PDA

View Full Version : Turning Rodgers Career Around

pbmax
01-07-2012, 05:05 PM
This story by Bob McGinn is FAR closer to the Rodgers I remember in his first 3 years than the one that Andrew Brandt says they always "knew" was going to be successful.

A must read:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/

yooperfan
01-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up. A good read......

jdrats
01-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the link. Nice article, and far from detracting Rodgers I think it shows how hard he's worked to get to where he is now.

Jennings on ESPN site this morning:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7440878/greg-jennings-green-bay-packers-says-aaron-rodgers-better-brett-favre

A choice quote:
"...his attention to detail and his discipline to be perfect or so close to perfect I think that's really going to separate himself ... his study habits are ... they speak volume for themselves."

Sometime during the playoff run last year I read an article about Rodgers and McCarthy starting one-on-one meetings each Thursday night after the week's game plan had been installed. They started this routine around mid-season last year. Since then, it seems to me that Rodgers took the next step. He's used these meetings to not only know the plays, but to know what McCarthy will be thinking, what he's look for, when he calls a given play in the game situation.

I've not heard anything about this weekly one-on-one coaching session since the one report last year, but recently McCarthy made passing mention of "in our Thursday meeting" in reference to Rodgers. So I believe it continues. It is exactly this kind of extra work that has taken Rodgers to the upper echelon of QBs.

pbmax
01-09-2012, 08:10 AM
I think this is McGinn's collection of problems Rodgers faced. If this were the entire story, there would have been no reason to stay with him. If you assume that, then you get into the territory of the mind-readers who assume Thompson is so arrogant that he would never give up on a first round draft pick (look at Harrell!) because to do so would be to admit error.

But I think if you add up both McGinn's and Brandt's recollections, then you have something more complete.

Tarlam!
01-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Jennings on ESPN site this morning:

So I believe it continues. It is exactly this kind of extra work that has taken Rodgers to the upper echelon of QBs.

Thanks for posting the link - good story.

Thanks also for sharing the stuff about the Thursday Nite Ritual. Very interesting stuff and it's easy to agree with your conclusion.