PDA

View Full Version : Capers' New Position?

SavedByGrace
01-24-2012, 07:31 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-defensive-coordinator-talks-with-raiders-mc3tm7j-137938333.html

Smeefers
01-24-2012, 07:38 AM
We're going to loose a lot of personnel this year. Lets hope he's not one of them. Regardless of the poor season, I think he's the best DC we've had since Fritz.

pbmax
01-24-2012, 07:43 AM
I always thought Donatell got the shaft and his defenses began to sag because of a talent drain. Though he never found success as a DC elsewhere. Anyone else with me?

I don't think Dom gets a shot at a 3rd run. I do hope Moss or someone leaves so some new wrinkles are added.

Tarlam!
01-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Anyone else with me?

3rd and 26 Donatell?

HarveyWallbangers
01-24-2012, 09:35 AM
3rd and 26 Donatell?

4th and 26

pbmax
01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
3rd and 26 Donatell?

His call was not a bad one. But with rookie Nick Barnett getting fascinated with a meaningless TE motion (and not getting his proper drop) and Darren Sharper being a second late and a dollar short again, it was executed poorly. I thought this was Mike Sherman's worst moment, laying the blame for it on his hand picked DC.

Deputy Nutz
01-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Sherman should have just packed his shit after that game and resigned, it was all down hill from there. Lucky for him most people forgot about his decision making on the series before the 4-26 when he chose to punt it at his own 40 yard line on 4th and 1/2 yard to go. His shit bag punter kicks it out of the endzone netting a whooping 20 yards of field position. You seal the game if you get that first down. Heck I think the ball was inside the 40 yard line.

Smidgeon
01-24-2012, 10:48 AM
I always thought Donatell got the shaft and his defenses began to sag because of a talent drain. Though he never found success as a DC elsewhere. Anyone else with me?

I don't think Dom gets a shot at a 3rd run. I do hope Moss or someone leaves so some new wrinkles are added.

+1 But I want to keep Perry.

smuggler
01-24-2012, 11:00 AM
I actually like that some of the coaches are getting poached. It keeps us from getting too fat and stagnant.

Sherman should have just packed his shit after that game and resigned, it was all down hill from there. Lucky for him most people forgot about his decision making on the series before the 4-26 when he chose to punt it at his own 40 yard line on 4th and 1/2 yard to go. His shit bag punter kicks it out of the endzone netting a whooping 20 yards of field position. You seal the game if you get that first down. Heck I think the ball was inside the 40 yard line.

Usually, I don't wholehearted agree with your posing. Mostly based on how you say it more than what you're saying. However, you are 100% correct on this. The way we lost that game was by not going for it on 4th and 1 from the Philly 37 or whatever it was.

pbmax
01-24-2012, 11:39 AM

Yep. After that it was clear the only voice he was listening to was in his head.

pbmax
01-24-2012, 11:42 AM
+1 But I want to keep Perry.

I understand, but Capers is young enough that Perry is not exactly DC in waiting. Plus a new guy might bring something else to the table. I am not sure, but if Perry had a voice loud enough and trusted enough to effect a change in the scheme, it would have been heard already.

At this point I am too fascinated by the claim that Capers fire zone blitzes are predictable. Its easy to make that claim after a team has a bad year and its possible it only matters because the personnel are quite up to snuff.

Pugger
01-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Maybe this is why our assistants are getting interviews for positions other than HC. Moss struck out in Oakland.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/01/joe-philbin-knows-packers-staff-is-off-limits.html

pbmax
01-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Good article, it seems more like a "no lateral moves" stricture rather than a blanket no staff policy. But what is the connection to Moss and Oakland?

smuggler
01-24-2012, 02:33 PM
You mean other than Reggie McKenzie?

gbgary
01-24-2012, 02:56 PM
capers and moss out of the running...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/137972223.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

GREAT!!

Guiness
01-24-2012, 06:09 PM
I don't think Moss gets an HC positin, but what about moving up to DC this year? I wonder how much the D's performance this year hurt his chances.

pittstang5
01-24-2012, 07:58 PM

UGH..

Ahman Green was a bulldozer that entire game. Why, why, didn't Sherman just let him run it on that 4th and 1.

pbmax
01-24-2012, 10:05 PM
UGH..

Ahman Green was a bulldozer that entire game. Why, why, didn't Sherman just let him run it on that 4th and 1.

Cause Hugh Douglas (?) got by Tausch and stopped him at the goal line earlier. Sherm was a cautious guy.

Pugger
01-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Are the Bucs the only team still looking for a HC?

Gunakor
01-25-2012, 12:52 AM

Didn't Donatell find success in Atlanta for a season or 2 after Green Bay let him go? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

smuggler
01-25-2012, 10:47 AM
I thought he coached Denver, also, though that may have been before coming to Green Bay.

Pugger
01-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Good ol' Shermy might be a good candidate for Miami's OC.

ND72
01-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Colts are still looking for a HC.

Donatell did find success in ATL after GB with Mora...then Vick was arrested and the team died around them.

woodbuck27
01-25-2012, 12:46 PM
I actually like that some of the coaches are getting poached. It keeps us from getting too fat and stagnant.

Usually, I don't wholehearted agree with your posing. Mostly based on how you say it more than what you're saying. However, you are 100% correct on this. The way we lost that game was by not going for it on 4th and 1 from the Philly 37 or whatever it was.
. Both yours and Deputy Nutz's point are well taken.

The 4th and 26 was alot like 'the Catch 2 loss to San Fran.' and the catch that Nicks made at the end of the first half on Jan. 15, 2012. All Give US a Fricken' break moments in Packer history 'of the DARK' moments. I will always go with ' the Catch 2 ' by T. O., as the defining moment of disbelief and Packer failure.

mraynrand
01-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Colts are still looking for a HC.

Donatell did find success in ATL after GB with Mora...then Vick was arrested and the team died around them.

Donaask, Donatell. Isn't he the 49ers d-back coach? Add Carlos Rodgers and Donatell, and you have a pretty good secondary...

mraynrand
01-25-2012, 01:27 PM
. Both yours and Deputy Nutz's point are well taken.

The 4th and 26 was alot like 'the Catch 2 loss to San Fran.' and the catch that Nicks made at the end of the first half on Jan. 15, 2012. All Give US a Fricken' break moments in Packer history 'of the DARK' moments. I will always go with ' the Catch 2 ' by T. O., as the defining moment of disbelief and Packer failure.

you have to do a lot better than that. Sunday, Dec. 7th, 1980. In a re-enactment of Pearl Harbor Day, the Packers get absolutely spanked and humiliated (easy, Harlan) by the Chicago Bears 61-7, giving up about 600 yards of offense. What could be worse. How about Starr whining about them 'rubbing it in.'

How about Randy Wright fainting in the huddle at Minnesota in a 42-7 loss in 1986 - in the midst of a 1-9 start to the season "You saw it" Gregg said tersely in a post-game interview, when asked what he thought of the game. Up until this year's game at Lambeau, that was the most lopsided game in the rivalry's history.

Those playoff losses were nothing. At least they were good enough to be in the playoffs.

hoosier
01-25-2012, 06:58 PM
you have to do a lot better than that. Sunday, Dec. 7th, 1980. In a re-enactment of Pearl Harbor Day, the Packers get absolutely spanked and humiliated (easy, Harlan) by the Chicago Bears 61-7, giving up about 600 yards of offense. What could be worse. How about Starr whining about them 'rubbing it in.'

How about Randy Wright fainting in the huddle at Minnesota in a 42-7 loss in 1986 - in the midst of a 1-9 start to the season "You saw it" Gregg said tersely in a post-game interview, when asked what he thought of the game. Up until this year's game at Lambeau, that was the most lopsided game in the rivalry's history.

Those playoff losses were nothing. At least they were good enough to be in the playoffs.

That kind of begs the question of which is worse: abject humiliation or unfulfilled potential? I will say it again: I coulda had class. I coulda been a contenda'.

gbgary
01-25-2012, 08:00 PM
How about Randy Wright fainting in the huddle at Minnesota in a 42-7 loss in 1986

whaaat?

swede
01-25-2012, 10:40 PM
...Sunday, Dec. 7th, 1980. In a re-enactment of Pearl Harbor Day, the Packers get absolutely spanked and humiliated (easy, Harlan) by the Chicago Bears 61-7, giving up about 600 yards of offense. What could be worse. How about Starr whining about them 'rubbing it in.'

That was the game where a Bear's coach who had been fired by the Packers broke Zeke Bratkowski's "waggle code". Basically, Zeke was signaling every offensive play directly to the Bear's defense.

woodbuck27
01-26-2012, 06:42 AM
UGH..

I'm just guessing that he got ALL technically stupid. He should have taken that '4th down gift' as the Eagles we're in disarray as i recall it. Take the quick shot on 4th down and re-set. That error in playcalling led to the eventual 4th and 26 cufuffel and subsequently to Brett Favre taking alot of the heat for the loss...

in.......... just another Green Bay Packer sad tale........... of just another Super Bowl bid suddenly gone south.

woodbuck27
01-26-2012, 06:47 AM
By the way that article just makes me CRINGE ! It's alot of information. ALOT....of information.

KYPack
01-26-2012, 08:22 AM
That was the game where a Bear's coach who had been fired by the Packers broke Zeke Bratkowski's "waggle code". Basically, Zeke was signaling every offensive play directly to the Bear's defense.

Buddy Ryan and his evil minions on the Bears D staff