PDA

View Full Version : Let's Take The Peter King Quiz

pbmax
01-02-2012, 10:37 AM
On your honor no Googling. Don't repost this list of questions, just number you answers and someone will repost the answers in order intermittently.

General, Sublime and Ridiculous Section

1. What team, in a January playoff game, had 11 defensive backs dress for the game -- a quarter of the active roster -- and won the game because of that defensive depth?

2. A 40-yard-line seat at the first Super Bowl cost $12. A ticket to watch the Super Bowl last February in Arlington on a big-screen TV in an exclusive roped-off area outside Dallas Cowboys Stadium cost how much?

3. Which first-round pick in the 2011 draft has sisters named Passionate and Peace?

4. Five hours after the players and owners broke off talks in March in the nation's capital, which two negotiators were seen at the Westend Bistro in Washington with five empty beers bottles on the table -- and, I might add, were not very happy to be seen?

5. What Midwestern NFL franchise has traded up in the draft twice in its history?

6. Which father and son were taken with the exact same draft pick 24 years apart, the son being picked last April?

7. An NFL kicker competed in the Preakness Cornhole Tournament in the infield at the famed horse race in Baltimore. Which kicker?

8. Which NFL player's new book had readers standing in line to buy it 31 hours before it was placed on the shelves last June?

9. Under the new labor agreement, how many padded practices per season can an NFL team have?

10. Owners voted 31-0 in July to approve a 10-year labor agreement with players. Which team, not surprisingly, abstained?

11. One of the big keys for players in the new labor deal was earning a bumped-up percentage of all future television revenue. What percentage of TV revenue will players get over the 10 years of the current agreement?

12. In training camp, which owner, after watching a stretch of hard practices for his team, arranged for two ice-cream trucks, with chimes ringing, to drive onto the practice field?

13. Who are the Buffalo Bills' offensive and defensive coordinators?

14. Who is the only man to play for Joe Paterno at Penn State and go on to be a head coach in the NFL?

15. Which team, with six playoff appearances in the last seven years, is 5-25 in its last 30 preseason games?

16. According to commissioner Roger Goodell, a female is likely to be doing something in an NFL game for the first time in league history within three years. What will a female be likely to do?

17. In Cam Newton's first four games, he threw for 374 yards or more three times. In John Elway's first 170 games, how many times did he throw for 374 yards?

18. This NFL tackle tweeted on his iPhone that he didn't know who Steve Jobs, the inventor of the iPhone, and many other things, was.

19. Speaking of tweeting: Name the player who tweeted this season: "One of the reasons I don't tweet much is cause the weed jokes get kinda old."

20. The Rams scored four points in the third quarter at Arizona Nov. 6. How many times had that been done previously in the 92-year history of the NFL?

21. Name the team that started the season 1-4 and finished the season 0-3 and made the playoffs.

22. What coach took his team to the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery the day before playing a road game at Washington this year?

23. What team had two players whose names ended in "kowski'' who combined to outscore the New York Jets by themselves, 25-16, in a 2011 game?

24. This Villanova product and urban poet was signed to the active roster, released or signed to the practice squad a total of 21 times by one team in the past five months -- and had a grand total of two tackles in 2011.

25. According to an SI story in 2011, this NFL executive turned down an opportunity from the Jets in 1983 to be an offensive quality-control coach on Joe Walton's staff?

Who Said It?

26. "In this society, everybody wants to fire the coach all the time. We don't do that here.''

27. "I've been underestimated. I always find that to be a wonderful competitive advantage.''

28. "I hope John does better than I did, because I stunk at it.''

29. "I spent a lot of time in school psychologist offices. I didn't apply myself. I might have had some learning disability, but they used to give me these IQ tests, and one day my Mom told me, 'You blew away the IQ test -- there's nothing wrong with you.' I said, 'Mom, I just don't like studying.' ''

30. "They talk about heaven, and I don't know what is waiting for me up there. But I can tell you this: Nothing will happen up there that can duplicate my life down here. Nothing. That life cannot be better than the one I've lived down here, the football life. It's been perfect.''

31. "If [Ryan Mallett] is not a top 10 player in this draft, then I quit.''

32. "If Roger's in office for 25 years, this will be the toughest challenge he'll ever face. However it turns out, it's a resolution he'll have to live with for the rest of his career.''

33. "Albert Haynesworth can do almost anything he wants. He doesn't want to do anything. To me, that's the issue. He's one of those you walk into a meeting and tell him, 'Put the phone down.' The next day you have to tell him to put down the phone. The next day you tell him to put down the phone.''

34. "Robert Kraft is a man who helped us save football. Without him, this deal does not get done.''

35. "I will not play for another team. My last down of football will be with the Colts.''

36. "It's good to be in heaven.''

37. "We don't have a chip on our shoulders. We've got a bag of Doritos.''

38. "When I was sitting in that Green Room at the draft in New York, and I was dropping, and no one would pick me, the last thing I was thinking was it was a good thing. But I'm glad I got to fall way down. I should be here. It's the place for me. The game is bigger than us. The team is more than us. It's a community team, blue-collar and understated and not at all about self-glorification. Vince Lombardi put it that way: Winning is the only thing that matters.''

39. "I was told, 'Mayor Bloomberg just went on TV, said you should be, you know, punished to the full extent of the law.' I said, 'Who is Mayor Bloomberg?' ''

40. "Al Davis and I would talk for a solid hour, two or three times a month. Nighttime, weekends -- it didn't matter with Al. In all those hours and hours of conversations, Al gave me a Harvard Business School degree in pro football. It's something I could never repay.''

41. "The NFL would fall apart without me.''

42. "As a coach, your only job is to put your players in the best position to win, with all the different skill sets they have. What kind of coach would I be if I didn't look at what my players do best, and try to capitalize on those things?''

43. "Have a good day, Mr. King. And God bless you."

44. "Hey Ben! You Tebowed 'em!''

45. "I hope I am the Tim Tebow of the Iowa caucuses.''

Big Players, Big Games

46. He threw for 854 yards in his first eight NFL quarters.

47. He set an NFL record for field goals in a season.

48. They committed nine false-start penalties in a very loud road stadium.

49. He sacked Matthew Stafford six times this season.

50. He had games of 19, 17, 16 and 16 tackles but was not elected to the Pro Bowl.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/01/01/week.17/index.html#ixzz1iJsLJATF

pbmax
01-02-2012, 10:51 AM
1. Jets, vs. Patriots 2010 playoffs.
6. I think this is the Wisniewski father/son combo
8. Tim Tebow
10. Oakland
11. 60% of TV revenue
14. Mike Munchak
16. referee

38. Aaron Rodgers
43. Tim Tebow
44. Mike Tomlin
47. San Francsico 49ers
50. I think Brian Cushing

retailguy
01-02-2012, 11:19 AM
21. Denver Broncos
22. Jim Harbaugh
23. New England
26. Dan Rooney?
33. Mike Shanahan
34. Jeff Saturday
39. Plaxico Burress
45. Rick Perry
46. Cam Newton
47. David Akers
49. Jarod Allen

Smidgeon
01-02-2012, 12:04 PM
2. $200
3. Prince something or other - the CB
4. Goodell and Smith
9. 14
11. 55%
13. Nobody cares
14. Munchak - Titans' coach
16. Be an official in an NFL game
17. Twice
21. Broncos
23. Patriots
24. some guy on the Patriots team--don't remember his name
46. Cam Newton
47. David Akers
48. Chicago Bears
49. Julius Peppers

pbmax
01-02-2012, 12:57 PM
1. Jets, vs. Patriots 2010 playoffs.
2. $200
3. Prince Amukamura
4. Goodell and Smith
?? 6. I think this is the Wisniewski father/son combo
8. Tim Tebow
9. 14
10. Oakland
?? 11. 55% or 60%
?? 13. Nobody cares
14. Mike Munchak
16. referee
17. Twice
21. Denver Broncos
22. Jim Harbaugh
23. New England
?? 24. some guy on the Patriots team--don't remember his name
?? 26. Dan Rooney
33. Mike Shanahan
38. Aaron Rodgers
34. Jeff Saturday
39. Plaxico Burress
43. Tim Tebow
44. Mike Tomlin
45. Rick Perry
46. Cam Newton
47. David Akers and San Fran
48. Chicago Bears
?? 49. Jarod Allen or Julius Peppers
?? 50. I think Brian Cushing

hoosier
01-02-2012, 01:08 PM
5. Packers
15. Colts
40. Ron Wolf

pbmax
01-02-2012, 01:14 PM
5. Packers
15. Colts
40. Ron Wolf

Can't be the Packers. Thompson has gone up twice for Matthews and the DE/OLB that did not work out and got hurt (Jeremy Thompson?).

Wolf went up for Vonnie Holiday.

ThunderDan
01-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Can't be the Packers. Thompson has gone up twice for Matthews and the DE/OLB that did not work out and got hurt (Jeremy Thompson?).

Hmmmm..... we traded up for BJ Sanders. :oops:

hoosier
01-02-2012, 03:09 PM

Hmmmm..... we traded up for BJ Sanders. :oops:

I enjoy all of the benefits of a selective memory. :-)

pbmax
01-02-2012, 03:14 PM
I think 18 is Michael Oher (or Gaither, some form of Ravens tackle).

19 has got to be Ricky Williams.

pbmax
01-02-2012, 03:16 PM
32 is Jerry Richardson or Jerry Jones. Sounds like a Jerry kind of comment. But I am leaning heavily to Richardson.

42 Fox on Tebow after his initial dismissive comments?

hoosier
01-02-2012, 03:55 PM
41 = Al Davis?