PDA

View Full Version : Philbin to the 'Phins

denverYooper
01-20-2012, 05:43 PM
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

I wonder if he'll grab Flynn for the win?

Pugger
01-20-2012, 05:57 PM
I hope we don't lose Clements now to Tampa!

Joemailman
01-20-2012, 06:15 PM
I hope we don't lose Clements now to Tampa!

Hopefully they'll take either Sherman or Childress. :grin:

red
01-20-2012, 06:35 PM
the dolphins are gonna be pissed when they find out it was M3 running the whole show

Smidgeon
01-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Now the big question:

Who does Philbin poach?

mraynrand
01-20-2012, 07:16 PM
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

I wonder if he'll grab Flynn for the win?

I would if I were him - Flynn outplayed Rodgers in January

MJZiggy
01-20-2012, 07:42 PM
I figured Philbin would either hunker down or run like hell. I know I'd never be able to leave the place where my kid rests, but he must've had the opposite reaction.

HarveyWallbangers
01-20-2012, 07:43 PM
I called this soon after Philbin was hired. Even at that time, he seemed like a future head coach. I was impressed right away with him.

Brandon494
01-20-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm pretty sure our offense will do just fine without Philbin.

Patler
01-20-2012, 07:58 PM
So does Clements become the Packers' OC?

mraynrand
01-20-2012, 08:04 PM

+1

MadtownPacker
01-20-2012, 08:34 PM
+1
Yeah last weekend sure proved he wasnt that valuable.

MJZiggy
01-20-2012, 08:39 PM

I'm half willing to give him a pass on that because he shouldn't have even been there. And yet, he really shouldn't have freaking been there.

Patler
01-20-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm half willing to give him a pass on that because he shouldn't have even been there. And yet, he really shouldn't have freaking been there.

i have to admit, under his current circumstances I would have been hesitant to hire the guy for a demanding job like head coach in the NFL. Clearly, he, his wife and family will be suffering for a long time. He will have days of distraction, days when he doesn't have his heart (or head) in his job. It is not yet time for them to move on, it is still time to grieve. It does not end quickly, and now they will attempt it in a new environment, new colleagues, new friends and new responsibilities.

MJZiggy
01-20-2012, 10:24 PM
The only thing I can think is that he's trying to run away from it. I'm not convinced that will work.

Patler
01-20-2012, 10:34 PM
The only thing I can think is that he's trying to run away from it. I'm not convinced that will work.

Nor am I.

I feel sorry for him, he really may not have wanted to leave under the current circumstances. On the other hand, it might be the only opportunity for a HC position that he would ever have gotten. It had to be a tough decision. Sometimes it really is now or never.

channtheman
01-20-2012, 11:02 PM

8 drops and tons of fumbles.

Joemailman
01-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Nor am I.

I feel sorry for him, he really may not have wanted to leave under the current circumstances. On the other hand, it might be the only opportunity for a HC position that he would ever have gotten. It had to be a tough decision. Sometimes it really is now or never.

We don't have any way of knowing, but this could be a family decision as much as a professional one. Michael Philbin had been in trouble before. Now he's dead, and we don't know all the circumstances surrounding that. The Philbin's have 5 children. Joe Philbin may have decided that his family needs a change of scenery.

Pugger
01-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Maybe the family needed a fresh start in a new place. I get all of the Dolphin games down here so I'll be eager to see how the team responds to their new HC.

jklowan
01-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Whatever, I wish him good luck, hope he wins a ton, unless he meets the Packers in the superbowl. Otherwise heal soon and win {{{{{Philbin vibes}}}}}

GO PACK GO

Smidgeon
01-21-2012, 02:17 AM
Maybe the family needed a fresh start in a new place. I get all of the Dolphin games down here so I'll be eager to see how the team responds to their new HC.

I'm curious to see how he does too. It will be a good indication of his effect in GB (afterwards).

I hope he does well.

bobblehead
01-21-2012, 06:31 AM

How many fumbles and dropped passes did philbin have....i didn't see any.

woodbuck27
01-21-2012, 06:34 AM
I would if I were him - Flynn outplayed Rodgers in January

Such brilliance. TT and MM showcasing their first choice at 'Franchise Tag'. Such brilliance. Heads up all NFL teams desperate for a decent starting QB. Such brilliance. Wanna make a deal? ....Thinking....

Thinking....Green Bay Packer FA's (Backup QB) Matt Flynn; (No.1 C) Scott Wells; All Everything - NO.1 TE/WR Jermichael Finley ....thinking.

mmmm .... Lost .... Long time service of Reggie McKenzie.....who will he plunder?

mmmm .... Lost ...OC Joe Philbin and his excellent track record and service for the Green Bay Packer Offense. Who will he plunder?

mmmm .... Thinking .... Tom Clemons for Green Bay Packer OC !? May he get a better offer? Pay him what he's worth. Loyality...Loyalty. Thinking .... Ted Thompson. . . . .and LOYALTY.

Recent 'History' .... mmmm .... Green Bay Packer Super Bowl 45 Championship and 2011 Season, 15-1 Regular Season Record. Best Record in the NFL . ' HISTORY ! '....History .... history ......

mmmm .... New Blue Print...thinking .... New Blue Print.

Green Bay Packer Roster Assessment.

TRUTH.... Thinking ! mmmm ... Clean it up .... Cut the deadwood. New Blue Print .... Thinking .... New Blue print.

mmmm .... Thinking .... GREEN BAY PACKERS .... Super Bowl 45 CHAMPS .... HISTORY.

mmmm .... Thinking .... New BLUE PRINT. Yes ! Need one.

Thinking .... Green Bay Packer GM, Ted Thompson. Thinking.

Thinking .... PACKERS ! Thinking are we stuck on NFL Championship .... What !? Ohh '13' !?? 13 ....13 .... 13.

Action - Reaction. 13 .... 14 .... 15.

PACKER FANS EXPECTATIONS.... Thinking.

Nothing Less than an NFL Championship serves the mustard. How to get there? How to get there again!

.... and .... AGAIN !!

Thinking .... Green Bay PACKERS !!!!

woodbuck27
01-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Miami perfect place for Philbin

By: Vic Ketchman, packers.com editor

Posted 10 hours ago ....

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article_ketchman/article-1/Miami-perfect-place-for-Philbin/c6b76c43-f14f-4ea4-b5a4-50964afcadc0

sheepshead
01-21-2012, 07:57 AM
The players seem to like Joe and seem genuinely happy for him. I was at the Miami game in '10 when they beat us. The fins are not too far away as Vic mentioned. Should be fun to watch, I also think, like our roster, our sideline is deep with talent.

Iron Mike
01-21-2012, 08:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2UGOksUQsk

woodbuck27
01-21-2012, 08:25 AM
The players seem to like Joe and seem genuinely happy for him. I was at the Miami game in '10 when they beat us. The fins are not too far away as Vic mentioned. Should be fun to watch, I also think, like our roster, our sideline is deep with talent.

I hope OUR future will serve your observation. We just lost a solid OC. The Dolphins gain, our immediate loss. The Dolphins need a solid QB. It makes sense for Matt Flynn to seriously condider the Miami option. That should be an excellent fit for this talented QB. TT will be thinking how he can gain something for his development in Green Bay.

We have many needs now. How? does TT ensure some momentum in terms of FA Matt Flynn and make the best decision for the Packers RE: Our starting Center and TE?

TT's work is in front of him; his task, NOT an easy one.

GO! Ted Thompson.

sheepshead
01-21-2012, 09:03 AM
I hope OUR future will serve your observation. We just lost a solid OC. The Phins gain our immediate loss. The Dolphins need a solid QB. It makes sense for Matt Flynn to seriously condider the Miami option. That should be an excellent fit for this talented QB. TT will be thinking how he can gain something for his development in Green Bay.

We have many needs now. How? does TT ensure some momentum in terms of FA Matt Flynn and make the best decision for the Packers RE: Our starting Center and TE?

TT's work is in front of him; his task, NOT an easy one.

GO! Ted Thompson.

Ill bet there are at least 27 GMs today that would like his "problems" :-)

woodbuck27
01-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Ill bet there are at least 27 GMs today that would like his "problems" :-)

Ohh yes. Let's reduce it to what's relative. The consummate argument to serve any need to be correct or ignore an issue.

pbmax
01-21-2012, 09:20 AM
I suspect he will be tempted to keep the D coaches since that part of the endeavor there has been pretty productive (an even better situation than Bates would have been for McCarthy). Anyone know if they kept everyone but Sparano under contract or did they throw the whole group out the door?

EDIT: The Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins would like to offer Mike McCoy the DC job. But as he was a candidate for the Head Coaching job, that might be awkward. And I am not sure Philbin wants to hire Stephen Ross' second choice which would make him the natural lightning rod for all the inevitable replacement talk if they should struggle. A source close to McCoy supposedly said that it has not been broached, but it would make some sense for him. It would be a lateral move from DC to DC, but rather than run John Fox's defense, he would get to run his own.

pbmax
01-21-2012, 09:28 AM
dp

Fosco33
01-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Dolphilbins

Joemailman
01-21-2012, 09:57 AM
I suspect he will be tempted to keep the D coaches since that part of the endeavor there has been pretty productive (an even better situation than Bates would have been for McCarthy). Anyone know if they kept everyone but Sparano under contract or did they throw the whole group out the door?

EDIT: The Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins would like to offer Mike McCoy the DC job. But as he was a candidate for the Head Coaching job, that might be awkward. And I am not sure Philbin wants to hire Stephen Ross' second choice which would make him the natural lightning rod for all the inevitable replacement talk if they should struggle. A source close to McCoy supposedly said that it has not been broached, but it would make some sense for him. It would be a lateral move from DC to DC, but rather than run John Fox's defense, he would get to run his own.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/21/2599883_p2/report-miami-dolphins-name-green.html

The Dolphins have interest in having Bowles serve as defensive coordinator – which was vacated by Mike Nolan’s move to Atlanta - but had not made him an offer as of Friday evening. Philbin reportedly is receptive to the idea of keeping Bowles, who was the Dolphins’ secondary coach the past four years.

MadtownPacker
01-21-2012, 09:59 AM

+1

How many fumbles and dropped passes did philbin have....i didn't see any.Guess sarcasim dont translate well online.

I meant that Philbin must mean alot to the team because his loss affected the whole team, especially the offense. It's like it took their fire.

sheepshead
01-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Ohh yes. Let's reduce it to what's relative. The consummate argument to serve any need to be correct or ignore an issue.

Lighten up man, really.

pbmax
01-21-2012, 10:31 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/21/2599883_p2/report-miami-dolphins-name-green.html

Reading comprehension failed me again. I thought the first mention was McCoy and Bowles was the alternative. Not that that makes sense either, as McCoy is the OC in Denver.

So Bowles would really be Bates, including a stint as interim HC of the Phins.

ND72
01-21-2012, 10:46 AM
I've never been impressed with him, but I wish him well. Nfl network this morning said he has spoken to Tom Clements to become their OC, and Perry in being their DC.

sheepshead
01-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Is Clements under consideration as our OC?

Joemailman
01-21-2012, 11:39 AM
I don't see Clements going to Miami as their OC unless Miami agrees to a trade for Flynn.

mraynrand
01-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Philbin was the Packers 'everything.' He was the synthetic Castrol oil in their engine case, the silicone ball bearings in their Accuride drawer slides, the vasoline up their -----. Now he's GONE! GONE! AHHHHHHHRRRRGGGH! http://fabulesslyfrugal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/crying-272x300.jpg

They can't possibly carry on without him. Oh, THE HUMANITY!

ThunderDan
01-21-2012, 05:34 PM

What is that crap?!!!

TT and MM have built an increadible team and coaching staff. Other NFL teams are going to want our talent. Period.

Are you saying that Philbin shouldn't want the opportunity to be a head coach? Why wouldn't he leave when the opportunity comes? There are only 32 head coaching spots and GM spots in the NFL. Are McKenzie and Philbin supposed to wait until TT and MM retire before they get their shot?

The is only 1 OC and DC per team. Now we can protect one of our best position coach by moving him to OC from QB coach.

Joemailman
01-21-2012, 09:12 PM
http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34494159

When Philbin flew home to Green Bay from Miami after interviewing for the first time with owner Stephen Ross and general manager Jeff Ireland about two weeks ago, he said he was “at 30,000 feet in the air and felt great about things.”

Then, his son died and “we had a beautiful service eight days ago,” Philbin said. “I can’t tell you how touched we were as a family by the tremendous outpouring from the community.” He coached in the Packers loss last week vs. the Giants, and afterward, he said he felt dejected with what had happened to his life.

“I came home Sunday night and the TV hadn’t been on for a week,” Philbin said. “I don’t know, maybe the Dolphins had already hired a head coach. I talked to my son, Tim, and he asked me what the Dolphins were doing.

Said Joe: “I have no idea what they’re doing.”

“You’re going to go after the job, aren’t you?”

“I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

“You’d better go after that job. Your son, Michael, would have wanted you to go after the job.”

And that immediately changed Joe Philbin’s perspective. Snapped him, for the time being at least, out of his funk. “That,” he said, “was the start of me getting back and getting moving again.”

Bretsky
01-22-2012, 01:28 AM
It's pretty widely reported the Miami really liked some of its defensive coaches and Philbin was ok with keeping some of them on his staff and that factored into the decision. Maybe he won't purge our staff.

MM, you can name Clements the OC anytime now......plz

Joemailman
01-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Post # 10,000!!!

I hope Clements stays, but I'm actually not that worried about it. He's already being interviewed for at least one HC job, so if the Packers don't lose him this year, there's a good chance they will next year. For all we know, MM has someone on his staff who he thinks would make as good an OC as Clements.

Iron Mike
01-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Post # 10,000!!!

I hope Clements stays, but I'm actually not that worried about it. He's already being interviewed for at least one HC job, so if the Packers don't lose him this year, there's a good chance they will next year. For all we know, MM has someone on his staff who he thinks would make as good an OC as Clements.

McAdoo.

MJZiggy
01-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Post # 10,000!!!

Welcome to 5 digits. People are going to want our people. Philbin leaving gives M3 options in preventing folks leaving through promotion. I think M3 does have someone on staff he'd like to promote, but will need to see who gets poached and whose poaching he'd like to prevent.

Pugger
01-22-2012, 09:23 AM
I want Clements to stay because of the work he does with Rodgers. I suppose some of that will change if McC promotes him to OC.

Bretsky
01-22-2012, 11:33 AM
I want Clements to stay because of the work he does with Rodgers. I suppose some of that will change if McC promotes him to OC.

DITTO

The Packers have two outstanding QB coaches on their squad and that is an extreme luxure.

AROD Matt Flynn has been the beneficiaries

mmmdk
01-22-2012, 11:47 AM

Watch out AR...Nick Hill is ready to rumble!

sheepshead
01-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Mike Sherman could become Dolphins offensive coordinator
Jan
1/22/2012 10:42:02 AM
| More

Mike Sherman is likely to get a serious look as Packers offensive coordinator if he doesn’t get the Bucs’ head coaching job according to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post. Sherman and Philbin coached together at Tulane in 1984, Sherman hired Philbin as an assistant offensive line coach with Green Bay in 2003 and is one of Philbin’s closest friends. Sherman and Philbin go back even further — Sherman was Philbin’s coach and English teacher at Worcester Academy in the late 1970s.

sheepshead
01-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Dolphins and Cardinals would have interest in Peyton Manning
Jan
1/22/2012 12:02:23 PM
| More

The Miami Dolphins will closely monitor the health and availability of Colts quarterback Peyton Manning according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

In addition to the Dolphins, Adam Schefter of ESPN says to count the Arizona Cardinals interest in Peyton Manning as the real deal. The Cardinals have had a habit of bringing in veteran stars(Emmitt Smith, Edgerrin James, and Kurt Warner).

Pugger
01-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Jan
| More

Mike Sherman is likely to get a serious look as Packers offensive coordinator if he doesn’t get the Bucs’ head coaching job according to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post. Sherman and Philbin coached together at Tulane in 1984, Sherman hired Philbin as an assistant offensive line coach with Green Bay in 2003 and is one of Philbin’s closest friends. Sherman and Philbin go back even further — Sherman was Philbin’s coach and English teacher at Worcester Academy in the late 1970s.

I hope the Bucs hire Sherman and not Clements.

mission
01-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Jan
| More

I pray to God that's a typo.

Patler
01-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Jan
| More

Mike Sherman as OC in GB? That is a very interesting possibility to think about. The guy knows how to design a running game. He and McCarthy together might be a very interesting combination.

Joemailman
01-22-2012, 12:46 PM
I presume they mean Dolphin's OC. That would make a lot of sense.

Patler
01-22-2012, 12:52 PM
I presume they mean Dolphin's OC. That would make a lot of sense.

Ya, I suppose they do; but the thought of him in GB was interesting to me.

sheepshead
01-22-2012, 12:55 PM
if you read the entire piece it almost has to be a typo. Here's where I got it from:http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/23336/Mike-Sherman-could-become-Dolphins-offensive-coordinator/Default.aspx

mraynrand
01-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Apparently Stubby wants Sherman specifically to coordinate the Packers' 4th and 1 offensive sets.

mraynrand
01-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Sherman was Philbin’s coach and English teacher at Worcester Academy in the late 1970s.

Philbin is looking for payback for the C- on his "Lord of the Flies" essay.

falco
01-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Congratulations are in order to Philbin; sorry to lose him but I'm glad he's having the chance.

We had a pretty good running game for a few years under Sherman there; can't remember the last time we had a back regularly put up big yards. Even Davenport nearly hit 2 bills once.

Smidgeon
01-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Congratulations are in order to Philbin; sorry to lose him but I'm glad he's having the chance.

We had a pretty good running game for a few years under Sherman there; can't remember the last time we had a back regularly put up big yards. Even Davenport nearly hit 2 bills once.

Has zone blocking ever really been the dominant running scheme we expected in GB?

Smeefers
01-24-2012, 07:45 AM
I wish him the best. If he grabs Flynn, at least he can toss it up to Brandon Marshall.

pbmax
01-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Has zone blocking ever really been the dominant running scheme we expected in GB?

No, but there was a fundamental problem from the get go, and the scheme was limited by the tackles M3 and Jags had on hand at the time (Tauscher and Clifton). If Jags did his job, and was not just a loudmouth, he would have told T2 and M3 that the tackles would make the scheme hard to run. Then the men upstairs have a big decision to make.

I suspect Jags was mostly looking for work or climbing a ladder. And so they sort of muddled through, running Alex Gibbs ZBS without the lineman needed to run it the way it was designed.

denverYooper
01-24-2012, 08:33 AM
No, but there was a fundamental problem from the get go, and the scheme was limited by the tackles M3 and Jags had on hand at the time (Tauscher and Clifton). If Jags did his job, and was not just a loudmouth, he would have told T2 and M3 that the tackles would make the scheme hard to run. Then the men upstairs have a big decision to make.

I suspect Jags was mostly looking for work or climbing a ladder. And so they sort of muddled through, running Alex Gibbs ZBS without the lineman needed to run it the way it was designed.

I thought the ZBS was the supposed reason for drafting Moll, Coston, Colledge, etc -- they wanted athletic tackles.

KYPack
01-24-2012, 08:48 AM
I thought the ZBS was the supposed reason for drafting Moll, Coston, Colledge, etc -- they wanted athletic tackles.

Yeah, it was.

& none of 'em made it.

PB has the idea. Tausch and Chad could not run the Gibbs/ZBS. So they put it a modified form of it with less radical initial turns, etc. The other factor was that NFL defenses caught up with the scheme. You had 4-6 NFL teams running the Gibbs/ZBS. Teams learned how to stop the play side & how to defense the counters. Most teams now run about the same system we do. Limited zone blocking mixed in with lead draws and power gap.

Houston and Denver have both junked the Gibbs system and they were the last teams to run the scheme.

woodbuck27
01-24-2012, 09:15 AM

I suspect Jags was mostly working for work or climbing a ladder. And so they sort of muddled through, running Alex Gibbs ZBS without the lineman needed to run it the way it was designed.'

Interesting. How come YOU see that so clearly pbmax? Is that a hindsight observation? or Did you know that scheme wasn't feasible considering player availability and talent need for that schemes success? It seem to me your analysis says that scheme was bogus and doomed to fail as the team was looking at their Tackle position as a LOCK for the next 4-5 seasons. The ZBS wasn't going to work with Clifton and Tausch.

We knew the ZBS would take time given the loss of interiour lineman Wahle and Rivera but your post is an EURIKA!!! moment. That takes me to this:

If Packer fans see that a change is silly or a waste of time..just WRONG. Why not allow fans to give their input. I hate politics in sports and I feel that they exist.Why should fans suffer politics? Really I want to see fans more involved in team decisions especially given that OUR team is owned by Packer fans.

Do the PACKERS need a Fan Base Suggestion BOX? One nailed up and to the LHS of TT's office?

GO PACK GO !

pbmax
01-24-2012, 09:55 AM
'

Interesting. How come YOU see that so clearly pbmax? Is that a hindsight observation? or Did you know that scheme wasn't feasible considering player availability and talent need for that schemes success? It seem to me your analysis says that scheme was bogus and doomed to fail as the team was looking at their Tackle position as a LOCK for the next 4-5 seasons. The ZBS wasn't going to work with Clifton and Tausch.

No way woodie. Hindsight is 20/20 here. Posters like KYPack, ND72 and Nutz each helped illuminate the problem. Each of them has coached or played the O line. The idea that the Packer tackles were part of the problem with the run game was first broached early in M3's tenure, but probably not before Year 2, when people felt more comfortable reaching conclusions and it also began to be reported locally. ND72 was the first guy I remember commenting on it but I am sure others picked up on it as well.

Yooper is also correct that TT took a boatload of athletic tackles to try and run the scheme, but none of them could beat out the old vets and each ended up at Guard. So the old vets held their job and the Packers adjusted by not cutting the backside pursuit to the ground. Some teams run it this way, but the Packers seemed to struggle to. It was not all the Tackles fault, there were problems inside as well, but a scheme change like that probably meant one tackle had to go and be replaced by someone more fit for the system.