PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Kampman

HarveyWallbangers
12-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Sad to see. He hasn't been the same since his injury in 2009. He missed 7 games that year, 8 games last year, and didn't play a game this year.

News: Kampman had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Monday, according to the Florida Times-Union. (Tue Dec 27)

Spin: This is the third knee surgery for Kampman in as many years, and one has to wonder whether his career may be in jeopardy at this point.

Brandon494
12-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Send him a super bowl ring.

Tarlam!
12-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Send him a super bowl ring.

Why did you make this callous remark? You're obviously referencing Al Harris, but Kampman played his heart out for the ball club, never bitcched and moaned and left with class for utterly acceptable professional reasons.

His support for his hometown community after a natural catastrophe certainly showed me a lot about the type of character the man has. I simply cannot fathom anyone wishing harm on this guy, let alone making such flippant and dismissive comments regarding his situation.

I find it a tragedy that Kampman's career seems to be taking a swan song at the age of 31.

Kiwon
12-28-2011, 06:55 PM
How much was his FA contract a few years ago?

I hope he got paid well.

Lurker64
12-28-2011, 07:42 PM
How much was his FA contract a few years ago?

I hope he got paid well.

Four years, $24m with $11m guaranteed.

There's $4.975 million next year and $6.475 million the subsequent year that he won't get if he is cut in the offseason.

Guiness
12-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Wow, the wheels really fell off, didn't they? I know this isn't the direction of the thread, but another good decision by TT.

Quite possible it's a career (and a good one) for him. I'd guess he's got a pretty good nest egg saved up. If he can come back, great, but at 31 and three surgeries...well, he's got a lot of living left to do, right?

Tarlam!
12-28-2011, 10:37 PM
I know this isn't the direction of the thread, but another good decision by TT.

TT did not make this decision, Guin, it was Kampman's choice not to play OLB in the 3-4. But even if it were TT's, Kampy was 28 at the time. By no means old. And Kampman could get pressure on the passer. He's listed at 265 lbs, 6'4". A little heavy for an OLB, maybe (CMIII is 255, 6-3). He was lost to IR after what, a dozen games?

Too bad he didn't have another year on his contract. I think he coulda made the transition in Dom's defense.

Lurker64
12-28-2011, 11:37 PM
I think a lot of Kampman's troubles in the 3-4 were due to the fact that he didn't really want to switch positions that late into his career (I can't say that I blame him.) He sort of made the decision to do what the coaches told him to, but nothing more.

HarveyWallbangers
12-29-2011, 12:58 AM
I think a lot of Kampman's troubles in the 3-4 were due to the fact that he didn't really want to switch positions that late into his career (I can't say that I blame him.) He sort of made the decision to do what the coaches told him to, but nothing more.

Jared Allen was asked about a potential switch to a 3-4 by the Vikings, and he had a similar response.

Guiness
12-29-2011, 03:08 AM
TT did not make this decision, Guin, it was Kampman's choice not to play OLB in the 3-4. But even if it were TT's, Kampy was 28 at the time. By no means old. And Kampman could get pressure on the passer. He's listed at 265 lbs, 6'4". A little heavy for an OLB, maybe (CMIII is 255, 6-3). He was lost to IR after what, a dozen games?

Too bad he didn't have another year on his contract. I think he coulda made the transition in Dom's defense.

He did leave as an FA, but was there any real attempt to resign him? I got the impression no, but it could've been that Kampman made it clear he wasn't interested.

Only 28, eh? Seems like he was with the Pack for ever.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Jared Allen was asked about a potential switch to a 3-4 by the Vikings, and he had a similar response.

That was the summer of silence from Kampman and his avoidance of reporters for a week of camp (or mini-camp). He was not a happy man. Understandable. And I will have completely forgotten it in 2019 when Rodgers is trying to force a trade to a divisional contender rather than work with a completely new offense.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 10:58 AM
He did leave as an FA, but was there any real attempt to resign him? I got the impression no, but it could've been that Kampman made it clear he wasn't interested.

Only 28, eh? Seems like he was with the Pack for ever.

Thompson publicly declared he made an offer, but like St. Louis offer to Pujols, it was completely expected that he would take one elsewhere.

bobblehead
12-29-2011, 11:11 AM
I thought Kamp was just starting to figure it out when he got hurt. Obviously he is a 4-3 end before a 3-4 OLB, but I think he would have been good given the rest of that season.

I suppose this is a bad time for me to say again that I think he was a superior pass rusher to CMIII

Fritz
12-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Kampman really was not interested in making the switch, at all. So he left in FA and seemed happy and relieved to be able to play DE for the Jags.

Nobody at fault in any of this. The Pack wanted him to play linebacker, he didn't want to and had the right, contractually, to go elsewhere, so he did.

I feel bad for the guy.

Scott Campbell
12-29-2011, 01:06 PM
It was nobodies fault. And Kampan's graceful exit stood in stark contrast to another similar situation.

MJZiggy
12-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Kampman really was not interested in making the switch, at all. So he left in FA and seemed happy and relieved to be able to play DE for the Jags.

Nobody at fault in any of this. The Pack wanted him to play linebacker, he didn't want to and had the right, contractually, to go elsewhere, so he did.

I feel bad for the guy.

I don't know about feeling bad for him. He left a great situation that had changed and went to a good situation. Total class act. (http://www.aaronkampman.com/aaron-kampman-milwaukee-journal-sentinal-thank-you-03-20-2010.bmp)

mraynrand
12-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Is Kampman is still better than Jared Allen?

mraynrand
12-29-2011, 07:40 PM
I thought Kamp was just starting to figure it out when he got hurt. Obviously he is a 4-3 end before a 3-4 OLB, but I think he would have been good given the rest of that season.

I suppose this is a bad time for me to say again that I think he was a superior pass rusher to CMIII

I suppose it is a bad time. But I can't think of a good time for saying it either, so there you are.