Lombardi Trophy is hoisted again. I felt last year we actually had to overcome our tepid ST play in order to win the Championship. Now it's an ally instead of a foe. It should make enough of a difference to off-set the defensive decline and help bring the title back home.

Upnorth
12-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Fire Slocum? Anyone?

pbmax
12-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Masthay spits in the eyes of conventional meteorology and physics!

pbmax
12-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Fire Slocum? Anyone?

Yes, at least one is still on the bandwagon: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?23402-OFFICIAL-GREEN-BAY-PACKERS-VS-CHICAGO-BEARS-GAMEDAY-SUPER-DUPER-HOLIDAY-EDITION-THREAD&p=642993&highlight=#post642993

Who the F was playing L5 on the kick-off? You have to maintain that sidleine lane.

Oh yeah, fire Slocum!

Tarlam!
12-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah, Upnorth! Fire Slocum!

As a more knowledgeable poster pointed out on another thread, the depth this year and the lack of IRed players has meant a better bunch of STers.