PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy is the best game-manager coach I’ve ever covered!

Tarlam!
12-27-2011, 10:52 PM
The thread title is Vic Ketchman's answer to this question:

Chris from Wyoming, OH

I thought the Packers showed great clock management at the end of the first half on Sunday. We used our timeouts judiciously and when it appeared we were getting into a situation where we could have used another timeout, it appeared to me Rodgers/McCarthy called a play and showed a formation that basically forced Brian Urlacher to call a timeout because the Bears weren’t able to match up properly to what the Packers were showing.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/The-MVP-debate-Heres-a-different-spin-on-it/d8c01b76-b100-4535-80cd-1e4d578fd4b2

King Friday
12-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Didn't we have 2 timeouts left at that point when the Bears called a TO with :18 left? We were going to throw 3 passes into the endzone, so the timeouts weren't necessary.

We simply were USING CLOCK to ensure the Bears didn't get the ball back with any time left. The Bears screwed up their coverage, which is why Urlacher called the TO. Had nothing to do with the Packers tricking them into it.

Ketchman isn't all that bright IMO. He may have a long history of covering football...doesn't make him someone smart enough to glean knowledge from it.

Tarlam!
12-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Ketchman isn't all that bright IMO. He may have a long history of covering football...doesn't make him someone smart enough to glean knowledge from it.

QFT

Kiwon
12-29-2011, 03:27 AM
I don't know. Let's see how the playoffs ends first.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Ketchman is a carnival barker of a columnist.

Tarlam!
12-30-2011, 03:03 AM

From his latest blog:

Scott from Kansas City, MO

You say you see lots of Coughlin in McCarthy. Can you talk about that from a leader vs. game manager perspective? I never hear an ill-word spoken about Mike as a coach, but both insiders and outsiders talk very negatively about Tom's style.

Both men are offensive geniuses. They do more by formation than any coaches I’ve ever covered. Coach Coughlin schemes schemes a little more than Coach McCarthy, who’s more of a scheme personnel kind of guy, but they’re both big game-planners. They’re also very direct and demanding in their approaches. Players know at all times exactly where they stand with Coughlin and McCarthy; Coughlin loves to use the words “crystal clear.” In press conferences, they get to the point and don’t spend a lot of time socializing, but they each have engaging out-of-press-conference personalities and love to talk football. Here’s something else they have in common: Dom Capers. Coach Capers answered the call to help save Coughlin’s defense in Jacksonville, and Coach Capers answered the same call for McCarthy in Green Bay. If there’s a difference in them, it’s that Coach McCarthy isn’t as rigid as Coach Coughlin. When we did the conference call with Coach Coughlin a few weeks ago, I knew to show up five minutes early because that’s “Coughlin time” and that’s when the call would come, and if no one was there to take the call, that would’ve been the end of the conference call. Another big similarity is their practice regimens; they’re identical. They are built on precision execution and regimentation, and they feature the passing game. Steelers practices were heavy with nine-on-seven drills; Coughlin’s and McCarthy’s practices are heavy with seven-on-sevens.

mraynrand
12-30-2011, 02:23 PM

For example:

time is points.

'Nuff said