PDA

View Full Version : Neal to OLB??

Bossman641
01-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Was reading through McGinn's year end rankings and this caught my eye:

D-line coach Mike Trgovac said some in the organization have been talking about giving Neal a shot at OLB next season

He would have to drop quite a bit of weight and change his muscle mass to become more lean. There has been some speculation here that Neal is too bulked up, and that contributes to his injury issues. Do the Packers feel the same way?

Brandon494
01-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Umm no

sharpe1027
01-23-2012, 10:42 AM
They tried something similar with Kampman and that was a mediocre success at best. However, Kampman was an outstanding high school LBer before he converted to DE at Iowa. Maybe they would want Neal to slim down to improve his pass rush, but a permanent move to OLB seems pretty extreme. But, what do I know?

mission
01-23-2012, 10:59 AM
You need burst to play OLB... Neal doesn't seem to be that kind of athlete.

Harlan Huckleby
01-23-2012, 11:03 AM
I think McGinn is repeating a half-baked, half-hearted remark made by a frustrated coach in informal conversation.

Neal should have been placed on IR this year. I think he needs an offseason and another shot to sink or swim next August.

MadScientist
01-23-2012, 11:07 AM
I think McGinn is repeating a half-baked, half-hearted remark made by a frustrated coach in informal conversation.

Neal should have been placed on IR this year. I think he needs an offseason and another shot to sink or swim next August.
Agreed. If they force him to move to OLB, the options will be sink or sink.

pittstang5
01-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Uh...really? Uh....no.

woodbuck27
01-23-2012, 11:16 AM
They tried something similar with Kampman and that was a mediocre success at best. However, Kampman was an outstanding high school LBer before he converted to DE at Iowa. Maybe they would want Neal to slim down to improve his pass rush, but a permanent move to OLB seems pretty extreme. But, what do I know?

Thinking ...Rabbit.

red
01-23-2012, 11:29 AM
so instead of a DE that can never get on the field because of injuries, we're gonna have a OLB that can never get on the field because of injuries

i still don't see that fixing anything

they think he's too heavy and that causing the injuries. isn't he about the same as he was all through college, or has he fattened way up?

Upnorth
01-23-2012, 11:54 AM
We drafted him to fill Justin Harell's sport on the IR, I don't think he could fill an olb's spot on the IR.

denverYooper
01-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Agree 100%. The only part that might ring true is that they think Neal needs to drop a bit of weight because they feel his frame doesn't support his ability to bench a VW.

pbmax
01-23-2012, 12:08 PM
A little HGH will clear this joint weakness right up.

smuggler
01-23-2012, 12:08 PM
It's two years into Neal's career. He is a 3 technique DT in a 4-3 and a DE in the 3-4. How can you expect him to move to OLB? That's preposterous.

George Cumby
01-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Hell no.

Fritz
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Wow. A second round pick, too. Certainly they envisioned him as an end in the 3-4. Are the constant injuries what's changing the thought process?

Cheesehead Craig
01-23-2012, 03:51 PM
It's two years into Neal's career. He is a 3 technique DT in a 4-3 and a DE in the 3-4. How can you expect him to move to OLB? That's preposterous.

It's lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!

http://burningantsblog.com/slewfooters/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Jackie_Chiles_in_The_Maestro_Seinfeld.jpg

bobblehead
01-24-2012, 07:38 AM
It just might work.

KYPack
01-24-2012, 08:29 AM
What's the move after this, Peprah to fullback?

pbmax
01-24-2012, 08:30 AM
You know Frankenbacker could get to the QB if asked.

mraynrand
01-24-2012, 10:57 AM
You know Frankenbacker could get to the QB if asked.

That's just because he has his cell phone number.

Lurker64
01-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Well, they could really use a 265-lb "crush the pocket" guy opposite Matthews (to play Woodley opposite Matthews's Harrison)... but I really don't see that guy being Neal.

Smidgeon
01-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Well, they could really use a 265-lb "crush the pocket" guy opposite Matthews (to play Woodley opposite Matthews's Harrison)... but I really don't see that guy being Neal.

How athletic was the guy at the combine?

Freak Out
01-24-2012, 05:33 PM

Wasn't Harrison cut a couple of times before he really came on? I think we should cut Neal....then resign him. Maybe he'll come back playing like James Harrison.

mission
01-24-2012, 06:14 PM

I thought that guy was So'oto :-(

pbmax
01-24-2012, 10:03 PM

Woodley would look good in green and gold. Even injured he could improve the pass rush. At one point of that draft I thought he would slide to them.

Packers4Glory
01-27-2012, 08:23 AM
the tossing of shit against the wall hoping something sticks is starting.

swede
01-27-2012, 10:52 AM

I'm sure they know what they are doing.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/monkey-1.jpg

Tarlam!
01-27-2012, 10:58 AM

OK, man, I hate your pro Favre shit - but this was a hysterically funny post in my view. I'm still cleaning snot from my keys!

Lurker64
01-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Trgo talk about using Cullen Jenkins as an OLB, back when he was a Packer, and yet Mr. Jenkins was the only down lineman in the 1-6-4 package?

I think that perhaps the OLB coach is more qualified to figure out who plays OLB than the DL coach.

pbmax
01-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Well, they did practice Cullen at OLB and he was not a happy camper.

In Neal's case, it could be the same people advocating for the switch of perhaps the training staff if they really think he should not be carrying that much weight.

But Neal might be his own worst enemy here. The end of season article about him said he would stay awake to work out rather than sleep while rehabbing. That doesn't sound like a solid approach to long term health.

Packers4Glory
01-30-2012, 02:53 PM
OK, man, I hate your pro Favre shit - but this was a hysterically funny post in my view. I'm still cleaning snot from my keys!

haha I am not pro-him like you might think. I'm just not anti-him either.

But I'd said in a diff thread, the FA thread I think, that the approach for fixing the D would be to bring in a bunch of shit and hope something sticks. Then this lil "nugget" came out about Neal.

Packers4Glory
01-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Well, they did practice Cullen at OLB and he was not a happy camper.

In Neal's case, it could be the same people advocating for the switch of perhaps the training staff if they really think he should not be carrying that much weight.

But Neal might be his own worst enemy here. The end of season article about him said he would stay awake to work out rather than sleep while rehabbing. That doesn't sound like a solid approach to long term health.

which is surprising because anyone who knows anything about training knows that rest is as important of a component of a program as the actual training itself. You heal and recover much slower w/o proper rest...so yeah, his being a big dummy is working against him.

Fritz
01-31-2012, 06:43 PM
I think this working out shit has gotten psychological with him. He's addicted.

Fritz
01-31-2012, 06:46 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MD4uCJKwqyY/SKXZgKypL-I/AAAAAAAAAc0/zbf35vv8OX4/s400/poop.jpg

Guiness
01-31-2012, 07:20 PM
which is surprising because anyone who knows anything about training knows that rest is as important of a component of a program as the actual training itself. You heal and recover much slower w/o proper rest...so yeah, his being a big dummy is working against him.

When I was in school, and struggling to maintain weight during the season, I received some sage advice from a roommate who played varsity hockey:

"If you don't have to run, walk. If you don't have to walk, sit down. If you don't have to sit down, sleep"

Lurker64
01-31-2012, 07:24 PM
I think this working out shit has gotten psychological with him. He's addicted.

I don't know if it's that exactly, but in terms of his physique Neal is a normal kind of guy who turned himself into a monster in the weight room, and those guys often struggle a lot with injuries. Possibly the thought is just to do something that's going to make him less apt to hurt himself.

George Cumby
01-31-2012, 08:38 PM
haha I am not pro-him like you might think. I'm just not anti-him either.

But I'd said in a diff thread, the FA thread I think, that the approach for fixing the D would be to bring in a bunch of shit and hope something sticks. Then this lil "nugget" came out about Neal.

All well and good, but your avatar RULES.