PDA

View Full Version : Finley Sits Out Practice

pbmax
12-29-2011, 12:18 PM
There is still a little immaturity left in Finley. He didn't let anyone know his knee/leg was bothering him until Wednesday before practice apparently. Made McCarthy gruff and caused Fin to do a verbal dance with the locker room media access.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/finley-sits-out-practice-and-mccarthy-seems-a-bit-miffed-v03jmlp-136356983.html

pbmax
12-29-2011, 12:21 PM
In other injury updates, Jennings is running but no practice or cutting yet. He is not playing versus the Lions. Clifton did practice. Bulaga could practice Friday. And Cobb has a groin and will not practice in pads Thursday.

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2011, 12:30 PM
the media, like yourself, are chasing and magnifying the "Finley is a pill" story. It was a small deal, MM expressed mild frustration. I guess Finley reaps wgat he sows

I have been irritated at Finley, his war dances after routine catches are a little rich, especially given the drops.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 12:47 PM
the media, like yourself, are chasing and magnifying the "Finley is a pill" story. It was a small deal, MM expressed mild frustration. I guess Finley reaps wgat he sows

I have been irritated at Finley, his war dances after routine catches are a little rich, especially given the drops.

That is definitely the lens this is being examined through. And it might simply be bad timing, certainly other players haven't discovered until Day 2 after the game that they are suffering from something more severe than they thought. But its still unusual for the coach not to get a report on a player until Wednesday morning.

Guiness
12-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Cobb has a groin, does he?

Guiness
12-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Was Jenning's injury ever clarified?

Patler
12-29-2011, 12:59 PM
That is definitely the lens this is being examined through. And it might simply be bad timing, certainly other players haven't discovered until Day 2 after the game that they are suffering from something more severe than they thought. But its still unusual for the coach not to get a report on a player until Wednesday morning.

I suspect the aggravating part is that Finley claims to have hurt it against KC, not Chicago; but yesterday it didn't feel right to practice on. So it wasn't the second or third day after he hurt it, it was the ninth or tenth day after, and apparently no one knew about it.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 01:06 PM
I suspect the aggravating part is that Finley claims to have hurt it against KC, not Chicago; but yesterday it didn't feel right to practice on. So it wasn't the second or third day after he hurt it, it was the ninth or tenth day after, and apparently no one knew about it.

I read that as the staff knew about it last week and he assumed McCarthy was aware of it. And then there was no new update until he was declared out of practice. Either way, someone (staff or player) needs to realize that potentially being out of a practice is a different level of concern than a banged up knee that doesn't keep you out of practice.

And actually reading it again it makes no sense as he is talking about banging his knee in KC and now its leg soreness/tiredness. But it does seem clear he didn't report it until Wed. morning.

Fritz
12-29-2011, 01:21 PM
My own view based on what I've read is that Finley seems to be asking for an "out" from practice due to tired legs. He said something about keeping him out of practice or even the Sunday game as the "smart" thing that "everybody" knows, but that it would be up to the coach and GM. Not a good quote to put out there, and maybe it's rubbing MM the wrong way that Finley appears as if he might just be wanting a rest. I'm sure most if not all players do, but that's the coach's call, and it appears that Finley may have pushed to get himself this off day, and that's what's irking MM.

Brandon494
12-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Trade him!

Patler
12-29-2011, 01:31 PM
This is simply another stage in Finley's goofy year in 2011:

Stage 1 - attention seeking (the SB picture flap, "YOTTO" coming into the season & whatever).
Stage 2 - consistently inconsistent performances starting in training camp.
Stage 3 - excuse making (saying he and Rodgers had lost "chemistry", the coverage was too intense, etc.)
Stage 4 - denial (the recent stares in disbelief upon drops, once he was said to have shouted at his hands.)
Stage 5 - sympathy gathering (see, I've been hurt, but was gutting it out.)

Hopefully, he will start fresh (and low key) in 2012.

Brandon494
12-29-2011, 01:38 PM
^ like clock work

hoosier
12-29-2011, 01:47 PM
I agree with Fritz, Finley sounds like he is asking for a day off. And McCarthy's tone is probably broadcasting the message that he is going about it in the wrong way, and trying to nip any week 17 indifference in the bud. It is nice to see (as far as one can really see from where we sit) that McCarthy refuses to coddle guys like Finley but can toe this line without becoming a disciplinarian who simply cannot relate to his players. The ability he has shown to motivate and manipulate--in the best sense--in the last 13 months has really surprised me.

Patler
12-29-2011, 01:59 PM
^ like clock work

I simply recounted what FACTUALLY has occurred this year (can you dispute any of it?)
I concluded with a hope for a better 2012. Don't you as well?

So, what the hell are you complaining about this time with my post?????????
Am I not allowed to comment on Finley, even when it is to wish him well?

Fritz
12-29-2011, 02:08 PM
This is simply another stage in Finley's goofy year in 2011:

Stage 1 - attention seeking (the SB picture flap, "YOTTO" coming into the season & whatever).
Stage 2 - consistently inconsistent performances starting in training camp.
Stage 3 - excuse making (saying he and Rodgers had lost "chemistry", the coverage was too intense, etc.)
Stage 4 - denial (the recent stares in disbelief upon drops, once he was said to have shouted at his hands.)
Stage 5 - sympathy gathering (see, I've been hurt, but was gutting it out.)

Hopefully, he will start fresh (and low key) in 2012.

Agreed. My personal favorite is his staring at his hands in disbelief, then shouting at them. I think his hands need a twitter account of their own!

But like Patler and all Packer fans, I hope for him to have a big, big playoff run. If he can become that impossible-to-stop-over-the-middle guy, that will take great pressure off the receivers and allow them to do their voodoo on the sidelines.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 02:10 PM
My own view based on what I've read is that Finley seems to be asking for an "out" from practice due to tired legs. He said something about keeping him out of practice or even the Sunday game as the "smart" thing that "everybody" knows, but that it would be up to the coach and GM. Not a good quote to put out there, and maybe it's rubbing MM the wrong way that Finley appears as if he might just be wanting a rest. I'm sure most if not all players do, but that's the coach's call, and it appears that Finley may have pushed to get himself this off day, and that's what's irking MM.

This is what I thought he was trying to do. And if he had mentioned it Monday or come in for extra treatment Tuesday, then we may never had heard a peep.

Patler
12-29-2011, 02:17 PM
This is what I thought he was trying to do. And if he had mentioned it Monday or come in for extra treatment Tuesday, then we may never had heard a peep.

Maybe he didn't think of this excuse until Wednesday when he woke up. :wink:

(OK Brandon494, make your obligatory sarcastic comment. I wrote this just for you.)

Cheesehead Craig
12-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Hopefully he doesn't have the bilateral leg weakness that Joe Mauer got.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Picture not brighter after this Tweet:

ByChrisJenkins Chris Jenkins
Finley said left knee "fatigued." @jasonjwilde asked if it'd be smart to sit Sun: "Of course ... but I ain't the head coach or the GM."

Tweet was from yesterday.

Brando19
12-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Let Finley drop cups of gatorade on the sideline Sunday.

denverYooper
12-29-2011, 05:45 PM

Let Finley drop cups of gatorade on the sideline Sunday.

They're going to make him block all day.

Tarlam!
12-29-2011, 06:59 PM
" @jasonjwilde asked if it'd be smart to sit Sun: "Of course ... but I ain't the head coach or the GM."

Oh my. The media might be on a witch hunt, but Finley is making it easy for them with this type of shit.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Oh my. The media might be on a witch hunt, but Finley is making it easy for them with this type of shit.

Context is King though. Though ellipses could spell trouble. He practiced today, btw.

mraynrand
12-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Finley's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon Lambeau Field
And then is heard no more: his is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Joemailman
12-29-2011, 07:43 PM
I think Finley was just trying to recover from another late night out with the Musky Queen.

http://www.jermichaelfinley.com/wp-content/gallery/with-fans/img_4199.jpg

pbmax
12-29-2011, 08:18 PM
I think Finley was just trying to recover from another late night out with the Musky Queen.

[MG]http://www.jermichaelfinley.com/wp-content/gallery/with-fans/img_4199.jpg[/IG]

Would I be facing copyright or trademark trouble if I use that for my Christmas card next year?

KYPack
12-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Just go ahead and name her "Miss Wisconsin".

(as long as she always carries around that big musky)

channtheman
12-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Hopefully Finley recovers from his tired hands soon.

Fritz
12-30-2011, 06:56 AM

http://www.jermichaelfinley.com/wp-content/gallery/with-fans/img_4199.jpg

Where I come from "musky" is an earthy, dank smell and "muskie" is a fish. So our queen above apparently smells earthy and moist - but does she smell like a fish, too?

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Gramps once told me, "Ain't but two things in this world that smell like fish. One of them's fish."

I miss ole Gramps. But he should be out in 2013, I can hardly wait.

CaliforniaCheez
12-30-2011, 11:23 PM
You want Finley to succeed, you hope for it, but he isn't mentally tough enough or disciplined enough, so he keeps preventing it.

mraynrand
12-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Have the Packers cut Finley yet?

Tarlam!
12-31-2011, 12:37 AM
Have the Packers cut Finley yet?

I know you're being sarcastic. If they do decide against him, they will still franchise him, if only to trade him. He's gotta be worth a high pick, no? Anyway, it will be interesting.

Brandon494
12-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Finley seems to be the typical jock, I don't understand why people still get so wound up by what the guy says. The guy is never going to be a Greg Jennings or Donald Driver type but hes also not acting like TO or Randy Moss either. The guy is not smart, get use to it and stop trying to make such a big deal every time he puts his foot in his mouth.

MJZiggy
12-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Finley seems to be the typical jock, I don't understand why people still get so wound up by what the guy says. The guy is never going to be a Greg Jennings or Donald Driver type but hes also not acting like TO or Randy Moss either. The guy is not smart, get use to it and stop trying to make such a big deal every time he puts his foot in his mouth.

I think folks would have a lot more patience for what comes out of his mouth if the ball came out of his hands less...

Patler
12-31-2011, 09:51 AM

I don't disagree with you, he may be a typical jock; but in many ways that makes him an atypical Packer. He is not the only Packer to say these types of things, but he is the most consistent in doing so, and the number of Packers who make similar gaffes is quite small. Therefore, he stands out.

Bretsky
12-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Finley is a rising star; the Packers will franchise him. He has many years of success to come. I don't love his occasional antics either but I expect him to be a great Packer for many years to come

Fritz
12-31-2011, 09:57 AM
I think folks would have a lot more patience for what comes out of his mouth if the ball came out of his hands less...

And there you put your finger on just about every situation involving a player's off-field work, whether it's dumb quotes in the papers, abusing girlfriends or wives, or sending dick pics via text: if a player plays for your team, and if that player is playing really well, you'll forgive him almost anything. It's called "myside bias." I know I am guilty of this.

It's amazing how much of our "judgement" of a player's value as a human being is tied to his football performance.

So, per Finley...if he catches the ball well, blocks well, and helps the Packers greatly in the playoff run, people will forgive most anything he says, and in fact will explain why he either didn't really mean it or that he's only expressing his right to speak. If he plays poorly and keeps dropping the ball, he'll be a dick to us. In fact, if he plays poorly and the next day goes to visit sick children in a hospital, we might even say he's doing it to take the focus off his poor performance!