PDA

View Full Version : PACKERS ROOKIE CLASS

Bretsky
12-31-2011, 10:15 AM
Brings Special Touch

A great Read

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-rookie-class-brings-special-touch-ng3kga2-136462563.html

Bretsky
12-31-2011, 10:17 AM
and Ted's interview on the draft picks

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-draft-class-ng3khcj-136463373.html

Fritz
12-31-2011, 10:57 AM
If I were a Packer rookie, I'd probably be going through TT's analyses with a fine-tooth comb. This line, spoken about Lawrence Guy, caught my attention, for example: "We thought he had a chance."

Thought? As in past tense? Do you mean "thought" as in this year, or do you mean "thought" as in "this guy's career is over"?

It's hard to know if Thompson's comments were printed in the order given, and knowing that is crucial to context. But if they were given sequentially as printed in the article, then Thompson seems to feel very differently about different guys. For example, at least twice he said about Derrick Sherrod that he "was not worried" about the guy's ability to be a player. Would that suggest Ted was a little worried? He also seems to like to say, as a compliment, that coaches are comfortable playing certain rookies. He mentioned DJ Williams, Ryan Taylor, and AJ Green in this regard. He really seems to like Cobb, too. He was pretty complimentary of Davon House, although reserved, while he praised DJ Williams immediately afterward and very highly as a player and person. Makes me wonder if that means Ted thinks Davon House is a bit of a dick!

But who knows? Context means so much here.

He also seems to like Jamari Lattimore.

Interesting read.

Lurker64
12-31-2011, 01:46 PM
If I were a Packer rookie, I'd probably be going through TT's analyses with a fine-tooth comb. This line, spoken about Lawrence Guy, caught my attention, for example: "We thought he had a chance."

Thought? As in past tense? Do you mean "thought" as in this year, or do you mean "thought" as in "this guy's career is over"?

I think the past tense was to indicate their mental state at the time they made the pick, which is in the past. Ted usually talks like this about guys he drafted.

It's an implied answer to "why did you pick that guy?" ... "because we though he had a chance."

Fritz
12-31-2011, 02:09 PM
Then that would indicate he's still got hopes for Lawrence "Justa" Guy. Whew. Wouldn't it be something if the dude could contribute next year?

Lurker64
12-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Then that would indicate he's still got hopes for Lawrence "Justa" Guy. Whew. Wouldn't it be something if the dude could contribute next year?

I have the sneaking suspicion that Guy went on IR because he wasn't going to make the roster on his own merits and they had a justification for putting him on IR so they wouldn't have to expose him to waivers (where he would likely be claimed.)

Since the majority of what he had to get right was mental, being able to go to meetings but unable to practice was probably okay in order to get him on track for next year.

Bretsky
12-31-2011, 06:15 PM
Wouldn't Brooks Reed look good in that article :)

Tarlam!
12-31-2011, 06:28 PM

Sigh, yeah.

pbmax
01-01-2012, 10:29 AM

You know, occasionally you do hit on one. :)

Did you not like Pierre Paul when he came out?