PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Rookie years ever!

Upnorth
01-10-2012, 09:41 AM
I am taking a break agonizing over the packers defensive problems and though why not start another good fight!
So who had the greatest rookie year? Newton's was amazing in so many ways, and he most definatly earned the OROY award this year, but was it the greatest ever?
My money would be on LT's rookie year, not only was he the rookie of the year but also the player of the year.

Who would you say had the greatest rookie year ever and why?

Smidgeon
01-10-2012, 10:20 AM
I saw an article about this a couple weeks ago. I can't remember it, but the author basically said that it's fair to say that Newton's had the greatest rookie QB year, but not the greatest as a rookie. Several running backs were scoring machines as rookies, and like you said, LT was the defensive player of the year.

hoosier
01-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Hard to compare players from different positions, especially in light of the importance of the QB in today's NFL. I don't think other eras have seen one position play such a dominant role. But for argument's sake, here are a couple of examples of rookies who emerged as the best or among the best at their position and even began to redefine their position:

RB: Earl Campbell, with Billy Sims a close second (Campbell was just a runner, Sims was a dual threat).
WR: Randy Moss
DB: Ronnie Lott
DL: Reggie White

ND72
01-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Do you guys remember Randy Moss' rookie year? holy balls that was bad. My senior year of high school, vikings went from good to amazing..but still chokers. :)

Patler
01-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Eric Dickerson should be considered. He had 1800 yards rushing, 52 receptions, and 20 TDs as a rookie.

Cheesehead Craig
01-10-2012, 12:02 PM
I gotta go LT. Like upnorth said, he was the Def POY his rookie season. 9.5 sacks and was a phenominal disruptive force.

red
01-10-2012, 12:29 PM
i'm too young to have remembered LT

but moss's rookie year blew me away

but honestly, cam is playing at the hardest spot to figure out. who was the last rookie qb that even had a good first year?

ND72
01-10-2012, 12:57 PM
I'll give credit to Cam...I really thought he'd be a talented guy, but not to the level he got himself. Interested to see how year 2 goes for him. Last QB to really come in like him is probably Peyton Manning.

mraynrand
01-10-2012, 01:11 PM
who was the last rookie qb that even had a good first year?

Dalton

mraynrand
01-10-2012, 01:15 PM
More recently, Peterson had a pretty good rookie year for an 8-8 Vikings team.

Upnorth
01-10-2012, 01:16 PM
I saw an article about this a couple weeks ago. I can't remember it, but the author basically said that it's fair to say that Newton's had the greatest rookie QB year, but not the greatest as a rookie. Several running backs were scoring machines as rookies, and like you said, LT was the defensive player of the year.

I originally worded it so someone would call me out on LT the RB, but I did mean Taylor.

I did not even think of Randy Moss with definatly the best WR rookie year.

One last though in this post, RED IS YOUNG? Man i thought you were older by the way you post!

mraynrand
01-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Ed Reed

Tarlam!
01-10-2012, 05:39 PM
One last though in this post, RED IS YOUNG? Man i thought you were older by the way you post!

No, Red is old. He's just senile.

sheepshead
01-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Considering its QB on the worst team in football last year, Newton has to get the nod. LT, Barry Sanders, I think Gale Sayers put up some numbers if I remember Brian's Song references correctly.

MJZiggy
01-10-2012, 06:04 PM
I originally worded it so someone would call me out on LT the RB, but I did mean Taylor.

I did not even think of Randy Moss with definatly the best WR rookie year.

Define young...

mraynrand
01-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Define young...

Kind of annoying; bootlicker, good runner
http://www.stamfordplus.com/stm/information/nws1/uploads/1/Steve_Young_headshot.jpg

Has "it"
http://www.atlnightspots.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/vince-young.jpg

MJZiggy
01-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Kind of annoying; bootlicker, good runner
http://www.stamfordplus.com/stm/information/nws1/uploads/1/Steve_Young_headshot.jpg

Has "it"
http://www.atlnightspots.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/vince-young.jpg

Lowercase "Y" there.

gbgary
01-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Dalton

:lol:

Joemailman
01-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Earl Campbell rushed for 1450 yards and 13 TD's as a rookie in 1978.

A personal favorite: In the same year, James Lofton had 818 receiving yards and 6 TD's on a Packer team that had only about 2300 yards and 10 TD passes all year.

red
01-10-2012, 06:54 PM
No, Red is old. He's just senile.

i am senile, i won't deny that

but i'm only 33. and although it feels old, i have been told that, it is in fact, not old

red
01-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Dalton

oh go to hell rand lol

dalton had a good year, like a first year flacco IMO. good but not great. cam's rookie year was borderline great. and just incase someone forgot. i was about the biggest cam hater in the world before the season started

pbmax
01-10-2012, 08:30 PM
i am senile, i won't deny that

but i'm only 33. and although it feels old, i have been told that, it is in fact, not old

I would have guessed 50 and that's not a joke. You should try some meditation or yoga to relax :)

And no, 33 is not old, 45OBOALOO.

As for Dalton and Newton, I do think whatever offensive mojo was working this year probably did not benefit the rookies as much as vets (unless it was just defensive incompetence). However, Newtons TEs and Steve Smith might have given him an edge Dalton did not have. Except for Newton blowing out the curve, Dalton's rookie year would be hailed as one for the ages, rookie-wise.

KYPack
01-10-2012, 08:40 PM
The best NFL rookie QB isn't mentioned anymore. Bob Waterfield is in the NFL HOF. In his rookie year he lead the Rams to the NFL title, was named 1st team all-NFL and tied for the league lead in TD passes. It's stone age ball, 1945, but Waterfield's year and accomplishments have never been surpassed by any rookie NFL QB.

Tarlam!
01-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Waterfield's rookie records are only "dampened" by the fact that it was a war year. Still an incredible achievement.

KYPack
01-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Even tho he's a HOFer, Waterfield isn't mentioned much anymore. He lead the Cleveland Ram's to the title, the next season they moved to LA. Part of the reason for the move was to take advantage of Waterfield's celebrity there. He was a huge college star at UCLA and was married to the actress Jane Russell, who was a top star in Hollywood

Because it was a war year, most NFL teams played both ways. In addition to leading the league in TD passes, Waterfield played D and picked off 6 passes. He had one of the greatest rookie seasons in NFL history.