PDA

View Full Version : T.J. Duckett

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Falcons running back T.J. Duckett is now believed to be on the Jets' radar and may be available for a third-round pick, a price the Jets appear willing to pay. Duckett and Suggs are both represented by Joel Segal, who didn't return several phone calls yesterday. -Foxsports

Maybe we should trade Davenport and a forth rounder to the falcons for T.J. The guy is big, strong, fast, and to top it off he runs in the ZBS. He would would be a big upgrade IMO.

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 11:29 AM
He kicked our assets in the ATL playoff game a few years ago. Bad memories of that game and how they destroyed us on the ground. I wouldn't mind having Duckett for a 3rd round pick. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

tyler

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Yep, thats what got me interseted, his price is not that high........

Packnut
08-16-2006, 11:33 AM
He'd be well worth a 3rd rounder. He knows the scheme and is better than anyone we have now backing up Green.

Creepy
08-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Don't really need Duckett. Green wil come back and with either Gado or Davenport in the backfield with him gives GB a 1-2 punch they haven't had since Levens & Bennett. Green & Henderson on third down gives you a HB for the screen/flare and a great receiving FB to take the dump if evrybody is covered. There is no need for Duckett and the only way to get him is to give up a WR. I don't think the Falcosn willgive up Duckett for either Ferguson or Gardner, so not trade with GB.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Don't really need Duckett. Green wil come back and with either Gado or Davenport in the backfield with him gives GB a 1-2 punch they haven't had since Levens & Bennett. Green & Henderson on third down gives you a HB for the screen/flare and a great receiving FB to take the dump if evrybody is covered. There is no need for Duckett and the only way to get him is to give up a WR. I don't think the Falcosn willgive up Duckett for either Ferguson or Gardner, so not trade with GB.

Creepy, Green still hasn't played a game since the injury, gado still hasn't picked up the sheme at all, and as for Davenport all I heard about him so far is bad reports. Not to mention hes an injury waiting to happen. We are far from set a RB, and I think Duckett would be a force that we desperately need.

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Duckett is a vast improvement over Davenport, even an improvement over Gado. Duckett's yards may have dropped off last year, but he has been a touchdown machine (11 in 2003, 8 in 2004, 8 in 2005). Duckett would compliment either Green or Gado nicely. He's a RB/FB hybrid, who would be hard to bring down in inclimate weather. Plus, the guy is from Michigan State. He fits better than fair-weather Davenport.

Come on Creepy, we've got THREE injury-prone RBs. Don't tell me you'd turn down bringing in one with experience and talent.

tyler

Creepy
08-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Who doyou give up? They won't take Gado or Davenport for him as they are getting rid of a RB. The only WRs we have that they may want are more valuable than Duckett. They will not trade him for Gardner or Ferguson. There is more to this trade than meets the eye. I think t he Falcons are pulling a fast one.

Right now GB is ubsettled at RB and if they get Duckett it will more confuse the issue. IMO, pass on Duckett and play with what we have.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-16-2006, 12:07 PM
There asking price is a 3rd, not that bad. I mean really besides Mike M. like 7 years ago, who ever really turns out to be that good in the 3rd round anyways. T.J. is well worth a 3rd, or maybe a 4th and a wideout.

Partial
08-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Why wouldn't they want him if he is so good? Though he's a vertical runner, he is not excelling in the system. It's really quite odd. Because of the fact Atlanta doesn't want him, I don't want him either.

Packnut
08-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Why wouldn't they want him if he is so good? Though he's a vertical runner, he is not excelling in the system. It's really quite odd. Because of the fact Atlanta doesn't want him, I don't want him either.

It's not that they don't want him, it's just that Norwod has impressed the hell out of the coaching staff.

Creepy
08-16-2006, 12:23 PM
So one player has moved up into the starting FB slot and they will not carry another. A rookie lookig good in a pre-season game is worth getting rid of Duckett. I agree, he has not exceled in the system and that will not translate to being better in GB.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Duckett averaged 3.1 yards/carry last year, and Atlanta is trying to get rid of him because he doesn't fit their zone blocking scheme--which is the same scheme we run. I wouldn't trade a 5th round pick for Duckett.

woodbuck27
08-16-2006, 12:33 PM
This is a player that certainly given OUR position at RB should be considered. It will cost more than a draft pick I am sensing.

Yes the Falcons are in the market for a WR. It seems to me that Atlanta offered T. J. Duckett to the Raiders for a trade for disgruntled WR Jerry Porter, but the reaction to that was a yaun from Raider fans. They seem satisfied with their RB situation.

# 45 T.J. Duckett Position: RB Height: 6-0 Weight: 254
Born: 02/17/1981 College: Michigan State NFL Experience: 5

RUSHING

Year Team G...GS.... Att.... Yards.... Avg....Long....TD
02 Falcons 12.. 3 ... 130.... 507 ......3.9.... 33 ...... 4
03 Falcons 16..10... 197.... 779...... 4.0... 55...... 11
04 Falcons 13.. 0 ... 104.... 509...... 4.9... 35...... 8
05 Falcons 14.. 0 ... 121.... 380...... 3.1... 25...... 8
TOTAL..... 55..13.....552.... 2175..... 3.9... 55....31

Very productive as a backup RB ! We could certainly use him. I'm not sure yet of his contract status.

RECEIVING

29 reception's for 233 yards an 8 yard avg. and 0 TD's. This demonstrates to me that he is primarily a fella that runs the ball but for 6 pt's.

He would be a solid acquisition and he's young, at only 26 years of age this coming Feb. 2007.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH FOR 2006 !!

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Duckett averaged 3.1 yards/carry last year, and Atlanta is trying to get rid of him because he doesn't fit their zone blocking scheme--which is the same scheme we run. I wouldn't trade a 5th round pick for Duckett.

Last year was his worst year for yards as a Falcon, though he's not really known for his yards. The guy has a nose for the endzone. Close to 30 TDs in 3 years. Only one other RB on the Packers roster has done better--Green.

Do you have an article about him not fitting with the zone blocking scheme? I haven't read that he's not working out and find that hard to believe since he's been so successful as a scoring back in ATL's system.

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2006, 12:39 PM
I probably could find multiple articles about how he is a bad fit. I'll look for them. So, you want to trade a 3rd round pick for a goalline RB? I'd rather see if Gado (strong kid) could do that. Besides, Favre is going for the TD record, you won't be seeing many goalline runs from the Pack.
:D

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Doesn't reference the scheme here, but here's the writeup on him on ESPN Insider. I think the "doesn't have great vision and fails to locate cutback lanes" would be a big concern.

"Runs with adequate forward body lean and almost always falls forward. Possesses adequate lateral mobility, flashes the ability to bounce runs outside after starting inside and shows a second gear in the open field. Does an adequate job of catching the football, is capable of running defensive backs over in the open field and can be productive after the catch. Lacks great instincts and doesn't read blocks well. Doesn't have great vision and frequently fails to locate cutback lanes. Fumbles too much considering hasn't been the primary ball carrier and doesn't practice great ball security. Doesn't explode out of cuts, doesn't run crisp short-to-intermediate routes and has problems creating separation working against man coverage. Lacks ideal recognition skills and has problems locating the soft spots in zone coverage. Overall, Duckett hasn't progressed as hoped and his lack of explosiveness limits his upside somewhat but he is a quality backup that is capable of stepping should the starter falter or sustain an injury."

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 12:43 PM
I probably could find multiple articles about how he is a bad fit. I'll look for them. So, you want to trade a 3rd round pick for a goalline RB? I'd rather see if Gado (strong kid) could do that. Besides, Favre is going for the TD record, you won't be seeing many goalline runs from the Pack.

Yes because I firmly believe that we'll be back down to Herron again come midseason and could use the experience in our backfield.

As for the TD record, wouldn't that contradict the whole 55-45 (pass/run) or vice versa talk that has been thrown around the last few days? You make it sound like Favre's going to be sending rockets like its the 4th. The only way Favre makes his record is if we have an effective, stable and reliable ground game. Otherwise, he hits the INT record before the TD record.

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2006, 12:44 PM
http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/OLSchemes.cfm

"Zone blocking is a system that changes little from week to week, and uses faster, more athletic offensive linemen. In a zone blocking scheme, the entire unit slants, or moves in one direction on a given play. As the offensive line moves laterally, the defense tries to move with it, with each defensive linemen attempting to stay in his gap assignment. The offensive linemen will then block whatever defender is in his zone, be it a lineman, linebacker, or even a safety that has moved into the box. These O linemen most often use the cut back block, which basically means going low on the defender, and the hook block, getting under the defender's pads to get him off balance. Quickness is more important than brute power. On a running play, the RB looks for a gap to open, and often cuts back against the flow of the offensive line when it appears. Cutback RB's like [Warrick] Dunn do well in this system, while power RB's like [T.J.] Duckett tend to struggle more, not having the agility to take advantage of hitting an opening when it appears. In a power blocking man scheme, the RB runs to the hole that should be there, based on the play call. This tends to suit the power RB's better."

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2006, 12:46 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+South/Atlanta/WWHI/default.htm

"We hear the Falcons fielded trade offers for RB T.J. Duckett from four teams on draft weekend. But the price wasn’t right — mostly sixth- or seventh-round picks were put on the table — so the Falcons held on to Warrick Dunn’s backup. Duckett has fallen out of favor in Atlanta because his straight-line running style doesn’t fit the team’s zone-blocking scheme, and the 254-pound Duckett isn’t the power runner that his immense size would suggest. But the biggest reason Duckett’s name has shown up on the trading block is because he’s a free agent after the season and Atlanta would like to receive compensation for its 2002 first-round pick, who won’t likely be re-signed. Duckett will face competition from rookie Jerious Norwood, a third-round pick. Norwood is a home-run hitter with blazing speed, and if he impresses the coaching staff in minicamp, the Falcons could still try to deal Duckett."

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2006, 12:48 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/review/teams/atlantafalcons.html

Heading into the draft the team was expected to bring in a young running back since Warrick Dunn is getting older and T.J. Duckett is not a great fit for their offense so it didn't surprise anyone when they chose Jerious Norwood of Mississippi St. in the third round. Norwood is an explosive player with excellent speed and, unlike Duckett, will be a perfect fit for their offense.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2006, 12:50 PM
http://www.fftoday.com/articles/stringer/06_take_08_10.htm

Keeping with the Broncos running back situation, don't expect the team to go after Falcons running back T.J. Duckett. Shanahan hasn't built his reputation on being stupid so he's not about to pick up a guy that hasn't been successful with a team that employs the same zone blocking scheme he uses.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Had enough?

So, not only is he coming off a terrible year, he doesn't fit the scheme and he'll be a FA after this season. Sounds like a guy I wouldn't give up more than a 6th round pick for.

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Good points Harv. Thanks for posting.

tyler

retailguy
08-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Had enough?

So, not only is he coming off a terrible year, he doesn't fit the scheme and he'll be a FA after this season. Sounds like a guy I wouldn't give up more than a 6th round pick for.

Nice posts Harvey...

I almost chocked when I read all the hoopla about Duckett. While he's got great prototype that's where it stops. The guy is hard to motivate, and a classic underachiever. Not at ALL what we need.

Just because he's got a "name" that you recognize doesn't mean he's a good football player. Cleditus Hunt had a "name", and that's about it..... Patience folks, PATIENCE....

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Had enough?

Nice posts Harvey...

I almost chocked when I read all the hoopla about Duckett. While he's got great prototype that's where it stops. The guy is hard to motivate, and a classic underachiever. Not at ALL what we need.

Just because he's got a "name" that you recognize doesn't mean he's a good football player. Cleditus Hunt had a "name", and that's about it..... Patience folks, PATIENCE....

Umm....I think if you read this whole thread, you'd realize that he's more than a "name we all recognize" retail. I think those in support of the concept threw plenty enough stats around to justify a "look". Don't sell the rest of us short for having an opinion that he might be a decent pickup, just because we recognize his name. Some of us pay attention to more than just the Pack (I had Duckett on my fantasy football team for two years--2003 and 2004--and he scored me a fair amount of points because of his ability to find the endzone).

I recognized Ahman Green when he was in the doghouse in Seattle and was excited about him being traded to the Pack, even though he was known as an underachiever and a fumbler.

tyler

woodbuck27
08-16-2006, 01:52 PM
My position today is one of relegation to accept what we have.

After hearing Brett Favre I am impressed with his confidence, though it seems guarded - yet realistic.

We received great news on Ahman Green yesterday and we can hope that he shows us that he is indeed recovered from a serious leg injury. Otherwise, we now have concerns about Samkon Gado ( reported out for some time yesterday) and will Najeh Davenport answer the call after his injury history?

We have also been concerned with Gado's hesitation and difficulty grasping the ZBS. He works very hard - he is very intelligent and dedicated. I trust he'll be fine, given what he showed us in 2005.

I see Noah Herron making OUR team, and William Henderson coming on very soon. Age may be a factor there but he compensates well, as a reliable pass option out of the backfield, and his blocking will improve. He's in solid shape for his age, and he plays this season because of those plus's.

On Offense I'll go with Brett Favre . The OL. Inexperienced and not yet at a solid NFL caliber, but maybe they'll jell sooner than we expect.

Favre said it:

They (the OL) have to get there.

Also - as Favre said. . .

Mike McCarthy and the OC and Offensive Coach's have to feature an offense that is based on the RUN - not passing the ball. That second option, would be folly.

Plus's:

Ahman Green's athletic ability and experience, along with his heart, determination and leadership.

Brett Favre's leadership and attitude appears solid. He's definitely on board for this season.

These are OUR men on Offense, and they will assist the inexperienced Coach's on OUR team to help prepare the OL - I trust. Then we have the experience and skills of Donald Driver and Bubba Franks and William Henderson, who's taken Sankon Gado under his wing, and will instill confidence in him.

We have hope and we have talent as well, and we wait for the rest to fall in place.

There isn't alot of sense, as it is now , to go out and bring in another RB, when we have capable players already at that position who full well understand the challenges with the Green Bay Packers. It's going to be one game at a time, and we hope to see growth and muturity on OUR Offense.

One game at a time. Put the BEST out there and fight like hell. Never give up this season on both sides of the ball.Will it be easy?

No ! We only can do OUR best, and that will be OK for me.

GO PACKERS! HOLD FAITH FOR 2006 and BEYOND !!

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Nice post jack.

MadtownPacker
08-16-2006, 03:18 PM
Because of the fact Atlanta doesn't want him, I don't want him either.

Good thing Wolf didn't think like you back in the early 90s.

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

the_idle_threat
08-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Because of the fact Atlanta doesn't want him, I don't want him either.

Good thing Wolf didn't think like you back in the early 90s.

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

That is exactly why I throw all my garbage into the neighbor's yard.

No Mo Moss
08-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Duckett is a vast improvement over Davenport, even an improvement over Gado. Duckett's yards may have dropped off last year, but he has been a touchdown machine (11 in 2003, 8 in 2004, 8 in 2005). Duckett would compliment either Green or Gado nicely. He's a RB/FB hybrid, who would be hard to bring down in inclimate weather. Plus, the guy is from Michigan State. He fits better than fair-weather Davenport.

Come on Creepy, we've got THREE injury-prone RBs. Don't tell me you'd turn down bringing in one with experience and talent.

tyler

Completely agree. Duckett, Green and Gado is a major upgrade.

retailguy
08-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Umm....I think if you read this whole thread, you'd realize that he's more than a "name we all recognize" retail. I think those in support of the concept threw plenty enough stats around to justify a "look". Don't sell the rest of us short for having an opinion that he might be a decent pickup, just because we recognize his name. Some of us pay attention to more than just the Pack (I had Duckett on my fantasy football team for two years--2003 and 2004--and he scored me a fair amount of points because of his ability to find the endzone).

I recognized Ahman Green when he was in the doghouse in Seattle and was excited about him being traded to the Pack, even though he was known as an underachiever and a fumbler.

tyler

Jack, I did read the whole thread, TWICE. I'm not insulting ANYONE's vast football knowledge, however, I take issue with people who trot out "stats" and use that to justify an acquisition. It just doesn't work. Even in TO's case it doesn't work. Look at the circus down there. You know it, I know it, Parcells knows it, and Jerry Jones knows it, the shit will hit the fan there at some point. TO's "stats" won't be enough. Just like Philadelphia...

There is no stat for "underachiever". There is no stat for "in trouble with the law". There is no stat for "pain in the ass in the locker room". There is no stat for "hard to motivate".

I've got news for you - EVERY single draft pick and many undrafted free agents can play football WELL. Or they wouldn't be there. They simply would not get an opportunity to get into a football training camp if they weren't capable. Ask ND72. He understands that the difference in "talent" between round 2 and round 7 is NOT huge. The 7th rounder was at the very least a solid football player somewhere and may have even been a "star" at a smaller school.

The real issue is what they DO once they get into the football camp. If everytime, the packers got into scoring position, they trotted out Najeh Davenport, he'd have a boatload of touchdowns too. If you watch Atlanta football, that is what they do. They rotate Duckett and Warrick Dunn. How many touchdowns does Dunn have? Compare that to Ahman Green. It's a different system and a different philosophy. I'm sorry, it just doesn't make TJ Duckett worth a shit.

Jack, I carried Duckett as a backup on my teams as well, for the very same reasons, but he is still a hard to motivate malcontent. Period. He's got stats, that's true, but so does Cleditus Hunt. That's why I used him for a comparison. Cleditus is a turd who can play football. TJ Duckett is a turd who can play football.

That's my point. Very sorry you took it as an attack on you or others. It wasn't meant that way. However, if you look back through the archives, you'll see that EVERY TIME someone with a recognizable name gets released, someone thinks we should add him.... Whether it is the same person everytime or not, a recognizable name generates this type of speculation. It gets a bit old after a while. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes, it is just stupid. Today, I took it as stupid. I fully recognize others may not have done that.

I, personally, am glad that TT ignores that kind of crap. I'm so grateful, even if the Pack go 0-16, that TT avoided TO, among others. We don't need more "names" we need to see if the guys we've got can play. I'm optimistic about this season, not record wise, but football wise. I think we'll enjoy watching the team battle, and lose their fair share. We'll watch guys grow, and we'll watch guys fail. Isn't it more fun to speculate who is going to fail, or who is not? We don't need another veteran to take time from someone with potential....

Peace... (As Michael would say)... Later

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-16-2006, 06:48 PM
I think its a little unfair to compare Duckett to the likes of TO. TO is a complete headcase who couldn't even finish the season on his team last year. Duckett has never done anything close to TO. Duckett has played the last five years relatively health and pretty productive. Very different personalities.

retailguy
08-16-2006, 06:52 PM
I think its a little unfair to compare Duckett to the likes of TO. TO is a complete headcase who couldn't even finish the season on his team last year. Duckett has never done anything close to TO. Duckett has played the last five years relatively health and pretty productive. Very different personalities.

What is the difference? Truly. The guy can't be motivated, at least to this point. Atlanta is giving up on him, trying to move him because they don't want him anymore.

TO has all the "stats" you want, and then some. Very few teams want him either. Why? - PERSONALITY. The unmeasurable "stat".

My point was there are MANY factors other than stats. Which ones aren't important. The fact they exist IS important. Very important.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Point well taken, but I just don't think Duckett is that bada character.......

retailguy
08-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Point well taken, but I just don't think Duckett is that bada character.......

Wasn't trying to claim he was an awful character, but that he was an underachiever. Which considering they are paying him hundreds of thousands of dollars for effort and he's giving mediocre effort at best, that could call his character into question, couldn't it?

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-16-2006, 07:18 PM
retailguy-Wasn't trying to claim he was an awful character

Then

retailguy-paying him hundreds of thousands of dollars for effort and he's giving mediocre effort at best, that could call his character into question, couldn't it?

So you are calling him out on his character which is exactly what I suspected, based on the fact that hes an underachiever. And all I said was I don't think he has that bad a charatcer ( or as you like, I don't think he is an underachiever considering the fact hes not even the featured back.

retailguy
08-16-2006, 07:57 PM
retailguy-Wasn't trying to claim he was an awful character

Then

retailguy-paying him hundreds of thousands of dollars for effort and he's giving mediocre effort at best, that could call his character into question, couldn't it?

So you are calling him out on his character which is exactly what I suspected, based on the fact that hes an underachiever. And all I said was I don't think he has that bad a charatcer ( or as you like, I don't think he is an underachiever considering the fact hes not even the featured back.

Sigh.... So it's all or nothing, huh? I spend three paragraphs talking about being an underachiever and hard to motivate. Then I speculate that poor effort leads to questions about character, now I'm inconsistent. Whatever, dude. You call it how you like. The guy is bad news, for WHATEVER reason you'd like to use. I'm just grateful he's not in the Green Bay locker room. Let him be the Jets problem. They've got some pretty big ones.

Take care....

BooHoo
08-16-2006, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't be willing to trade a third round pick for Duckett. We don't need a backup goal-line RB that badly. Third is way to high based on team needs. I would give a 7th rounder for him. I am more concerned with the O-Line than RB.

retailguy
08-16-2006, 08:11 PM
And all I said was I don't think he has that bad a charatcer ( or as you like, I don't think he is an underachiever considering the fact hes not even the featured back.

Went back and re-read your post and missed this. The reason he isn't the featured back is because he's an underachiever. As I recall he was a 1st round draft pick. You don't waste those on a "goal-line" back. If he was living up to his draft status, he'd BE the feature back.

You just made my point.... Thanks.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-16-2006, 08:24 PM
LoL, my point was him not being the featured back does not only make him a underachiver. Was Lamont Jordan an underachiever because he was behind curtis martin? No its just that they already have a really good back. Same thing in ALtanta, you can't call Duckett an underachiever because he doesn't start in front of a pro bowl back. Maybe he just needs a different Atmosphere.

]{ilr]3
08-19-2006, 10:17 AM
In an attempt to get this thread going again, what are you guys thinking now?

Of course experienced O-line help would be the key, but since no one of this caliber is available wouldnt it make sence to make a play for Duckett who could add experience in the position for this blocking scheme?

I know you guys have already covered some of these basis. I am just real interested watching this and wondering. Seems to be a better fit for us than he does for the Jet. Except the Jets are desperate for a RB.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-19-2006, 10:27 AM
I really think Duckett could help our team, but it seems like a lot of people really don't care for him. He has played in the ZBS for (I think) about 4 years and his career average is at least 4YPC. A lot of people say he's not that good and he only averaged 3.1YPC last year, but that was the only year it was that low.

Bottom line with Green getting old, and with davenport sucking of late, I think he could help our team for at least a couple of years.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2006, 10:28 AM
My point: Atlanta is looking to get rid of him because he doesn't fit their scheme. Unfortunately, their scheme is the same zone blocking run scheme that we run.

Guiness
08-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Good research HW. Some good points against T.J.

Is he that much of an underachiever? I didn't know he had that bad a reputation.

I think he'd be a good acquisition - not that he fits our system well as a feature back, but as a serviceable backup. I'd consider him an upgrade over Davenport. He has a better running style, and is as hard, or harder to bring down. OTOH, you could argue that we don't need Davenport either, and that he may not make the team - then I'll concede that T.J. would not help us either.

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2006, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't give up the draft pick Atlanta is looking for (3rd round pick) to get a serviceable backup. I'd rather keep the pick and hope to hit on an eventual solid starter in the draft next year. I wouldn't give up higher than a 6th round pick for him. Maybe a 5th, but that won't be enough.

The Leaper
08-19-2006, 12:27 PM
I'd rather use a 3rd round pick to try to get Lelie than Duckett. Duckett is someone who would've fit our old running philosophy much better.

4and12to12and4
08-19-2006, 01:01 PM
My position today is one of relegation to accept what we have.

After hearing Brett Favre I am impressed with his confidence, though it seems guarded - yet realistic.

We received great news on Ahman Green yesterday and we can hope that he shows us that he is indeed recovered from a serious leg injury. Otherwise, we now have concerns about Samkon Gado ( reported out for some time yesterday) and will Najeh Davenport answer the call after his injury history?

We have also been concerned with Gado's hesitation and difficulty grasping the ZBS. He works very hard - he is very intelligent and dedicated. I trust he'll be fine, given what he showed us in 2005.

I see Noah Herron making OUR team, and William Henderson coming on very soon. Age may be a factor there but he compensates well, as a reliable pass option out of the backfield, and his blocking will improve. He's in solid shape for his age, and he plays this season because of those plus's.

On Offense I'll go with Brett Favre . The OL. Inexperienced and not yet at a solid NFL caliber, but maybe they'll jell sooner than we expect.

Favre said it:

They (the OL) have to get there.

Also - as Favre said. . .

Mike McCarthy and the OC and Offensive Coach's have to feature an offense that is based on the RUN - not passing the ball. That second option, would be folly.

Plus's:

Ahman Green's athletic ability and experience, along with his heart, determination and leadership.

Brett Favre's leadership and attitude appears solid. He's definitely on board for this season.

These are OUR men on Offense, and they will assist the inexperienced Coach's on OUR team to help prepare the OL - I trust. Then we have the experience and skills of Donald Driver and Bubba Franks and William Henderson, who's taken Sankon Gado under his wing, and will instill confidence in him.

We have hope and we have talent as well, and we wait for the rest to fall in place.

There isn't alot of sense, as it is now , to go out and bring in another RB, when we have capable players already at that position who full well understand the challenges with the Green Bay Packers. It's going to be one game at a time, and we hope to see growth and muturity on OUR Offense.

One game at a time. Put the BEST out there and fight like hell. Never give up this season on both sides of the ball.Will it be easy?

No ! We only can do OUR best, and that will be OK for me.

GO PACKERS! HOLD FAITH FOR 2006 and BEYOND !!
My Lord, Woodbuck, did you major in Drama?

There is no way in hell that TT is going to give up a third round pick for a running back who has seemingly failed in the same zone we are running. I'm not saying he wouldn't be an able backup, and to be honest, I think there is a chance he'd do a better job than Davenport, I just don't like Najeh, but it seems like he is Najeh's clone. Bad vision, big guy that runs pretty good downhill, but won't be breaking any speed laws. But if TT gave up his third round pick, he might later realize what he's done and hang himself with a jock strap in the showers. :cry:

esoxx
08-19-2006, 04:59 PM
The point here is simple really, regardless of what you think of TJ Duckett as a player or person... Ain't going to happen.

TT isn't going to part with one of his precious draft picks to acquire a player. That's not his MO. He would rather have his 'nads hit 10 times with a ball-peen hammer than part with a pick. Any pick.

Hell, if he was apt to trade for a vet to provide relief, wouldn't he have done it early last year when the receiving corp included Andre Thurman, Jamil Jones & Taco Wallace? And this year with green as grass rookies, two of whom are playing a new position for the first time and struggling...perhaps trade for a vet guard to lend stability? Not going to happen. Certainly TJ Duckett's not going to happen.

4and12to12and4
08-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Don't you mean a ball-peepee hammer?

Sometimes I should just read and leave it at that! :oops: