PDA

View Full Version : Simply Amazing...

GrnBay007
12-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Winter so far!!!!! I am soooo loving this! No snow and the temps have been extremely mild. Haven't had to wear a winter coat yet! Saturday forecast is for a high of 47!!! Just unreal. I seriously don't remember EVER having a winter this mild in IA or when I lived in IL.

Last year we had record breaking snow and at this time last year I think we had 27 inches of snow on the ground.

Oscar
12-29-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm here in N.W. Missouri. Hit 58 today. B-E-A-utiful weather. I did some landscaping work and a lil painting. Supposed to be even nicer tomorrow and Saturday.

Joemailman
12-29-2011, 06:53 PM
No snow to speak of in central Wisconsin either. It sucks. Still plenty of time though.

mraynrand
12-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Winter so far!!!!! I am soooo loving this! No snow and the temps have been extremely mild. Haven't had to wear a winter coat yet! Saturday forecast is for a high of 47!!! Just unreal. I seriously don't remember EVER having a winter this mild in IA or when I lived in IL.

Last year we had record breaking snow and at this time last year I think we had 27 inches of snow on the ground.

Don't count your sphex wasps until they've emerged from their paralyzed host katydid

http://www.americaninsects.net/hy/61d-sphex-ichneumoneus.jpg

Freak Out
12-29-2011, 07:51 PM
LOL@Rand.

Almost 4 feet have dropped here so far....going to be close to zero this weekend here in Anchorage....mild for this time of year.

Great skiing!

MJZiggy
12-29-2011, 08:01 PM
LOL@Rand.

Almost 4 feet have dropped here so far....going to be close to zero this weekend here in Anchorage....mild for this time of year.

Great skiing!

The south pole had 10 degrees on Christmas. That's ABOVE zero. We had flurries for about 10 minutes today. But this is the mildest year on record.

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2011, 09:16 PM
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/environment/july-dec11/weather_12-28.html

there were 12 extreme weather events globally in 2011. Doesn't sound like much, but previous record was 9 in 2008.

More energy in atmosphere means more potential for harsh events

GrnBay007
12-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Got all this energy! It's like Spring fever in Dec/Jan. I'm painting 2 rooms and a hallway on this 4 day weekend! :)

HowardRoark
12-29-2011, 09:33 PM
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/environment/july-dec11/weather_12-28.html

there were 12 extreme weather events globally in 2011. Doesn't sound like much, but previous record was 9 in 2008.

I think there were 13 in 83 B.C.

Tarlam!
12-29-2011, 09:40 PM

This. It might be enjoyable not shovelling snow, but it is unsettling. Rand is also spot on; there willl be a veritable insect plague when they hatch. It aint healthy at all.

Now, is all this a result of man's impact on the planet? Hard to say. The planet is pretty old and we humanoids have only been ravaging it for say, 6-8 thousand years. Until the turn of last century, that impact wan't as global. Geographically, man eroded regionally. The Sahara, The Gobe deserts were defertilzed thousands of years ago.

Places like Iceland and Spain were 100% deforreseted by man. Iceland for fires, Spain for the infamous building of the Amarda. Island folk discovered the misfortune of overpopulation pretty often; think Easter Islands.

The records have only been kept for a geological second, so it is difficult for us to say if this is the mildest winter ever. But in the last 150 years or so, the industrialization of the planet has meant man's impact is global. It concerns me far more than I enjoy not shovelling snow.

GrnBay007
12-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Man, someone's always gotta be tryin to bring me down!

;)

Tarlam!
12-29-2011, 10:16 PM

;)

If ya wanna make an omelette, ya gotta break some eggs? Um, If ya can't do the time, don't do the crime? Er, :confused:

Not tryin' to bring you down, Seven. Just doin' the math.

GrnBay007
12-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Don't worry.....we'll have cold and snow (#&%#!) in Jan and Feb and all will be fine!!!! Lets just enjoy this mellow part of winter we have been blessed with! :)

SkinBasket
12-30-2011, 08:46 AM

http://cdn.zmescience.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/al-gore.jpg

You should be ASHAMED of yourself!!! THIS is a CRISIS!!!

mraynrand
12-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Since we are near the tail end of an interglacial, it's going to get warmer before it gets cooler. I would say to enjoy the weather and invest in property in Canada.

Word is that in about a billion years, the sun will have expanded slightly and the oceans will boil. Something to look forward to.... Mars should be nicer by then though.

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Since temperatures are rising far faster than can be explained by natural geological processes, I would say to enjoy the weather and invest in property in Canada.

fixed

mraynrand
12-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Since temperatures are rising far faster than can be explained by recognized, known natural geological processes, with many numbers being deliberately fudged by leading scientists, I would say to enjoy the weather and invest in property in Canada.

fixed

Tarlam!
12-30-2011, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE]
Since temperatures are rising far faster than can be explained by natural geological processes, I would say to enjoy the weather and invest in property in Canada.

not fixed

I have a somewhat agnostic view of this one.

SkinBasket
12-30-2011, 03:09 PM
It's amazing how many people continue to believe the lie after the liars have admitted lying. Repeatedly. Here, in case you "missed" the latest admissions:

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/9904-climategate-2-more-e-mails-leaked-ahead-of-un-summit

HowardRoark
12-30-2011, 04:19 PM
It's amazing how many people continue to believe the lie after the liars have admitted lying. Repeatedly. Here, in case you "missed" the latest admissions:

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/9904-climategate-2-more-e-mails-leaked-ahead-of-un-summit

Is that like an inconvenient truth, or something?

http://ethicsalarms.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/butt_head.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2011, 04:59 PM

thenewamerican.com

Saints preserve us.

95% of climatologists are wrong. the truth comes from right wing web sites.

some isolated emails shows the lies of the lying liars in global conspiracy

MJZiggy
12-30-2011, 05:06 PM
thenewamerican.com

Saints preserve us.

Problem is that this is what the right wingers believe: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/richard-muller-koch-brothers-funded-scientist-declares-global-warming-real-article-1.969870

SkinBasket
12-30-2011, 05:43 PM
thenewamerican.com

Saints preserve us.

For fucks sake, use your fucking skull and google it yourself then pick any one of the 100,000 sources. The source doesn't change the content of the emails (you know, where the "scientists" admit to lying, political pandering, and manipulating what they call data) you useless slob.

MJZiggy
12-30-2011, 05:57 PM
For fucks sake, use your fucking skull and google it yourself then pick any one of the 100,000 sources. The source doesn't change the content of the emails (you know, where the "scientists" admit to lying, political pandering, and manipulating what they call data) you useless slob.

Funny, the link I provided, which you conveniently skipped because it completely debunks your viewpoint was one of 708,000...

GrnBay007
12-30-2011, 06:00 PM
:(

I was happier yesterday when this was just a thread about enjoying a mild winter!

Joemailman
12-30-2011, 06:05 PM

I was happier yesterday when this was just a thread about enjoying a mild winter!

I guess they just needed one more good global warming rant to close out the year. Skin started it! :beat:

Joemailman
12-30-2011, 06:07 PM
A mild winter hurts the economy in northern Wisconsin. Little or no snowmobiling.

Should be good for the deer population though!

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2011, 06:09 PM

hey, the lobster was happy in the nice warm pot, too. "ooooo, what fun! Hot tub!"

One day you;ll wake up and they'll be texans and mexicans in your back yard, fleeing the desert.

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2011, 06:12 PM
A mild winter hurts the economy in northern Wisconsin. Little or no snowmobiling.

Should be good for the deer population though!

not so many run over by snowmobilers, I reckon

Joemailman
12-30-2011, 06:15 PM
It would be nice if I could grow tomatoes year round instead of just in the summer.

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2011, 06:17 PM
I think tomatoes are one of the few things worth growing, they taste so much better then grocery store. Well, tomatos and ganja.

Joemailman
12-30-2011, 06:26 PM
not so many run over by snowmobilers, I reckon

Snowmobilers seem more adept at hitting trees than deer.

GrnBay007
12-30-2011, 06:30 PM
It would be nice if I could grow tomatoes year round instead of just in the summer.

Agree!!! Or even if the season was extended a few months. Just can't beat a fresh tomato!

MJZiggy
12-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Our ski resorts are suffering...and if I hadn't pulled out the plants, they might even still be producing!

MJZiggy
12-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Oh, and the cherry blossoms are blooming in places. Roses are blooming along with other flowers.

HowardRoark
12-30-2011, 07:08 PM
...and if I hadn't pulled out the plants, they might even still be producing!

I know the feeling.

SkinBasket
12-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Funny, the link I provided, which you conveniently skipped because it completely debunks your viewpoint was one of 708,000...

Well, if Richard Muller says it's true it must be!

He believes global warming is true. That temperatures have risen over time. Specifically 1.5 degrees over 60 years. Then he specifically states that he has no idea how much of that is due to humans. OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Fail!

You going to start regulating Mother Earth?

It doesn't "debunk" my viewpoint. My viewpoint is a fact that e-mails recovered from the anamorphic climate change scientist show their work is not only a fraud, but also a fiscal-political mechanism of the left wing. From the horse's mouth.

Happy New Year.

MJZiggy
12-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Well, if Richard Muller says it's true it must be!

He believes global warming is true. That temperatures have risen over time. Specifically 1.5 degrees over 60 years. Then he specifically states that he has no idea how much of that is due to humans. OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Fail!

You going to start regulating Mother Earth?

It doesn't "debunk" my viewpoint. My viewpoint is a fact that e-mails recovered from the anamorphic climate change scientist show their work is not only a fraud, but also a fiscal-political mechanism of the left wing. From the horse's mouth.

Happy New Year.

He was specifically hired by your heroes to "prove" that climate change was false because he was an avid critic of climate change. He declared it real. Your evidence consists of emails from ONE scientist when 95% of all other scientists agree on it, now including the critic hired by the Koch brothers to review the research. Look back at the predictions scientists made 20 years ago (harsher storms, more intense weather patterns, melting ice caps) and see if they don't seem oddly familiar to you.

Tarlam!
12-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Living in Australia, we were scared to death by the hole in the ozone. Scientists were predicting how bad it would become etc. Kids were no longer allowed to go outdoors during certain periods of the day at schools. It was pandemonium! But the ozone is actually recovering and faster than anyone reckoned it could!

As to the weather anomolies, there is no conclusive proof that either side is correct. There is proof that scientists are not agreed on it and never have been. This is what gives me pause to think.

Harlan Huckleby
12-31-2011, 01:02 PM
As to the weather anomolies, there is no conclusive proof that either side is correct. There is proof that scientists are not agreed on it and never have been.
You are confusing the political debate with the scientific debate. The community of global warming deniars within the climatology world is much like your penis at the swimming pool - tiny and shrinking.

The argument that man-caused global warming is insignificant can and will always be made. There will always be some evidence that the changes are natural. Notice that the people most likely to be repeating those arguments also are anti-government. Coincidence? It takes an expert in the field to properly weigh the evidence.

Tarlam!
12-31-2011, 04:29 PM
You are confusing the political debate with the scientific debate. (...)It takes an expert in the field to properly weigh the evidence.

No, I am not confusing anything. The evidence is weighed by qualified experts in the field. There is no collective agreement.

It is not as cut and dried as you would have me believe or have let yourself be brain-washed enough to believe, which, I am sure, is not driven by your own political side of the debate.

I admit to not understanding the correlation the data collected provides. I have to rely on what is published, which is all any of us laymen can do.

Harlan Huckleby
12-31-2011, 05:09 PM
No, I am not confusing anything. The evidence is weighed by qualified experts in the field. There is no collective agreement.

It is not as cut and dried as you would have me believe or have let yourself be brain-washed enough to believe, which, I am sure, is not driven by your own political side of the debate.

I have no political side in the debate. I strongly wish that global warming was not occuring, because it is painful to deal with.

The global warming skeptics have a strong political agenda - they don't want an active government role, or economic sacrifice to address the problem. In fact, libertarians and other anti-government koooks pretty much view EVERY issue through this prism. Most people who recognize global warming have no corresponding ideological urge to empower goverment to fight the problem.

The consensus on global warming is strong. Wikipedia is a relatively neutral source of information, especially since they reference contrasting opinions, and are massively reviewed for errors. (The goofy shit that appears on Wikipedia is typically short-lived.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_controversy#Scientific_consensus

SkinBasket
12-31-2011, 05:48 PM
He was specifically hired by your heroes to "prove" that climate change was false because he was an avid critic of climate change. He declared it real. Your evidence consists of emails from ONE scientist when 95% of all other scientists agree on it, now including the critic hired by the Koch brothers to review the research. Look back at the predictions scientists made 20 years ago (harsher storms, more intense weather patterns, melting ice caps) and see if they don't seem oddly familiar to you.

The emails involve several lead scientists. You are confusing climate change, which is real, and unavoidable and natural, with man made global warming, which is a financial-political farce with no scientific backing. Of course, those who espouse the farce encourage the confusion, because it's all they've got.

Tarlam!
12-31-2011, 05:52 PM
The consensus on global warming is strong.

So it was with the ozone devastation. The experts were wrong. The problem wasn't anywhere near as bad as advertised. Once bitten....

retailguy
12-31-2011, 05:52 PM
I have no political side in the debate. I strongly wish that global warming was not occuring, because it is painful to deal with.

The global warming skeptics have a strong political agenda - they don't want an active government role, or economic sacrifice to address the problem. In fact, libertarians and other anti-government koooks pretty much view EVERY issue through this prism. Most people who recognize global warming have no corresponding ideological urge to empower goverment to fight the problem.

The consensus on global warming is strong. Wikipedia is a relatively neutral source of information, especially since they reference contrasting opinions, and are massively reviewed for errors. (The goofy shit that appears on Wikipedia is typically short-lived.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_controversy#Scientific_consensus

You do realize that your entire perspective, and your claims of being non-biased are based on a belief that man-made global warming is accurate, right?

Do you remember as a young boy when asbestos was touted by industry, and the scientific community as the "miracle mineral"? There were a few wacko critical scientists that were generally regarded as "nuts" who where claiming that there were risks of asbestos exposure. They were resoundly ignored until the mid 60's, when hard exposure data suggested that there was a problem, yet it still took 15 years for the "general beliefs" to change... How'd popular scientific opinion turn out there?....

MJZiggy
12-31-2011, 05:53 PM
The emails involve several lead scientists. You are confusing climate change, which is real, and unavoidable and natural, with man made global warming, which is a financial-political farce with no scientific backing. Of course, those who espouse the farce encourage the confusion, because it's all they've got.

How many scientists does that make of the thousands who study man-made climate change including the one hired by the Koch Brothers to prove the research false?

Tarlam!
12-31-2011, 05:56 PM

What? man-made gloabal warming has a lot of scientific backing!

retailguy
12-31-2011, 06:01 PM
What? man-made gloabal warming has a lot of scientific backing!

That alone doesn't mean it's true. Plenty of "scientific" mistakes get made. Your ozone example is a great one.

MJZiggy
12-31-2011, 06:09 PM
That alone doesn't mean it's true. Plenty of "scientific" mistakes get made. Your ozone example is a great one.

There was never any doubt about the hole in the ozone layer. That it healed more quickly than imagined after clean air policies went into effect doesn't mean the science behind it was faulty--actually quite the opposite. The scientists were dead on.

Tarlam!
12-31-2011, 06:17 PM

RG, I haven't made that claim anywhere, have I? And I've already pointed out mistakes wrt the ozone, so you're preaching to the converted. My entire point has been MMGW has me concerned, but not panicking. Further, there is no scientific agreement; indeed there is the black and white disussion, which is raging here now and the shades of grey in between.

Consider me smack damned middle in the grey zone.

SkinBasket
12-31-2011, 08:15 PM
There was never any doubt about the hole in the ozone layer. That it healed more quickly than imagined after clean air policies went into effect doesn't mean the science behind it was faulty--actually quite the opposite. The scientists were dead on.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BPa01yo0s64/SqvR2Dxn96I/AAAAAAAABaE/50CD_whqbHA/s400/PIC_0074.JPG

To my point that the believers will never stop believing...

How many scientists does that make of the thousands who study man-made climate change including the one hired by the Koch Brothers to prove the research false?

You continue to repeat falsehoods as fact. The article you provided explicitly stated that this one scientist did not know or study how much humans have contributed to climate change. Good lord. Do you really think the earth has maintained a steady temperature over the past 4,000,000,000 years? For someone so caught up in the "science" of the earth and it's climate, you seem to have a severely retarded understanding of it. Severely. Epically severe.

The scientists at the forefront of this anamorphic global warming "research" (by research, I mean politically funded propaganda) have told you IN THEIR OWN WORDS: "We are full of shit. What we're doing is politically and financially motivated." And yet you persist. That's what's baffling. Jesus, even they worry in these correspondences what will happen to them when they're discovered as perpetrators of global fraud. Apparently nothing. Thanks to blindly gullible fanatics worldwide.

Ick.

SkinBasket
12-31-2011, 08:23 PM
By the way, the world is flat and professional wrestling is real.

GrnBay007
12-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Way to go!!! All these janky political posts in my happy thread and now we are going to get SNOW tonight!! Thanks a lot! Hope u are happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

MJZiggy
12-31-2011, 10:51 PM
Way to go!!! All these janky political posts in my happy thread and now we are going to get SNOW tonight!! Thanks a lot! Hope u are happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're supposed to hit 60 tomorrow.:taunt:

Tarlam!
01-01-2012, 01:09 AM

We're supposed to hit 60 tomorrow.:taunt:

Oh come on Zig, this perfect scientific evidence of how man impacts the weather with his behaviour! How could you miss that!!! :)

Iron Mike
01-01-2012, 07:40 AM
By the way, professional wrestling is real.

It's not???

http://members.shaw.ca/wrestling-brent/BaronVonRaschke.jpg

Scott Campbell
01-01-2012, 08:35 AM

You did this on purpose.

retailguy
01-01-2012, 09:10 AM
RG, I haven't made that claim anywhere, have I? And I've already pointed out mistakes wrt the ozone, so you're preaching to the converted. My entire point has been MMGW has me concerned, but not panicking. Further, there is no scientific agreement; indeed there is the black and white disussion, which is raging here now and the shades of grey in between.

Consider me smack damned middle in the grey zone.

My point was designed to be "more general" than that. I wasn't singling you out, just pointing out that "popular scientific opinion" can be wrong. Everytime I read "everyone thinks this way, what's wrong with you?", I just roll my eyes.

Little Whiskey
01-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Everytime I read "everyone thinks this way, what's wrong with you?", I just roll my eyes.

especially when it comes to the I-phone?

Tarlam!
01-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Everytime I read "everyone thinks this way, what's wrong with you?", I just roll my eyes.

Hahahaha! And, I am the only one who isn't doing that!

retailguy
01-01-2012, 10:23 AM
especially when it comes to the I-phone?

Exactly. funny thing, I really don't miss those days... Funnier thing - My work phone is due for a replacement. Only smartphone I can get without paying sprints 10 buck add on? The Iphone... Needless to say, I still need a phone replacement... I'm leaning towards spending the 10 bucks. That'll cause your gas prices to increase by a penny or so, but tough, deal with it.

retailguy
01-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Hahahaha! And, I am the only one who isn't doing that!

I think more of us do that than are willing to admit it. happy new year Tar!

woodbuck27
01-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Fricken Winter here in Honey Harbour, Ontario...MINUS 20 this morning and a WHITE landscape... Colder than brass monkey balls on ice. Winter found it's place here but two days before Christmas it was like Spring. ...almost warm. No snow to really speak of in southern Quebec and Ontario. January..February...March...Tulips.

mraynrand
01-03-2012, 03:30 PM
It takes an expert in the field to properly weigh the evidence.

from 2005:

"Rising sea levels, desertification and shrinking freshwater supplies will create up to 50 million environmental refugees by the end of the decade, experts warn today. Janos Bogardi, director of the Institute for Environment and Human Security at the United Nations University in Bonn, said creeping environmental deterioration already displaced up to 10 million people a year, and the situation would get worse.

"There are well-founded fears that the number of people fleeing untenable environmental conditions may grow exponentially as the world experiences the effects of climate change," Dr Bogardi said. "This new category of refugee needs to find a place in international agreements. We need to better anticipate support requirements, similar to those of people fleeing other unviable situations."

Fortunately, these experts, and other climate experts like them, were off by over 48 million people. They based their estimates on the 'hard science' of AGW models derived by the experts in 2000-2005. Not one of these models has correctly predicted global temperatures.

Even if the global temps do rise 1-3C over the next century, historians of weather science point out that life has thrived in higher global temperatures as opposed to lower temperatures. This simple fact is undisputed by all the experts. The rest is hysteria.

Tarlam!
01-03-2012, 04:32 PM
from 2005:

"Fortunately, these experts, and other climate experts like them, were off by over 48 million people. They based their estimates on the 'hard science' of AGW models derived by the experts in 2000-2005. Not one of these models has correctly predicted global temperatures.

Even if the global temps do rise 1-3C over the next century, historians of weather science point out that life has thrived in higher global temperatures as opposed to lower temperatures. This simple fact is undisputed by all the experts. The rest is hysteria.

Source? Rebuttal from HH?

GrnBay007
01-12-2012, 07:41 AM
It snowed! :( :(

and it's under 30 degrees!! :( :(

Tarlam!
01-12-2012, 07:42 AM

Doesn't matter. We're all doomed. Doomed, I tell you!! DOOMED!!!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/willy_nilly.gif

MJZiggy
01-12-2012, 07:51 AM

We get that tomorrow. Don't know if we get the snow, but for now it's a rainy 45 on its way up to 60. If it makes you feel better, the other day we got a dusting that was enough to make me turn on my wipers. I almost pulled out the ice scraper in a mitten thing, but it just didn't seem worth it.

Freak Out
01-12-2012, 11:26 AM
It snowed about 6 inches last night and is continuing strong as I type. Anchorage International Airport (official reporting station) has received about 82 inches of snow so far this winter.

Freak Out
01-12-2012, 11:32 AM
http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/dutch-harbor-tempest-leaves-bald-eagles-seabirds-too-frozen-fly

GrnBay007
01-12-2012, 10:22 PM
It snowed about 6 inches last night and is continuing strong as I type. Anchorage International Airport (official reporting station) has received about 82 inches of snow so far this winter.

I don't know how you deal with it. Last year we had record breaking snow amounts here and it just seemed like winter went on and on and on. I hated it.

So far this winter....until last night...grrrrrr....we have had temps about 35-52 and no snow. I love the change of seasons but would much rather live somewhere with consistently mild winters. So where is that?

Tarlam!
01-12-2012, 11:50 PM
I love the change of seasons but would much rather live somewhere with consistently mild winters. So where is that?

Johannesburg, South Africa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannesburg#Climate

Little Whiskey
01-13-2012, 05:57 AM
Winter and cold temps kill off the bugs. do you really want to live around bugs that grow year round and can eat your dog?

as an added bonus, it also keeps the homeless population down.