PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of a Missed Field Goal

pbmax
01-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Great article on how even professional football players can be caught unaware on the sideline.

Billy Cundiff Rushed His Kick Because Of An Error On The Gillette Stadium Scoreboard

http://deadspin.com/5878655/billy-cundiff-rushed-his-kick-because-of-an-error-on-the-gillette-stadium-scoreboard

Its a great read and its not really blaming Belicheck. Well, probably not.

MadtownPacker
01-23-2012, 08:11 PM
What about that badger choker Lee Evans not making the TD?

Anyways, this article smells like some 2007 kharma will be coming back to NE.

KYPack
01-23-2012, 09:22 PM
The Hoody lucked out that FA DBack knocked that ball out of Evans paws on that toss.

Cundiff did a nice demo on how tricky a short FG from the right hash can be for a right footed kicker.

Can you imagine going back to that Raven locker room with Suggs and all them beasts snarling around in there?

Cundiff may have considered leaving his shit and booking back to the hotel.

Tarlam!
01-24-2012, 02:36 AM
Can you imagine going back to that Raven locker room with Suggs and all them beasts snarling around in there?

I missed a penalty in a soccer final. I missed a few "PATs" in Ruggers. It sucks, missing free kicks.

wootah
01-24-2012, 02:41 AM

http://lockerroomcancer.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/monstar8.jpg

Poor little Billy... I'd be more concerned if Ray Lewis would invite me to a party in the next couple of days.

woodbuck27
01-24-2012, 06:24 AM
Isn't the FINAL Analysis in this?

The Ravens, of course, could have made all this confusion moot by calling a timeout. Instead, coach John Harbaugh decided to let Cundiff run on the field and kick.

Thanks for this thread. A very interesting story. To add some explanation to a shocking missed FG. As aspiring NFL fans can we get enough information to build on OUR knowledge base? Personally I eat this stuff up or digest as much as possible to grow.

woodbuck27
01-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Related stories:

"You Don’t Have To Worry About Me Jumping Off A Ledge": An Interview With Billy Cundiff

http://deadspin.com/5878572/you-dont-have-to-worry-about-me-jumping-off-a-ledge-an-interview-with-billy-cundiff

and........

What Went Wrong On Billy Cundiff’s Missed Kick?

http://deadspin.com/5878329/what-went-wrong-on-billy-cundiffs-missed-kick

KYPack
01-24-2012, 08:13 AM
One of the thoughts running thru Harbaugh and the Raven's coaches mind had to be Jason Garrett's classic fuck-up in Dallas when he "iced" his own kicker and cost them the ball game.

Yer damned if ya do & damned if ya don't!

pbmax
01-24-2012, 08:22 AM
One of the thoughts running thru Harbaugh and the Raven's coaches mind had to be Jason Garrett's classic fuck-up in Dallas when he "iced" his own kicker and cost them the ball game.

Exactly. I have read elsewhere the kicker can ask for a timeout so there is no rush, but I could understand that no kicker wants to be responsible for that decision. However, at the end of the game, that TO isn't going to be good for anything else.

smuggler
01-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Not quite. Garrett didn't ice his own kicker. He called timeout a moment before the snap and forced a rekick. Different than calling a TO well before the play starts.

Pugger
01-24-2012, 01:26 PM

But in that instance the cowgirl kicker was all set to go and the TO was called right before the snap. It his case Harbaugh should have called a time out well before they all rushed that FG attempt.

Pugger
01-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Not quite. Garrett didn't ice his own kicker. He called timeout a moment before the snap and forced a rekick. Different than calling a TO well before the play starts.

GMTA! ;-)

KYPack
01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Omigod!!

I disagree with the Smuggler and the Pug.

Garrett didn't ice his own kicker?

That's the only time I remember the "ice the kicker" trick actually worked.

it couldn't have happened to a better Cowboy.

Pugger
01-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Of course Garrett iced his own kicker. What I'm saying is Harbaugh taking a time out there would NOT be icing his own kicker. They rushed that entire play and Cundiff missed it badly.

Tarlam!
01-25-2012, 01:29 AM
it couldn't have happened to a better Cowboy.

Didn't it allow the Giants to head up to Lambeau and kick the Packers in the balls?.

smuggler
01-25-2012, 11:43 AM
The Giants falling on their faces last year got us in the playoffs, so it's hard to complain.

In 1998 (we NEED MORE POINTS) and in 2006 the Giants got the last wild card instead of Green Bay.

woodbuck27
01-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Did anyone see the angle that the balls laces were in i the holders final ball position? Were the laces pointed directly at the FG upright? **

I watched that whole thing again last night and now IMO this thread won't wash as any excuse as to Cundiff's whiff of an easy kick for three points to send that game to OT.

IMO...Billy Cundiff was on the field with reasonjable time to make that kick. He looked relaxed and set to kick that sucker through the uprights. He didn't appear rushed.

I noticed in coverage Sunday ( replay ). One camera angle showed that the holder didn't get the threads pointed straight at the middle of the FG. The laces was rotated about 30-40 degrees CCW. Does that matter?

That withstanding....

Billy Cundiff simply turned it over....hooked that fricken ball. Any other time he's kick that ball through in that spot 10 out of 10 times with one eye patched. He hooked that kick...PERIOD. Just the way it sometimes goes; ends up surprizing all of the players,coach's and fans watching that game.

I was most impress'd with Ray Lewis's speech after that loss. Yes ... Pro athletes are paid well to handle defeat with proper dignity in terms related to the observations of others. Winning or losing with CLASS translates to accepting it all with humility,not suffering. Each player must alm to know what he contributed positive or negative to the outcome. That goes for the HC and coach's. The organization must shoulder the agony of any defeat. not put it on any one person. Analysis should not suffer punishment unless that determines habit that's damning.

GO PACKERS!

mraynrand
01-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Did anyone see the angle that the balls laces were in i the holders final ball position? Were the laces pointed directly at the FG upright? **

no, they were partially rotated. It was all that Sam Koch's fault, everyone knows that. If he had held the ball, laces out, like he was supposed to, Billy would never have missed that kick. Sam Koch should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?