PDA

View Full Version : Per PFT.com Favre quiting?

Rastak
08-16-2006, 10:15 AM
FAVRE RETIRING TODAY?

The early indications based on our discussions with league sources are that Favre will announce his retirement from the NFL at a Wednesday press conference.

As we write this one, we're trying hard not to pull one of those "Favre will retire, unless he doesn't" routines. Instead, our goal is merely to share the information that we currently have. This isn't a report that he will retire, and if he does retire we won't claim "as first reported on PFT". Our goal at this point is only to inform.

So here's what we know -- a response from one member of the organization to a direct question regarding whether Favre is calling it quits today did not have the "No way in hell!" or "I'm looking into this right now!" quality that would be expected upon hearing that The Franchise is walking away in the middle of training camp.

Favre went back and forth in the offseason regarding whether to return for another year of football. Though the team was under the impression for most of the offseason that Favre was indeed coming back, Peter King of Sports Illustrated reporting earlier this week that Favre did not make a final decision until he heard former NFL quarterback Phil Simms explain on Sirius NFL Radio that Favre should play as long as he is able to play.

The abrupt decision, if he does indeed retire, would come after a preseason game in which Favre got the potato sack treatment from the Chargers' front seven, due in large part to a young, inexperienced offensive line that is learning a new blocking scheme.

Taking over for Favre would be 2005 first-rounder Aaron Rodgers. The move also likely would put the Packers in the market for a veteran quarterback. Kerry Collins is the most recognizable name on the shelf.

Again, we're not saying that Favre is retiring. But the signs are surely pointing in that direction.

Rastak
08-16-2006, 10:17 AM
I thought Ziggy mentioned he always has a wednesday conference....I think Florio missed the boat here.

Cheesehead Craig
08-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Favre may very well say this is his last year. I don't think he would up and retire right now. And for the record, PFT is steaming pile of crap.

Patler
08-16-2006, 10:23 AM
The Packers announced at the start of training camp that Favre would meet with reporters only once a week during camp. They wanted to try and bring some normalcy into the whole media frenzy that follows him. It appears that even that isn't working.

ahaha
08-16-2006, 10:25 AM
So now the media is going to speculate on retirement everytime Brett has a press conference after a bad game? WTF?!?!

GBRulz
08-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Brett has always had Wed press conferences.... I can't believe all th B.S. that comes out of this now... well, it had BETTER be B.S. !!

woodbuck27
08-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Crips !! :mrgreen:

There is no way that Brett Favre would do that unless things are very serious in Green Bay.

There is no way that Brett Favre would pull the plug now, unless he feels he's set up and can't really help his team.

I won't believe that Brett Favre is retiring until I hear it from Brett Favre.

This information from PFT makes me sick !!

We need Brett Favre to do alot more than call it a career now. :mrgreen:

It's not going to happen, I pray.

Creepy
08-16-2006, 11:54 AM
It's BS. The only way Favre would retire now is if MM told him he was the back-up for the year. If that was the case, TT woudll have to fire MM, crawl on hands and knees to Bates to be HC or stick by MM and watch as the new Packer President fires both and hires Bates.

This is a normal press conference with the same routine answers. Anything more would have ESPN and evry sports figure heading to GB. As far as I know, there are available seats into GB.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Well, at least we'll find out today.....

MJZiggy
08-16-2006, 03:57 PM
So here's what we know -- a response from one member of the organization to a direct question regarding whether Favre is calling it quits today did not have the "No way in hell!" or "I'm looking into this right now!" quality that would be expected upon hearing that The Franchise is walking away in the middle of training camp.

I figured it out: someone in the Packer organization is pissed at Florio and wanted to make an idiot out of him--very effectively I might add!! :wink:

green_bowl_packer
08-16-2006, 06:49 PM
I don't understand Florio's hard-on for Favre and the Packers in general. He seems to have a journalistic grudge against all things Green Bay with the Lord Favre stuff at the top of the list. While he occasionally breaks a sensational story (more frequently lately as the site has grown, I'll give him that), he's obviously biased and has some integrity issues.

While he'll call out Havel and Favre, he did something journalistically sketchy recently with Matt Birk of the Vikings (so maybe he is a Viking fan as has been speculated). Last year in training camp Birk offered to play through his sports hernia if the Vikings gaurunteed his contract the following year basically extorting the Vikings to pay him if he got hurt according to PFT, so Florio was all over him for doing that. Then he starts doing player interviews on the site and one of the first happened to be with Matt Birk, not one mention of this issue he was so hot over occurred in the interview. So he pitched him softballs about the Vikings funny helmets instead. If he had any stones he'd of called him out on it.

Not to mention he mis-reported Broderick Bunkley of the Eagles got a DUI when he didn't, he had a bad source on the story and mixed up players. While I do actually enjoy the site his fervor to grow it and scoop other sources is gonna bite him in the ass one day.

POSTED 3:05 p.m. EDT, July 28, 2006

OUR BAD ON BUNKLEY

Oops. From the "Right Church, Wrong Pew" file, we've learned that those rumors that Eagles defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley were off the mark.

Instead, the guy who was nailed with a gun in his car was Eagles receiver Jabar Gaffney.

Um, the two names rhyme. Sort of.

Our apologies to Bunkley, his family, and his agent for the mistake.

So we repeat -- Brodrick Bunkley not arrested. We regret the error.

Joemailman
08-16-2006, 06:51 PM
I was at practice today. Brett was there. No, he was not in a rocking chair. :mrgreen:

Scott Campbell
08-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Even after he admitted he screwed up, he had the gall to post the "funny" pic on his site. What a scumbag.

Rastak
08-17-2006, 06:09 AM
Even after he admitted he screwed up, he had the gall to post the "funny" pic on his site. What a scumbag.

I thought it was pretty funny when he said at the end of the story following the "we goofed on Favre story" ....he wrote "just ignore the next three entries".
Cooler than deleting them which would have been bush league...it's a funny site, it sain't the front page of espn.

prsnfoto
08-17-2006, 08:44 AM

I thought it was pretty funny when he said at the end of the story following the "we goofed on Favre story" ....he wrote "just ignore the next three entries".
Cooler than deleting them which would have been bush league...it's a funny site, it sain't the front page of espn.

The site is not funny Florio is a moron and for his stupidity I hope Florio's team loses his #1 pick,#1 Wideout(drunk loser) and Brad Johnson for the season,oops two out of three ain't bad. Packer nation lets hope for a 8-8 for us and 4-12 for Florios Purple Queens.