PDA

View Full Version : Single biggest cause of loss

Harlan Huckleby
01-15-2012, 11:08 PM
I think game complexion would have turned completely without dropped passes.

We could have won like in regular season if O rolled

denverYooper
01-15-2012, 11:11 PM
I blame the season ticket holders who sold to Giants fans.

Bossman641
01-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Like in most games, turnovers were the difference

channtheman
01-16-2012, 12:16 AM
The dropped passes had started to kill this offense, starting way back against the Buccaneers at home. Our offense since that game was constantly out of sync especially due to the dropped passes. Almost every game started with Finley being targeted 2-3 times from that point. Almost every game he dropped 1 or 2 of those early passes. That set a negative tone and instead of the other receivers picking up the slack, their play turned south and matched Finley's. Turnovers killed us too, but the drops killed drive after drive, and you could see Rodgers started to play like shit too.

I blame most of it on Finley. I am sick of that piece of shit setting such a negative tone for this offense game after game. After he (finally) catches one pass, he always acts like he just won the fucking Super Bowl. I don't want him back in a Packers jersey.

Gunakor
01-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Rodgers could have been a bit more accurate in the second half. The miss to a wide open Finley and the miss to Jennings on the back corner fade are on the quarterback IMO. That's 14 points plus momentum.

But in the end it's the turnovers that killed us. Most teams don't win after turning the ball over 3 times. And really, it should have been a 4th fumble too.

Jimx29
01-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Rodgers having zero contact play for a full 2 weeks.

Gunakor
01-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Rodgers having zero contact play for a full 2 weeks.

I don't think that was it at all. Remember, the Packers were the team notable for not having any player organized workout sessions during the lockout. And this offense came out on fire starting on the opening drive of the season. If 5 months of inactivity didn't cause excessive rust in August, 3 weeks of inactivity can't really be to blame here IMO.

Pugger
01-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Turnovers were the main culprit for this disaster but dropped passes were a close second. I almost voted "other" => this team just wasn't ready to play this game and this we could lay at the feet of the coaches.

wpony
01-16-2012, 01:33 AM
I still say the biggest difference in the game today was having MM coach the offense all week because of the horrible death to OC Philbin's son he took over the offense all week and it showed we were disjointed our receivers were not on the same page as Arod our line looked confused at times with the playes being called I really think MM is not a good OC at least in a short range position

woodbuck27
01-16-2012, 01:43 AM
Rodgers could have been a bit more accurate in the second half. The miss to a wide open Finley and the miss to Jennings on the back corner fade are on the quarterback IMO. That's 14 points plus momentum.

But in the end it's the turnovers that killed us. Most teams don't win after turning the ball over 3 times. And really, it should have been a 4th fumble too.

Well Packer fans. That was a terrible game to watch. The word that comes to mind is 'UGLY'. I believe that the Packers were beaten right out of the gate. They were again outcoached by Tom Coughlan. They looked better prepared. I do not believe that the Giants had any 'LOSE' in them. Our teams players looked like part of them was somewhere else. They didn't have it on this day. I'll get into specifics later in this post as to what I saw. Not a whole lot to praise. There is something wrong in Packer land folks. I'll ask you all to re-examine the look on Donald Drivers face throughout that game. Why was such an inspirational player of distinction as a Green Bay Packer on the sidelines so damn much?

Why did MM call that ... 'Gee... I want to look really silly onside KO', after the first TD? That was so out to lunch. That couldn't have been too inspirational.

In games where one team loses the TO margin by 'three' the game outcome is 142 to 9 against those teams. The Packer players were numb and out of sync for some reason on this day. They couldn't get into position to make plays on pass's or when the ball was right on the money we saw over the top too many drops. The OL played pretty well, in that game and allowed time for Aaron Rodgers to get it done. Aaron Rodgers missed some throws but overall he played his heart out. He ran for what? Six first downs. For the most part in that game he looked almost on his own page out there and the rest of the cast was somewhere else.

It was so bad in the receiving department that MM even had to stick with our running game. Our running game? Jeeessssh.

Our pass defense sucks so very bad. Our ability to pressure opposing QB's is weak.

In my guts I also felt on this day that what we have been seeing on our team Vs what we know of the Giants could be translated into a very probable Packer loss at home. The bookies were out to lunch at the begining of the week. Giving the Packers a line of 10. It got carved back to about 7.5 as the week progressed with many NFL fans taking that action on the Giants and why not. NY GIANTS PLUS 7.5. Grrreeeeaaat. The GIANTS looked good straight up the way they've been peaking. Eli Manning Vs Aaron Rodgers. An interesting comparison Packer fans. Eli Manning is one cool customer. He's tough too. Their WR's Vs OUR WR's !? Both on a good day very good. On Sunday Jan. 15, 2012. OUR WR's were somewhere else but in that game.

J. Finley. That great Packer TE. Let him go ! Please..... let him go !!

I was so alarmed at what I saw at mid game to sit down and pray. On this day we were simply flat out smoked by a team that wasn't going to leave Lambeau field with a loss. A far better all round football team soundly thumped the Green Bay Packers. The San Francisco 49ers will have their hands full to defeat the Giants next weekend. The NY GIANTS put an end to the Packers suffering.

Seriously Packer fans. Did you expect 'OUR TEAM' to repeat as Super Bowl Champions with the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL? If you did !? I suggest that maybe you re-program your Dreamscape.

Overall our defense is deplorable. OUR secondary coach has to go. I saw way too many fundamentle errors in that game commited by Packer defensive backs that belong on a different team. You cannot expect to pick a QB with the ability of an Eli Manning playing a zone set 'D' and no pressure on the QB.

It's up to our teams GM and coach's to fix that ASAP. I want to add it's high time that Mike McCarthy gets his mug out of the comedy book and into a real playbook ASAP. That onside KO at that stage of the game was one of the most amatuerish plays I've ever seen in BIG GAME Pro sports. I hope he has the decency and common sense to hang his head over that stinko. What a time for a brain fart.

What a sad mess. I feel so bad for Aaron Rodgers. I feel so bad for Donald Driver.

The Green Bay Packers and any serious thoughts that this 2011-12 edition could repeat as Super Bowl Champions.. Reminds me of a movie from the past. That movie was entitled....'They Shoot Horses, Don't They?'.

Super Bowl REPEAT!? From what we've been seeing since about mid season. What was that song by Supertramp? Ohh yea...'DREAMER'. Funny thing Packer fans. Inspite of it all with 4 minutes remaining in that damn game I was still praying.

Next season....GO PACK GO!

Gunakor
01-16-2012, 01:49 AM
I still say the biggest difference in the game today was having MM coach the offense all week because of the horrible death to OC Philbin's son he took over the offense all week and it showed we were disjointed our receivers were not on the same page as Arod our line looked confused at times with the playes being called I really think MM is not a good OC at least in a short range position

I have to disagree, at least in terms of the gameplan MM prepared. Guys were wide open today. There were easy opportunities all over the field today and Green Bay didn't capitalize on them. The mental preparation wasn't there, but I have to think that, on many levels, that falls squarely on the shoulders of the players themselves. MM shouldn't need to motivate anybody for a game like this one. Schematically, he put the Packers in a great position to win. The players lost it. That's my take on it.

wpony
01-16-2012, 03:25 AM
I have to disagree, at least in terms of the gameplan MM prepared. Guys were wide open today. There were easy opportunities all over the field today and Green Bay didn't capitalize on them. The mental preparation wasn't there, but I have to think that, on many levels, that falls squarely on the shoulders of the players themselves. MM shouldn't need to motivate anybody for a game like this one. Schematically, he put the Packers in a great position to win. The players lost it. That's my take on it.

Hey Gunakor your half right about that I would say but you would never see a winning team chage there OC going into a playoff gamejust sometimes 1 little thing diferent can mess with the minds of the athelities now adays its not like when the players ran it them selves now most players would not know what to do if the play was not called in anymore I mean right down to the 2 way radios in there helmets its getting ridcules. So yes I really think the change this week could have made for the terible showing players cutting the wrong way or just doing some of the dumbst things i have seen in along time yes thheye were open at times but the ball had to be thrown before theye were ope4n and was thrown to the wrong place a few times also just looked to much like a preseason game.
The Packers will rebound we will still love them tomorrow starts the healing lets see when does preseason open LOL. have a great one Gunakor

woodbuck27
01-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Hey Gunakor your half right about that I would say but you would never see a winning team chage there OC going into a playoff gamejust sometimes 1 little thing diferent can mess with the minds of the athelities now adays its not like when the players ran it them selves now most players would not know what to do if the play was not called in anymore I mean right down to the 2 way radios in there helmets its getting ridcules. So yes I really think the change this week could have made for the terible showing players cutting the wrong way or just doing some of the dumbst things i have seen in along time yes thheye were open at times but the ball had to be thrown before theye were ope4n and was thrown to the wrong place a few times also just looked to much like a preseason game.
The Packers will rebound we will still love them tomorrow starts the healing lets see when does preseason open LOL. have a great one Gunakor

Great attitude Packer fan. OUR team had to fall this time around. Too many signs they would. So we still had prayer. We still love OUR team.

Gunakor
01-16-2012, 05:20 AM
you would never see a winning team chage there OC going into a playoff game

If this is truly the reason why Green Bay lost yesterday there's no complaint from me whatsoever. McCarthy and the Packers organization got that one 100% right.

woodbuck27
01-16-2012, 05:33 AM
That's not fair. Most playoff teams' OC don't learn of their son drowning in a frozen river the week of the playoff game either. This really isn't a fair statement because, even though the season was on the line, there was something far more important than football Philbin had to attend to. Every other team in the NFL would have handled this situation the same way had it happened to them. And if this is truly the reason why Green Bay lost yesterday there's no complaint from me whatsoever. McCarthy and the Packers organization got that one 100% right.

Yes this is a legitimate factor to consider but there was and there was the potential of so much more to predict failure building and building as OUR season progressed. I mean really. Are there a large percentage of Packer fans that are shocked that in this season's playoffs we were one and out!? How many Packer fans would wager their life that this team WAS A WINNER.... TO GO ALL THE WAY?

GO PACK GO!

Gunakor
01-16-2012, 05:46 AM
How many Packwer fans would wager their life that this team WAS A WINNER....

I wouldn't have bet my life on it, but I was convinced this team was much better than we saw yesterday. And I still am.

Smeefers
01-16-2012, 07:17 AM
I voted for the turn overs, but I think it's a mix of turnovers and drops. If we get half of each, we're in the game. If we don't turn it over and don't drop the ball, we destroy them. Gotta credit the Giants, they got to us.

As for the Phillbin situation, I'm sure it had something to do with us loosing, but I don't think it was the biggest reason we lost. It was just a piece of the puzzle.

mraynrand
01-16-2012, 07:33 AM
I voted 'other.' I wrote in the Gameday thread that the combination of a lot of uncertainty at various positions would really hurt. Clifton, Bulaga, Bishop, Jennings, Starks - even Cobb - all trying to round back in to playing shape. The Packers made their Superbowl run last year in major part on the back of the precision passing game, primarily between Rodgers and Jennings. They also made it with sharp line play. One TD was botched because Rodgers anticipated Jennings going outside and another was botched because Clifton passed Osi to Lang and Lang wasn't ready. Just that little bit of rust in the gears and 11 points were lost.

pbmax
01-16-2012, 07:43 AM

And it wasn't just M3 who had his fingers in the pie. He split Philbin's duties among the O staff. Apparently Edgar got the task of providing the self inflicted wound.

pbmax
01-16-2012, 07:44 AM
I voted 'other.' I wrote in the Gameday thread that the combination of a lot of uncertainty at various positions would really hurt. Clifton, Bulaga, Bishop, Jennings, Starks - even Cobb - all trying to round back in to playing shape. The Packers made their Superbowl run last year in major part on the back of the precision passing game, primarily between Rodgers and Jennings. They also made it with sharp line play. One TD was botched because Rodgers anticipated Jennings going outside and another was botched because Clifton passed Osi to Lang and Lang wasn't ready. Just that little bit of rust in the gears and 11 points were lost.

Your mind is like a well oiled machine today. Unlike the offense yesterday.

woodbuck27
01-16-2012, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't have bet my life on it, but I was convinced this team was much better than we saw yesterday. And I still am.

I'm asking myself. What might have transpired if we get out of the first half down 'three'? That late first half TD was a real stinker and demoralizing. All the secondary had to concentrate on was tracking the ball. Knocking it down instead of playing it like they we're being nice.

GO PACK GO!

woodbuck27
01-16-2012, 07:52 AM
"We fell short," ... "That's the bottom line. Guys just didn't get the job done today." Nick Collins ....

after the Giants defeat of the Packers @ Lambeau Field, Sunday 15 Jan. 2012.

Kiwon
01-16-2012, 08:03 AM
It's a headscratcher. 15-1. Finished the season with a great, come-from-behind win. Bounced back after the loss at KC. Used Week 17 and the Bye to get guys healthy.

Then the wheels come off in a blow-out loss? Wow........what a bummer.

Brandon494
01-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Turnovers were the reason we lost that game with drop passes a close second. I also believe the lost of Philbin's son also had an effect, players didn't seem as fire up as they should have been for a playoff game.

Tarlam!
01-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Turnovers were the reason we lost that game with drop passes a close second. I also believe the lost of Philbin's son also had an effect, players didn't seem as fire up as they should have been for a playoff game.

Make up your mind! On the other thread you say they didn't win, because they are a dome team. :lol:

PA Pack Fan
01-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Desire. Hunger. You gotta want it more than the other team, and clearly we didn't.

mraynrand
01-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Desire. Hunger. You gotta want it more than the other team, and clearly we didn't.

who knows? I tend to agree with you, but we could be totally wrong. You have to play better than the other team to win - and sometimes even that's not enough!

mmmdk
01-16-2012, 01:35 PM

Pretty sharp there. So...Vote mraynrand!

“The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do.” :lol:

th87
01-16-2012, 01:40 PM
In no particular order:

1. Rodgers didn't have a good game at all (by his standards). He just didn't look comfortable the entire game. Looked to scramble as soon as he got in trouble. Launched unnecessary rocket balls. Tried to hit Jennings and Finley with perfect strikes rather than just getting the ball there. That usually has worked for him, but yesterday, he didn't have his stuff.

2. Weren't there mentally. Tons of drops, but a lot of them looked like they'd be good catches had they been held on to. Those fluke fumbles should not have been happening - it wasn't like they were caused by hard hits or anything. Weakened by the long time between games?

3. The crappy pass D. Still, the defense did play better than I thought it would. The hail mary was absurd though. Even so, if the offense plays to its standard, we win. That's a shame.

sharpe1027
01-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Dropped passes and turnovers were about equal since they both needlessly killed drives. Since the dropped passes were largely unforced and more in number, I voted for them.

mmmdk
01-16-2012, 02:26 PM
I wonder why Rodgers had to scramble so much...c'mon! The O-line sucks! Stop being :-o by that fact.

Joemailman
01-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Rodgers initially had time to throw until late in the game. He wasn't finding guys open with regularity. The Giants DB's were much better than I anticipated.

sharpe1027
01-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Does it ever seem like people expect the Packers D to get to the QB nearly every time and for the Packer's line to never let Rodgers get hit? A little perspective people. Manning was probably hit as many times as Rodgers, yet everyone is screaming about how little pressure we got and others are complaining about how poor our O-line was.

Joemailman
01-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Does it ever seem like people expect the Packers D to get to the QB nearly every time and for the Packer's line to never let Rodgers get hit? A little perspective people. Manning was probably hit as many times as Rodgers, yet everyone is screaming about how little pressure we got and others are complaining about how poor our O-line was.

The difference though is that the Giants were able to apply just enough pressure with 4 guys. The Packers had to blitz to get pressure. As a result, Eli had a much easier time finding open receivers than Rodgers did.

sharpe1027
01-16-2012, 03:33 PM
The difference though is that the Giants were able to apply just enough pressure with 4 guys. The Packers had to blitz to get pressure. As a result, Eli had a much easier time finding open receivers than Rodgers did.

True. However, the Giants were supposed to have one of the best pass rushing Dlines in the NFL. Either the Giants were over-hyped or the Packers did a pretty good job.

Also, I think that the Giants did blitz fairly often, and Rodgers had a pretty easy time finding open WRs too. Of course the WRs often dropped the ball or he flat out missed them.

bobblehead
01-16-2012, 03:57 PM
This vote should be 50-0 turnovers. Anyone who thinks anything else was as important as that must have been watching a different game.

sharpe1027
01-16-2012, 04:10 PM
This vote should be 50-0 turnovers. Anyone who thinks anything else was as important as that must have been watching a different game.

In this game, the only difference between the turnovers and the dropped passes was field position. The end result of both was giving the Giants the ball.

Fritz
01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
I vote all of the above. That was the crappiest game they played all year, excepting - maybe - KC.

Dropped passes? Check.

Turnovers? Check.

Lack of pass rush? Check.

What a hugely disappointing game.

mission
01-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Lots of reasons, obviously...

Not stating this is the most important thing but the Philbin situation is unique. We've all lost loved ones; close ones... it always puts into perspective what's important in life. Makes you reflect on what you're doing and if you're making the most of every day. Here you have guys supposed to be getting fired up for war, for the most important day of their year... and, well, it's not life or death when the other team is kind of looking at it like it is. It's not bigger than losing your son. I don't know -- you'd like the 'win one for the gipper' but death is emotionally draining and really makes you think about things you really had no intention of thinking about or things you really had no way of even grasping previously. How could this game be THAT important? You'd like to think it is, but the way the Packers looked -- it wasn't.

mmmdk
01-16-2012, 06:19 PM
No worries people; it's just one loss! We'll get'em next week...it's a best of seven series right?

Pugger
01-16-2012, 07:11 PM

I am convinced this team is better than what we saw last night too. Lousy teams don't go 29-6 over 2 seasons. We laid an egg. The players are not machines. Maybe they'll be more focused when OTAs and mini-camps roll around and 2012 will end up on a happier note.

Pugger
01-16-2012, 07:16 PM

Gee, I thought I saw Eli just stand in the pocket for what seemed like an eternity waiting for his receivers to get open. Of course Eli's guys hung onto the ball...

Pugger
01-16-2012, 07:19 PM
I vote all of the above. That was the crappiest game they played all year, excepting - maybe - KC.

Dropped passes? Check.

Turnovers? Check.

Lack of pass rush? Check.

What a hugely disappointing game.

It was eerily like the KC game. NY had an easier time of it because they are better than KC. We better figure out how to handle this kind of defensive attack this offseason or 2012 is gonna be a long year.

sharpe1027
01-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Gee, I thought I saw Eli just stand in the pocket for what seemed like an eternity waiting for his receivers to get open. Of course Eli's guys hung onto the ball...

It seems like somebody has complained about the O-line every game this season. I'm just trying to say that the O-line was well down the list of problems. Not perfect, but they played well enough for us to win.

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Lack of pass rush ultimately led to Packers' doom (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/a-lowpressure-front-383qsg5-137460468.html)

Silverstein weighs in

denverYooper
01-17-2012, 10:53 AM

The big problem, as it had been all year, was third and long. They had the Giants in bad situations a few times early by getting some pressure and stopping up the run but couldn't get off of the field until after the onside kick. They seemed to wake up for a while after that until the 4th Q, but the D really had a chance to dictate the game early by getting out of some of those situations they had the Giants in. That is where the feeble pass rush really, really hurt and those were many of the frustrating situations where you often saw Eli with way too much time.

denverYooper
01-17-2012, 10:56 AM
It seems like somebody has complained about the O-line every game this season. I'm just trying to say that the O-line was well down the list of problems. Not perfect, but they played well enough for us to win.

If they can re-sign Wells, they're pretty well set at 4 positions and I'd bet Newhouse will improve and serve as an ok LT until they can get Sherrod into the mix. Throw in EDS as a nice backup and that group should be in pretty good shape for at least next year and hopefully multiple years. TJ Lang was a pleasant surprise this year.

mraynrand
01-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Lack of pass rush ultimately led to Packers' doom (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/a-lowpressure-front-383qsg5-137460468.html)

Silverstein weighs in

Can't read this, but the title makes me think he's stupid. The Packers held in the second half. The loss was mostly due to the 'self-destruction' of the offense and maybe that stupid hail mary play.

woodbuck27
01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
It was eerily like the KC game. NY had an easier time of it because they are better than KC. We better figure out how to handle this kind of defensive attack this offseason or 2012 is gonna be a long year.

Just some thoughts on Sundays Game and time leading up to it.

We've all been there. The effect of dealing with a personal tragedy; a shock that is deeply somehow personal. It's like your in some clouded effect or walking a little numb. Not able to concentrate. Thus was IMO the effect on OUR Green Bay Packers in the Giants second consecutive win in the plaoffs at Lambeau Field. I refuse to accept that as the scapegoat reason for the egg we saw Sunday. Was that the most tragic loss in Packer history? Hardly and over the top too much histrionics. We had to be ready for a really tough football team.The New York Giants act like a winning team. A team on the rise and brimming with confidence that they would do it to us again as they did in the 2007 season. Take the wind out of our sails like they did that cold winter day in 2008. They arrived in Green Bay wearing the winner hat. That we have nothing to lose attitude was gone and replaced with 'we will not be denied a win in Lambeau'. A close game never the less but they were going to win. Go on to win the Super Bowl? I like the Giants to get there. Then it's a different adversity to deal with.

This wasn't a tragic loss folks. It should have been anticipated, a real possibility. That loss to the Giants early in 2008 was a bigger shocker. We had it going on back then. Our team looked better overall than this seasons team. I believed in that Packer team and not nearly so much in this seasons team. I was using this game Vs the Giants as a true measuring stick as to what OUR teams real chances were in the NFC Final, 'given', surviving the Giants.

In that 2008 game we had it going on. Everything including the harsh elements working in our favor at Lambeau Field. That was our game to lose. I will always lay that loss on game preperation. Mike McCarthy in a learning curve. Mike McCartrhy made a poor decision to practise indoors when the game day forecast was far colder that 'just' cold. Special Packer fns will say it was 'a Brett Favre pick'. Those sam Packer fans will pin this loss on the OC tragedy. It's so interesting.

Mike McCarthy isn't a great HC as far as in game decisions are concerned; but give him time. He blew that early onside KO call. That was horrible. A loose l 'Mickey Mouse' decision. That was like watching some idiot on his own accord, trying to steal home plate and walking into the tag.

Before this game I was sure what we had to face. That our team would be well rested but possibly come out flat Vs a pumped up Giants team that is extremely well coached and better balanced given our 'D'. All week I had the Giants winning this game. I felt in order for our team to get a 'W'. Alot had to go just right. This Giant team would be difficult to deny. The San Francisco 49ers better be ready and not flying too high after that big win over the Saints. I had the 49ers winning that game. In my mind I had the Giants defeating us again in Lambeau; my heart said PACKERS.

woodbuck27
01-17-2012, 11:47 AM
RANDOM THOUGHTS AND OBSERVATIONS:

Was Mike McCarthy outcoached? The Giants in T. C. have one helluva smart and hard working, experienced and players concerned HC. This fella knows how to deal with men and he had to learn that. It was managed by a decision to lighten up and care about his men.Mike McCarthy is just a different man. Mike McCarthy is genuine. He certainly cares about this ugly defeat that let Packer fans down.

Great but let's get to reality folks. Today he's still in shock. I feel bad for him. Did he believe he had a better team than he did? Didn"t he see his defense and moreso didn"t ted Thompson see it as we did and why did they not do something to fix it? Our team was doomed this season. There was little chance except to win the BIG games in shoot outs that we would repeat as Super Bowl Champions. Out defense was way too soft.

Somehow last season we entered the playoffs as the number 6 seed. The fact of entering the playoffs was well in doubt but we managed to get in inspite of tremendous adversity. We won a playoff game. That instilled some confidence. We saw a Aaron Rodgers led offense fully get that winning confidence. We also had what ...a fifth ranked defense. We won the NFC championship and when we went to the Super Bow. I and every Packer fan certainly believed we would take the Lombardi trophy back to Green Bay. That was OUR Championship. We had the muscle to do it. W had coordination with that muscle.

Was there any of you that still wondered how in the hell did we get there? How could we crawl out of the regular season moreso make the playoff and win the NFC and then come on..the Super Bowl!? What was that really? It blows me away that so many Packer fans could watch this season transpire and actually believe we would repeat. That wasn't in the stars moreso not in the cards Packer fans. We supported a team that had to be beaten and it was over fast as it was meant to be. The better team won last Sunday. The Giants stopped the bleeding.

There's alot wrong with OUR team. It won't be corrected in a season. We are close to better than the Lions but that team is on the rise. They have to learn to win the BIG game. So we are still a playoff contending team. We have a great QB that THINKS WIN EVERY GAME. We have more than adequate WR's; but where were WR's Nelson and Jones on Jan. 15, 2012? Was too much confidence placed in the Rodgers to Jennings combination? This season it's been the Rodgers to Nelson combination and that disappeared in this BIG game. Why was that? The best WR on that day may have played his last game as a Packer. What's wrong with that thought? Donald Driver has a nice 2 $million$ Bonus due next season but from an organization that once offered a certain QB 20 $million$ to retire; that shouldn't be an issue. We still have CAP money remaining from this season.The real issue will be what do you do with young WR's dedicated to breaking into the mix Vs loyalty to a great vet Packer WR who feels that he has plenty left in the tank. A man that's inspirational in the locker room and an awesome all round mentor and inspirational community minded man.

Donald Driver is one of my favourite Green Bay Packers over a five plus decade association with my team as a dedicated fan. I love Donald Driver more that any man that ever wore the Green and Gold. Donald Driver drafted bby the Green Bay Packers and playing his whole career thus far in our team colors. I was right there online as that draft pick (7th Round) was revealed to Packer Nation. I said to myself. He's raw but look at that athleticism. I believed we had a good one that day. Donald Driver is a beauty, he's been awesome!

I'm just now watching that call of the hail Mary pass to A. Nicks as the first half ended. Man did those announcers ever show bias towords the Giants. The Troy and Buck anti Packer show. Shit those two stink. Maybe I imagined that? NFW. (-:

That silly weak defensive play on that ball thrown high to the endzone. A real Hail Mary Pass this time folks. The real deal. Here it comes the real bomb. WOW! That play ever caused my heart to beat a little faster. My heart was in my mouth. That lousy defense of that pass. Did our secondary coach teach it that way? That was so pathetic. As was Bradleys run to set up that pass on the previous play. They let him get downfield in a razzle dazzle run and get out of bounds. WTF were our defenders thinking? That time would go faster all of a sudden? Bradley's ass had to go down on the tundra. So here we go to the kill shot. Maybe our 'D' was thinking that Eli would take a knee. Have some mercy?

Nope surprize!... it's a deep pass. OK no problem. Just track the fricken ball and knock it down without interfereing with the WR. Getting into position isn't standing behind A. Nicks and diddling a hand at the fricken ball. Get that ball or knock it down.

Was that the dagger? Of course not.

We owned the third quarter and put up 'only' 3 points. We still closed that 10 point gap to make it only 7 points down at 20-13 Giants. So we're absolute stinking up the joint. Playing a better team all round certainly to that point, and alive or very much in this game as we open the fourth quarter. Every Packer fan likely still believed in their hearts that we would get that big play; that turn around play. Nope Packer fans it wasn't ever going to happen. We just didn't have anymore left in OUR tank. We had our run and fortunately somehow in that run won a Super Bowl last season and a NFC Championship this season.

I believe alot may be blamed on the loss that OC Philbin suffered. That may well be the TRUTH as to why so many players were not into that game. I need to think about this more over the next few days. The bottom line is that these are Pro's and there to win for the fans.
They must step it up and overcome too much emotion.Win in spite of all adversity. That is exactly what it must take. Too many reasons why that didn't and wasn't going to happen this season. We did NOT have the team to repeat in a realistic sense that was improbable. Not with that defense that could not stand up for four quarters without an outstanding offensive outcome.

It's over and done. Time to go back and do some honest analysis and make those changes we need see made. The pressure falls again to the Packer GM and his coach's and Scout team. Get it done men. Get us back to the Show ASAP please.

FINAL ANALYSIS:

What happened? The Green Bay Packer 'D' is the worst in the NFL. That's unacceptable in terms of realistically gearing up to win a Super Bowl. The Packer offense simply failed again and again in their initial playoff game they went one and out. No real surprize or shock if you've been following OUR team. The bleeding has been going on for way too long and now it's been stopped. Time to find a new team. Time to be reborn - retool. That offense we believed?... could compensate forever for a sucky defense. No way can that be a reality folks in the NFL. Some team will find a way to trump you. That Packer offense went to seed temporarily on that day. That Packer offense placed over that top too much pressure on a weak defense that played as best it could and under an aerial attack has failed time after time. Mike McCarthy has to determine the reason for that failure and Ted Thompson has to react to fix it.

We need help at FS and on the corners. We need an outside linebacker. We need a solid pass rushing DE. We need alot more at LT and we cannot afford to not sign our center who's a FA. Can we afford J. Finley and his penchant to drop the ball and inability to be the blocker he needs be. You cannot coach up those things IMO. Players that drop the ball..have the dropsy's will continue to dropm the ball. ohh on that pass to him wide open just outside the giant goalline. That blown wide open opportunity like the missede pass to Jennings early in the game. Both are on Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers had a couple get away there. He's actually human Packer fans. We're some fortunate to have him as the star of our offense. He's the real deal. I love him. He has potential. (-;

The inevitable became a reality. We lost to a better balanced REAL Championship caliber team. The Giants are more than pretenders and I will be surprized if they do not defeat the 49ers. Every Packer fan might consider pulling for that result. (-:

The Packers will come back. I don't consider it will happen for a few seasons. I still relish the fact that in full sight of the factor of improbability we managed to get to last seasons Super Bowl and that fact took care of itself. We won another Super Bowl. OUR 13th Super Bowl and wasn"t that something else. I've certainly enjoyed that result this season. How did we manage that in a season of over the top to much adversity. Something like 20 startes injured seriously. That just couldn't be. The reason ot was was the players stepped up and were accountable and believing in one another as a team. They all knew that had a great QB leading them. That with Aaron Rodgers they could overcome.

This season. That 2011-12 Packer 'NO' defense. Forget it. WE getr what we had to get. Badly beaten up! Come on Ted Thompson. Wake up !

GO PACKERS !

Pugger
01-17-2012, 11:56 AM
The big problem, as it had been all year, was third and long. They had the Giants in bad situations a few times early by getting some pressure and stopping up the run but couldn't get off of the field until after the onside kick. They seemed to wake up for a while after that until the 4th Q, but the D really had a chance to dictate the game early by getting out of some of those situations they had the Giants in. That is where the feeble pass rush really, really hurt and those were many of the frustrating situations where you often saw Eli with way too much time.

this

woodbuck27
01-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Wanna know why we lost:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012011501/2011/POST19/giants@packers#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Now we need our GM to get it back on track. He has a load of work to do. That should have been his primary focus certainly as we began to see the slide at mid season. Why? Did Ted Thompson ignore the obvious. OUR terrible defense. We saw happen what had to happen eventually in the playoffs. We went one and out and lost to a better team. Our 'D' was faced with an opposition QB that knows what it takes to get his team the 'W'. We were faced with dealing with an opposition team's HC that knows how to prepare his team to defeat the defending Super Bowl champ.

As Packer fans we should not be in shock. The writing was clearly on the wall.

Now that run is over. It's so tough to repeat as Super Bowl champs. We need to reload...see our GM's primary focus placed on fixing OUR team.

GO Ted Thompson.

woodbuck27
01-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Doesn't this video remind you a little of us last season. Overcoming adversity and the season on the line and sneaking into the playoffs and building one win at a time to something special. The New York Giants are what we were last season. They had to fight hard to get into the playoffs and ended the regular season at 9-7. Looking down and out as we did last season after the Lion game. The Giants get it back and together. They soundly defeat the limping Cowboys in week 17 and thump the very decent Atlanta Falcons on Wild Card Sunday.

Hello for a return to Lambeau Field and a rematch to recall that cold cold NFC Championship game Vs a very tough Green Bay Packer team ( 2007 Season). This time the prospects of a win looked no better in one sense that we had such a scary offense but they had the more complete team:

The whole picture in Video.......

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012011501/2011/POST19/giants@packers#menu=highlights&tab=recap

They made OUR team the very first Super Bowl Championship team to go one and out the following season in the playoffs.

Will the New York Giants become the very first regular season 'nine win' team to win the Super Bowl?

How long will it take for the GREEN BAY PACKERS to return to the SHOW?

GO PACKERS!

ThunderDan
01-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Wanna know why we lost:

Now we need our GM to get it back on track. He has a load of work to do. That should have been his primary focus certainly as we began to see the slide at mid season. Why? Did Ted Thompson ignore the obvious. OUR terrible defense. We saw happen what had to happen eventually in the playoffs. We went one and out and lost to a better team. Our 'D' was faced with an opposition QB that knows what it takes to get his team the 'W'. We were faced with dealing with an opposition team's HC that knows how to prepare his team to defeat the defending Super Bowl champ.

As Packer fans we should not be in shock. The writing was clearly on the wall.

Now that run is over. It's so tough to repeat as Super Bowl champs. We need to reload...see our GM's primary focus placed on fixing OUR team.

GO Ted Thompson.

You do know after week 5 you can only imnprove by picking up street FAs or a player from the waiver wire?

swede
01-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Lots of reasons, obviously...

Not stating this is the most important thing but the Philbin situation is unique. We've all lost loved ones; close ones... it always puts into perspective what's important in life. Makes you reflect on what you're doing and if you're making the most of every day. Here you have guys supposed to be getting fired up for war, for the most important day of their year... and, well, it's not life or death when the other team is kind of looking at it like it is. It's not bigger than losing your son. I don't know -- you'd like the 'win one for the gipper' but death is emotionally draining and really makes you think about things you really had no intention of thinking about or things you really had no way of even grasping previously. How could this game be THAT important? You'd like to think it is, but the way the Packers looked -- it wasn't.

Well put. Those feelings are in my heart as well.

Many reasons: three weeks off for some of the injured/invaluable starters may have hurt more than it helped; the unavoidable tragedy of grieving; legitimate weaknesses at safety, OLB, and DE...

Next year we will be quite good again. Hope springs a turtle.

mraynrand
01-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Hope springs a turtle.

http://storyfanatic.com/images/2007/05/yertleangry.jpg

woodbuck27
01-17-2012, 04:06 PM
You do know after week 5 you can only imnprove by picking up street FAs or a player from the waiver wire?

Ever hear of the word TRADE?

Bossman641
01-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Ever hear of the word TRADE?

WB, that is what Dan was talking about. The NFL trade deadline is the Tuesday after week 6.

sharpe1027
01-17-2012, 05:44 PM
This isn't the NBA. Very few player trades happen during the season. It takes two to tango.

pbmax
01-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Ouch.

LEWCWA
01-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Football can be a fickle game as we all found out sunday. 3 plays come to mind that would have really changed the outcome. Rodgers missed Jennings on an easy touchdown, Rodgers missed Finely on what could have been a TD and Bradshaws run through our secondary to setup the hail mary......had those plays been made sunday GB is probably playing next week....This team let it snowball. Rodgers surely didn't lose this game for GB, but he didn't put the team on his shoulders either! I guess we found out he is human......

Bretsky
01-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Everybody kept trying to mask how crappy this defense with the the turnovers
Put us in the playoffs now facing the best teams with the better offenses
Our defense isn't going to get as many
and The offense couldn't continue to bail out our defense against high quality competition

With that being said, the turnover differential was the biggest difference.

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2012, 07:58 AM

Silverstein weighs in

Tom Oates also ID'd lack of pass rush as the fatal flaw:
http://host.madison.com/sports/columnists/tom_oates/tom-oates-poor-pass-defense-key-to-packers-collapse/article_81dec9e6-3f45-11e1-b794-001871e3ce6c.html

sharpe1027
01-18-2012, 09:44 AM
It was a comedy of self-inflicted errors that was out of character when compared to the rest of the season. Shit happens, but I believe that that Packers are still the better team. The Giants didn't beat the Packers as much as Packers beat themselves. If they replayed the giants game I bet that we would beat them 7 out of 10 times.

Congrats to the Giants. I'll still take the Packer's current roster and front office any day of the week.

bobblehead
01-18-2012, 09:50 AM
In this game, the only difference between the turnovers and the dropped passes was field position. The end result of both was giving the Giants the ball.

So one was clearly worse that the other right?

sharpe1027
01-18-2012, 09:58 AM
So one was clearly worse that the other right?

One was clearly more numerous than the other. The other was clearly worse per incident. The total effect was pretty close, but it's just a subjective opinion that two intelligent people can disagree on.

mraynrand
01-18-2012, 09:59 AM

maybe he didn't watch the game either

mraynrand
01-18-2012, 10:00 AM
One was clearly more numerous than the other. The other was clearly worse per incident. The total effect was pretty close, but it's just a subjective opinion that two intelligent people can disagree on.

Well, if someday we find two intelligent people on Packerrats, maybe then we can have disagreement.

Cheesehead Craig
01-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Well, if someday we find two intelligent people on Packerrats, maybe then we can have disagreement.

No we won't

sharpe1027
01-18-2012, 10:33 AM

Unintelligent can also disagree. I did raise it only as a hypothetical: two people can disagree on. I make no representation as to the likelihood of the hypothetical.

mraynrand
01-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Unintelligent can also disagree. I did raise it only as a hypothetical: two people can disagree on. I make no representation as to the likelihood of the hypothetical.

I was just trying to be humorous.

http://www.commonsensejunction.com/pics-09/obamacare-torron-eeles2.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I believe that that Packers are still the better team. The Giants didn't beat the Packers as much as Packers beat themselves. If they replayed the giants game I bet that we would beat them 7 out of 10 times.

This is sore loser stuff. When healthy, the teams are closely matched, as we saw in both the regular season and playoff game. You can't just ignore the Packers crappy defense in a close competition.

denverYooper
01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm surprised no one's posted the video of that drunk broad crying over the loss.

sharpe1027
01-18-2012, 11:09 AM
This is sore loser stuff. When healthy, the teams are closely matched, as we saw in both the regular season and playoff game. You can't just ignore the Packers crappy defense in a close competition.

I did not "just ignore the Packer's crappy defense." That's just your strawman. Is it impossible watch a game and believe that the better team lost?

I thought the Packers have shown themselves to be the better team before the game and nothing I saw in the game changed my mind. The Packers stayed in the game right up to the end with their crappy defense despite having about as many unforced errors as they had through 16 regular season games combined (that is an intentional exaggeration for emphasis). Whatever the reason for what happened on Sunday, it was mostly self-inflicted.

Maybe I am a sore loser. I still think the Packers have a better team. Again, congrats to the Giants.

sharpe1027
01-18-2012, 11:12 AM
I was just trying to be humorous.

My response was perhaps too dry in its attempt at the same. I fail at Internet communication 101.

Bossman641
01-18-2012, 11:43 AM
http://host.madison.com/sports/columnists/tom_oates/tom-oates-poor-pass-defense-key-to-packers-collapse/article_81dec9e6-3f45-11e1-b794-001871e3ce6c.html

I can't say I disagree, but I actually thought that was the best the DL had looked in a few weeks. That speaks more to how bad they had been the second half of the year in general.

It's amazing how big the difference between 2 competent pass rushers and 3 competent rushers is.

I think the whole domestic violence thing really messed Walden up. He was never great but he had a stretch (Tampa/Det/NYG) where I was beginning to think he was taking his game up a level. After that he completely fell off the cliff.

denverYooper
01-18-2012, 11:44 AM
maybe he didn't watch the game either

It's funny that every outlet came out with the "lack of pass rush article" when Tramon, Bishop, and Wood made their postseason comments. Every article was pretty much the same, too, built off 3 quotes from those guys. How come no one says they're throwing the other guys in the front 7 under the bus?

ND72
01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm surprised no one's posted the video of that drunk broad crying over the loss.

yeah, just realized she's a friend of mine...weird, we were talking about the video, no clue it was her, then I saw the name below this morning...anyway...

Here's my "thoughts" on the game, and they are simple:

Offense: Live by the pass, die by the pass
Defense: Live by the turnover, die by the non-turnover

mraynrand
01-18-2012, 11:48 AM
It's funny that every outlet came out with the "lack of pass rush article" when Tramon, Bishop, and Wood made their postseason comments. Every article was pretty much the same, too, built off 3 quotes from those guys. How come no one says they're throwing the other guys in the front 7 under the bus?

Perhaps that was a problem on defense, but it didn't seal the game for the Giants. The offense's myriad mistakes cost the Packers the game.

mraynrand
01-18-2012, 11:50 AM

It was close because they're normally very good offense was crappy. Their defense has been consistently mediocre all year, and they played pretty much up to expectations.

mraynrand
01-18-2012, 11:57 AM
yeah, just realized she's a friend of mine...weird, we were talking about the video, no clue it was her, then I saw the name below this morning...anyway...

Those are nice bromides, but they don't match the reality of the game. GB ran for 147 yards to the Giant's 95. The Packers surrendered 4 turnovers, so they would have needed twice their normal average to match their season TO differential. They died by the turnover/mistakes on offense and got beat by an offense that lived by the pass.

Bossman641
01-18-2012, 11:57 AM

I saw the video. Was it for real? It looked like fake crying to me.

mraynrand
01-18-2012, 12:04 PM

Another point about this. You can't blame the pass rush for the crappy tackling on the 66 yard Nicks TD, the inability to keep a runner inbounds on an across the field play, and the inability to defend a hail mary. The crappiness of the secondary and LBs was totally exposed on those three critical plays.

denverYooper
01-18-2012, 12:05 PM
It was close because they're normally very good offense was crappy. Their defense has been consistently mediocre all year, and they played pretty much up to expectations.

I really thought the game would turn when Bishop popped Eli and made him throw that Pick to Burnett but then the stellar offense fumbled the ball back to New York in FG range.

ND72
01-18-2012, 12:47 PM
I saw the video. Was it for real? It looked like fake crying to me.

Miller products tend to affect ones actions.

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2012, 01:19 PM
I can't say I disagree, but I actually thought that was the best the DL had looked in a few weeks. That speaks more to how bad they had been the second half of the year in general. I somewhat mischaracterized Oates' opinion, he said the pass defense in general was the achillies heel, and he did kick the D line in the nuts as part of harangue. D-line was OK against the run. What happened to "pro bowler" B.J. Raji this season?

denverYooper
01-18-2012, 02:20 PM
I somewhat mischaracterized Oates' opinion, he said the pass defense in general was the achillies heel, and he did kick the D line in the nuts as part of harangue. D-line was OK against the run. What happened to "pro bowler" B.J. Raji this season?

Maybe he rediscovered his love for the chronic.

denverYooper
01-18-2012, 02:24 PM
I thought the rotation at LT ended up being a poor idea and probably didn't help the offense, although it had nothing to do with the drops and fumbles.

LEWCWA
01-18-2012, 03:04 PM
After a few days, I really think this offense was hurt by the distractions with Joe's son dieing. They played like a unit that wasn't prepared and had other things on their minds. basically the whole week of preparation was off and it showed on sunday. dropped passes, missed passes, fumbles are all lack of focus.

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2012, 07:30 PM
I thought the rotation at LT ended up being a poor idea and probably didn't help the offense, although it had nothing to do with the drops and fumbles.

They sure invested a lot of time and energy to get Clifton back on the field. No payoff. It was expecting a lot for Clifton to come back and be in playing form after 10 weeks of rehab. Clifton should retire.

mraynrand
01-18-2012, 09:12 PM

The inability of Clifton to hand off Osi off to Lang led to the Rodger's fumble. They weren't beaten physically on that play; that was a mental error possibly due to the lack of playing together.

Tarlam!
01-18-2012, 10:25 PM
They sure invested a lot of time and energy to get Clifton back on the field. No payoff. It was expecting a lot for Clifton to come back and be in playing form after 10 weeks of rehab. Clifton should retire.

I wonder if he will retire. He works so hard to come back, injures his back(?) immediately before his return and has to work some more. Then he makes it back and gets done like a turkey dinner. Is that the way he wants to end an otherwise illustrious career?

denverYooper
01-19-2012, 09:30 AM
The inability of Clifton to hand off Osi off to Lang led to the Rodger's fumble. They weren't beaten physically on that play; that was a mental error possibly due to the lack of playing together.

That's right, of course. I had that exact play in mind when I wrote the statement but then somehow used the existential negative.

I thought the most continuous line going through the year was Newhouse/Lang/Wells/Sitton/Bulaga and that's what they should have rolled with because it had been a part of a great offense this year. I've been a Clifton guy but I'm not sure a rusty Clifton was a better choice than a healthy Newhouse, especially since Cliffy usually needs a few games to get going. In the end, it ended up being another variable in an equation that was already complicated enough by the events of the previous 2 weeks.

denverYooper
01-19-2012, 10:02 AM
That's right, of course. I had that exact play in mind when I wrote the statement but then somehow used the existential negative.

I thought the most continuous line going through the year was Newhouse/Lang/Wells/Sitton/Bulaga and that's what they should have rolled with because it had been a part of a great offense this year. I've been a Clifton guy but I'm not sure a rusty Clifton was a better choice than a healthy Newhouse, especially since Cliffy usually needs a few games to get going. In the end, it ended up being another variable in an equation that was already complicated enough by the events of the previous 2 weeks.

On the other side of the coin, if all else doesn't go blotto and they get out of there, Cliffy's got some work in to get ready for the 9ers front. That played into their decision, no doubt.

hoosier
01-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Single biggest cause of loss: poor circulation. Oh wait, that is hair loss.

Tarlam!
01-28-2012, 12:32 AM
I called this. It was the Hail Mary. http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Aaron-Rodgers-talks-TD-celebrations/7914a44d-f948-42ae-b092-18a973f36b4d#?id=fdb8836f-7437-4445-bd46-60386c742d1e

mraynrand
01-28-2012, 01:26 AM
Single biggest cause of loss: poor circulation. Oh wait, that is hair loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzXUmbU58ME