PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Game Day Rose Bowl Thread....Da Badgers vs. Da Ducks

Pages : 1 [2]

Tarlam!
01-03-2012, 07:10 PM
I have a question about the game last night. Late in the 2nd quarter Toon got out of bounds but the game clock didn't stop and it took a few seconds before BB realized he had to burn another time out. What is up with that? They said it was because he wasn't going forward when he went out??? I thought if you go out at any time the clock stops no matter what direction you are going - or is this just in college??? :cnf:

Guessing: His forward progress had been stopped and the whistle was blown before he reached OOBs.

Bretsky
01-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Guessing: His forward progress had been stopped and the whistle was blown before he reached OOBs.

it was a terrible call IMO

What made it even worse, if you look at the replay....is one ref signaled him being out of bounce and the other wound the clock

Tarlam!
01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
it was a terrible call IMO

What made it even worse, if you look at the replay....is one ref signaled him being out of bounce and the other wound the clock

is it possible to determine which ref made their signal first? My guess is the "clockwinding" offical was blowing his whistle and reacted first.

Bretsky
01-03-2012, 07:55 PM
is it possible to determine which ref made their signal first? My guess is the "clockwinding" offical was blowing his whistle and reacted first.

Here is the JS explanation

The issues with the officials cropped in each half.

UW lost 13 seconds on its final possession of the first half and thus lost an opportunity to try for a go-ahead score.

Jared Abbrederis returned the kickoff 21 yards to the UW 34, and the Badgers had 25 seconds and three timeouts. Quarterback Russell Wilson hit Nick Toon for a 5-yard gain on first down and it appeared Toon made it out of bounds because the clock was stopped with 19 seconds left.

However, after the clock was stopped, the referee signaled the clock to start again. That caught the UW players and coaches off-guard and they finally called a timeout with six seconds left.

Bielema asked the officials for an explanation, but the play stood and Montee Ball then gained 4 yards on the final play of the half.

"We saw the play go out of bounds; the officials signaled it," Bielema said.

When that happened, Bielema began talking on his headset to assistant Charlie Partridge, who oversees the kickers. The plan was to get into field-goal range for Philip Welch, who had hit from 62 yards in warm-ups.

"During that time they started to run the clock," Bielema said. "By the time I got back over and called the timeout, whatever it was, six seconds. They were trying to tell me the clock didn't stop, and obviously, it stopped at some point and burned that off."

Bretsky
01-03-2012, 07:57 PM
HERE WAS THE OTHER ROAST JOB AS BB SAW IT

The UW coaches wanted to see if the ball had crossed the plane of the goal line.

"Basically what happened was, I know his foot touched the line," Bielema said. "It gets down to an issue of where the ball is. I was trying to get a read from my sideline official if we could review forward momentum. He didn't understand the question where I was at, and that's why they charged me a timeout."

Because UW had burned a timeout four plays earlier when the staff recognized the Badgers weren't aligned properly, the Badgers were left with just one timeout for the final 25:45 of the game.