PDA

View Full Version : Mike Silver Now Playing A Jackass

pbmax
01-11-2012, 11:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_oakland_raiders_hue_jackson_mark_davis_0111 12

Perhaps finding the chance to "pummel" (Silver's words) Reggie McKenzie difficult after the firing of Hue Jackson, Silver has shifted strategies. Silver is now blasting the new owner. McKenzie has made no further moves that can be subject to scrutiny. Its also become apparent that the football public (except Mike Silver) accept that a new GM will want a new coach and that McKenzie is nearly universally considered qualified to do the job.

Based entirely on the twin fanciful concepts from Hue Jackson that failing to give a coach a vote of confidence for another year and failing to include him in the search for a new GM constitute a desire to fire him rather than hire a GM with full authority, Silver has constructed a theory that Mark Davis is going to clean house of anyone who knew that his father Al treated Mark poorly. Treatment that in the mind of Silver shows that Al didn't think much of his son's football acumen.

It has not occurred to Silver that the latter-day Raiders football operation should probably be burned to the ground, tilled and plowed back into the earth and burned again. He was probably too busy texting Gruden (Twitter boast) to realize that the last time the Raiders rose from the dead, he had hired two outsiders, Gruden and Bruce Allen, who helped take his drafted talent to the Super Bowl. Otherwise, its been a cesspool of failure.

In fact, the desire of a newly minted owner to acquire a capable GM rather than attempt the job himself probably is the first sensible act of a Raider front office executive since the hiring of Gruden.

And it certainly has not occurred to Silver that the source of this information is likely a crony of Al's, and that as a leech, fears that his food source is about to disappear. But nevermind that, its the new guy who has the problem, not the leech.

Lurker64
01-11-2012, 11:11 PM
After Jackson got fired the other day, twitter made it quickly apparent that he had *a lot* of friends in the media.

pbmax
01-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I saw some Raider fans, but no one else defending him. Who had his back?

A second point. If Davis truly hired the only person he interviewed, then he made poor call as an executive. How else can you learn about what the profession you are hiring can offer you unless you talk to the people doing it elsewhere?

He should also be fined for violating the Rooney Rule out of stupidity if not prejudice. Though I do wonder if it applies in the case of the previous GM dying? It should.

Smidgeon
01-11-2012, 11:38 PM
In the Bay Area, I have a few diehard Oakland fans. Most of them responded to the firing of Jackson with an "Oh $4!+!". Turns out, they liked what he was doing with their offense. But a good offensive coordinator does not a good head coach make. And McKenzie will find a good head coach. I had to talk a few of them down... :\

Freak Out
01-11-2012, 11:54 PM
One of my best friends is a life long Raider fan and he is absolutely ecstatic about the last weeks changes. He appreciates the legacy of Granny and understands that big changes needed to be made. Hopefully that doesn't include a move to LA.

pbmax
01-12-2012, 12:03 AM
In the Bay Area, I have a few diehard Oakland fans. Most of them responded to the firing of Jackson with an "Oh $4!+!". Turns out, they liked what he was doing with their offense. But a good offensive coordinator does not a good head coach make. And McKenzie will find a good head coach. I had to talk a few of them down... :\

I have read he is highly respected as a play caller as well, but as you say, that is not the main job description.

smuggler
01-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Not really shocked. Jackson was a decent coach but was pissy about not being the GM.