PDA

View Full Version : Franchise tags for our important FA's

Upnorth
01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
The two most importants FA's for us to resign (in my humble oft inaccurate opinion) are Wells and Finley.

The projected francise tags are

OL : $9.447M - $9.81M
TE : $5.416M - $5.624M

Of the two, Wells is more important to the team (Obaloo 39) and would love to see a 4 year contract given to the 31 year old center. Also I think he would probably cost about 7 mil a year over the contract including 8 to 10 up front.

Finley I would tag and then play a bit of hard ball with, unless he cleans up his drops during the SB run. I would offer him a low base contract with high incentives based more on catch rate than yards and tds. Dude has amazing top 5 - 7 talent at TE and deserves a good pay day. I have stated before I am comfortable with about 7.5 per year, but I think his base should be about 5 mil and top out at 8 mil for incentives.

One last point, I am biased towards the importance of the Oline as a former RB. To me nothing is possible without a good Oline.

Brandon494
01-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Maybe if Wells was younger but no way I pay him that type of money.

Upnorth
01-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Arguably the best and most consistant player on a good oline is not worth that? I know its high, but we have no good centers waiting in the wings and that makes him more valuable.

Fritz
01-04-2012, 11:07 AM
I read an article a few weeks ago listing the salaries of some near-top tier centers of similar age, and I think they most had 4 or 5 year deals worth around 4 or 5 mill a year.

I don't know why Thompson hasn't gotten this one done.

pittstang5
01-04-2012, 11:18 AM
I honestly think the only player that may get the Franchise Tag is Finley. I don't think anyone on the current roster that could be a free agent at the end of the season is worth the money the tag commands and couldn't be replaced by a draft pick or bargain basement free agent. Wells being the exception, but that price seems steep for a Center.

Upnorth
01-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Thats it? Why did the colts let Saturday walk? Man are centers that undervalued?

Spaulding
01-04-2012, 04:44 PM
I'd love to see Wells resigned and I think he likes it here so might sign for a slight discount. Maybe a 5yr deal at $25 million with a fair amount up front if our cap allows for it? He's been solid since day one and just made the pro-bowl. As noted with really no player on the roster equal to filling for him it would hurt to lose him. Closest situation I can recall of a good center about Wells age was Birk leaving for the Ravens at $5/year and he had an injury history.

Then again, maybe my pipe dream of Konz dropping into the 20's and the Pack trading up to get him fleshes out and we're set again at center for the next 5+ years.

Patler
01-04-2012, 04:49 PM
What, no information on the tag prices for DBs? No love for Jarrett Bush?????

red
01-04-2012, 06:18 PM
What, no information on the tag prices for DBs? No love for Jarrett Bush?????

GAH

go back to wherever you were hiding at with nonsense like that

wells ain't getting the tag. centers aren't worth 9-10 million a year. sorry

Tarlam!
01-04-2012, 07:20 PM
centers aren't worth 9-10 million a year. sorry

Ironic, though. If they screw up their line adjustments, the franchise is heavily at risk.In my view, OC comes after LT as the most vital position on the OL. I get this idea from what I have. Having said that, I concede to knowing nothing about it. Apparently, the OC has to be close to the smartest guy on the team, especially if you have an average intelligence QB.

Bretsky
01-04-2012, 08:04 PM
I read an article a few weeks ago listing the salaries of some near-top tier centers of similar age, and I think they most had 4 or 5 year deals worth around 4 or 5 mill a year.

I don't know why Thompson hasn't gotten this one done.

I'd bet Wells and his agent are asking a lot more. They are comparing Wells against top Centers deals like Mangold while I'd bet TT is in the four MIL per year range

Bretsky
01-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Ironic, though. If they screw up their line adjustments, the franchise is heavily at risk.In my view, OC comes after LT as the most vital position on the OL. I get this idea from what I have. Having said that, I concede to knowing nothing about it. Apparently, the OC has to be close to the smartest guy on the team, especially if you have an average intelligence QB.

In many years you can get the top center in college football at the end of round one. Pouncey and Mangold come to mind. I'd rather draft a Center high then sign Wells to seven Mil or more per year.

I hope they resign him but I'd be hesitant to give much over five MIL/Yr

Little Whiskey
01-04-2012, 08:10 PM

first off Center is abreviated with a "C" not a OC. that is the abbreviation for offensive coordinator

Joemailman
01-04-2012, 08:12 PM
In many years you can get the top center in college football at the end of round one. Pouncey and Mangold come to mind. I'd rather draft a Center high then sign Wells to seven Mil or more per year.

I hope they resign him but I'd be hesitant to give much over five MIL/Yr

Konz could be there. TT has never drafted an interior OL before the 3rd round though. Colledge was an OT.

Tarlam!
01-04-2012, 08:42 PM
first off Center is abreviated with a "C" not a OC. that is the abbreviation for offensive coordinator

Hey, I know that. I've been off my game lately. I have to get my pad level corrected.

pittstang5
01-05-2012, 08:54 AM
TT has never drafted an interior OL before the 3rd round though. Colledge was an OT.

Has TT ever drafted an interior lineman? Seems all the lineman that TT drafts are tackles that the coaching staff believes could play inside.

Oh wait, wasn't the 6th or 7th rounder from TT's first draft a guard...can't remember his name....started at RG after Rivera went to Dallas.

Spaulding
01-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Spitz was drafted in the 3rd round to play Center.

Lurker64
01-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Has TT ever drafted an interior lineman? Seems all the lineman that TT drafts are tackles that the coaching staff believes could play inside.

Oh wait, wasn't the 6th or 7th rounder from TT's first draft a guard...can't remember his name....started at RG after Rivera went to Dallas.

In college, teams generally play their best offensive linemen either at center or at tackle (top guards come when you have two excellent OL prospects without sufficient length.) Many college offensive tackles have no business playing outside in the NFL, and so get moved to their natural position of guard when they go to the NFL. This is not at all weird. Georgia's Cordy Glenn and Iowa States Kelechi Osemele are college left tackles who will be playing guard in the NFL after they are drafted this April (neither one are likely on the Packers radar.)

Cheesehead Craig
01-05-2012, 01:47 PM
So the franchise tag for an OL is based on the top contracts for tackles regardless of their position?

I ask as it seems that the top C's are paid 4-5M/yr (per Fritz's comment) so why would the tag be 9M for Wells?

Lurker64
01-05-2012, 01:56 PM
So the franchise tag for an OL is based on the top contracts for tackles regardless of their position?

I ask as it seems that the top C's are paid 4-5M/yr (per Fritz's comment) so why would the tag be 9M for Wells?

Because the franchise designation is for "offensive linemen" not "offensive centers." So the OL tag number is based on the highest paid offensive linemen, all of which are tackles. There was talk during the endless CBA discussions about splitting the franchise tag to encompass more personnel distinctions (so you could franchise a fullback not at the running back number, say), but that didn't happen.