PDA

View Full Version : Collins to see doctor in March

Brando19
01-15-2012, 10:17 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/137395803.html

We'll know his future in March. I pray he makes the right decision for him and his family. I sure would love to see Nick playing safety for the Packers next year.

Jimx29
01-16-2012, 12:44 AM
I've posted this before, but I have the same C4/C5 fused disc in my neck, and i don't see how the hell he could ever get cleared for play. It's the same thing that retired Sharpe remember

Tarlam!
01-16-2012, 07:18 AM
I've posted this before, but I have the same C4/C5 fused disc in my neck, and i don't see how the hell he could ever get cleared for play. It's the same thing that retired Sharpe remember

Has there been any breakthrough treament since your OP and Sharpe's injury? In decades past an MCL or ACL was a career ending injury, but no more.

At any rate, Nick's long term health is far more important than anything. He's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier off the field, so I hope his advisors have his safety at the forefront of their thinking. TT and M3 will do the right thing; remember T-Murph, the WR? They didn't let him back, even though, IIRC, he wanted to play.

Joemailman
01-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Has there been any breakthrough treament since your OP and Sharpe's injury? In decades past an MCL or ACL was a career ending injury, but no more.

At any rate, Nick's long term health is far more important than anything. He's not the brightest bulb in the chandelier off the field, so I hope his advisors have his safety at the forefront of their thinking. TT and M3 will do the right thing; remember T-Murph, the WR? They didn't let him back, even though, IIRC, he wanted to play.

Collins seems to understand that if the doctors say no, that will be it. You are right though that if he tries to make a bad decision, the Packers would step in. Even if Collins gets the green light to continue his career, he may have a considerable mental hurdle to overcome.

pbmax
01-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Sharpe had fusion of C1/C2. We debated this for a week after Collins' diagnosis was revealed and we found a Google archived Journal Sentinel article about it. Sharpe's injury was much more rare.

And Brando, no changing avatars until I get over the loss. I'm already as confused as I need to be. :)

woodbuck27
01-16-2012, 07:57 AM
We really missed Nick Collins.

Scott Campbell
01-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Collins seems to understand that if the doctors say no, that will be it. You are right though that if he tries to make a bad decision, the Packers would step in. Even if Collins gets the green light to continue his career, he may have a considerable mental hurdle to overcome.

Sterling tried to come back and the Packers told him no.

Joemailman
01-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Sharpe had fusion of C1/C2. We debated this for a week after Collins' diagnosis was revealed and we found a Google archived Journal Sentinel article about it. Sharpe's injury was much more rare.

Right. Sharpe had to have his surgery just so he could live a normal life. Collins only needed the surgery so he could try to play football again. I believe I remember reading that the procedure Collins had done can sometimes result in a narrowing of the spinal column. If that happens, his career is over. If not, he has a chance to continue his career.

Upnorth
03-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Any new news???

Bossman641
03-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Any new news???

Collins is supposed to find out late next week

http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=7117

Freak Out
03-22-2012, 01:02 PM
What are the Packers going to do if Collins is done?

Upnorth
03-22-2012, 01:32 PM

I don't know about them, but I intend to over react and panic.

Pugger
03-22-2012, 02:10 PM

:lol:

We'll probably have to draft a safety but from what I hear there aren't a lot of good ones in this bunch to pick up in later rounds. I would still prefer TT to address the front 7. If we can improve the pass rush that can help mask any weaknesses in the secondary.

Freak Out
03-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Well..if it comes down to it TT will just have to find another Collins in the draft then.

AtlPackFan
03-22-2012, 04:00 PM

I do that all the time anyway - especially the panic...OK, yes, and the over react.

woodbuck27
03-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Any thoughts on this Safety? O. J. Otogwe !?

Note: O.J. Atogwe is one of 35 free agents who remain unsigned and rated as a TOP 100 FA.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/21/atogwe-leaves-lions-without-a-deal/

Atogwe leaves Lions without a deal

Posted by Evan Silva on March 21, 2012, 9:44 PM EDT

Gunakor
03-22-2012, 05:53 PM
If Collins is done I think Peprah would keep the starting job for 2012, because there isn't a ton of cap space to sign a FA and there aren't a ton of rookies in this draft ready to start on day 1. He may draft an unpolished safety in the middle rounds with the hope that he'd become a future starter. But if Collins can't go I fully expect Peprah to start in 2012.

mmmdk
03-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Hope for the best!

red
03-22-2012, 06:27 PM
If Collins is done I think Peprah would keep the starting job for 2012, because there isn't a ton of cap space to sign a FA and there aren't a ton of rookies in this draft ready to start on day 1. He may draft an unpolished safety in the middle rounds with the hope that he'd become a future starter. But if Collins can't go I fully expect Peprah to start in 2012.

if collins is done i would really want the team to move c-wood back there. peprah sucks, him replacing collins was the biggest problem on defense IMO

this draft does suck hard for safeties, no doubt about that one, so there is no help there

Smidgeon
03-22-2012, 07:14 PM

I'd like to think they kept Dr. Jennings around for a reason and that's because his ceiling is higher than Peprah's. Peprah performed well when he had Collins covering for him. Not so much with Burnett. Don't know what I hope to happen, but I kind of soured on Peprah this year. :\

Gunakor
03-23-2012, 12:57 AM
peprah sucks, him replacing collins was the biggest problem on defense IMO

Disagree with you there. Our defense wasn't exactly stellar the first 3 weeks of the season when Collins was healthy. Nobody whatsoever replacing Jenkins on the line was the biggest problem IMO. Most of the other problems on defense were a result of the main problem, an ineffective pass rush.

Gunakor
03-23-2012, 01:04 AM
I kind of soured on Peprah this year. :\

Not sure there's a better affordable option out there at this time. There isn't a single safety in this year's draft that would be much of an improvement over Peprah. FA's cost money and we don't have a whole lot to spare. They'd be in a better position to address the loss of Collins in the long term next year than they are this year. Which is why I think they simply bite the bullet and go with Pep again for one more season.

SnakeLH2006
03-23-2012, 03:56 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg9uNYwoJ3o

Tarlam can translate.

SnakeLH2006
03-23-2012, 04:13 AM
Then again...losing Collins sux, but nothing can be as bad as Hitler's Packers losing to the Giants and canceling his State Farm Insurance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzh1eknXpDg&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL137EB91849644876

woodbuck27
03-23-2012, 04:57 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/143867096.html

Packers' Nick Collins still in waiting.

By Tyler Dunne (tdunne@journalsentinel.com) of the Journal Sentinel

March 22, 2012

Comment woodbuck27:

** still a week or two away from meeting with the doctor to examine his neck. No specific date set. Nick's upbeat as always.

Nick Collins has been cool but he says as that exam approaches he may get nervous.

"I've been a family man, working out and staying in shape. That's pretty much it." Nick Collins

** Collins wants to let the Packers know about his health status before the NFL Draft.

*** IMO and that of the writer: After Collins went down in Week Two, the Packers' secondary struggled to adjust.

woodbuck27
03-24-2012, 08:09 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1108125-br-nfl-1000-top-32-strong-safeties?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl#page/1

B/R NFL 1,000: A Scout's Guide to Grading Safeties

woodbuck27
03-26-2012, 06:08 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/25/mike-mccarthy-says-packers-will-exercise-caution-on-nick-collins/

Mike McCarthy says Packers will exercise caution on Nick Collins

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 25, 2012, 3:04 PM EDT

https://twitter.com/#!/jasonjwilde

RashanGary
03-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Playing single deep safety was the calling card of the 2010 SB defense. Collins could cover darn near sideline to sideline and nobody could run right past Williams or Shields. One deep safety is a nightmare to cover the deep sideline routes. No safety in the league can get from sideline to sideline, but the Packers showed that getting darn close and having trail defenders who can run like the wind is enough to shrink that window down to the point where a QB has to be perfect to complete that pass. They couldn't lead the WR in because Collins would be there. The couldn't throw short because Sheilds and Williams were picking the short throws off. It had to be right on the money.

And it's not like the Packers just played straight single deep. They rotated the 2nd safety deep after the snap and let Shields and Williams jump routes at times. Woodson was a complete wild card. With the extra box defender, they could send Raji on jet rushes and his gap would be filled with the 8th guy.

I call it 12 man defense and there are a few ways teams can play it. The Packers did it with their secondary.

Getting Collins back is huge for the Packers. HUGE. If we get him back, draft some front 7 help and shore up the role player positions with guys like Hargrove, look the F out. The Packers already have a dominant offense and ST's. If the defense can play well, we're going to steam roll.

Collins is a special player. He's a difference maker and with our Corners and Woodson, he's a special fit for our defense.

Smidgeon
03-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Playing single deep safety was the calling card of the 2010 SB defense. Collins could cover darn near sideline to sideline and nobody could run right past Williams or Shields. One deep safety is a nightmare to cover the deep sideline routes. No safety in the league can get from sideline to sideline, but the Packers showed that getting darn close and having trail defenders who can run like the wind is enough to shrink that window down to the point where a QB has to be perfect to complete that pass. They couldn't lead the WR in because Collins would be there. The couldn't throw short because Sheilds and Williams were picking the short throws off. It had to be right on the money.

And it's not like the Packers just played straight single deep. They rotated the 2nd safety deep after the snap and let Shields and Williams jump routes at times. Woodson was a complete wild card. With the extra box defender, they could send Raji on jet rushes and his gap would be filled with the 8th guy.

I call it 12 man defense and there are a few ways teams can play it. The Packers did it with their secondary.

Getting Collins back is huge for the Packers. HUGE. If we get him back, draft some front 7 help and shore up the role player positions with guys like Hargrove, look the F out. The Packers already have a dominant offense and ST's. If the defense can play well, we're going to steam roll.

Collins is a special player. He's a difference maker and with our Corners and Woodson, he's a special fit for our defense.

Those defensive pieces all fit together precisely, didn't they? Lose one and the puzzle doesn't quite look right.

jklowan
04-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Packers S Collins optimistic about NFL return

Packers FS Nick Collins (neck surgery), "bouncing off the walls" in anticipation of returning to the NFL, is expected to push coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson to play if he's given the green light from doctors later this month.
McCarthy has made it clear that all parties involved must be in agreement for Collins to return to the Packers. According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, not a single cervical fusion has failed among all NFL players to undergo the procedure. After a 20-year study of NFL players, assistant professor of spine surgery at Northwestern University Wellington Hsu downplays the risks and insists Collins can play "at a high level" again. This is most positive outlook we've seen on Collins' football future.

Sounds like good news, fingers crossed, link from Rotoworld.com

red
04-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Packers S Collins optimistic about NFL return

Packers FS Nick Collins (neck surgery), "bouncing off the walls" in anticipation of returning to the NFL, is expected to push coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson to play if he's given the green light from doctors later this month.
McCarthy has made it clear that all parties involved must be in agreement for Collins to return to the Packers. According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, not a single cervical fusion has failed among all NFL players to undergo the procedure. After a 20-year study of NFL players, assistant professor of spine surgery at Northwestern University Wellington Hsu downplays the risks and insists Collins can play "at a high level" again. This is most positive outlook we've seen on Collins' football future.

Sounds like good news, fingers crossed, link from Rotoworld.com

fucking awesome news

sheepshead
04-11-2012, 09:24 AM
That is great news. I cant help but think he wont be the same guy though, possibly. I hope he comes back and plays out his career at a high level. Gotta wonder if he'll play with any apprehension...

Smeefers
04-11-2012, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't expect him back to full form until the playoffs or next year. It's going to take a lot of time for him to go from 75% to 100%. Of course, I'd rather have a 75% Nick Collins than a 100% just about anyone else any day.

KYPack
04-11-2012, 09:50 AM
We had 3 big holes to fill on D.

Getting Nick Nick back would obviously be huge.

He is such a tough football player. I'll never forget his pick against Big Ben in the SB.

Scott Campbell
04-11-2012, 10:09 AM
We had 3 big holes to fill on D.

Getting Nick Nick back would obviously be huge.

He is such a tough football player. I'll never forget his pick against Big Ben in the SB.

I love Nick's play, but Howard Green deserves 90% of the credit for that one.

mraynrand
04-11-2012, 10:25 AM
If Wellington Hsu says it's OK, it must be OK.

http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/2011-articles/blame-biology/japanese-pipe-smoker.jpg

Scott Campbell
04-11-2012, 10:31 AM
This could shake up our draft strategy. In a good way.

Smidgeon
04-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Green gets 90% of the credit for the interception, but Collins gets 100% for the TD.

Smidgeon
04-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Weren't they supposed to find out two weeks ago? :S

Or do you think they already know and are keeping it under wraps as a draft strategy?

Upnorth
04-11-2012, 11:33 AM
This is the best thing I have heard in a along time! (Or at least since yesterday afternoon).

Cheesehead Craig
04-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Boo-yah!!

gbgary
04-11-2012, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't expect him back to full form until the playoffs or next year. It's going to take a lot of time for him to go from 75% to 100%. Of course, I'd rather have a 75% Nick Collins than a 100% just about anyone else any day.

i don't understand your 75% comment. if his fusion was successful (and it was evidently) then he is 100%. just has to get into playing shape again. work out all summer, ota's, and camp and he'll be ready to go.

KYPack
04-11-2012, 04:36 PM

You're the last man back there.

So you get 90% of the blame and 10% of the credit, eh?

Fuckin' bigamist.

Upnorth
04-11-2012, 04:41 PM
don't know if this was already posted, but here is more food for thought.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/collins-hopes-to-return-to-football-after-fusion-surgery-mo4u26m-146925665.html

Fritz
04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg9uNYwoJ3o

Tarlam can translate.

No need for Tarlam on this one. The kid's a huge Vikings fan, and he just watched Brent Favre throw the game-ending interception against the Saints in the NFC championship game.

Guiness
04-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Sounds like he's got a great attitude about coming back. That bodes well for the fear that he might 'hear footsteps' like Ferguson seemed to when he came back.

woodbuck27
04-11-2012, 09:58 PM
don't know if this was already posted, but here is more food for thought.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/collins-hopes-to-return-to-football-after-fusion-surgery-mo4u26m-146925665.html

This is the Quarterback of our 3-4 defense.

Losing this player IMO had a huge impact on how badly our 'D' didn't manage last season. Nick Collins backup couldn't fill the bill needed of the safety in a 3-4 defense. That isn't the 'only' reason our defense was the worst in the NFL. The worst defense I've ever imagined 'a Packer team' would have.

As I prepare my MOCK draft. I'm not considering that we see S Nick Collins back. This 'as it seems to stand' is a huge loss for Ted Thompson to fill. A real concern for Mike McCarthy.

I certainly understand the positions that TT and MM seem to be taking unless 'the Nick Collins side' can bring something dramatic to the table.

We've 'it seems to me' lost a solid Green Bay Packer. That's sad.

GO PACKERS !

Smeefers
04-12-2012, 10:03 AM
He'd be 100% physically, but I don't think he would be playing 100% mentally. I think it takes players who have been injured a long time to trust the body part that's been injured previously to hold up to strain and because of that fear, they don't play at 100%. With a RB who's had a knee surgery, maybe they don't cut as hard or burst into speed as fast. With Collins, maybe his tackling will be suspect, or he won't be putting big hits on guys like he used to until he's completely comfortable with the game again. Am I making myself clear? I feel like I'm dancing around the answer.

smuggler
04-12-2012, 12:03 PM
If anything, he'd probably be a more sound tackler. He'd keep his head up and wrap, like he should have on the play with Jonathan Stewart.

woodbuck27
04-12-2012, 12:09 PM
He'd be 100% physically, but I don't think he would be playing 100% mentally. I think it takes players who have been injured a long time to trust the body part that's been injured previously to hold up to strain and because of that fear, they don't play at 100%. With a RB who's had a knee surgery, maybe they don't cut as hard or burst into speed as fast. With Collins, maybe his tackling will be suspect, or he won't be putting big hits on guys like he used to until he's completely comfortable with the game again. Am I making myself clear? I feel like I'm dancing around the answer.

NO your post is sound.

My question is:

Do you right now see Nick Collins playing another down with the Green Bay Packers?

GO Ted Thompson. GO PACK GO !

Scott Campbell
04-12-2012, 12:09 PM
At least Greg Williams won't be around to target his neck.

Fritz
04-12-2012, 12:14 PM
I have mixed feelings. If the recent research mentioned in the JSO article is correct, the risk is less than we suspect. But if he became paralyzed, I'd feel really awful for wanting to see him come back just so I can feel better about an entertainment corporation.

woodbuck27
04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
I have mixed feelings. If the recent research mentioned in the JSO article is correct, the risk is less than we suspect. But if he became paralyzed, I'd feel really awful for wanting to see him come back just so I can feel better about an entertainment corporation.

Sadly it looks very clear now that:

Nick Collins will NOT be back as a Green Bay Packer.

It's clear where TT and MM stand on this. We lost Nick Collins.

So there's this for OUR consideration as I'm sure Ted Thompson is doing:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-03/nfl-draft-2012-safety-rankings-start-with-elite-prospect-mark-barron

GO TED THOMPSON ! GO Pack GO !

red
04-12-2012, 05:19 PM
i've always thought that a fused neck would be a stronger neck. is that incorrect?

i would think that when 2 vertebrae are attached to each other it would be stronger then two vertebrae with a regular "soft" joint. sure you'll lose some flexibility, but it should be stronger and less prone to injury, no?

Joemailman
04-12-2012, 05:28 PM
i've always thought that a fused neck would be a stronger neck. is that incorrect?

i would think that when 2 vertebrae are attached to each other it would be stronger then two vertebrae with a regular "soft" joint. sure you'll lose some flexibility, but it should be stronger and less prone to injury, no?

Wouldn't lack of flexibility be an issue if you take a strong hit to that area? Don't you need some flexibility to act as a shock absorber?

red
04-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Wouldn't lack of flexibility be an issue if you take a strong hit to that area? Don't you need some flexibility to act as a shock absorber?

i suppose thats true, but its not like the next flexing joint is 2 feet away or anything. the next flex point or shock absorber is only like an inch or two away

Pugger
04-12-2012, 06:14 PM
I will be very disappointed if MM and TT do not let Collins play for us if the doctors clear him. Of course there is a risk for him but I wonder if what some are saying that his neck will be even stronger than it was before? And ALL players take a risk by donning a helmet and trotting out onto the field. It would be a damn shame if Collins is released and he comes back to haunt us playing for another team. :mad:

gbgary
04-12-2012, 08:28 PM
it's the discs. there's one fewer now, to absorb shock, so the remaining ones have to do a little more. the chances are increased a bit that one of the remaining discs will be damaged.

pittstang5
04-13-2012, 08:19 PM
So wasn't Collins supposed to meet with the Packers this week. It's Friday and we've heard nothing.

Joemailman
04-13-2012, 08:52 PM
So wasn't Collins supposed to meet with the Packers this week. It's Friday and we've heard nothing.

I think that was speculation by the press. Nick has said he will let the Packers know prior to the draft, so there should be some word soon.

Smidgeon
04-14-2012, 12:15 AM
I think that was speculation by the press. Nick has said he will let the Packers know prior to the draft, so there should be some word soon.

But not necessarily public word. The Packers may have asked Nick to keep the decision quiet so as to create uncertainty regarding who the Packers would be inclined to draft in two weeks.

gbgary
04-14-2012, 09:47 AM
But not necessarily public word. The Packers may have asked Nick to keep the decision quiet so as to create uncertainty regarding who the Packers would be inclined to draft in two weeks.

good point.