PDA

View Full Version : clay's possible future sack partner on tv now

red
01-09-2012, 06:43 PM
the guy that may be soon playing opposite of CMIII is about to play in his last college game

Courtney Upshaw is being projected anywhere from mid first to mid 2nd round and would be a great addition to our pass rush

Joemailman
01-09-2012, 07:55 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632220/courtney-upshaw

Analysis
Read and React: Essentially asked to pin his ears back and rush the passer as a weakside defensive end in this scheme, though he shows enough play recognition to project as a linebacker. Feels screens coming and locates the running back rather than giving himself up by pursuing the passer. Locates the ball quickly and hustles in pursuit.

Pass defense: Not often asked to drop back into coverage in this scheme. Shows surprising fluidity when he does so, however, and keeps his head on a swivel. Reads the quarterback's eyes and breaks on the ball quickly, showing better agility than you'd expect for a player of his height/weight. May be unable to perform well in this role on a full-time basis, however, which could prompt the move to inside linebacker rather than outside at the next level.

Pass rush: One of his best traits. Possesses good burst off the snap and as effective a swim move as you'll see in college football. Adept at whipping either arm over the head of the blocker and twisting his body around his opponent to gain clearance with remarkable efficiency. Heavy, active hands which he uses to bat away the tackle's initial punch. Good lateral agility to elude and possesses good straight-line speed for the position. Has a legitimate burst to close on the quarterback and arrives with explosion, creating potential fumble opportunities.

Run defense: Stouter at the point of attack when run at than you'd expect given his lack of ideal size as a hybrid defensive end in this scheme. Plays with excellent pad level and has very good upper and lower body strength to anchor. Uses his impressive swim move and quick, heavy hands to slap away the blocker's attempts at getting into his chest, showing the ability to disengage quickly. Good lateral agility to slip past the blocker and set the edge. Unselfish player willing to take out blockers to create a pile and provide easy tackle opportunities for his teammates. Good effort laterally and downfield in pursuit.

Tackling: This is the area in which scouts from 4-3 teams will want to see more from Upshaw, as he's rarely put in position to make tackles in the open field. Shows good lateral agility and balance when breaking down in tight quarters to tackle elusive ball-carriers, so there is plenty of evidence to believe that he can make this transition. Good upper body strength. Capable of slowing the momentum of the ball-carrier with one arm while simultaneously engaged with a blocker, before slipping off the block for the pull-down tackle. Good effort and speed in pursuit. Physical, explosive tackler who can make the intimidating hit.

Intangibles: Established "The 41 Fund" during the spring of 2011 to help establish funds for the victims of the tornadoes that swept through the state of Alabama … Was arrested for domestic assault for an August, 2009 altercation on campus with his girlfriend, which police happened to be on hand to witness. The charges were ultimately dropped by both parties … Made his initial impression as a special teams standout, leading the Tide with 18 tackles on this unit in 2008 … Highly touted prep prospect who signed with Alabama rated by some recruiting experts among the top 30 players in the country, regardless of position. Was the Alabama Class 5A Lineman of the Year, as voted by the Alabama Sports Writers Association.

--Rob Rang

Don't know what TT thinks of him, but it's time to upgrade this position. TT has gone bargain basement at the position ever since trading up to get Clay. Time to get Clay some help. Not sure Upshaw will be available when the Packers pick though.

Tarlam!
01-09-2012, 08:23 PM
TT has gone bargain basement at the position ever since trading up to get Clay. Time to get Clay some help.

I agree with this, but feel compelled to defend TT. He clearly prioritized protecting the Franchise in an attempt to draft bookend tackles in the past two drafts. Can't fault his thinking there.

In 2010 he believed he was grabbing a DE with pass rush potential in Mike Neal. In-so-doing, he was, IMHO, bracing the team for the impending loss of Jenkins. In 2011, IMHO, TT fully expected Neal to step in and up. The glaring need was identified to be in the return game. He addressed that with Cobb. As a backup plan, he signed Shaky Smithson.

Rds 3 - Morgan Burnett has turned out far more productive than anything selected after him in terms of pass rush in rounds 3 and four. Also in last year's draft, no pass rushers after TT picked Green, the RB.

What's a GM to do?

KYPack
01-09-2012, 08:25 PM
He's rated as the number 2 OLB. Not second round, 2nd best in the draft. One guy on CBS had him falling to us, but the other guy had him going at 18.

if we get him, Red I'll buy ya a beer.

& TT will buy ya a shot.

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2012, 10:13 PM
when I saw "sack partner" I thought KY had scouted girlfriend for matthews

KYPack
01-10-2012, 07:51 AM
when I saw "sack partner" I thought KY had scouted girlfriend for matthews

Some latent angst over your Tank debacle, HH?

A pass rushing OLB is one of the pearls of any draft. I don't see the second (or maybe top) one falling to us in the latter portion of the draft.

I'd think we are more in line for the 3rd thru the fifth prospect, unless we move up.

Whitney Mercilus from Ill might be more in line for our draft slot.

+ I love the name, "another Mercilus sack"!

pbmax
01-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Some latent angst over your Tank debacle, HH?

A pass rushing OLB is one of the pearls of any draft. I don't see the second (or maybe top) one falling to us in the latter portion of the draft.

I'd think we are more in line for the 3rd thru the fifth prospect, unless we move up.

Whitney Mercilus from Ill might be more in line for our draft slot.

+ I love the name, "another Mercilus sack"!

And nickname him Ming.

ND72
01-10-2012, 08:43 AM
I love Upshaw...I've said since last season he'd be a great fit for GB, but I highly doubt he's gonna fall to us. If he does the rest of the NFL will likely protest and see if the NFL will listen to the NBA so the best can't get better.

gbgary
01-10-2012, 09:28 AM
I love Upshaw...I've said since last season he'd be a great fit for GB, but I highly doubt he's gonna fall to us. If he does the rest of the NFL will likely protest and see if the NFL will listen to the NBA so the best can't get better.

ok...you guys have convinced me. tt is just going to have to move up to get him. what can we offer....come on!

KYPack
01-10-2012, 09:40 AM
ok...you guys have convinced me. tt is just going to have to move up to get him. what can we offer....come on!

I don't think we have the chips to deal for Upshaw. Wwith the "rookie windfall" now gone, teams don't have to lay out much resource to land a blue chipper like Upshaw. Teams last year had no shot to get Von Miller away from Denver. Any team that can draft Upshaw (&needs a 3-4 OLB) will pull the trigger and do it.

It took a 2nd & 2 3rds to land Clay and he was only the 26th pick. Upshaw would be worth more, but I doubt he'll be up for bidding.

gbgary
01-10-2012, 09:57 AM
I don't think we have the chips to deal for Upshaw. Wwith the "rookie windfall" now gone, teams don't have to lay out much resource to land a blue chipper like Upshaw. Teams last year had no shot to get Von Miller away from Denver. Any team that can draft Upshaw (&needs a 3-4 OLB) will pull the trigger and do it.

It took a 2nd & 2 3rds to land Clay and he was only the 26th pick. Upshaw would be worth more, but I doubt he'll be up for bidding.

ok...you've convinced me. IT'S OFF! anyone else?

Cheesehead Craig
01-10-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm not so sure that Upshaw is a top 20 draft talent. I think he's going to go lower than that and it won't take as much to trade up to get him as many think.

He certainly seems a smart player, which you have to be with Saban's defense. I like him, but I don't see an outstanding pass rusher that's going to get 10+ sacks/season though. He would be an upgrade over what we have.

gbgary
01-10-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm not so sure that Upshaw is a top 20 draft talent. I think he's going to go lower than that and it won't take as much to trade up to get him as many think.

He certainly seems a smart player, which you have to be with Saban's defense. I like him, but I don't see an outstanding pass rusher that's going to get 10+ sacks/season though. He would be an upgrade over what we have.

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/willy_nilly.gif

ND72
01-10-2012, 10:13 AM
ok...you've convinced me. IT'S OFF! anyone else?

maybe we have a way to trade Flynn for a higher #1? :)

Smidgeon
01-10-2012, 10:28 AM
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/willy_nilly.gif

:D

Cheesehead Craig
01-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Come on, can't a guy make an outrageous comment on an internet forum about a draft that's several months away and not get called on it?

gbgary
01-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Come on, can't a guy make an outrageous comment on an internet forum about a draft that's several months away and not get called on it?

everyone got me charged up for this guy, then i had the rug pulled out from under me by KY, then you gave a bit of hope again. my emotions are in a tug of war.

Freak Out
01-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Speaking of Clay.....listening to him on ESPN radio right now. This guy is ready...and he says the time off has the Packers ready to go as well. A team of hungry, confident professionals.

LETS GO PACK!

Harlan Huckleby
01-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Some latent angst over your Tank debacle, HH

can't follow this connection, but it was your debacle. You had undies in bundle over having to tolerate somebody you don't like. Claims of Armageddon if he moves into neighborhood, when in fact your real fear was that he might be here permanently.

KYPack
01-10-2012, 03:32 PM
can't follow this connection, but it was your debacle. You had undies in bundle over having to tolerate somebody you don't like. Claims of Armageddon if he moves into neighborhood, when in fact your real fear was that he might be here permanently.

Bull, cat, dog and horseshit, HH.

You weren't on Sportsbubbler and don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Ask Pugger, she saw the whole deal go down with Tank over there.

About Upshaw, I agree with CC. He might not make it. if Curry, Maybin and Gholston flop, anybody can fail at OLB in a 3-4.

Harlan Huckleby
01-10-2012, 05:34 PM
What should I care what happened on Sports Bubbler? And what do I care about this particular poster? Nothing.

My only opinion is that somebody should be barred from the site because they break clearly understood rules, not because they are unpopular. Madtown decided to grant clemency to Tank, commuted his sentence for serial IP goofing. (If the guy was really so dastardly, I'm sure his stay here would be short and colorful.)

The tank haters raised their pitchforks and demanded a rougher justice. I don't blame anybody for not liking the guy. Maybe things are better off without him. In this instance, Madtown chose to accede to the mob chanting outside his palace window, perhaps fearful of the torches and nooses they brandished.

pbmax
01-10-2012, 06:16 PM
What should I care what happened on Sports Bubbler? And what do I care about this particular poster? Nothing.

My only opinion is that somebody should be barred from the site because they break clearly understood rules, not because they are unpopular. Madtown decided to grant clemency to Tank, commuted his sentence for serial IP goofing. (If the guy was really so dastardly, I'm sure his stay here would be short and colorful.)

The tank haters raised their pitchforks and demanded a rougher justice. I don't blame anybody for not liking the guy. Maybe things are better off without him. In this instance, Madtown chose to accede to the mob chanting outside his palace window, perhaps fearful of the torches and nooses they brandished.

Is this some sort of performance art you are developing or are you studying for your Masters researching online interactions?

Why would someone need multiple IP addresses unless they were involved with breaking the established rules of the forum? How can that have been anything other than trolling?

This is a serious question because I cannot think of another reason someone would go to that trouble. You think he is simply unpopular, but unpopular people have not needed multiple IP addresses before.

Cleft Crusty
01-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Why would someone need multiple IP addresses unless they were involved with breaking the established rules of the forum? How can that have been anything other than trolling?

Multiple IPs and multiple accounts should be expressly forbidden and cause for immediate banning.

MJZiggy
01-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Multiple IPs and multiple accounts should be expressly forbidden and cause for immediate banning.

They are. It's one of only two rules we have here.

gbgary
01-10-2012, 06:26 PM
You think he is simply unpopular, but unpopular people have not needed multiple IP addresses before.

right. i'm unpopular and i don't have multiple ips. heck, if you can read this it's because you're one of a handful that don't have me on ignore.

gbgary
01-10-2012, 06:28 PM

if i'd known that i would have chosen a much better pic for the wet t-shirt post i made. dang it!!

Freak Out
01-10-2012, 06:30 PM
What? Tanks not coming to dinner?

gbgary
01-10-2012, 06:32 PM
What? Tanks not coming to dinner?

guess not. tanks anyway.

Joemailman
01-10-2012, 06:33 PM
What do you Badger fans think of Aaron Henry at FS, if he can be had in the 3rd round?

red
01-10-2012, 06:47 PM

wow, way to hijack a thread with more grandstanding bullshit about tank

red
01-10-2012, 06:49 PM
What do you Badger fans think of Aaron Henry at FS, if he can be had in the 3rd round?

i think we all need to keep our fingers crossed that nick can continue playing

Joemailman
01-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Maybe TT goes back to USC and grabs Nick Perry as CMIII's bookend. I think Perry played DE at USC, but at 6-3, 250, he might be better suited at 3-4 OLB in the NFL.

i think we all need to keep our fingers crossed that nick can continue playing

TT don't roll that way.

MadtownPacker
01-10-2012, 07:56 PM
All of you maricones should be banned for letting this thread get off track with anything besides pictures of cuties Clay is gonna partner with. If we had a "Threadies" awards this might win Worst of the Year.

ThunderDan
01-10-2012, 08:00 PM

No, let him go elsewhere!

MJZiggy
01-10-2012, 08:16 PM
All of you maricones should be banned for letting this thread get off track with anything besides pictures of cuties Clay is gonna partner with. If we had a "Threadies" awards this might win Worst of the Year.

There's an idea...

pbmax
01-10-2012, 08:36 PM
QB let slip that Clay has setup housekeeping with someone named Lisa (I think, maybe Tina?), and unless he is a home computer hobbyist in his spare time, I am guess that's a girlfriend.

And I will always remember the phrase "a crappy desk in a shabby office". :)

Bretsky
01-10-2012, 09:04 PM

Perhaps in round 6 but no way in 3

Bretsky
01-10-2012, 09:05 PM
RED RED RED......you are a GLUTTON for punishment. We both know a thread like this can only lead to your disappointment.........aka.........Brooks Reed

Tarlam!
01-10-2012, 09:23 PM

He was being facetious. We've been guessing at Crusty's "real" poster identity for years now.

MJZiggy
01-10-2012, 09:27 PM
He was being facetious. We've been guessing at Crusty's "real" poster identity for years now.

You need to guess?

Tarlam!
01-10-2012, 09:29 PM
You need to guess?

I really do. I have no idea who it is

gbgary
01-10-2012, 09:51 PM
I really do. I have no idea who it is

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/bigear.gif

pbmax
01-10-2012, 09:51 PM
I have actually gotten two PMs asking if it was me :lol:

I assumed they were simply going through the member list and checking them off PM by PM. I don't think I post that cranky. Have gotten a couple of other messages asking if I know who it is. Of course its gex.

Harlan Huckleby
01-10-2012, 10:25 PM
wow, way to hijack a thread with more grandstanding bullshit about tank
Fuck you, read the thread, KY out nowhere took cheap shot with bullshit about tank

Harlan Huckleby
01-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Is this some sort of performance art you are developing or are you studying for your Masters researching online interactions?

First of all, I was responding to KY's trash talk on tank. Why didn't you jump on him we he curiously started in on this?

secondly, i have no opinion on or interest in IP addreseses, multiple identities, or Madtown's decision to ban Tank. I have no opinion on Madtown's recently expressed preference to allow Tank back.

Tarlam!
01-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Fuck you, read the thread, KY out nowhere took cheap shot with bullshit about tank

making new friends one post at a time

Hahahahaah

Joemailman
01-10-2012, 10:38 PM
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/Thread-Hijack/1/Hijack-DeNiro.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
01-10-2012, 10:39 PM
ya Tarlam, responding to false accusations is unfriendly.

Tarlam!
01-10-2012, 10:49 PM
ya Tarlam, responding to false accusations is unfriendly.

Loosen up, Blue dog. When I first read your reply to KY, I had the reply button hit and the threadjack smilie entered along with some smart ass commentary. I thought against it and cancelled, but clearly, Red wasn't the only poster that felt your reply to KY was unwarranted. He was just digging at you. As was I. Normally, you're good to go with a tease.

But the continued animosity the subject creates is evidence enough for me that the decision was/is the correct one.

Harlan Huckleby
01-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Loosen up, Blue dog. When I first read your reply to KY, I had the reply button hit and the threadjack smilie entered along with some smart ass commentary. I thought against it and cancelled, but clearly, Red wasn't the only poster that felt your reply to KY was unwarranted. He was just digging at you. As was I. Normally, you're good to go with a tease.

But the continued animosity the subject creates is evidence enough for me that the decision was/is the correct one.

Don't speak for others. What reply did I make that was unwarranted in your opinion? The pun about sack=bed? KY started the Tank talk with a snarky remark. Are you suggesting that KY was fine, and my responding was inappropriate?

Harlan Huckleby
01-10-2012, 11:12 PM

KY was being a dick. Animosity does not just come from people you disagree with.

The fact that people got worked-up over Tank just shows a high level of intolerance. If you don't like something, make it a crime.

Tarlam!
01-10-2012, 11:55 PM
I think most of the ribbing around here is good natured and meant in fun. I can see how HH'd be offended by KY's second post, but defending Tank to the hilt is unwarranted, at least on this forum and instantly creates a foul mood.

The whole Tank episode has been discussed ad absurdum, yet any mention of that poster leads to unrest and threadjacking. Pathetic really.

smuggler
01-11-2012, 01:35 AM
The best thing we can do to improve the defense is to get effective down linemen. Zombo, So'oto, Walden will be much more effective players if our linemen don't stink up the joint in pass rushing.

gbgary
01-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Loosen up, Blue dog. When I first read your reply to KY, I had the reply button hit and the threadjack smilie entered along with...

threadjack smilie?

Tarlam!
01-11-2012, 07:11 AM
threadjack smilie?

Sure. :jack:

Nowhere near as cool as your willie nillie smilie

pbmax
01-11-2012, 08:04 AM
First of all, I was responding to KY's trash talk on tank. Why didn't you jump on him we he curiously started in on this?

secondly, i have no opinion on or interest in IP addreseses, multiple identities, or Madtown's decision to ban Tank. I have no opinion on Madtown's recently expressed preference to allow Tank back.

I almost never mind a thread going off topic, even for Tank/APB. I do not mind the back and forth at all. But I honestly do not understand your position in this case. We can continue with PMs, but I was not trying to cut off debate. It was a serious question.

pbmax
01-11-2012, 08:06 AM
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/Thread-Hijack/1/Hijack-DeNiro.jpg

Great movie.

I would say the odds are low Thompson goes OLB unless someone drops/falls into trading range. With needs at safety and D line, I think the odds of OLB as the first pick will be less than 30%.

gbgary
01-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Sure. :jack:

Nowhere near as cool as your willie nillie smilie

ok that's an o/s smilie. i looked in our pool and didn't see one. yeah willy is off the corvette board i'm on. they have some good ones...http://forums.corvetteforum.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&editorid=vB_Editor_001

gbgary
01-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Great movie.

what's that from...ronin or that cop movie with pacino?

pbmax
01-11-2012, 12:10 PM
what's that from...ronin or that cop movie with pacino?

The one with Pacino I believe, Heat. The scene after he whacks Waingro (or whatever his name was) in the hotel.

Brandon494
01-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Great movie.

I would say the odds are low Thompson goes OLB unless someone drops/falls into trading range. With needs at safety and D line, I think the odds of OLB as the first pick will be less than 30%.

I wouldn't say less then 30%, he'll pick either a DE, OLB, or SS in no order just depending on BPA.

Tarlam!
01-11-2012, 12:19 PM
ok that's an o/s smilie.

No, it's here. When you post, hit the "Go Advanced" option. Scroll down and you'll see a bunch of smilies on the right of your screen. Below these smilies there is a hyperlink [more]. Click on [more] and enjoy your surprise!

Zool
01-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't say less then 30%, he'll pick either a DE, OLB, or SS in no order just depending on BPA.

Well fuck, I agree with you too. Guess that means we're getting a WR in the 1st. Only TT draft pick I've ever guessed correctly was Hawk. Since that day he's stopped listening to me.

gbgary
01-11-2012, 12:24 PM
No, it's here. When you post, hit the "Go Advanced" option. Scroll down and you'll see a bunch of smilies on the right of your screen. Below these smilies there is a hyperlink [more]. Click on [more] and enjoy your surprise!

know where they're at...just didn't see it. just gotta :shock: my eyes.

mraynrand
01-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Well fuck, I agree with you too. Guess that means we're getting a WR in the 1st. Only TT draft pick I've ever guessed correctly was Hawk. Since that day he's stopped listening to me.

thank the gods

mraynrand
01-11-2012, 12:30 PM
If you don't like something, make it a crime.

sometimes that's good advice

mraynrand
01-11-2012, 12:32 PM
The whole Tank episode has been discussed ad absurdum, yet any mention of that poster leads to unrest and threadjacking. Pathetic really.

he's disruptive, even in absentia!

sharpe1027
01-11-2012, 12:36 PM

Don't beat yourself up. That's partly because it is nearly impossible to predict once you get past the first 10. Too many variables. :)

I can never tell where he is going either. I think he probably doesn't do just BPA. However, he might have a guy or two slotted for a position of need that is not high on everyone else's list, so he waits to pick the kid up until later rounds to get better value. Just a guess. Otherwise they might end up with six tight-ends...err never mind.

Smidgeon
01-11-2012, 03:22 PM

Thanks a lot. ;)