PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to Free Agency

Brando19
01-15-2012, 08:53 PM
http://nfltraderumors.co/2012-nfl-free-agents/

Here's a list of the top 50 free agents. Oh man how sweet would it be to let Grant walk and sign Matt Forte??? Forte and Jennings are good friends so maybe Jennings could convince him to come to Green Bay.

Brandon494
01-15-2012, 08:55 PM
You really think we are going to sign a top 50 FA? And if we did I sure hope it would be a defensive player instead of spending a ton of money on a RB.

Brando19
01-15-2012, 08:57 PM
You really think we are going to sign a top 50 FA? And if we did I sure hope it would be a defensive player instead of spending a ton of money on a RB.

Do I think we will? No..but it's okay to have something to hope for! ;) I know we need a defensive player to make an impact...but wouldn't it be nice to have an elite running back to take pressure off the passing game???

BZnDallas
01-15-2012, 09:01 PM
what about Laron Landry? with the unfortunate circumstances with Collins, might TT pull the trigger on a bigger name? TT usually waits for the unfortunate circumstance to make a splash... just a thought... then we can look for ROLB and DL in the draft???

Packers4Glory
01-15-2012, 09:25 PM
he won't do anything in FA to make a splash. he'll try and throw as much shit against the wall as possible as cheaply as possible

King Friday
01-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Half those guys won't ever see free agency.

denverYooper
01-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Half those guys won't ever see free agency.

And there's often a reason when they do.

ND72
01-15-2012, 09:40 PM
And there's often a reason when they do.

Anyone else remember ths JSO days when guys would spend WEEKS bitching about TT not throwing money out for a FA?

Bretsky
01-16-2012, 06:11 AM
I forgot what a free agent is

sheepshead
01-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Anyone else remember ths JSO days when guys would spend WEEKS bitching about TT not throwing money out for a FA?

On here too!

Tarlam!
01-16-2012, 07:08 AM

Considering the two teams in the NFCN that got gobsmacked this season are both teams that were very active in FA in recent years, I'd say TT has roster building down to an art. Look at the next best team in the North. Detroit also drafted and developed.

Sure, I'd love to have a guy like Peppers on the field for GB, but there's just as much chance that he might have been Haynsworth. Equally, Mike Neal might have stepped up/not been injured.

I'm glad TT is making the decisions and not any of us living room GMs

Bub
01-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Speaking of FA and cap....didn't we have a decent amount of 2011 cap money left? Since we didn't use any of that to extend our folks, is it gone?

pbmax
01-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Speaking of FA and cap....didn't we have a decent amount of 2011 cap money left? Since we didn't use any of that to extend our folks, is it gone?

Nope, you can now carry it forward without tricking the capologists with fake incentives.

I think Ted might go FA, but not for a safety; for another CB.

woodbuck27
01-16-2012, 08:16 AM

Address that ? to OUR accountant....or ... I was thinking pbmax.

pbmax
01-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Address that ? to OUR accountant....or ... I was thinking pbmax.

Nope, have no numbers for you, even Patler hasn't found good reliable numbers on the new system. Last I read, they had $5 mil or so in cap space but it can all be pushed forward.

Smeefers
01-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Any free agents we pick up will be guys no average football fan has ever heard of. The only time TT grabs a big name is when it's a steal. The only way we get a big name is if they'll take a pay cut to play for a super bowl contender a la Tony Gonzalez going to the Falcons.

pbmax
01-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Any free agents we pick up will be guys no average football fan has ever heard of. The only time TT grabs a big name is when it's a steal. The only way we get a big name is if they'll take a pay cut to play for a super bowl contender a la Tony Gonzalez going to the Falcons.

Not entirely true. Woodson and Pickett weren't cheap even by market standards. Of course, that was 5 years ago ....

Smeefers
01-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Not entirely true. Woodson and Pickett weren't cheap even by market standards. Of course, that was 5 years ago ....

It's tough to point to the exceptions in this instance. Our talent pool is drastically different from what it was back then. TT will build through the draft as he's been doing the past couple years.

pbmax
01-16-2012, 09:08 AM
It's tough to point to the exceptions in this instance. Our talent pool is drastically different from what it was back then. TT will build through the draft as he's been doing the past couple years.

Yes, he is not going to change his baseline plan. But every time someone says he will never do something, he does it. Never sign a FA? Well, Wood and Pickett were pretty important FA signings. Never trade up? Matthews. Never trade down with a stocked roster and no open spots? He trades down. He clearly will do something if the need or opportunity arises and its of value.

I think this team needs a corner and unless its House, I don't think that player is here. He also needs D line/OLB help. Those are all prime positions in the draft and FA. Wolf had a list of positions you had to shore up and the Packers have a need at each one save QB and LT (maybe). In the 4-3 of Shurmur, that pass rushing OLB was a DE.

So I think something might be had there unless both Finley and Wells get signed. Because then he would be up against the cap pretty tight in 2012. Of course, Finley might now be a bargain comparatively.

Smeefers
01-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Yes, he is not going to change his baseline plan. But every time someone says he will never do something, he does it. Never sign a FA? Well, Wood and Pickett were pretty important FA signings. Never trade up? Matthews. Never trade down with a stocked roster and no open spots? He trades down. He clearly will do something if the need or opportunity arises and its of value.

I think this team needs a corner and unless its House, I don't think that player is here. He also needs D line/OLB help. Those are all prime positions in the draft and FA. Wolf had a list of positions you had to shore up and the Packers have a need at each one save QB and LT (maybe). In the 4-3 of Shurmur, that pass rushing OLB was a DE.

So I think something might be had there unless both Finley and Wells get signed. Because then he would be up against the cap pretty tight in 2012. Of course, Finley might now be a bargain comparatively.

I think we're arguing the same point, only saying it differently.

pbmax
01-16-2012, 06:11 PM
I think we're arguing the same point, only saying it differently.

That's what usually happens to me here. :lol:

\grouthink

denverYooper
01-17-2012, 12:13 PM
http://nfltraderumors.co/2012-nfl-free-agents/

Here's a list of the top 50 free agents. Oh man how sweet would it be to let Grant walk and sign Matt Forte??? Forte and Jennings are good friends so maybe Jennings could convince him to come to Green Bay.

New Orleans has a lot of key guys on that list: Brees, Nicks, Colston, Porter, Meachem, Franklin. They've got some decisions to make...

denverYooper
01-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Pro Football Focus has a nice FA tracker: www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/12/2012-free-agent-tracker/

gbgary
01-18-2012, 07:05 PM
5-free-agents-the-green-bay-packers-should-target (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1028593-5-free-agents-the-green-bay-packers-should-target)

Tarlam!
01-18-2012, 10:52 PM
5-free-agents-the-green-bay-packers-should-target (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1028593-5-free-agents-the-green-bay-packers-should-target)

Oh my, what a waste of time that article is.

Rutnstrut
01-18-2012, 11:22 PM
he won't do anything in FA to make a splash. he'll try and throw as much shit against the wall as possible as cheaply as possible

This is absolutely what he will do, any free agent TT goes after will be some no name POS off the street.

denverYooper
01-19-2012, 11:02 AM

Jarett Johnson is sort of intriguing and might be the kind of non-marquis FA that TT might check into.

ND72
01-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Agreed about Johnson. He could be a nice signing, but I don't see him being any more than a Brandon Chillar type. Productive and likely better than what we currently have.

denverYooper
01-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Everyone will forget about FA when Lawrence Guy starts destroying people next year.

Freak Out
01-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Everyone will forget about FA when Lawrence Guy starts destroying people next year.

That would be nice to see.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-20-2012, 07:53 PM
What about Landry? If Collins comes back and you sign Landry you would probably have the two fastest safeties in the league. Maybe we tag Flynn, they tag Landry and we trade both straight up?

Patler
01-20-2012, 08:12 PM
I would be happy with Mario Williams.

Brando19
01-20-2012, 09:30 PM

That would be awesome, but wouldn't we have to pay him UNREAL money? Then we'd do the same for Matthews. Between Mario, Matthews and Hawk...our LB's would break the bank.

woodbuck27
01-21-2012, 07:46 AM

Mais Oui .... considering we're so solid in that aspect of OUR offense.

NOT !

GO Ted Thompson.

denverYooper
01-21-2012, 09:57 AM

Many Packers fans would share your happiness.

I'm curious as to whether you see this as plausible. I see some reasons why it might be but I still don't think it's likely:

1.) They do have some pretty cap heavy vets likely to be moved off the books and they have some space to work with in addition to that.
2.) Other players, particularly on D -- Tramon, Bishop, and Woodson -- have voiced a desire for a pass rusher. Not that I see those players making personnel decisions, but having the team behind bringing in a name and paying them obviously helps with the support of their leaders.
3.) Williams is coming off an injury year, perhaps dropping his price. Really depends on how the rest of the market sets up for him, tho. Chainsaw Dan is not likely to be in the bidding so that might change the field a bit.
4.) Ted has gone away from his base draft and develop at times (Woodson, Pickett) to pick up players he sees are needed
5.) Ted mentioned early in the process that he wouldn't be opposed to picking a big-name FA if he felt the team was a key piece or two away.

Still, boy I have a very hard time seeing this move materialize because the risk/reward might still be too heavy on the risk side.

Patler
01-21-2012, 10:35 AM

I'm curious as to whether you see this as plausible. I see some reasons why it might be but I still don't think it's likely:

1.) They do have some pretty cap heavy vets likely to be moved off the books and they have some space to work with in addition to that.
2.) Other players, particularly on D -- Tramon, Bishop, and Woodson -- have voiced a desire for a pass rusher. Not that I see those players making personnel decisions, but having the team behind bringing in a name and paying them obviously helps with the support of their leaders.
3.) Williams is coming off an injury year, perhaps dropping his price. Really depends on how the rest of the market sets up for him, tho. Chainsaw Dan is not likely to be in the bidding so that might change the field a bit.
4.) Ted has gone away from his base draft and develop at times (Woodson, Pickett) to pick up players he sees are needed
5.) Ted mentioned early in the process that he wouldn't be opposed to picking a big-name FA if he felt the team was a key piece or two away.

Still, boy I have a very hard time seeing this move materialize because the risk/reward might still be too heavy on the risk side.

I put in the category of, "Not a chance in heaven, hell or on earth".

pbmax
01-21-2012, 11:08 AM
I put in the category of, "Not a chance in heaven, hell or on earth".

Its also a bit of Kampman redux. Mario had a major injury last year and he has been hurt and missed games before. In the past year, was moved from DE in a 4-3 to OLB in a 3-4.

He's a risk and he might prefer 4-3 DE if he gets the choice.

Scott Campbell
01-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Keep in mind that any FA pickup this year probably won't be free at all. There will be a direct reduction in the compensatory pick value (from a 3rd or 4th rounder to 7th at best) we receive in return for losing Matt Flynn to FA.

Excerpt from the compensatory pick section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft

"Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks."

In my mind that means we'll either have to go for a really, really good player - or skip FA entirely. And you can probably guess which way Ted is leaning.

Pugger
01-21-2012, 12:45 PM
What kind of compensatory pick could we get for Flynn? Does it depend upon how he performs with his new club?

Scott Campbell
01-21-2012, 01:56 PM
What kind of compensatory pick could we get for Flynn? Does it depend upon how he performs with his new club?

There are a number of factors, but the biggest is his contract. If he gets starter QB money in FA, then we'd probably get a 3rd rounder.

Joemailman
01-21-2012, 02:01 PM
It's a combination of salary, Playing time and post season honors. I think the Packers received a 4th for Kampman. Flynn would have to have a great year for the Packers to get a 3rd.

red
01-21-2012, 04:14 PM
sign fin, tag flynn because miami wants him bad. then make them give up some picks. that pick #42 looks kind of nice

then go OLB, d-line cb, and safety in the first 3 rounds. in any order

if a decent d-lineman free agent is available that could add some better depth, then cool. i like that CJ mosely idea

or there's the idea of moving wood to safety if nick can't come back. then maybe go get another vet CB that doesn't break the bank

Scott Campbell
01-21-2012, 04:54 PM
It's a combination of salary, Playing time and post season honors. I think the Packers received a 4th for Kampman. Flynn would have to have a great year for the Packers to get a 3rd.

I think you're wrong about this. Kampman didn't have a great season - he got hurt and we still got a 4th rounder. Why? Because of the value of Kampman's FA contract.

Flynn would have to get a relatively large contract for us to get a third. And QB's get bigger contracts.

Pugger
01-21-2012, 05:06 PM
sign fin, tag flynn because miami wants him bad. then make them give up some picks. that pick #42 looks kind of nice

then go OLB, d-line cb, and safety in the first 3 rounds. in any order

if a decent d-lineman free agent is available that could add some better depth, then cool. i like that CJ mosely idea

or there's the idea of moving wood to safety if nick can't come back. then maybe go get another vet CB that doesn't break the bank

We are assuming Philbin would want Flynn and he just might. But I still doubt TT is gonna tag Flynn.

digitaldean
01-21-2012, 05:25 PM
I don't see TT tagging Flynn. If the Fins don't get him the Redskins sure could use him.

Besides, if for some unseen reason Flynn doesn't get nabbed, we'd be on the hook for a salary bigger than A-Rod's right now.

Scott Campbell
01-21-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't see TT tagging Flynn. If the Fins don't get him the Redskins sure could use him.

Besides, if for some unseen reason Flynn doesn't get nabbed, we'd be on the hook for a salary bigger than A-Rod's right now.

The Patriots took that gamble, and netted a 2nd rounder for Matt Cassel. But if we do nothing, we'll net a 3rd or 4th rounder anyway - as long as we don't pick somebody up in FA.

It's pretty clear to me where the risk/reward ratio will push Ted.

red
01-21-2012, 06:20 PM
We are assuming Philbin would want Flynn and he just might. But I still doubt TT is gonna tag Flynn.

they do, bad

the rumor is that they wanted him pretty bad even before they landed philbin

there is also some talk that they hired philbin to get flynn

red
01-21-2012, 06:22 PM
The Patriots took that gamble, and netted a 2nd rounder for Matt Cassel. But if we do nothing, we'll net a 3rd or 4th rounder anyway - as long as we don't pick somebody up in FA.

It's pretty clear to me where the risk/reward ratio will push Ted.

we're not getting a third round comp pick for flynn, those are impossible to get

and theres is a massive difference between a high 2nd round pick and a pick at the end of the 4th round

what did we get for kampy? or 4th or 5th? and he was a pro bowler before he left

Scott Campbell
01-21-2012, 06:34 PM
we're not getting a third round comp pick for flynn, those are impossible to get

and theres is a massive difference between a high 2nd round pick and a pick at the end of the 4th round

what did we get for kampy? or 4th or 5th? and he was a pro bowler before he left

We got a 4th rounder Kampman. And he wasn't a pro bowler when he left - he spent much of his final season here on IR. And then he spent much of his first season in Jax on IR. And we still got a 4th rounder because of the value of his FA contract.

Third rounders are not impossible to get. I would expect Flynn to net either a 3rd or a 4th rounder if he gets starting QB money in FA.

red
01-21-2012, 06:39 PM
We got a 4th rounder Kampman. And he wasn't a pro bowler when he left - he spent much of his final season here on IR. And then he spent much of his first season in Jax on IR. And we still got a 4th rounder because of the value of his FA contract.

Third rounders are not impossible to get. I would expect Flynn to net either a 3rd or a 4th rounder if he gets starting QB money in FA.

and if flynn is gonna get starting QB money, then why wouldn't we tag him?

the fact of the matter is that flynn is going to be the 3rd most sought after QB this off season, behind only Luch and Griffin III

and even if we do get a 3rd comp pick for flynn. there's a big difference between pick 42 and a pick at the end of the third round. that would be around pick 100 if i'm not mistaken

Scott Campbell
01-21-2012, 06:47 PM
and if flynn is gonna get starting QB money, then why wouldn't we tag him?

If Ted thinks he absolutely can deal him, I suspect he would tag him. But if he thinks there's even a chance that he might not be able to deal a QB that carry's a 1 year $14.5M QB tag salary, he'll settle for the compensatory pick and call it a day.

IMO.

Joemailman
01-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Trade Flynn and Tom Clements for a 2nd round pick.

denverYooper
01-21-2012, 07:26 PM
they do, bad

the rumor is that they wanted him pretty bad even before they landed philbin

there is also some talk that they hired philbin to get flynn

Trying for the package deal would be a good move by the fish.

mraynrand
01-21-2012, 08:23 PM
I say franchise Flynn and trade him to Miami along with Mike Vrabel for the Dolphins' second round pick (40-41)

Brando19
01-21-2012, 10:07 PM
I'd like to see TT trade Flynn for a player. Maybe Miami's safety or a linebacker from Cleveland.

pittstang5
01-21-2012, 11:19 PM
I'd like to see TT trade Flynn for a player. Maybe Miami's safety or a linebacker from Cleveland.

Cameron Wake for Flynn.......never will happen, but since we're all dreaming, I might as well play too.

smuggler
01-22-2012, 12:20 AM
trade Flynn for a 3-4 DE!

Bretsky
01-22-2012, 01:21 AM
tagging Flynn and getting that to work is a pipe dream IMO
Only way we do that is if TT works out a deal ahead of time

smuggler
01-22-2012, 02:10 AM
It's completely possible, provided there is (more than one) a team willing to give Flynn starter-level money for one or more years. The plus side for Flynn is he gets to leave regardless of if he's tagged or not. The plus side for GB is a 1st or 2nd or whatever, instead of an end of 3rd round pick, plus we get it a year sooner. The plus side for the team that trades for him is they don't have to compete in the open market for Flynn in Free Agency, and there's always the chance that GB follows through and pays him the $15 million, so trading actually lands their fish in 2012.

I kind of expect it not to happen, but there's certainly a chance.

Pugger
01-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Trade Flynn and Tom Clements for a 2nd round pick.

:shock:

Good heavens. Why would you want to get rid of a good coach when you can promote him from within??

Joemailman
01-22-2012, 10:09 AM
:shock:

Good heavens. Why would you want to get rid of a good coach when you can promote him from within??

What I mean is, if Philbin wants Clements as his OC, and Clements wants to leave, make him give us a pick for Flynn instead of getting him for nothing through FA. Ih we don't lose Clements this year, we'll probably lose him next year anyway.

Pugger
01-22-2012, 10:33 AM
If McCarthy wants to keep Clements he isn't going anywhere as long as he is under contract. The only way any of our assistants can leave is if they are offered a HCing job like Philbin.

mraynrand
01-22-2012, 10:51 AM
tagging Flynn and getting that to work is a pipe dream IMO
Only way we do that is if TT works out a deal ahead of time

The Pats worked it with Matt Cassell and got a #34 pick by packaging him With Vrabel.

Brando19
01-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Maybe we could package Flynn and Hawk and get the Dolphins first round pick.

Bretsky
01-22-2012, 11:37 AM
The Pats worked it with Matt Cassell and got a #34 pick by packaging him With Vrabel.

He was proven for a full year

mmmdk
01-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Maybe we could package Flynn and Hawk and get the Dolphins first round pick.

Not a bad idea - I'm all for it!

ThunderDan
01-22-2012, 01:05 PM
He was proven for a full year

Isn't that crazy? You have guys that prove themselves and get traded for less than guys that haven't done anything. I'm thinking of you BF. We gave up a 1 to draft BF and he had done nothing yet.

All it takes is one personnel guy in one organization to covet Flynn, and bing maybe we get something more than we should.

mraynrand
01-22-2012, 01:15 PM
All it takes is one personnel guy in one organization to covet Flynn, and bing maybe we get something more than we should.

exactly. It doesn't matter to me whether Flynn is successful or not, just whether we can swindle some team for the absolute maximum possible. Like Roy Williams from Detroit to Dallas.

Iron Mike
01-22-2012, 01:42 PM
exactly. It doesn't matter to me whether Flynn is successful or not, just whether we can swindle some team for the absolute maximum possible. Like Herschel Walker from Dallas to Minnesota.

Fixed. :)

Patler
01-22-2012, 01:44 PM
In my opinion, there are big differences between the Patriots situation with Cassell/Brady and the Packer with Flynn/Rodgers.

Cassell had a resume that included a full year of work, with the ups and downs of a season, having to playing week after week with the physical beating that includes, adapting to different defenses and game plans, games before hostile crowds, adapting to having your own team injuries, performing with the mental strain and boredom of a long season, etc. Flynn's single starts in two seasons were impressive performances, but say little about how he will handle a full season of work.

I think the bigger factor however is this: The Patriots arguably still had a need for Cassell at the time of the tag and trade. Brady's injury was significant and he had had some severe complications with infections etc. At the time, it was not clear if he would be ready for the season or not, or how his injury might respond once he took the field. Keeping Cassell for a year was not out of the question as a contingency to Brady's recovery. On the other hand, teams this year will know that GB has no interest at all in keeping Flynn for a year at $15 million. Cassell had value to the Patriots beyond that of a backup to a healthy QB, and there was a legitimate feeling that they might be willing to keep him for a while, perhaps into the season. Not much reason for the Packers to do that with Flynn.

jdrats
01-22-2012, 01:53 PM
If McCarthy wants to keep Clements he isn't going anywhere as long as he is under contract. The only way any of our assistants can leave is if they are offered a HCing job like Philbin.

I think a team can hire assistants away from any other team but the move has to be something the NFL considers a promotion. So, if they want Clements as an OC, that would be a promotion, and they are free to do it.

Bretsky
01-22-2012, 02:09 PM
I think a team can hire assistants away from any other team but the move has to be something the NFL considers a promotion. So, if they want Clements as an OC, that would be a promotion, and they are free to do it.

Pretty sure that is not the case. I'm not 100%, but I remember reading Green Bay denied the Chicago Bears permission to interview Tom Clements as an offensive coordinator a few years ago.

Patler
01-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Pretty sure that is not the case. I'm not 100%, but I remember reading Green Bay denied the Chicago Bears permission to interview Tom Clements as an offensive coordinator a few years ago.

Yup, that is exactly what happened. The NFL no longer looks a coordinator jobs differently (which to me makes no sense) but they do for the mostly ceremonial title of "Assistant Head Coach."

The thing to remember is that most assistant coaches sign 2 year contracts. When their contract is up, they can go anywhere they want to. Most will not leave for a lateral position, because the old-boys network could make them pay for that later in their careers. On the other hand, leaving to be a coordinator is more readily accepted by the "network", or so it has been said.

mraynrand
01-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Patler, all you write is true, but one thing you forgot is that if it's Miami, then these guys know each other very well. You could even say it's more like the situation with Rodgers when Favre left - where Stubby and TT knew what they had on hand. Flynn outplayed Rodgers in January, and Philbin loves the guy - how much we don't exactly know. For all we know, he loves him like a son - and not to be cruel or coarse, that could really mean something more than a pure football player trade, given the circumstances. There could be some major intangibles involved - there may be leverages that we don't know about.

One point about the Cassell deal - just because he was potentially more valuable to New England, doesn't make him more valuable to K.C. It might make him more expensive, but K.C. still had to be willing to pay the price. Same with Miami/Flynn. If they like Flynn enough, they'll pay what they think he is worth, unless they take the chance Green Bay will leave him on the curb, and no one will pick him up first.... That's pretty risky if they want him....

falco
01-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Right, but one has to imagine that if we let him go to the curb, he'll have motivation to head to MIA, and MIA might be willing to overspend a bit since they'll have personnel that know him a bit more intimately (as opposed to just watching him start 2 games).

Freak Out
01-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Who from this years Practice Squad makes the roster next season?

gbgary
01-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Who from this years Practice Squad makes the roster next season?

gurley, man!

cheesner
01-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Flynn outplayed Rodgers in January, and Philbin loves the guy - how much we don't exactly know. For all we know, he loves him like a son - and not to be cruel or coarse, that could really mean something more than a pure football player trade, given the circumstances. There could be some major intangibles involved - there may be leverages that we don't know about.

Maybe, the "Sandusky Factor" at play here?

There is no way that Flynn leaves without Packers receiving something in return. A deal is made in the shadows, the tag is placed on Flynn, the trade is announced within a few days of trade 'open season'. Packers will get at least a high #2. I'm sure they will ask for a #1 + more, but I don't know if they will get it.

Smeefers
01-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Yup, that is exactly what happened. The NFL no longer looks a coordinator jobs differently (which to me makes no sense) but they do for the mostly ceremonial title of "Assistant Head Coach."

The thing to remember is that most assistant coaches sign 2 year contracts. When their contract is up, they can go anywhere they want to. Most will not leave for a lateral position, because the old-boys network could make them pay for that later in their careers. On the other hand, leaving to be a coordinator is more readily accepted by the "network", or so it has been said.

I was under the impression that MM said if it was a career advancement, he would let the coordinator go. So it would be an improvement to go from qb coach to OC. I was also under the impression that it was written into contracts that our coordinators couldn't entertain offers from certain teams while under contract, the bears being one of those teams. That could be why he wasn't allowed to go to the bears as an OC but would be allowed to go to the Dolphins.

Smidgeon
01-25-2012, 04:29 PM
I was under the impression that MM said if it was a career advancement, he would let the coordinator go. So it would be an improvement to go from qb coach to OC. I was also under the impression that it was written into contracts that our coordinators couldn't entertain offers from certain teams while under contract, the bears being one of those teams. That could be why he wasn't allowed to go to the bears as an OC but would be allowed to go to the Dolphins.

I actually think the Bears weren't considered for the same reason TT wouldn't trade Favre to the Vikings: the Packers won't do anything to benefit their division rivals.

ThunderDan
01-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Right, but one has to imagine that if we let him go to the curb, he'll have motivation to head to MIA, and MIA might be willing to overspend a bit since they'll have personnel that know him a bit more intimately (as opposed to just watching him start 2 games).

But what if Seattle wants him and is willing to give a 2nd rounder to the Pack. Now as MIA you have to have Henne as your QB next year. Giving up a draft pick to get the guy you want isn't so bad.

woodbuck27
01-26-2012, 07:33 AM
I forgot what a free agent is

To Ted Thompson it's a football 'player'... that's almost $FREE$.

woodbuck27
01-26-2012, 07:39 AM
What about Landry? If Collins comes back and you sign Landry you would probably have the two fastest safeties in the league. Maybe we tag Flynn, they tag Landry and we trade both straight up?

It's magical.......

Scott Campbell
01-26-2012, 07:50 AM
On the other hand, teams this year will know that GB has no interest at all in keeping Flynn for a year at $15 million.

That's true, but once he's tagged and he signs his tender, that line of thinking will be removed.

woodbuck27
01-26-2012, 08:08 AM

"Ted mentioned early in the process that he wouldn't be opposed to picking a big-name FA if he felt the team was a key piece or two away."" denverYopper

Well ...if your correct; we can forget about TT and landing a FA talent this season as our team has certainly more than a coupla needs.

First we have to suffer the `Head Scratchin baloney`.

I can see the excuses now.

Well please.... some time.... as we wre pillaged of all that coaching talent.

Charles Woodson suddenly aged. Didn`t see that happening.

The loss of Nick Collins was crippling. We prayed he`s be fully recovered and back to speed.

We hoped that Chad Clifton would play two more seasons.

We were secure in our stable of RB`s.....and anyway Aaron Rodgers is MM`s Big Show.

Give our young CB`s one more season to get their confidence in a new defensive scheme with a new DC...as we decide if OUR current LBers are just hiding their strengths; really evaluate the loss of Cullen Jenkins and whether or not Neal will get err done up front or enter the `Weight watchers Program`to become a LB (slash) DE pass rushing hybride DEMON.

and Surely there is HOPE for AJ hawk..Ohh what a name...and pray or wait for a new Energy drink to come on the market to give him `the JUICE` we always knew he had when we drafted him.

On and on and on it will go season after season until the rust on the hinges of TT`s office door eliminates any possibiliity he will ever see the sun again.

What was the time between Super Bowl win number three and four, mmmm no sweat; loads of time to ponder it all.

I just really hope and pray that TT gets that sense of urgency we deserve to see and enjoy as PACKER fans.

GO Ted Thompson !

Scott Campbell
01-26-2012, 10:09 AM
:lol:

Woody hates Ted again.

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Who are the available centers available in FA and the draft? To me it sounds like Wells wants to test the market, and he isn't going to give much of a hometown discount to the Packers. He talked about how he grew up wanting to play for the Titans, and they might have use for him. To me that means there's a good chance he's gone.

ND72
01-26-2012, 10:29 AM
something to think on before we really go ass over tea-kettle for a FA...Matthews, Raji, and Rodgers all have pay days coming, as well as Finley and Wells this year. What about others? Jennings?

denverYooper
01-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Rodgers recruiting if Packers enter market: (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/37893/rodgers-recruiting-if-packers-enter-market)

"Green Bay is becoming a more desirable place, I've got to think," Rodgers said. "It's not the same place that Chris Canty refused to take a trip to unless there was a contract in place. … We haven't really been a big free agent team. That being said, I think there's a good possibility that we might go out and get somebody on the defensive side of the ball, or as we've done in the past, use one of our top draft picks to pick maybe an outside rusher or maybe a defensive back."

Sounds like he's going to the Pro Bowl mainly to do some glad handing.

Smidgeon
01-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Rodgers recruiting if Packers enter market: (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/37893/rodgers-recruiting-if-packers-enter-market)

Sounds like he's going to the Pro Bowl mainly to do some glad handing.

I wouldn't say "mainly". I would characterize it more of a "as long as he's there" sort of thing. He's stated before that he considers the pro-bowl an honor and would play if he could.

Scott Campbell
01-26-2012, 02:28 PM
The Flynn situation isn't a first for the Packers. The comparison to the Corey Willimas tag and trade to Cleveland might be as good as the comparison to Matt Cassell.

Brandon494
01-28-2012, 01:23 PM
By Kevin Seifert

We have no evidence that Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson plans to veer from his recent offseason policy of building exclusively through the draft. The last significant veteran free agent the Packers signed was linebacker Brandon Chillar in 2008, and in the past two seasons the Packers have won 29 of 37 games without tapping the quick fixes available in the free agent market.

All the same, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is already laying the groundwork in the event of an exception to that approach. Speaking Wednesday on his ESPN 540 radio show, Rodgers said he plans to spend some time at the Pro Bowl this week talking up the advantages of playing in Green Bay. Rodgers referenced a 2009 episode when defensive lineman Chris Canty turned down a visit and said he is trying to get "in some of these guys' ears about how we got it in Green Bay."

"Green Bay is becoming a more desirable place, I've got to think," Rodgers said. "It's not the same place that Chris Canty refused to take a trip to unless there was a contract in place. … We haven't really been a big free agent team. That being said, I think there's a good possibility that we might go out and get somebody on the defensive side of the ball, or as we've done in the past, use one of our top draft picks to pick maybe an outside rusher or maybe a defensive back."

The Packers certainly have a need for either a pass-rushing defensive end or linebacker. Typically, teams lock up established pass-rushers with long-term contracts before free agency, but the projected $120 million salary cap could flood the market with more credible players than normal. If, for example, the Detroit Lions can't keep defensive end Cliff Avril, you wonder if the Packers would considering him as a 3-4 linebacker. Stay tuned.

mraynrand
01-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Do you like Cliff Avril, B4? I thought the Packers handled him pretty easily, this year at least.

Brandon494
01-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Do you like Cliff Avril, B4? I thought the Packers handled him pretty easily, this year at least.

I think he would be a great fit opposite of Clay Matthews, he had 11 sacks and 6 forced fumbles last season for the Lions. I do believe they will most likely use the franchise tag on him but I like the idea of Rodgers going out and recruiting players to come to GB, hopefully it works.

Pugger
01-29-2012, 08:43 AM
That's true, but once he's tagged and he signs his tender, that line of thinking will be removed.

Flynn is not going to be tagged.

Pugger
01-29-2012, 08:44 AM

He's probably better than anybody we have right now opposite Clay.

gbgary
01-29-2012, 10:29 AM
i'm not Looking ahead to Free Agency. we don't really participate at a level worth thinking about (back ups).

mraynrand
01-29-2012, 10:39 AM
He's probably better than anybody we have right now opposite Clay.

Take out 'probably' and I agree with you. I was mostly wondering if this is where to spend FA money. TT is due for another FA gem, like Pickett or Woodson.

Brando19
01-29-2012, 10:45 AM
i'm not Looking ahead to Free Agency. we don't really participate at a level worth thinking about (back ups).

I tend to agree, but I have a feeling we'll make a splash this year.

Joemailman
01-29-2012, 12:53 PM
If TT signs any free agents this year, it won't be for backups. Packers have depth. They just have 3 positions on defense though where guys who should be backups are starters.

gbgary
01-29-2012, 01:14 PM
If TT signs any free agents this year, it won't be for backups. Packers have depth. They just have 3 positions on defense though where guys who should be backups are starters.

but he won't pay starter price. the only starters he'll go for are ours. we have a bunch of free agents coming up next year that'll be expensive to keep...mainly mr matthews.

Brandon494
01-29-2012, 01:18 PM
but he won't pay starter price. the only starters he'll go for are ours. we have a bunch of free agents coming up next year that'll be expensive to keep...mainly mr matthews.

You also have to factor in the players who will be coming off the books when its time to resign Matthews.

gbgary
01-29-2012, 01:30 PM
You also have to factor in the players who will be coming off the books when its time to resign Matthews.

yeah. forgot to mention Raji with Matthews. look at the names that become fa's at the end of the 2014 season...yikes!!

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/

Brandon494
01-29-2012, 02:13 PM
yeah. forgot to mention Raji with Matthews. look at the names that become fa's at the end of the 2014 season...yikes!!

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/

I think we will have no trouble with the way TT builds thru the draft. Also Driver, Woodson, Clifton, Grant, Pickett, and possibly Collins will be off the books by 2014 who make up 6 of the top ten highest contracts on the team.

Joemailman
01-29-2012, 03:20 PM
I think we will have no trouble with the way TT builds thru the draft. Also Driver, Woodson, Clifton, Grant, Pickett, and possibly Collins will be off the books by 2014 who make up 6 of the top ten highest contracts on the team.

Yep. Those players (not including Grant, who is a free agent) would have a cap hit of 31 million in 2012. TT definitely knows how to handle the cap.

smuggler
01-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Raji won't be that super expensive to keep. Matthews is another matter. No reason we could not keep them both. Remember, the cap does not increase by some set amount each year, but rather is based on revenue. In short, the salary cap next season could very well be $15mil more than this season.

pbmax
01-29-2012, 06:30 PM
No, it won't be. The Cap is now targeted to a certain amount prior to revenues being calculated. There are true ups to match the two if revenues exceed projections, but its not clear how much of an impact they will have. The cap is relatively flat until 2014 when the new TV deals kick in, then they will skyrocket.

Bretsky
01-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Like last year, IMO GB would be wise to trade down to the top of the 2nd round and pick up an extra third. There will still be some oood pass rushers left there, and with the extra third we can pick up another pass rusher, S, CB, or DL.

Patler
01-29-2012, 09:55 PM
The Flynn situation isn't a first for the Packers. The comparison to the Corey Willimas tag and trade to Cleveland might be as good as the comparison to Matt Cassell.

The tag for Williams was $6.3 million, which the Packers would probably have been content to pay him for a year and play him. He was a starter the previous year after all, and a pretty good contributor.

Its a lot different investing $16 million in a guy who won't play (hopefully).

Scott Campbell
01-29-2012, 10:31 PM
The tag for Williams was $6.3 million, which the Packers would probably have been content to pay him for a year and play him. He was a starter the previous year after all, and a pretty good contributor.

I doubt they'd tag him if they thought their was a reasonable chance that they couldn't move him. I think there's a chance that they'd tag him, but I'd put the odds at maybe 25%.

Bretsky
01-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Still think this is a pipe dream for da homers to chat about.........but......I'm sure TT will be putting in calls to a few teams and the agent of Matt Flynn to try to work something out.

pbmax
01-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Actually, I have warmed to the idea slightly, only because there might now be two teams Thompson might trust. The Seahawks and the Dolphins.

I still don't think a Flynn trade happens, but the odds have gotten better.

Pugger
01-30-2012, 09:00 AM

You don't want to pay your backup more than the league's MVP.