PDA

View Full Version : What do you WANT the NFC playoff positions to look like...

Fosco33
12-30-2011, 08:31 AM
... and what do THINK will happen. As all besides Cowboys/Giants and positions are determined - let's hear it.

WANT
#1 - Locked for GBP
#2 - Niners
#3 - Saints
#4 - Cowboys
#5 - Falcons
#6 - Lions

(Lions may be able to take out Saints - and I like our chances vs Detroit in Divisional)
(Falcons could easily beat Cowboys and then have to play Niners)

I WANT the Niners in NFCC. ARod vs. the team that passed him up in the playoffs = winning. Our playoff history and overall streak vs them will mess with Niners heads too.

THINK
#1 - GBP
#2 - Niners
#3 - Saints
#4 - Giants
#5 - Lions
#6 - Falcons

Now: Saints will whoop the Falcons (again); Lions have a tough matchup with Giants.
Pack would likely have to play Giants - tough to beat a team twice in a season - especially after almost losing the last one. Memories of 2007 NFCC. Yuck.

Saints vs. Niners - I like Saints chances. That'd mean they'd come to GB if we beat Giants/Lions... Another scenario I don't really want to see - having to play NO again with our porous defense...

Summary:
Lions vs. Pack means a lot. M3 would be smart to not pack it in.
Go Cowboys - love to see them choke in the playoffs.

sheepshead
12-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Last year we expected nothing and got it all, this year we expect everything and... I would only feel confident going into a Lions or Falcons game. The other three will be a shoot out a la 2009 Cardinals game.

George Cumby
12-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Fuggit.

We'll play 'em in the parking lot if we have to.

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2011, 09:13 AM
I agree with everything you two wrote--except I'd say I'd have more confidence if we faced the Cowboys than the Lions. The Lions scares me. The Saints scare me. The Giants scare me. The Niners mildly scare me. The Falcons and Cowboys don't scare me.

King Friday
12-30-2011, 10:21 AM
I really want Lions and Saints to play each other first round...gets one of the elite offenses out of the way.

Falcons and Cowboys don't scare me. Neither team has any kind of playoff success in the last decade, and that is for a reason.

Niners and Giants are going to be tough outs since both can run the ball and probably are built better for a snowstorm than we are.

Tarlam!
12-30-2011, 10:40 AM
I just don't want the Giants. The rest I am so bothered with, but I hope Brees doesn't a bye week.

KYPack
12-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Last year was so cool because I had little expectation. This year, I feel like it's a jinx to "want" one team or the other.

I really feel the Saints or Giants are the only team that has a shot to beat us, because they both think they just missed doing it this season.

ANY team from the NFC can get hot and go all the way. Look at us last season.

Guiness
12-30-2011, 11:58 AM
I don't think anyone's too interested in seeing the Giants again. Part of what scares me about them is the season Eli is having. He's not one of the elite 3 QB's in the league, but has played really well.

Fosco33
12-30-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't attribute much to jinxing a team - or superstition - or luck.

We needed the Giants to lose to the Eagles and the Bucs to lose to the Lions last year just to make the playoffs. If we had not 'wanted' the Giants/Lions to win - would it have changed the eventual outcome - no way. And both of those contests ended in dramatic fashion.

I'm purely pontificating matchups to show that the game this weekend vs. the Lions actually means a lot to the Packers as it gives us better options...

MadtownPacker
12-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Only team that is a true threat is NYG. They are some schizo MFers who can be champs or chumps any Sunday. Saints, ATL, lions and cowboys would be affected by weather IMO. 49ers might be one and done but if they make it I think Packers will blow them out. Their fans talking all kinds of shit now so Im offering this bet to 49ers fans. $50 for whoever stays alive longest in playoffs, and it doubles if SF meets GB. Usually shuts them up but I have had a few takers.

hoosier
12-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Don't care who they play. If they're playing like they can they will not get beat. By the same token, it would not surprise me terribly to see them lose to any of the above teams.

BobDobbs
12-30-2011, 08:08 PM
We're going to the Super Bowl. I just want what's fun to watch.

That first weekend I want to see Detroit in NO. Turf teams, whipping it all over, tons of scoring. Nothing better than January football.

I hope NO wins so we get to watch them play in SF. That's a great matchup of different mindsets.

I've got a grudge against every single possible second round opponent. We owe NY from 2007, ATL wishes they were hard, DET needs to learn to respect the game, and I'm still pissed about DAL ending our season three years in a row. So, its all good. I'll relish any of those team seeing their dream die on the Tundra.

Beating Brees shuts up Saints fans but beating the Niners gives me bragging rights in my town.

KYPack
12-30-2011, 08:34 PM
We're going to the Super Bowl. I just want what's fun to watch.

That first weekend I want to see Detroit in NO. Turf teams, whipping it all over, tons of scoring. Nothing better than January football.

I hope NO wins so we get to watch them play in SF. That's a great matchup of different mindsets.

I've got a grudge against every single possible second round opponent. We owe NY from 2007, ATL wishes they were hard, DET needs to learn to respect the game, and I'm still pissed about DAL ending our season three years in a row. So, its all good. I'll relish any of those team seeing their dream die on the Tundra.

Beating Brees shuts up Saints fans but beating the Niners gives me bragging rights in my town.

You are truly a sub-genius, BD.

Upnorth
12-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Good opening post to the thread. Interesting take on why this sunday might mean something to the packers. I still say bubblewrap them and let everyone else sort it out. I hope we see atl and dallas or route to the sb. I seriously doubt we will, but it would be easiest. No and sf and det have the horses to knock us out if we don't play very well.

Upnorth
12-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Its funny but I had more faith in the 2009 and 2010 playoff teams than this one.

Tarlam!
12-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Its funny but I had more faith in the 2009 and 2010 playoff teams than this one.

Prolly a symptom of the way the defense has been playing recently and the KC game.

mraynrand
12-31-2011, 12:01 AM
You are truly a sub-genius, BD.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tTF90HF4ElE/R9Kdu90IQxI/AAAAAAAAACs/GA5IP-gPhik/s400/18829909.jpg

How persheptive you are!

Tarlam!
01-02-2012, 02:18 AM
So, how do we feel? The only thing that we can be certain of is that the Packers will not face NO. Otherwise, NYG. Dirty Birds or DET.

Does anybody think the Lions can go down to NO and beat them in their dome?

The Saints have, per Week 16, the 3rd worst passing defense and rank 12th best against the run. Overall, the NO D ranks 22nd. I doubt the Lions intend on running it much.

The Lions rank 22 against the pass and 23 against the run. 23rd overall (per week 16). The Saints have a legitimate run game and now that the pass record padding is over, they can mix it up a bit more and control the clock.

I see the keys are this: The Lions find themselves in the wrong dome, Brees and the Lions non-existant pass defense and NO running game. Sure, Stafford and co. will run with them if they get a few calls, make a few plays and get lucky. Clinching it is, IMHO, playoff experience. The Saints have been there before. The Lions have youth, but no playoff experience. I don't think it will even be close.

Tarlam!
01-02-2012, 02:20 AM
If the Lions DO knock off the #3 seed, they'll grow a foot before coming back into Lambeau. Just like tha Packers did last year after they disposed of Philly. They went on to throttle Atlanta in the Georgia Dome. What might make the Lions show the Packers respect is that just got beaten by the Packers' record-setting varsity team.

I hate the idea of either NYG or Atlanta. Why? Well, my views on NYG are well known. Atlanta will go into Lambeau looking for Payback, BIG TIME!!

Any of these three teams will face a rabid crowd and intense cold They will not play a varsity team. Instead they meet a well rested, healthy, highoctain offense, but a still pitiful defense. A team full of vets that have "been there, done thats!" and very reliable, well adjusted rookies. The Lions and the Birds will be motivated to the max and the Giants have proven they can win in January at Lambeau.

hoosier
01-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Det and Atl don't have a chance of beating the Packers, in Lambeau or anywhere else. The Giants are a much bigger threat, especially if their defensive line is all healthy and Eli isn't throwing picks.

mmmdk
01-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Det and Atl don't have a chance of beating the Packers, in Lambeau or anywhere else. The Giants are a much bigger threat, especially if their defensive line is all healthy and Eli isn't throwing picks.

I agree 100%; Giants are a slightly lesser bonafide underdog with actual Championship qualities a la Packers 10-6 wild card team from last season.

pbmax
01-02-2012, 10:32 AM
I suspect that Detroit has a punchers chance. If they don't fall behind by more than 2 scores (unlike last game there) they have the offense to keep pace with NO. They got an out of hand game there down to one score late. The only thing I don't know is if that was only garbage time points.

But I think a second go around will boost the Lions chances early. Brees can be picked off. I don't think it'll be a slam dunk, Schwartz and Cunningham can design a defense. I just hope they do a better job this week than last. :lol:

King Friday
01-02-2012, 01:32 PM
I give Detroit a chance in NO...probably the only team other than GB who could give them a game in their dome. I don't see Detroit getting it done though. Brees > Stafford at this point, and the Lions don't have the threats in the running game that the Saints do.

Detroit is also highly likely to garner too many penalties, especially at critical times.

Bretsky
01-02-2012, 04:49 PM
NO
Blowout

NO pick Stafford twice

ND72
01-02-2012, 05:25 PM
NO will beat Detroit...I'm not so sure the giants will beat Atlanta. The winner of that game though is dangerous for us. Not very confident right not.

BobDobbs
01-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Good entertaining games this weekend. The night game should be high flying, it might take fifty to win. Lots of talking. Saturday night in New Orleans. If I could I'd fly down for the weekend just for the party. Detroit's secondary is horrible though. I don't see how they keep up. If Schwarz would just coach in a big diaper it'd be fantastic.

I'll watch the Atlanta V New York game too. I'd love Atlanta to win because we'll trounce 'em. They've got a ceiling. New York is all over the place, you might catch em on a good day and then its a problem. I think Atlanta is 1-3 outside this year, so that's a problem. They match up ok though. Maybe the birds do us a favor and win in NY, but I wouldn't bet on it.

RashanGary
01-03-2012, 12:09 AM
The Giants are absolutely nasty, but ATL is a tough matchup for them. ATL is more of a running team, so those pass rushers won't be as prominent as they would against the Packers or Saints.

I hope to hell we don't get the Giants. They're healthy up front for the first time all year I think. First time in a long time, anyway. They could line JPP, Osi and Tuck up on 3rd down and we'd be fruckin toast. Similar to Brady in 2007.

I don't love the idea of playing either ATL on a cold windy Lambeau day, or the Giants. We're going to have a tough, tough road if we're going to even get to the SB. Detroit is the only pretender. The rest of them can win it all.

If we get to the SB, boy, it's a tough year in the NFC, we will have to earn it. The Giants are really underrated.

easy cheesy
01-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Talk is cheap (and so am I... *wink*) May the best team win. I'm tired of all the "what if's" and "if only's". Let the post season begin and GO PACK GO!

easy cheesy
01-03-2012, 01:37 AM
Watch out for those little ol' Giants... but... again... the better team shall win.... GO PACK GO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoBrfLX16a8