PDA

View Full Version : Is Woodson Coming Back?

pbmax
01-16-2012, 06:34 PM
He is due a $4 million bonus sometime in the first month of the new league year (March). He will collect $11 million in compensation for 2012.

Freak Out
01-16-2012, 06:42 PM
I'd say no.

Pugger
01-16-2012, 06:45 PM
I say yes, if only for his leadership!

Brando19
01-16-2012, 07:17 PM
No WAY does TT let Woodson walk...no way in hell.

MadtownPacker
01-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Thinking a restructure might be in order. TT took a chance on Woodson when pretty much no one else wanted to and Chuck was blessed with a career resurrection and a SB victory. Nothing really left for him to do so why bounce around the league when he can stay put and have it good. This is a good relationship for both sides that should continue.

hoosier
01-16-2012, 07:31 PM
I don't see his replacement on the roster, and I do see a lot of youngish talent. Young talent has benefitted from watching his routine before, and whatever skills he may have lost in the last couple of years, he can still be a great mentor and example for younger guys like House, Shields, Burnett and whoever they draft this spring.

gbgary
01-16-2012, 08:49 PM
he'll be back.

Brandon494
01-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Our defense is already bad enough, I would hate to see it without Woodson. I don't see him going anywhere.

Joemailman
01-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Packers are in no position to let Woodson walk. If TT releases Woodson, those guys might bring back their firetedthompsonnow.com website.

Tarlam!
01-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Thinking a restructure might be in order. TT took a chance on Woodson when pretty much no one else wanted to and Chuck was blessed with a career resurrection and a SB victory. Nothing really left for him to do so why bounce around the league when he can stay put and have it good. This is a good relationship for both sides that should continue.

This is a good, well thought out post.

Who are you and what have you done with the Mexican?

Patler
01-16-2012, 10:51 PM

I doubt there will be any restructuring this year. Woodson signed a new contract at the start of 2010 that essentially guaranteed his original contract through 2012 and added two more seasons.

Woodson's agent:

"What was key on this deal is that the team essentially made a three-year commitment to Woodson where he can make over $33 million over the next three years. Overall it's a new five-year deal with a max value of over $55 million that has $21 million in advances and bonuses," agent Carl Poston told KDVR.

Tarlam!
01-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Play him at Safety. I'm sure he'd be great on Safety blitzes, too, but it's reassuring to have a guy that's seen it all, done it all in one's backfield. He'd be a great QB back there, too, because of his penchant for film study.

Smidgeon
01-17-2012, 01:00 AM
Play him at Safety. I'm sure he'd be great on Safety blitzes, too, but it's reassuring to have a guy that's seen it all, done it all in one's backfield. He'd be a great QB back there, too, because of his penchant for film study.

+1 It might just solve the Packers safety problems too if Collins doesn't come back.

SnakeLH2006
01-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Woodson is still great, loves the game, needs #s for the HOF....we need passrushers brah.

Gunakor
01-17-2012, 03:52 AM
+1 It might just solve the Packers safety problems too if Collins doesn't come back.

But what if he can? I've been impressed with Burnett at FS this year, so I'd hate to take him off the field.

I wouldn't want to take Woodson off the LOS. I'm sure he'd make a fine safety but that's not what he does best. I'm hopeful Collins comes back healthy and hungry next year as he and Burnett will make a VERY formidable safety tandem, and Woodson can go back to creating havoc at the LOS in a rover role similar to 2010.

Smidgeon
01-17-2012, 11:01 AM
But what if he can? I've been impressed with Burnett at FS this year, so I'd hate to take him off the field.

I wouldn't want to take Woodson off the LOS. I'm sure he'd make a fine safety but that's not what he does best. I'm hopeful Collins comes back healthy and hungry next year as he and Burnett will make a VERY formidable safety tandem, and Woodson can go back to creating havoc at the LOS in a rover role similar to 2010.

I would also enjoy this scenario. Even better than the other where Collins doesn't return. This defense got automatically worse without him.

Bossman641
01-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Am I the only one who is a little worried about the thought of Woodson at safety? He is a good tackler for a corner, but not sure I'd feel comfortable with him as the last line of defense (No jokes about Peprah please).

His tackling ability slipped big time this year. He doesn't have the top end speed you want from a safety to run down balls in the air. He has a well-known penchant for gambling that is better served at CB than safety.

I am REALLY hoping Collins comes back. Collins and Burnett could cover as much ground as any tandem in the league. Give Williams an offseason to heal and Shields an offseason to get some coaching and they can go back to bump and run.

Cheesehead Craig
01-17-2012, 11:46 AM
The concern I have on Woodson was that it seemed that he was involved in too many plays where either he was out of position in pass coverage or somebody didn't get the cov call that he did. It seemed too much to be coincidence. I'm not sure if I want him back there calling coverage adjustments for the secondary.

Freak Out
01-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Wood is going to drop the retirement bomb on Packer Nation.

Smidgeon
01-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Am I the only one who is a little worried about the thought of Woodson at safety? He is a good tackler for a corner, but not sure I'd feel comfortable with him as the last line of defense (No jokes about Peprah please).

His tackling ability slipped big time this year. He doesn't have the top end speed you want from a safety to run down balls in the air. He has a well-known penchant for gambling that is better served at CB than safety.

I am REALLY hoping Collins comes back. Collins and Burnett could cover as much ground as any tandem in the league. Give Williams an offseason to heal and Shields an offseason to get some coaching and they can go back to bump and run.

If he doesn't have safety speed, he definitely doesn't have CB speed. As a safety, you could give him the angles to watch the field or play him up close to the line.

And I for one think he can tackle just fine...if he isn't asked to go one on one with running backs who out weigh him by 20-30 pounds with a full head of steam who are trained to run through guys. Give him an angle against a WR or TE, and he'll get his guy down.

But I agree with your last paragraph completely.

PA Pack Fan
01-17-2012, 01:19 PM

Nope, I feel the same way. Woodson is great at gambling and getting the interception, a terrific tackler and blitzer, but that's not the primary job of a cb. It seems like on many plays he just doesn't give a **** and since he's the probowl veteran, he can make it look like it was the fs at fault. Overall his play has steadily gone downhill, though i think i'd have a hard time cutting him. One more year at best.

smuggler
01-17-2012, 02:17 PM
With Woodson outplaying Tramon Williams all year, I think there is a bigger question to ask.

woodbuck27
01-17-2012, 03:00 PM
I doubt there will be any restructuring this year. Woodson signed a new contract at the start of 2010 that essentially guaranteed his original contract through 2012 and added two more seasons.

Woodson's agent:

NICE DEAL.He's not wanting to go anywhere but maybe? Applebee's in Green Bay, Wisconsin on a Friday evening. Expensive CB !

pbmax
01-17-2012, 07:00 PM
I wonder how many of the currently 21 votes for yes are voting for "an idiot" rather than "yes".

Bretsky
01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I wonder how many of the currently 21 votes for yes are voting for "an idiot" rather than "yes".

What was the poll question anyways :)

packrulz
01-18-2012, 05:33 AM
Wood is 35, and would cost $11/mil total, I'm not sure he's able to cover anymore, even at safety. I voted no.

SavedByGrace
01-18-2012, 07:31 AM
I don't think there's any way we get rid of Wood, not with all the intangibles he brings to the team.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/woodson-may-be-asked-to-play-safety-4g3r91v-137538273.html

Smidgeon
01-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Wood is 35, and would cost $11/mil total, I'm not sure he's able to cover anymore, even at safety. I voted no.

How often are safeties supposed to cover though? As a strong safety, his job would be blitzing, playing the ball, and tackling. All three of which he does tremendously well. It extended Rod Woodson's career by several years and I think would do the same for Charles Woodson's.

Smeefers
01-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Wait, do you guys actually think the teams going to get rid of Woodson?
:wow::crazy::wow:

denverYooper
01-18-2012, 12:34 PM
One of the end of year articles on the D had Capers mentioning that after Collins's injury, they'd mulled switching Wood to Safety and making Shields the #2 CB. They were worried about Shields lack of tackling ability, though, so they put Peprah in as the starting S and kept Wood in his spot. I wonder if it would have made any difference?

pbmax
01-18-2012, 03:40 PM
The unmentioned problem with Wood at safety is health. Wood is a good size for a CB, but he looks like Collins' sickly cousin in comparison. There is not doubt he is tough and willing, but he gets beat to death on the corner and in the slot. Perhaps at FS he would be in the box less, but that is where he feasts and makes his living now. I think Wood to safety is overblown.

What was the verdict of Bush as starting corner in base, run down nickel Defense? Clearly he was out there to stop the bleeding of running wide and having Shields get bowled over by errant dust particles, but did he get beat? There were so many other things going badly I don't remember.

Tarlam!
01-18-2012, 10:35 PM
The unmentioned problem with Wood at safety is health. Wood is a good size for a CB, but he looks like Collins' sickly cousin in comparison. There is not doubt he is tough and willing, but he gets beat to death on the corner and in the slot. Perhaps at FS he would be in the box less, but that is where he feasts and makes his living now. I think Wood to safety is overblown.

Maybe his build is too slight to play SS, but he is like a coach on the paddock. I don't know how TT/M3 fills the void if he retires - especially if Collins also retires.

packrulz
01-19-2012, 05:31 AM
Not just Woodson but there could be a few of the older players becoming too expensive to keep around, you have to keep bringing in younger, stronger, faster talent, I'm looking at guys like Driver, Clifton, Wells, Peprah, Bush, Green, & etc.

Tarlam!
01-19-2012, 06:46 AM
It just dawned on me that the roster only has DD, Cliffy and Wells left from the M2 era. If Cliffy retires, DD is cut and Wells asks for crazy money, then all remnats (playerwise) of that era are gone.

Patler
01-19-2012, 08:13 AM
The Packers committed to Woodson for to and including the 2012 season when they negotiated his extension 2 years ago. It was virtually guaranteed. The question of whether to bring him back or not will not come up until 2013.

Patler
01-19-2012, 08:29 AM
The more comments I read from Collins, the less likely I think it is that he will return. He sounds as if he will need almost a guarantee that he is under no greater risk now than he was before the injury, and I can't imagine a doctor telling him that.

He has his priorities in order, and #1 is to be there for his wife and kids. Both he and his wife have said they have been very careful with the money he has earned and they do not need him to play for money because they do not live lavishly. Each has made many comments about not needing him to play, and Nick has said in almost every interview that he is ready to move on with the next phase of his life if that is what comes. He seems to appreciate what he has had already, and isn't at all concerned with what years he might lose from the career he expected just a few months ago.

Too bad for the Packers, but I am really happy for Collins. He seems like a guy who has done things the right way and is supported by his wife in a conservative life style compared to many pro athletes. He had a real scare with the injury, but should be able to live his life normally, and he seems happy with that.

Pugger
01-19-2012, 08:34 AM
If the other DBs - like Shields and Burnett - can improve and figure out where they are supposed to be at times then Capers can use Woodson like Pitt uses Polamalu.

mraynrand
01-19-2012, 08:40 AM
The more comments I read from Collins, the less likely I think it is that he will return. He sounds as if he will need almost a guarantee that he is under no greater risk now than he was before the injury, and I can't imagine a doctor telling him that.

He has his priorities in order, and #1 is to be there for his wife and kids. Both he and his wife have said they have been very careful with the money he has earned and they do not need him to play for money because they do not live lavishly. Each has made many comments about not needing him to play, and Nick has said in almost every interview that he is ready to move on with the next phase of his life if that is what comes. He seems to appreciate what he has had already, and isn't at all concerned with what years he might lose from the career he expected just a few months ago.

Too bad for the Packers, but I am really happy for Collins. He seems like a guy who has done things the right way and is supported by his wife in a conservative life style compared to many pro athletes. He had a real scare with the injury, but should be able to live his life normally, and he seems happy with that.

good post. Denial and Bargaining are over, giving way to Acceptance - for me, not Collins! :lol:

Freak Out
01-19-2012, 01:24 PM

I heard a crazy stat recently....it stated that 71 percent of NFL players are either broke or in jail 3 years after being out of the NFL......not the kind of number you want to see. That's why I despise the NCAA and what they have done with football. Of course the NFL is to blame as well.

mraynrand
01-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I heard a crazy stat recently....it stated that 71 percent of NFL players are either broke or in jail 3 years after being out of the NFL......not the kind of number you want to see. That's why I despise the NCAA and what they have done with football. Of course the NFL is to blame as well.

How is the NCAA to blame for players in the NFL being broke? How is the NFL to blame? I'm betting Sean Jones is responsible for more NFL players being broke than the NFL. And that's why he was in jail...

Bretsky
01-19-2012, 09:58 PM

I get the same feeling.

Tarlam!
01-20-2012, 01:15 AM

The Clubs employ front office staff to deal with player development. My understanding is players receive coaching in the area of investments and post NFL employment opportunities, including help in completion of their education.

One can lead a horse to water.....