PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers and Hit to the Head In Giants Game

pbmax
01-24-2012, 01:00 PM
During his radio show after the loss, Rodgers did not want to discuss specifics about his health, but he did say he was told there would be no impediment to his participation in the Pro Bowl.

I did not hear the entire interview so I could have missed something. But was he talking about a specific ailment or his overall health? Or perhaps about the hit to his head that was never called?

Because if he was, it could have been part of a pattern:

Why The Giants Targeted A Player Prone To Concussions: http://deadspin.com/5878686/why-the-giants-targeted-a-player-prone-to-concussions

Pugger
01-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Man, I am surprised this isn't getting more coverage. One would think the way Goodell talks about preventing concussions this would be a bigger story.

I don't recall Rodgers getting hit in the head in that game...?

pbmax
01-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Man, I am surprised this isn't getting more coverage. One would think the way Goodell talks about preventing concussions this would be a bigger story.

I don't recall Rodgers getting hit in the head in that game...?

He was outside the pocket and one Giant was already tackling him. A second player came in high and hit him helmet to helmet I believe. Not exactly a vicious example, though completely unnecessary.

To be honest though, this game did not feel like the Washington where he got his bell rung and then could not do anything productive but run. Didn't even seem the same as the Miami game when he still seemed to be recovering.

Patler
01-24-2012, 02:06 PM
There was another instance on a run by Rodgers that didn't result in anything, but demonstrated what the Giants were trying for. Rodgers ran up the middle, was hit low and lunged forward to get a 1st down. A second defender came in like a missile from Rodgers left, with forearm horizontal aiming for Rodgers helmet. Rodgers turned and saw it, tucked his head and hunched back and down from the waist, sort of puling his head back. The guy missed. If you watch it in slow motion, it is very clear what the defender was going for, and that Rodgers saw it coming just in time to avoid a pretty hard hit to the helmet.

He can argue all he wants, but the attempt was not to ensure the tackle, it was to deliver as hard a hit as possible to Rodgers' head. In slow motion it is readily obvious. I'm not saying it was illegal under current rules, but if they are serious about reducing concussions, they have to do something to reduce attempts like that.

sheepshead
01-24-2012, 03:03 PM
I told you! A buddy of mine (a giants fan) aid he thought Rodgers played much of that game in a fog. He picked up something in his eyes early on.

Deputy Nutz
01-24-2012, 03:18 PM
I told you! A buddy of mine (a giants fan) aid he thought Rodgers played much of that game in a fog. He picked up something in his eyes early on.

That look in Rodger's eyes, is called "fear". I didn't see anything out of the usually from the Giants. I think this is almost as ridiculous as the personal foul called for hitting Rodgers in the armpit.

gbgary
01-24-2012, 03:29 PM
the only rodgers head hit i remember was when he was being tackled and he fell into some guy about chest high. refs called a head hit penalty that i thought was pretty bogus but was glad to get. i saw nothing helmit to helmit.

smuggler
01-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Rodgers head hit some other lineman's knee when he was getting taken down by the first lineman. Was a sketchy call, but his head did make a pretty big animated movement, so I can see why they noticed it.

gbgary
01-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Rodgers head hit some other lineman's knee when he was getting taken down by the first lineman. Was a sketchy call, but his head did make a pretty big animated movement, so I can see why they noticed it.

that's the play i was thinking about.

Brando19
01-24-2012, 05:13 PM
I remember a roughing the passer call in which one of the Giants hit rodgers and his helmet lifted up into rodgers helmet.

Freak Out
01-24-2012, 05:25 PM
the only rodgers head hit i remember was when he was being tackled and he fell into some guy about chest high. refs called a head hit penalty that i thought was pretty bogus but was glad to get. i saw nothing helmit to helmit.

I think you are suffering from a concussion right now.

denverYooper
01-24-2012, 05:28 PM
During his radio show after the loss, Rodgers did not want to discuss specifics about his health, but he did say he was told there would be no impediment to his participation in the Pro Bowl.

I did not hear the entire interview so I could have missed something. But was he talking about a specific ailment or his overall health? Or perhaps about the hit to his head that was never called?

Because if he was, it could have been part of a pattern:

Why The Giants Targeted A Player Prone To Concussions: http://deadspin.com/5878686/why-the-giants-targeted-a-player-prone-to-concussions

It sounded as though there was a specific injury that he sought advice on.

denverYooper
01-24-2012, 05:34 PM
That look in Rodger's eyes, is called "fear". I didn't see anything out of the usually from the Giants. I think this is almost as ridiculous as the personal foul called for hitting Rodgers in the armpit.

I didn't think he looked afraid, just frustrated with the drops and the musical tackle. The Rodgersface -- like when things are going shitty and he's thinking, "aww, fuckin' hell Jermichael finish your damn route". In fact, I think that gets to his head more than a concussion does. Sometimes he gets a little pissy when things break down and then he gets off.

bobblehead
01-24-2012, 07:16 PM
There was another instance on a run by Rodgers that didn't result in anything, but demonstrated what the Giants were trying for. Rodgers ran up the middle, was hit low and lunged forward to get a 1st down. A second defender came in like a missile from Rodgers left, with forearm horizontal aiming for Rodgers helmet. Rodgers turned and saw it, tucked his head and hunched back and down from the waist, sort of puling his head back. The guy missed. If you watch it in slow motion, it is very clear what the defender was going for, and that Rodgers saw it coming just in time to avoid a pretty hard hit to the helmet.

He can argue all he wants, but the attempt was not to ensure the tackle, it was to deliver as hard a hit as possible to Rodgers' head. In slow motion it is readily obvious. I'm not saying it was illegal under current rules, but if they are serious about reducing concussions, they have to do something to reduce attempts like that.

I learned from a freshman high school coach to lay the forearm into the ball carriers helmet if someone had him wrapped up. Its as likely to cause a fumble as punching the ball, and much easier to target. To think that NFL players don't do the same is naive. The early 2000's, I always would comment to my friends that 2 teams would spear RB's helmet to helmet after they were wrapped up...Tampa Bay and Minnesota. Its no coincidence that I made a lot of money betting against their opponents the NEXT week. This is the game. Would be nice if it weren't.

bobblehead
01-24-2012, 07:17 PM

I agree with this. I though Rodgers played just fine, but when you hit guys in the hands and they either drop it, or fumble it two steps later its hard to wrack up big numbers.

gbgary
01-24-2012, 07:45 PM
I think you are suffering from a concussion right now.

:lol: if there was a helmet to helmet on AR i missed it. there were times when my head was down, my face in my hands, and my eyes closed. i'm day to day now.

Patler
01-24-2012, 08:33 PM
I learned from a freshman high school coach to lay the forearm into the ball carriers helmet if someone had him wrapped up. Its as likely to cause a fumble as punching the ball, and much easier to target. To think that NFL players don't do the same is naive. The early 2000's, I always would comment to my friends that 2 teams would spear RB's helmet to helmet after they were wrapped up...Tampa Bay and Minnesota. Its no coincidence that I made a lot of money betting against their opponents the NEXT week. This is the game. Would be nice if it weren't.

Sure, but if they are serious about minimizing concussions, they have to try to stop it. Doesn't matter how long it has been around or at what level it is taught. They call the unintended, accidental hits to the head in some situations while allowing intentional hits ar attempted hits in others. A head and the brain inside it are not more important to protect just because they are poised in the pocket and not running down field, or because they belong to a QB and not a tackle.

Personally, I couldn't care less if they do anything about it or not. Players take the risk when they decide to play, just as boxers do when the decide to fight. But to argue one thing and allow something inconsistent with your public proclamations is disingenuous at best. To penalize any hit to the head in some situations, even if completely inadvertent; while allowing intentional shots to the head in others is ridiculous.

Patler
01-24-2012, 08:39 PM
I agree with this. I though Rodgers played just fine, but when you hit guys in the hands and they either drop it, or fumble it two steps later its hard to wrack up big numbers.

I have to agree with this too. I sat down and watched the game again the end of last week, and Rodgers played better than I thought he had. He and his receivers were not of one-mind as they have been in many games, but Rodgers didn't play all that poorly either.

pbmax
01-24-2012, 10:01 PM

That call was questionable. But the helmet to helmet I am speaking about came later as Rodgers was flushed to his left I believe (Packer sideline?).

smuggler
01-25-2012, 10:19 AM

I'd be afraid to lose in the playoffs, too, if my wideouts couldn't get open and when I hit the underneath routes, the backs and tightends drop every other throw.

Freak Out
01-25-2012, 01:00 PM
:lol: if there was a helmet to helmet on AR i missed it. there were times when my head was down, my face in my hands, and my eyes closed. i'm day to day now.

I thought you were woozy because of some spelling errors I noticed. :)

gbgary
01-25-2012, 02:33 PM
ooooh. i make it a point to never spell helmut the same way in consecutive posts. just i little rule i have.

http://www.andydobson.net/images/helnut_kohl.jpg

Freak Out
01-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Kohl!

mraynrand
01-25-2012, 05:21 PM
ooooh. i make it a point to never spell helmut the same way in consecutive posts. just i little rule i have.

I know of Helmut - he is a gorgeous bitch.

http://thumbnails.hulu.com/583/40035583/40035583_384x288_generated.jpg

gbgary
01-25-2012, 07:17 PM
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/lol.gif

Tarlam!
01-25-2012, 07:48 PM
No shit, but my dad's first name was Helmut. He used his second name, Bruno. His 3rd name, Heinrich wasn't much better. It didn't help squat that supposedly we derive of a line of obsolete counts - I said cOunts. I have never found any proof, though.

gbgary
01-25-2012, 07:53 PM
good thing emphasized that O.

bobblehead
01-26-2012, 05:06 AM
Sure, but if they are serious about minimizing concussions, they have to try to stop it. Doesn't matter how long it has been around or at what level it is taught. They call the unintended, accidental hits to the head in some situations while allowing intentional hits ar attempted hits in others. A head and the brain inside it are not more important to protect just because they are poised in the pocket and not running down field, or because they belong to a QB and not a tackle.

Personally, I couldn't care less if they do anything about it or not. Players take the risk when they decide to play, just as boxers do when the decide to fight. But to argue one thing and allow something inconsistent with your public proclamations is disingenuous at best. To penalize any hit to the head in some situations, even if completely inadvertent; while allowing intentional shots to the head in others is ridiculous.

Oh, I agree. My post wasn't to defend things, siimply to say its been around forever, its coached and its tolerated, but yet the NFL makes stupid rules pretending to address it.