mission
12-27-2011, 05:22 PM
tl;dr Cliff notes:
- My wife and I went to the game
- We got $76 tickets for $170
- Watched the Packers kick ass
- Drove home
- Some pictures below

Once a year I make it back to Wisconsin for the holidays where most of my family is. We decided to drive for a number of reasons -- most notably I was planning to take my wife to the Christmas Packer game for her first trip to Lambeau. She's a Georgia girl who never really got into the Falcons and over the last four years of being together, has really fallen in love with the Packers and everything they're about.

There were a lot of questions from family about not having tickets and if we thought it was a wise idea to go without them. I thought they just wanted us around for Christmas but they know me; when I get an idea, I just go for it and make it work. So off we went for a surprisingly short 2.5 hour (I was figuring at least another hour) drive to Green Bay. Calling people on Craigslist we found on the ipad, we seemed to be 10 minutes too late for all the ticket sales. Friendly sellers on the phone were warning me I might have a hard time finding these--they're getting swamped by callers and there are more people who want them than are selling them. Could sense my wife was nervous, but I just played it cool and told her our best chance was at the stadium anyway.

We pulled in early enough to get some decent parking on the stadium side by Kmart. First thing's first was to go over to the Hutson Center where the "licensed" scalpers were. I was getting worried when no one during the walk was trying to sell us tickets... every other time I remember plenty of "unlicensed" scalpers throughout the crowd charging an arm and a leg. Anyway, we get to the other side across the street from the Tailgate Tundra zone (or whatever it's called) and I see the same guy I got tickets from for the Cowboys game last year.

I hear him talking to a guy and happened to catch "--$75" so I'm thinking we're looking pretty good. Prospective buyer walked away so I mentioned I need something better than that price range. He starts going on and on about some 50 yard line seats and something just wasn't adding up... he wanted $350 a ticket and the previous ones he was talking about were $275! Ooops. Now I'm wondering if I really have to break the bank for it... end up paying $170 each for $76 tickets. No big deal, we have almost 3 hours before game time and we're set!

Head on over to that little Tundra zone and had an awesome italian beef w/cheese whiz sandwich while my wife loved the pulled pork. Both from Saz's. I had cheese all over my beard... impossible to clean between each bite. Highly recommended. Went back outside to find an old friend of mine... I had some ugly ass jacket that my dad lent me and Gabriela (the wife) was embarrassed by how ugly I looked so I had to squeeze my jersey over it. Obviously we don't really have any real winter clothes like everyone else here.

Inside was great--my wife almost cried walking out with the field in view. It was as amazing as it always has been. Crowd seemed a little younger than I remember with a bit more energy. But to the left of us was an old couple, I imagined the guy being one of the old farts here who posts on the forum. He wouldn't stand up or cheer for anything and was always complaining about the defense. Never had anything positive to say. I asked them if they had season tickets for awhile; of course they have. Kid next to me on my side really knew his stuff... we were talking about Saine's combine numbers, Walden and Hawk being poor in run support, everything.

Was very warm once inside. Took off a couple layers and didn't even need gloves. I tried to see if my wife wanted to take her shirt off with me and paint a '1' and '2' but she wasn't as excited about it as I was. Everyone was high-fiving and the one Bears fan in the area was a pretty good sport. There really wasn't nearly as many Bears fans as I expected being used to seeing so many Packer fans at Atlanta games. I'd say 1 in 40 were Bears fans. Packer nation was extremely friendly.

We had a great time and will never forget the Christmas experience. Came straight back, wasn't really any traffic. Everything about the day was perfect!

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/tonymission/9d6c2fec.jpg
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/tonymission/f7bae450.jpg
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/tonymission/28351902.jpg

Some more pics and video of Bears getting boo'd:
http://s887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/tonymission/

mission
12-27-2011, 05:32 PM
PS - my wife is mad I put these pictures up of her. Says she looks terrible.

Freak Out
12-27-2011, 05:41 PM
She's cute....you're ugly. :)

mission
12-27-2011, 05:44 PM
^ that's what im trying to tell her! :lol:

Freak Out
12-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Cool pics Mission....it looks like your seats were very close to the one I had on my last trip to Lambeau.

sheepshead
12-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Like many of us, you married up!

Tarlam!
12-27-2011, 07:21 PM

She's a babe! Good thing you have music in your blood, cause Freak is right You is UGLY! :) :) :)

mission
12-27-2011, 07:58 PM
To my defense I was growing out a scraggly (that doesn't look spelled right) beard to handle the cold of Wisconsin. I don't normally look homeless! :lol: But ya, I did out kick my coverage. That's the one you marry, right? I'll let her know the comments -- she really thinks I put them up because *I* look good!? Come on, why would I do that? Im a dirtball.

Mazzin
12-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks a ton for the awesome write up! Looked fantastic! Green & Gold with envy!

George Cumby
12-27-2011, 08:20 PM
You're wife's a beauty.

I particularly like the photo of you two in front of the statue of Vince.

Little Whiskey
12-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Looks like someone is about to shoot you the moon in Pic 6

gbgary
12-27-2011, 08:48 PM
ya done good sir. great looking family. nothing like Lambeau and the Packers.

gbpackfan
12-27-2011, 09:17 PM
PS - my wife is mad I put these pictures up of her. Says she looks terrible.

She's absolutely correct! I think you need to post some SEXY pics (you know bikini, lingerie, that sort of stuff) of her to make up for these terrible ones! ;-)

gbgary
12-27-2011, 10:06 PM
She's absolutely correct! I think you need to post some SEXY pics (you know bikini, lingerie, that sort of stuff) of her to make up for these terrible ones! ;-)

hehe

Iron Mike
12-28-2011, 07:27 AM
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/tonymission/9d016949.jpg

How could you leave this one out???

mmmdk
12-28-2011, 10:44 AM

:lol:

Glad you two had a ball & thanx!

mission
12-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Mike -- I don't know, she REALLY didn't like that one. You know chicks -- if they don't look like they're ready to go to a wedding, they can't stand how they look. Or they can and they just want you to tell them now beautiful they are. I'm still not sure.

Kiwon
12-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks, mission. Great report and photos.

You picked a great game to attend. The Pack, offensive, at least, put on a show.

Zool
12-29-2011, 10:16 AM
TIL Mission is a redditor with a cute wife.