PDA

View Full Version : Possible solution to JSO content dealie

George Cumby
01-14-2012, 10:38 PM
I don't want to waste anyone's time here, but I bought the Packers Insider app for my iPhone and don't seem to have to register for the website or pay for their content.

Tarlam!
01-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Throw it in the garbage, Cumby! ;)

packrulz
01-15-2012, 06:50 AM
How much did the app cost and where did you get it? I've just been going to the Green Bay Press Gazette instead.

pbmax
01-15-2012, 08:04 AM
How much was the app? I suspect the act of purchasing said app probably was the revenue generator in this case.

KalamazooPackerFan
01-15-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't have an "app" but I've been going to the jsonline mobile website without any problems on my blackberry. Most of the stories are there. I actually just sent them an email as I never heard fromthem even though I'm a paid up Insider subscriber. Were we supposed to get a prorated time on PackerEverywhere or something?

George Cumby
01-15-2012, 08:58 AM
How much was the app? I suspect the act of purchasing said app probably was the revenue generator in this case.

3.99 (wotta deal!) I think you are right pb, I'm a made man as far as they are concerned.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/packer-insider-2011/id461867570?mt=8

MadtownPacker
01-15-2012, 09:45 AM
I wonder if it is prorated for the season? Sounds like the $3.99 is only for 2011. If not you got ganked. :lol:

SkinBasket
01-15-2012, 10:31 AM
The solution is not to read that shit. Problem solved.

mraynrand
01-15-2012, 02:22 PM
The solution is not to read that shit. Problem solved.

That's correct. If you like it, pay for it. The App is cheap because most aren't getting their info through the App. If that percentage goes up, so will the subscription for the App. The Urinalscented has to find ways to pay the 'talent.' http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1330887941/Hunt_blog_mug_2_normal.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2012, 02:16 PM
JSO has ended the Insider section. They seeem to be switching over to model like NYtimes where all content is treated the same, and you get to read so many free articles per month.

I think this explains why they haven't bothered sealing-off the insider area so well of late.

mraynrand
01-17-2012, 04:02 PM
It will be interesting to see if the urinal survives. I'm betting they don't have enough interesting content that people to want to pay $5/month for it.

packrulz
01-18-2012, 04:45 AM
It will be interesting to see if the urinal survives. I'm betting they don't have enough interesting content that people to want to pay $5/month for it.
I won't. There are plenty of other sources out there, besides, the season's over.

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2012, 08:09 AM
I won't. There are plenty of other sources out there, besides, the season's over.

$5 per month is not much during football season when you read several articles per day. What happens when both jsonline and packernews.com are charging $5 per month for football content? Then you'll be stuck with packerrats yahoos.

In the old days - about three years ago - I was regularly picking up the Journal-Sentinel at convienence store during football season mostly to read sports stories. That little indulgence was draining me for $25 per month.

mraynrand
01-18-2012, 10:40 AM
$5 per month is not much during football season when you read several articles per day. What happens when both jsonline and packernews.com are charging $5 per month for football content?

I agree that $5/mo isn't that much - if you could selectively purchase during football season. As far as I know, there is no restriction on subscribing and dropping, but I bet they make it really hard to do - long waits on hold, or extensive phone trees with no ability to cancel via internet. Plus, the content isn't just during the season. Draft, free agency, OTAs, etc. are around the calendar. I'd like to get a consistent reportage from a reliable source without having to pay for the whole enchilada. I especially hate the idea of paying for Michael Hunt columns. But the way the internet works, you can get news from all over the country. I don't want to have to pay for subscriptions for multiple newspapers, just to get articles from various sources. I'd prefer a la carte news articles at maybe 5-10 cents/download.