PDA

View Full Version : Post game Chat with Cleft Crusty (Divisional loss to NYG 2012) this is the thread!

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Hi Folks,

Clefty here! Sorry I've been missing much of the season, but some of those coma-inducing drugs have long lifetimes in the bloodstream. If you want to know why the Packers got owned - again - by the Giants, drop Cleft a line. I may not be able to answer your questions, but I can rub salt in the wounds. I might be able to stay conscious for up to two hours, so fire away.

red
01-15-2012, 07:16 PM
cleft, how many beers does it take to remove the sting from this loss

i'm at 27 so far, and it still sucks

and med recomendations?

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 07:18 PM
cleft, how many beers does it take to remove the sting from this loss

i'm at 27 so far, and it still sucks

and med recomendations?

Clefty never drinks to forget losses. Clefty couldn't care less about the Packers. I'm an objective reporter. I would recommend some nebutol, but not too much. I want you to live.

Deputy Nutz
01-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Why did it take so long for a team to figure out how to stop the Packers passing offense? Lots of turnovers by non factor players, Grant, and Kuhn.

How does Thompson go about filling the glearing holes on this team?

hoosier
01-15-2012, 07:21 PM
How do you feel about your team's execution?

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Why did it take so long for a team to figure out how to stop the Packers passing offense? Lots of turnovers by non factor players, Grant, and Kuhn.

How does Thompson go about filling the glearing holes on this team?

Clefty is puzzled by this, so instead of definitive answers, I'll give you some possible reasons:

1) Offenses run on routine, and losing Jennings was a huge disruption to the routine.
2) Two weeks off with key players shifting disrupts timing of an offense. Being on a roll counts. If McCarthy ever doubted that, he now knows what it means
3) The Packer offense stopped itself - as you pointed out with all the errors

Thompson will rebuild using the draft as always

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 07:26 PM

It's not my team. But it surprised Crusty that the defense came out and played a good second half and the offense collapsed.

hoosier
01-15-2012, 07:28 PM
It's not my team. But it surprised Crusty that the defense came out and played a good second half and the offense collapsed.

That was your cue to go all John McKay on us.

red
01-15-2012, 07:30 PM
what was the official total for drops today

i think when i stopped watching we were at 7

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 07:31 PM
That was your cue to go all John McKay on us.

I understand you wanted me to use the line "I'm in favor of it" but Cleft couldn't care less about whether the Packer win or lose. I'm a reporter who gets paid $1.57/hour + tips to cover the Packers and report to you know-nothings. I care more about whether I can dominate my wussie son-in-law in game of pick up basketball. The real question is why fans care about whether some overpaid assholes win or lose. It's a mystery to Clefty.

denverYooper
01-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Reporters get tips?

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 07:33 PM
what was the official total for drops today

i think when i stopped watching we were at 7

I think it was 8. The Giant's third-string D-backs caught balls better than the Green Bay Packers Wide receivers. That's a sign of difference in preparation and intensity. The Packers got totally owned by the Giants and McCarthy was totally outcoached. The one positive sign was that the Packer defense showed up in the second half.

Pugger
01-15-2012, 07:35 PM

I'm all for it. ;-)

MJZiggy
01-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Reporters get tips?

Not based on this performance.

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Not based on this performance.

That really hurts. do you have a question?

PA Pack Fan
01-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Who gets the Farvey choke award?

MJZiggy
01-15-2012, 07:44 PM
That really hurts. do you have a question?

Why, after the defense did so well at the beginning of the game at getting pressure on Manning did the pressure suddenly drop off? I think if they'd screwed the nails a little more, they might have thrown Manning further off his game, yet they backed off after the first few series.

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Who gets the Farvey choke award?

There's a lot of blame to go around. You may not like this, but I attribute the problems on offense mostly to rust. It can be really subtle. The Pass to Jennings that Rodgers missed was one of those miscommunications that happen when guys don't play together for a while. Rodgers to Jennings won the Superbowl last year. Just watch the tape. It's like Manning-Harrison/Wayne. Mess it up, and the whole house of cards falls apart. You'd like it not to be that way, but that's the reality.

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Why, after the defense did so well at the beginning of the game at getting pressure on Manning did the pressure suddenly drop off? I think if they'd screwed the nails a little more, they might have thrown Manning further off his game, yet they backed off after the first few series.

It mostly worked, did it not? Did the Packers really lose because of the defense?

Joemailman
01-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Cleft,

I'm not drunk. Am I allowed to call into the Packers Radio Network postgame show?

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Cleft,

I'm not drunk. Am I allowed to call into the Packers Radio Network postgame show?

It would be much more helpful if you had a few on board. That way you could call for the firing of every coach, the dismissal of Ted Thompson, and the trading/release of the entire team.

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 08:04 PM
There's a little chatter about the possible impact of the loss of Philbin's son on the team. Clefty wonders two things: 1) did it really have an effect? Clefty thinks the injuries, rustiness, as well as being completely out-coached by the Giants defensive coaches determined the outcome; however, things like Philbin's son typically are not remembered when accounts of the game are recalled years later. One wonders whether there was an effect, and if we will ever know the truth.

PA Pack Fan
01-15-2012, 08:08 PM
There's a little chatter about the possible impact of the loss of Philbin's son on the team. Clefty wonders two things: 1) did it really have an effect? Clefty thinks the injuries, rustiness, as well as being completely out-coached by the Giants defensive coaches determined the outcome; however, things like Philbin's son typically are not remembered when accounts of the game are recalled years later. One wonders whether there was an effect, and if we will ever know the truth.
It's a poor excuse, at best.

Fred's Slacks
01-15-2012, 08:12 PM

Prayers are with the Philbin family. I hope they don't feel this had any influence on the outcome of the game. In times like these it reminds us of how insignificant these games really are. It would be very sad if they felt that it was this tradgedy that took away focus and ended the season.

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 08:13 PM

Sure it is. But was it a factor - like perhaps a lot of coaches looking to their future jobs? - and is it possible to ever know? The history is interesting.

Upnorth
01-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Do you really think their our o was out coached? To me 8 drops and 4 fumbles isn't out coaching. It is called not executing ,

MJZiggy
01-15-2012, 08:14 PM
It mostly worked, did it not? Did the Packers really lose because of the defense?

That's what I was saying. It was working, yet they went away from it giving Manning more time in the pocket as the game moved on. I'm not saying they lost because of the defense. Honestly I think it was a whole team loss--I was going to excuse Crosby, but what the hell was that onside kick?

Bretsky
01-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Dear Cleft,

Was the obvious failure on defense due to lack of ability or executation ?

What are the odds of GB finding the equivalent of Brooks Reed in next year's draft ?

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 08:18 PM
That's what I was saying. It was working, yet they went away from it giving Manning more time in the pocket as the game moved on. I'm not saying they lost because of the defense. Honestly I think it was a whole team loss--I was going to excuse Crosby, but what the hell was that onside kick?

the first guy didn't recover. Crosby did everything he was expected to do. Not his fault.

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 08:21 PM
the first guy didn't recover. Crosby did everything he was expected to do. Not his fault.

sorry, that was the second onside

MJZiggy
01-15-2012, 08:25 PM
the first guy didn't recover. Crosby did everything he was expected to do. Not his fault.I was referring to the first. Shouldn't that have popped up and given the kicking team enough time to get under it?

hoosier
01-15-2012, 08:33 PM

Brilliant. I guess that is what they pay you the big bucks for.

KYPack
01-15-2012, 08:40 PM
I was referring to the first. Shouldn't that have popped up and given the kicking team enough time to get under it?
I imagine sombody, let's call him Slocum, spotted a tendency for the guys on the up team of the Giants were wheeling on kickoffs and going deep to block. It didn't work worth shit. A pop kick is also usually a call on an onside. If they were wheeling usually, a pop kick would go right to 'em. Neither would have worked, the Giant up guys could backpeddle and have a shot to field the kick. If it was Slocum's brainstorm, let's hang him in effigy or right outside Ashwaubenon.

HowardRoark
01-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Do you think we should try to have more injuries next year as we won a Super Bowl with all those guys on IR last year? That whole causation/correlation thing?

wpony
01-15-2012, 08:57 PM
I read that mm was running the offense this week in practice all week because of the death I am wondering if this is contributing to the bad showing this week by the offense , I know it didn't cause the drops and don't blame Arod for getting frustrated with all the dropped passes today but the offense seem disjointed all day I still wonder if it is because of the difference in coaching this week?

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Brilliant. I guess that is what they pay you the big bucks for.

I'll answer you and wpony at the same time: I wasn't in the lockerroom during the week, and wasn't in the hearts of the Packer players. My observation is that the effect of something like Philbin's son's lost are unknowable, just as was the loss of Favre's father, regardless of what anyone says.

I don't see you providing any brilliant insight, but who knows, maybe you'll rally.

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Do you think we should try to have more injuries next year as we won a Super Bowl with all those guys on IR last year? That whole causation/correlation thing?

Jeff Gillooly might be available to help you put this strategy into action - after all, it ultimately helped Nancy Kerrigan get a Silver Medal.

wpony
01-15-2012, 09:12 PM
I wasnt blaming the actual death as much as the change in coaching over the last week .

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 09:14 PM
I wasnt blaming the actual death as much as the change in coaching over the last week .

Probably the only thing I can guarantee is that McCarthy won't use this as an excuse, even if meant everything.

wpony
01-15-2012, 09:18 PM
LOL isnt that the truth oh well on to next year and the draft and a long off season thanks for your valuable time :)

Harlan Huckleby
01-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Cleft,

How do you get pressure on QB by rushing 3 fat guys? Didn't seem to work when D dropped into coverage on third and long.

Are 3-4 defensive lineman always so big and slow?

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Cleft,

How do you get pressure on QB by rushing 3 fat guys? Didn't seem to work when D dropped into coverage on third and long.

Are 3-4 defensive lineman always so big and slow?

Mr. Huckleby: Sometimes success follows ability, and sometimes it follows effort and desire. See for example the difference between a motivated Howard Green in the Superbowl last year, and the inactive Green this year. Perhaps the same is true with Raji, Wilson and Wynn this year. Perhaps Raji and co. were more interested in making State Farm commercials than winning another Superbowl.

denverYooper
01-15-2012, 10:08 PM
I just talked to my sister and brother-in-law in Milwaukee. They said a lot of season ticket holders sold their tickets to this game to Giants fans because they figured they would just be able to catch the game next week. What's up with that!?

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 10:10 PM
I just talked to my sister and brother-in-law in Milwaukee. They said a lot of season ticket holders sold their tickets to this game to Giants fans because they figured they would just be able to catch the game next week. What's up with that!?

They can still drive to San Francisco.

esoxx
01-15-2012, 10:14 PM
An estimated 10,000 Giants fans were in the stands today.

denverYooper
01-15-2012, 10:14 PM
They can still drive to San Francisco.

They can stay there, too. And relinquish their tickets.

Joemailman
01-15-2012, 10:15 PM

It was obvious every time Cruz caught a pass that there was a ton of Giants fans there.

denverYooper
01-15-2012, 10:16 PM

You could hear "Cruz" chants on the tube. Horrible.

That's what the Packers fans usually do to other teams...

Bossman641
01-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Cleft, seen any good high school football games lately?

Cleft Crusty
01-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Cleft, seen any good high school football games lately?

Absolutely, Mr. Bossman641. Being displaced in Ohio has it's advantages. Here's a green and gold team with a championship comeback:

http://hssn-media.advance.net/ohiohssports.com/news/514687e6521d220b8aa90f3af78491a3/terrell%20bates.JPG

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/5513959932861940696/st-edward-football-team-rallies-to-defeat-huber-heights-wayne-for-division-i-state-title/

mmmdk
01-15-2012, 10:45 PM

I knew it...you could really hear them too!

mmmdk
01-15-2012, 10:47 PM
I want a dome for our dome team!

wpony
01-15-2012, 10:59 PM
LOL never going to happen no way no how

mmmdk
01-15-2012, 11:00 PM
LOL never going to happen no way no how

I know! :lol:

Gunakor
01-16-2012, 01:07 AM
I read that mm was running the offense this week in practice all week because of the death I am wondering if this is contributing to the bad showing this week by the offense , I know it didn't cause the drops and don't blame Arod for getting frustrated with all the dropped passes today but the offense seem disjointed all day I still wonder if it is because of the difference in coaching this week?

I didn't see anything wrong with the gameplan. Guys were running around wide open all afternoon. There were plays to be made all game long. Green Bay failed to make those plays. But the gameplan looked to be sound. The execution of that gameplan left much to be desired.

woodbuck27
01-16-2012, 06:37 AM
I'm all for it. ;-)

Ohh Dear..that's harsh. Can't we just sentence some of them to the squash courts forever? Maybe bring the hang man in 'only' for the worst offenders? I'm thinking of a certain TE.

woodbuck27
01-16-2012, 06:56 AM

I agree and disagree.

Such a tragedy to a key man in the organization 'the OC' would have a negative impact on the teams initial preperation for this this performance; but where was the recovery and Pro work ethic? Did that unfortunate tragedy have an impact on basic tenants of playing winning football? Not anything we need consider when we saw over the top too much else that was negative.

Our team wasn't in the proper winning attitude state of mind that it needed to overcome adversity. It looked like the players were in some fog...and forgot the meaning of ball protection; knocking down a pass; when to execute an onside kick; how to catch and secure a ball before turning to run upfield; how to relax and execute a pass to a wide open receiver; how to cover an opposition WR and at the same time track the flight of the ball thrown to the vicinity of that WR,; when to play zone Vs Man to man coverage etc.

Our team was handed their collective ass's. I never expected we would see the packers lose by so many points. Two plus scores (17 points) blows me away. We cannot blame this loss all on the 'D'. The team played simply an ugly game.

mmmdk
01-16-2012, 08:05 AM
I didn't see anything wrong with the gameplan. Guys were running around wide open all afternoon. There were plays to be made all game long. Green Bay failed to make those plays. But the gameplan looked to be sound. The execution of that gameplan left much to be desired.

I agree (somewhat) yet the adjustments McCarthy pledged to at halftime interview were never met! The no-huddle O, that is! Also, G-Men took away our deep passing game & the second half adjustments dealt poorly with that as well. No quick routes for those paramount 5 yards were called - we needed that.

Lastly! Dropped passes, turnovers, AR running for his life (and for first down), a few bad passes by AR (on third down) and piss poor pass protction (G-Men could bring pressure with 4 guys all day and hence cover this sh!t out of our stone hand receivers)...were the main culprits. Oh, and where was the D from last season that could beat the Jets 9-0 on the road when our O sputtered? I didn't see it all season, except for game at Atlanta.

pbmax
01-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Zig, I don't think the defense misplayed the 2nd half. They held the Giants to no first downs until the 4th Quarter if joebuck was to be believed and the pressure in this game was as good as it was all season. The 3 man line 3rd and long defense also worked in the 2nd half.

The gave up a Hail Mary which was inexcusable in the first half, a late drive for another TD that really hurt after a failed 4th down attempt that was questionable and got stuck inside their own redzone by a fumble.

The defense needs long term shoring up player-wise, but today the offense needs to apologize to the defense.

Also Brooks Reed is the King of getting someone else's sack. Would be interested to see him in Matthews position and see how he fares.

mmmdk
01-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Zig, I don't think the defense misplayed the 2nd half. They held the Giants to no first downs until the 4th Quarter if joebuck was to be believed and the pressure in this game was as good as it was all season. The 3 man line 3rd and long defense also worked in the 2nd half.

The gave up a Hail Mary which was inexcusable in the first half, a late drive for another TD that really hurt after a failed 4th down attempt that was questionable and got stuck inside their own redzone by a fumble.

The defense needs long term shoring up player-wise, but today the offense needs to apologize to the defense.

Also Brooks Reed is the King of getting someone else's sack. Would be interested to see him in Matthews position and see how he fares.

Half truth about Packers D; G-Men were agressive on Packers D in first 2 Qs (who wouldn't be?) but in 3rd Q they went conservative as hell which aided Packers D. So when Packers O kept chucking their opportunities away, the G-Men O refound their first half swagging and killed the pathetic Packers D.