PDA

View Full Version : Is Holmgren Eyeballing Matt Flynn?

Scott Campbell
01-06-2012, 08:16 AM
http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/marla-ridenour-browns-should-target-packers-backup-quarterback-flynn-1.253828

"Although Holmgren steadfastly maintained he couldn’t discuss players from other teams, his eyes lit up when asked how much stock he put in a player throwing for nearly 500 yards and six touchdowns.
“That’s pretty good,” Holmgren said.
Asked if that was real, Holmgren said: “That’s a little unusual. You’re referencing the young man at what, the Packers? Yeah, I think when you go into your second start and you break the records that have been held by Bart Starr, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers in your second start, that’s a little unusual. Again, we can’t comment on players in the league right now.”
That’s about as good a no-comment as the former Packers coach could give as he walked the tightrope of NFL tampering."

mraynrand
01-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I heard him on the radio talking about that.. The Brownies have to do something. They have zero playmakers on offense. If they want to use their #4 to get offensive talent, they could skip drafting a QB if they sign Flynn. Colt McCoy is not the designated starter for next year. That's been made crystal clear. I personally don't think it's a great move signing Flynn. Flynn has ability, but I see him having a lower ceiling than the franchise QB you want. Still, I don't know who the Browns get at #4....

Tarlam!
01-06-2012, 10:16 AM
I personally don't think it's a great move signing Flynn. Flynn has ability, but I see him having a lower ceiling than the franchise QB you want. Still, I don't know who the Browns get at #4....

Disagree, only because I enjoy disagreeing with you. :)

But kidding aside, I would have the same opinion, but for coupla-three observations: He played great in both starts against teams that threw everything at him. The last game was all garbage time - they Packers had nothing to win except a few bragging rights. The offense could have just gone through the motions, but they didn't. They rallyed around Flynn.

The other thing is how coaches and players praise him publicly. Of course they are not going to rag him, but the collective love fest is real. Will he ever be as consistently good as Rodgers? Not many are and that's what makes Rodgers special, elite. But Flynn has got a game in him.

MadScientist
01-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Get Flynn, a stud receiver with the #4 and a really good TE at the top of round 2, and the Browns will be in the mix. Look how much Cincy improved by adding a stud receiver and a decent rookie QB. Not saying they would win that division, but they could, depending on breaks and schedule, be in the hunt for a wildcard in December.

Deputy Nutz
01-06-2012, 12:19 PM
I think Flynn will be an average starting QB if he is not playing McCarthy's and Philbin's scheme. Something is to be said for being 100% comfortable in an offense and that only happens when you spend several years in the scheme and the scheme fits with your abilities as a QB. Sure Flynn could run a West Coast based system and do a decent job, I don't think he is ever going to be Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees but he coud be a 4000 yard passer with 20+ TD and 10 picks a season, that wouldn't suprise me in the least. This is a passing league right now and if you can throw to good receivers anything is possible. See Cam Newton and Andy Dalton for examples 1a and 1b.

Lurker64
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM
The Browns are in the "Draft Robert Griffin III" spot (unless someone trades up into Minnesota's slot) so it's not like they can't get a QB through the way God intended it...

RashanGary
01-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Sure Flynn could run a West Coast based system and do a decent job, I don't think he is ever going to be Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees but he coud be a 4000 yard passer with 20+ TD and 10 picks a season, that wouldn't suprise me in the least.

Flynn can handle a lot at the line and plays with super fast tempo (shows he's things faster than the game, I love this trait, I notice it in many of the greats). When we lost Favre, Tempo was the thing I noticed most that we lacked. Favre pushed the fucking issue. He had defenses on their heels. AR slowed it down, still does play a little slower than Flynn IMO and a lot slower than Brees and Brady. AR is a tactician though and with guys like Jennings and Nelson, he can absolutely destroy teams with their route adjustment chemistry. Give the defense time to think, they get set in a defense, then GJ and JN adjust to the way the play develops, AR knows exactly what they're doing and we eat teams alive. Different stroke. Flynn's way (at-the-line play and tempo, playing a little more street ball, just letting his guys make plays and forcing the tempo down the defenses throat rather than trying to outsmart defenses are top qualities too.) For as average as his arm is, his intangibles are off the charts. The guys love him too, it's obvious.

4,000 yards, 28 TDs, 12 picks. . . . . I could see that being his game.

I could also see him being a clock eater. He's steady as can be, seems to be the type who keeps getting 1st downs. Maybe a little more risky than AR, but he's less likely to end a drive with a sack or a (non-1st down throw.)

With a good defense, I think a guy like Flynn, as steady as he is, as methodical as the offense seems with him. . . . . I think a team with a good defense/supporting cast around him could just roll up the time clock and snowball teams into submission by not even giving them a chance. SF would be a fucking terror with Flynn.

I think Holmgren likes his guy, doesn't mean he can't like Flynn too, but I think he's enjoying working with McCoy and believes in him.

Seattle seems to make the most sense. Or any team who would be willing to hire Philbin as coach and Clements as OC and already has a heck of a defense would be striking gold with Flynn IMO. He plays bigger than his numbers IMO. Minus Favre's mistakes, I thought Favre was a guy who played bigger than his numbers. A young Brady played bigger than his numbers. Montana played bigger than his numbers, Starr, etc. . . . . . .

Smidgeon
01-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I think Flynn will be an average starting QB if he is not playing McCarthy's and Philbin's scheme. Something is to be said for being 100% comfortable in an offense and that only happens when you spend several years in the scheme and the scheme fits with your abilities as a QB. Sure Flynn could run a West Coast based system and do a decent job, I don't think he is ever going to be Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees but he coud be a 4000 yard passer with 20+ TD and 10 picks a season, that wouldn't suprise me in the least. This is a passing league right now and if you can throw to good receivers anything is possible. See Cam Newton and Andy Dalton for examples 1a and 1b.

So on par with Schaub? A little below?

woodbuck27
01-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Get Flynn, a stud receiver with the #4 and a really good TE at the top of round 2, and the Browns will be in the mix. Look how much Cincy improved by adding a stud receiver and a decent rookie QB. Not saying they would win that division, but they could, depending on breaks and schedule, be in the hunt for a wildcard in December.

Close. Sign Matt Flynn. Go BPA on 'O' besides a QB or RB at #4. The Browns have another first round pick @ #26 fr. Atlanta. Go BPA 'O' again. Othwerwise ignore signing M. F. and go QB or trade down @ #4 and BPA ie TE or WR with the second first round pick at #26 in Round 1.

woodbuck27
01-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I heard him on the radio talking about that.. The Brownies have to do something. They have zero playmakers on offense. If they want to use their #4 to get offensive talent, they could skip drafting a QB if they sign Flynn. Colt McCoy is not the designated starter for next year. That's been made crystal clear. I personally don't think it's a great move signing Flynn. Flynn has ability, but I see him having a lower ceiling than the franchise QB you want. Still, I don't know who the Browns get at #4....

but .... you like Andrew Luck?