PDA

View Full Version : Rants and Raves

ND72
08-16-2006, 10:54 AM
By Chris Havel

RANT: What do the Green Bay Packers and the Green Bay Blizzard have in common? Neither has a punter. The difference is the Blizzard has an excuse. The Packers' punters — B.J. Sander and Jon Ryan — leave plenty to be desired.

Sander gets decent hang time, and his getaway time has improved drastically, but he doesn't have the necessary leg strength. Sander is especially susceptible to short punts when the weather gets chilly.

Ryan has a powerful leg. There's no question about that. But he is susceptible to having punts blocked, and he is very inconsistent. Ryan will boom a 60-yard punt, and he will turn around and shank a 25-yarder. What happens when the Packers are backed up deep in their territory, and Ryan is a step from the back of the end zone, and he shanks it? Or worse, it gets blocked? The opposing team scores.

In a best-case scenario, Ryan finds the necessary consistency to perform in the NFL. So far, I don't see that happening. In a worst-case scenario, Sander wins the job by default and the Packers are strapped with a mediocre (at best) punter. It's time to bring another punter into the mix. Why bother trying to discover whether Sander or Ryan is better when neither is the answer?

RAVE: Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy were the bright spots in Saturday night's debacle at San Diego. Rodgers shined despite inadequate time to throw, and he showed a fair amount of command and confidence in the pocket.

The head coach was a bright spot because his reputation is that of a quarterbacks' coach, and thus far, McCarthy is proving to be exceptional in that area. He and Brett Favre have a strong working relationship and good communication, and Rodgers is playing at a higher level than many imagined possible.

McCarthy's ability to coach up Rodgers suggests he can do so in other areas given time. Rodgers' ability to make progress shows he can take coaching and possesses the necessary talent to justify selecting him in the first round of the 2005 NFL draft.

RANT: What part of staying behind the line on the sideline doesn't Charles Woodson understand? The Packers' high-priced free agent cost his team a penalty for no good reason. Every team has a "get back" guy, but I always wondered why it was necessary. Shouldn't NFL players, and highly paid professionals to boot, be able to stand where they are supposed to on the sideline? Apparently, that isn't the case.

RAVE: Greg Jennings did nothing against San Diego to suggest he isn't going to be a very good receiver this season. He had one crucial drop, but I'm guessing he will learn from that and it won't be repeated. The Packers needed to hit on this second-round draft pick, and so far that appears to be the case.

RANT: Najeh Davenport must have eyes in the back of his head because he can't see worth a darn when he's running straight ahead. The Packers' fifth-year back missed several holes and made the offensive line's run blocking appear much worse than it really was. Davenport isn't a featured ballcarrier, and I wouldn't hesitate to start Ahman Green, Samkon Gado or Noah Herron ahead of him.

RAVE: For all the talk about moving Nick Barnett out of the middle linebacker spot, he was another of the few bright spots. Barnett is a pro. It isn't his fault if it turns out that a certain high draft pick can't cut it at outside linebacker. The idea is to get the best three linebackers on the field. Right now, that's Barnett, Brady Poppinga (as soon as he's healthy) and Ben Taylor, with Roy Manning just off the pace.

ok....Now, I would like to go on record and let everyone know that Chris Havel is a complete and total IDIOT

ahaha
08-16-2006, 12:02 PM
I agree with most of what you said, but I thought A.J. Hawk looked pretty good. I'm not sure what made you think he can't cut it.

ND72
08-16-2006, 12:07 PM
I think AJ looked real good game 1....Havel has been on an anti-AJ Hawk crusade since we drafted him and not his guy Vernon Davis.

ahaha
08-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Whoops, I guess I haven't had enough coffee this morning and I'm still a little hazy. I totally missed that Chris Hovel was the author.

Astonishment
08-16-2006, 12:18 PM
I think it is a joke to to say Roy Manning is ahead of Hawk. From everything I have read Manning hasn't improved at all over last year, if anything he has regressed a bit. Than watching both of their performances on Saturday, where Hawk played well, and (from what I recall) Manning played average at best. I don't get this at all.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Yeah, his Hawk rant makes little sense. Havel sure likes to play favorites (Favre=positive; Hawk=negative). You have to call out when a guy plays solidly.

Patler
08-16-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure what he bases his rating of Poppinga on either. When Poppinga was injured last year, he was by no means an accomplished linebacker. Valuable contributor, yes. Able to do some things as a linebacker, yes but still learning the position. He hasn't had the chance to show anything yet this season.

I think putting Poppinga and Manning ahead of Hawk is a bit far-fetched. I'm not even sure Manning will make the final roster. He's fighting with White for the #6 spot, if they keep 6.

4and12to12and4
08-16-2006, 10:29 PM
I cannot believe he put in print that Roy Manning is ahead of Hawk. And this isn't a pro-hawk rant either. Manning looked very subpar Saturday. I'm going to go back to the game again, because I can't remember why I came to this conclusion, I just remember rewinding a few times, while saying "who the hell missed that one" and it was good ol' #54. Did anything good ever come out of Michigan!! (oh, wait, didn't we just pick up a cornerback from that neck of the woods? :mrgreen: ).

Packers4Glory
08-17-2006, 12:45 AM
manning looked like crap in the few plays I watched. Aside from the early gates catch right out of the box, Hawk looked pretty good.