PDA

View Full Version : How you doing?

MadtownPacker
01-16-2012, 08:04 PM
I was reading Nutz post about not getting so worked up over football games and realized I wasnt so bent out of shape about the loss today, as bad as it was. I'm guessing it has alot to do with coming off a SB win. You guys feel the same way or was it like 4th&26 traumatizing for you?

On a unrelated note. I was on the side of my pad talking with my cousins after the game when we heard a little chant coming down the street. We where behind a tall fence so we couldnt see but when I pulled myself up and looked over it there was a dude walking down the street with what looked like 3 or 4 of his kids. They were waving some kind of flag but I couldnt see what it was (thinking it was Mexico one but it could have been something else just saw red) and they where chanting "Who sucks? The Packers suck! Who lost? The Packers lost!". I was thinking I might be tripping but the cuzs heard it too. I dont know what the hell was going on other than some ghettos ass fool had his kids doing that. Not sure if it was for my benefit but I dont know of any other Pack fans around. I just could make out the dude and he had black on so maybe it was a bitter raiders fan. :lol:

Joemailman
01-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Not as bad as 4th and 26. Frustrating though, because the opportunity to repeat as Super Bowl Champs doesn't present itself that often. I'm hoping this isn't 1997 all over again. The one advantage this team does have is it appears the head coach wants to be here long term. He's not using Green Bay as a stepping stone to a "better" job.

MJZiggy
01-16-2012, 08:19 PM
I've had worse losses. The interesting thing is being new at work, no one knew whether it was safe to be near me or not, so they just kind of left me alone to do my thing today...

gbgary
01-16-2012, 08:45 PM
we had a great year. disappointed yes but not as bad as some other times. they know they're better than they showed in that game. everyone will come back hungry and with something to prove next season.

hoosier
01-16-2012, 08:50 PM
This did not compare to 4th and 26 in any way, shape or form. Maybe that is just me and where I am at in life, though. Nothing like three kids rampaging around the house to put football losses in perspective. Because, any minute now, there is sure to be something of far more value getting flung across the living room and smashed into smithereens. :-)

billy_oliver880
01-16-2012, 09:32 PM
I was doing ok....disappointed then I had some bs farve apologists coming out of the woodwork at me. While rodgers had a bad game he was just a piece of the problem.

KYPack
01-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Yesterday I felt like I just got out of one of those big locker room clothes dryers. Today, I'm doing a lot better than I thought I'd be doing. I always had reservations about this team. An offensive machine built on multiple receivers, but more holes on D that would be exposed in big play-off competition.

The Giants are on the same path we were on last year. Coming together in the play-offs and staying hot. We just saw the other side of the coin this season.

Tarlam!
01-16-2012, 09:51 PM
No where near as bad as 2007.

I think the difference between 4th and 26 and 2007 is that in those two defeats, the Packers were in it until the end. This last defeat was not the same. The Packers were done and dusted before the 4th quarter even started. They were never seriously in it to begin with, so i resigned to a loss relatively early. There wasn't that single traumatic boneheaded play that cost the game. There were a series of plays and plenty of blame to go around.

Fosco33
01-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Accepted it with 7min left after Grant fumble and was out enjoying DC with my pops before final whistle.

Getting blown out doesn't bug me as much as the 'close' losses. We'd be fighting over single plays/etc instead of seeing the larger issues with the team.

It really is just a game.

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2012, 10:14 PM
I've matured since then. Plus, I have two daughters now. I think having witnessed two Super Bowl titles now (one recently), it doesn't sting like it used to. Still, I was melancholy last night. Today, I took my oldest daughter skiing for the first time. The youngest is sick and woke up several times last night. Hard to stay down for long.

Also, having been a fan for so long now, you realize the playoffs are a crapshoot. Each game really is a tossup.

Harlan Huckleby
01-16-2012, 10:15 PM
I didn't find it too bitter because Giants deserved to win. Went to bed feeling a little empty cause game wasn't so fun. I did wake up early this morn to make sure the sun was gonna come up, and sure enuf it did.

th87
01-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Yeah, maybe I'm growing up, and this is a lesson to not revolve such a big chunk of your life around something you have no control over.

What's annoying is other fans talking shit. I don't do it because I know how much it sucks to lose, so I find that incredibly petty.

Deputy Nutz
01-16-2012, 10:30 PM
I think the writing was the wall with how the defense was playing. I still have no idea why the bookies had the game at 7.5 in favor of the Packers.

Tarlam!
01-16-2012, 10:30 PM
I know how much it sucks to lose,

YOU LOSER! :lol:

Nice to see ya th87.

Tarlam!
01-16-2012, 10:31 PM
I still have no idea why the bookies had the game at 7.5 in favor of the Packers.

Aaron Rodgers.

denverYooper
01-16-2012, 10:32 PM
I had to relinquish my laptop to our two year old around the time Grant fumbled so she could watch Dora. After that I went to the kitchen and started making dinner, just listening to the game in case anything happened. At the 2 minute warning my daughter told me she had to poop so I said, "let's go up and poop, the Packers sure took a dump tonight!"

My wife is 34 weeks pregnant as of yesterday, and seeing as how she was in labor with our first at 34 weeks to the day, today was a pretty good day because we'd made it farther than that.

channtheman
01-16-2012, 11:06 PM
This loss hasn't actually been all that bad. The Thursday before the game I took the NCLEX-RN exam which is the national licensing test for Registered Nurses and I found out I passed the next day. I guess when life is really starting to take off for you and you are ecstatic about finally being down with school, football seems a little less significant. I am still upset and disappointed, but I was not surprised that the Giants were able to beat us. I could tell from early in the game that the Packers were not mentally in the game, and so I kind of prepped myself for a loss as well.

pbmax
01-16-2012, 11:07 PM
I was doing ok....disappointed then I had some bs farve apologists coming out of the woodwork at me. While rodgers had a bad game he was just a piece of the problem.

Just keep saying, "Well, at least Rodgers didn't melt down like that Rams playoff game. BOY, was that embarrassing!"

pbmax
01-16-2012, 11:09 PM
I measure how well I am doing by how I treat the family after the game, if I can stand to read about it and if I can stand to listen to the radio.

I am happy to report my family thinks I am handling it well.

1 out of 3 is not too bad. :)

th87
01-16-2012, 11:10 PM
YOU LOSER! :lol:

Nice to see ya th87.

Hey buddy - I hope you're doing well.

superfan
01-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Disappointed, but not the end of the world. I'm not surprised, the team felt like it was losing steam at the end of the season and just had no faith in the defense. This loss would have been much harder to take if they had managed to go 16-0 during the regular season.

Worse losses off the top of my head:

- 2009 - OT loss to the Cardinals in the playoffs - very frustrating as I really thought that team was primed to make a deep playoff run. Plus while watching the game someone rear ended my car as it was parked on the street.
- 2007 - OT loss to NYG - arguably one play from the Super Bowl
- 2004 - Losing to the Vikings in the playoffs after sweeping them during the regular season
- 2003 - 4th and 26
- 2002 - Home playoff loss to the Falcons, ruining the Lambeau Postseason Mystique
- 1998 - Rice fumble loss to the 49ers
- 1997 - Super Bowl loss to the Broncos

I think there have even been some regular season losses that angered me more than this one. That entire 6-10 season, Rodgers' first season starting, was extremely frustrating. So many blown 4th quarter leads that year.

Pugger
01-16-2012, 11:47 PM
It still hurts but live goes on. This loss is not as bad as the others because as Tarlam said we were never in that game, really. And I don't think this will be a repeat of 1997. This is a much younger team and our HC isn't going anywhere. We have a solid core of good players to rebuild around. If TT can fix this defense and we can get a more consistent running game we can terrorize the league in 2012 and beyond.

mmmdk
01-17-2012, 12:11 AM
I'm ok but worried...why? I had the same feeling sunday as after the SB loss to Denver, the feeling that told me "oh we'll be back in SB soon to claim yet another Lombardi trophy"...well, we didn't get in that era and I can't shake the "what if we don't win another SB" feeling in this era either?

DEFENSE - DEFENSE - DEFENSE

Bossman641
01-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Not crushed...but just keep running the mistakes over and over again in my head. Still, this one will hurt for a while as you never know how often these chances come about. Probably doesn't help that I grew up/live near Chicago and had to deal with a FB page full of ecstatic Bear fans and Discount Double Choke statuses.

mraynrand
01-17-2012, 12:21 AM
they where chanting "Who sucks? The Packers suck! Who lost? The Packers lost!".

my first reaction was one of surprise - I didn't know you lived near Nutz

mraynrand
01-17-2012, 12:22 AM
I think the writing was the wall with how the defense was playing. I still have no idea why the bookies had the game at 7.5 in favor of the Packers.

You know why - Vegas stays even on the betting. Packer fans always over bet for their team. It pushes the odds.

Freak Out
01-17-2012, 02:10 AM
During the game I was pretty upset.....from the get go things looked lost....but this loss seemed easier to deal with than others that were mentioned.

SnakeLH2006
01-17-2012, 02:45 AM
Snake said it all year. The pass rush is none without Jenkins....Arod has to be awesome every game. Get some passrushers.

th87
01-17-2012, 02:49 AM
Jenkins missed a bunch of last year though. I think the defense just got fat and happy, and Capers couldn't get creative.

SnakeLH2006
01-17-2012, 03:24 AM
It still hurts but live goes on. This loss is not as bad as the others because as Tarlam said we were never in that game, really. And I don't think this will be a repeat of 1997. This is a much younger team and our HC isn't going anywhere. We have a solid core of good players to rebuild around. If TT can fix this defense and we can get a more consistent running game we can terrorize the league in 2012 and beyond.

This.

hoosier
01-17-2012, 06:13 AM
I had to relinquish my laptop to our two year old around the time Grant fumbled so she could watch Dora. After that I went to the kitchen and started making dinner, just listening to the game in case anything happened. At the 2 minute warning my daughter told me she had to poop so I said, "let's go up and poop, the Packers sure took a dump tonight!"

My wife is 34 weeks pregnant as of yesterday, and seeing as how she was in labor with our first at 34 weeks to the day, today was a pretty good day because we'd made it farther than that.

Way to incorporate the Pack into the potty rhetoric. I did not fare so well with my four year old: after the Hail Mary he had to remind me that we don't use those words.

wist43
01-17-2012, 07:06 AM

LOL... sounds exactly like my household.

My wife is ready to give birth any day now, and our 2 yr old usually commands some "Dora time" too... I didn't watch the game though, just checked the ticker once in a while. Much easier on the heart that way :)

sheepshead
01-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Having our success pinned so heavily on the turnover battle always made me squeamish. I guess I've been looking for this most of the year. We hit some teams at the right times this year too. There were times the Bears looked unbeatable for instance. Detroit too. We got out of Minneapolis with a squeaker really. Almost a fluke year. Defense needs a overhaul. Woodson is not the same guy that started the season IMO.

mmmdk
01-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Snake said it all year. The pass rush is none without Jenkins....Arod has to be awesome every game. Get some passrushers.

So true!

sheepshead
01-17-2012, 07:46 AM
I wonder if (besides his bank account) Jenkins regrets not sticking around?

George Cumby
01-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Slightly down Monday. Nothing like 4th and 26 or 2007.

Like others, I've grown up and my priorities have changed.

It was a helluva fun year and it wouldn't be that much fun if we were guaranteed the Super Bowl every year.

Now, how does the team react?

George Cumby
01-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Oh, and thanks for asking, Mad.

Cheesehead Craig
01-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Not crushed at all. Disappointed? A bit. But like others have said, the playoffs are a crapshoot.

I get a bigger kick out of the Vikes fans up here saying how their weekend was made on Sunday and that they will be happy for months because the Packers lost. Guess it's more fun to have a rival lose than your own team win. Says a lot about them and their team IMO.

Tarlam!
01-17-2012, 11:41 AM
I get a bigger kick out of the Vikes fans up here saying how their weekend was made on Sunday and that they will be happy for months because the Packers lost. Guess it's more fun to have a rival lose than your own team win. Says a lot about them and their team IMO.

Well Craig, line me up as a dickhead then, because when the Vikings lost against NO I lit fireworks and screamed and stomped for joy. Says a lot about me, but has little, actually naught to do with the team I part own.

Cheesehead Craig
01-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Well Craig, line me up as a dickhead then, because when the Vikings lost against NO I lit fireworks and screamed and stomped for joy. Says a lot about me, but has little, actually naught to do with the team I part own.

I already had you down for a dickhead for a plethora of other reasons already. So no worries there. ;)

VegasPackFan
01-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Definitely not as bad as 2007 or 4th & 26 since those games we should have won. This one we deserved to lose. There is a certain feeling of loss because I bought so heavily into this season and it all went for nothing. Just seems a colossal waste of a great overall year. Oh well.

Smidgeon
01-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Definitely not as bad as 2007 or 4th & 26 since those games we should have won. This one we deserved to lose. There is a certain feeling of loss because I bought so heavily into this season and it all went for nothing. Just seems a colossal waste of a great overall year. Oh well.

This year the team wasn't on the cusp of winning the game only to have it stolen (or given) away (2009 refs. Grr.). So I also don't feel that bad about it...

mission
01-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Not too excited... been taking a break, don't want to listen to my normal sports talk shows. Been jamming out on my daily drives to The Roots - Undun and the new Black Keys - El Camino. Good albums if you like good music. I don't seem to be doing quite as well as some of you but at least it doesn't feel like we got robbed of something we deserved. That's my only consolation.

sheepshead
01-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Disappointed, but not the end of the world. I'm not surprised, the team felt like it was losing steam at the end of the season and just had no faith in the defense. This loss would have been much harder to take if they had managed to go 16-0 during the regular season.

Worse losses off the top of my head:

- 2009 - OT loss to the Cardinals in the playoffs - very frustrating as I really thought that team was primed to make a deep playoff run. Plus while watching the game someone rear ended my car as it was parked on the street.
- 2007 - OT loss to NYG - arguably one play from the Super Bowl
- 2004 - Losing to the Vikings in the playoffs after sweeping them during the regular season
- 2003 - 4th and 26
- 2002 - Home playoff loss to the Falcons, ruining the Lambeau Postseason Mystique
- 1998 - Rice fumble loss to the 49ers
- 1997 - Super Bowl loss to the Broncos

I think there have even been some regular season losses that angered me more than this one. That entire 6-10 season, Rodgers' first season starting, was extremely frustrating. So many blown 4th quarter leads that year.

Oh no no no, the SB loss to the Broncos is by far the most painful. The worst coaching job I have seen in my lifetime. A lack of preparation fueled by arrogance. The overrated blowhard hasn't done much of anything since. This single game negated anything he did for us previously. Couple that with the manner in which he exited and not only do I have no respect for him as a coach, I have no respect for him as a man. That loss STILL stings.

woodbuck27
01-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Hi Mad..Happy New Year.

To Be really honest. I felt that 'we are very likely to lose this football game ' feeling. I hoped that OUR team would have that sense of REAL urgency. Did they need any more motivation than knowing there opponent was totally focused on spanking their collective ass's as they did in the 2007 NFC Final?

Evidently they did. This team was set up to lose. They lost. End of story. As a Packer fan I want that fixed ASAP.

I moved on before that game. We can take alot away from that extraordinary run. A Super Bowl! Are you kidding me with basically the roster that we won last season's Super Bowl with. Minus our Free Safety Nick Collins.

An NFL best 15-1 regular season record. The first time any team ever swept in the NFCN. Defeating the Lions at home in week 17 and extending their losing streak at Lambeau to 20 games.The way our back up QB Matt Flynn played on that day.That was the highlight of OUR season IMO and a sign that the right system, if not the right people is in place to succeed in the future.

The extention of maturity I saw in Aaron Rodgers. The way he played his position through a four five game stretch. The way he played all season and his courage on Sunday, when so much he counted on went south.

Go back to the regular season. Any promise at QB? I've never seen a QB play that good for that long a stretch. Aaron Rodgers had an unbelievably tremendous season. He was OUR team MVP by such a wide margin. Valuable doesn't cover it.

No my stomach was upset Sunday night. The loss was hurting me. I awoke and began to post on Packerrats around 2 AM my time. I didn't sulk. I got busy.

Thanks to this Packer Home I'm OK, Mad.