PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren's respect for Wolf keeps growing.

woodbuck27
01-28-2012, 10:10 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article_spofford/article-1/Holmgrens-respect-for-Wolf-keeps-growing/0b387eb6-4fb3-45b7-ae69-8837aef89cdb?campaign=e120127

** Key Notes fr. this article:

** Holmgren said he and Wolf “never had a real argument,” ... which may be a bit of a stretch, but the respect they had for one another carried them though the difficult times.

** “He was at his very best with me after we lost a tough game, and that’s tough to do,” said Holmgren, who will have Wolf present him at the induction banquet on July 21.

“I’m learning that myself in my current position. You feel bad, but your job is to support the coach as best you can.”

** The team had been groomed though its formative years by outstanding coaches, as Holmgren’s first staff in 1992 included five future head coaches.

** One key to getting over the hump was Holmgren getting quarterback Brett Favre to cut back on his gambling mentality in the pocket.

Holmgren recalled a conversation he had with Favre during which the quarterback said “that’s just the way I play,” and Holmgren responded,

“If you play that way, we’re a 9-7 team. That’s what we are. We want to be better than that, you want to be better than that.”

Eventually Favre, who went on to win three straight league MVP awards from 1995-97, sat next to him on the plane ride home after a big road win and finally told his coach,

“I get it.”

“For a teacher or a coach to have your star player come up and say that to you, that’s about as good as it gets,” Holmgren said.

** The Packers won Super Bowl XXXI following the 1996 season, returned to the Super Bowl the next year and then had a shot at a third straight NFC title snuffed out by San Francisco in the 1998 wild-card game.

That game ended on Steve Young’s dramatic, last-second touchdown pass to Terrell Owens, but the Packers would have won the game had a fumble earlier on that drive by San Francisco’s Jerry Rice been reviewable. Rice had been ruled down, and at the time, a down-by-contact call could not be reviewed because the play was considered over.

Please ...CLICK LINK above for the entire story. It covers alot.

GO PACK GO !

Tarlam!
01-28-2012, 10:20 AM
I knew you'd get Favre in again. FUCK FAVRE ALREADY!

Scott Campbell
01-28-2012, 11:20 AM
I knew you'd get Favre in again. FUCK FAVRE ALREADY!

Yeah, but he left out Randy Moss. :lol:

Tarlam!
01-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Hahaha.

MadtownPacker
01-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Great way to bring the place up folks.......

Tarlam!
01-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Great way to bring the place up folks.......

Get off my back or be more specific. I've been posting like stupid trying to encourage more discussion. And I'll always throw in a FUCK FAVRE when i get the chance. You know me.

MadtownPacker
01-28-2012, 11:55 AM
I can do what I want. What discussion? The giants rolled on the G&G and fucked up a great season. At this point I just want the superbowl to pass so I can find out if my squares hit and then begin redoing this place before the draft. I would have to say Woody did the better job of stirring up some discussion even though some light trolling was involved.

Tarlam!
01-28-2012, 12:01 PM
OK. I can read between the lines. Good luck, then, and take care. And, FUCK FAVRE!

mraynrand
01-28-2012, 07:11 PM
One wonders what Holmgren thought when Wolf called his successful Superbowl winning team a "Fart in the wind." I bet that went over real well.

hoosier
01-28-2012, 07:25 PM
One wonders what Holmgren thought when Wolf called his successful Superbowl winning team a "Fart in the wind." I bet that went over real well.

Somehow I bet he heard it as an obscure reference to Holmy's flatuance, which I don't doubt is as bad or worse than Favre's favrts.

sheepshead
01-28-2012, 07:39 PM
who gives a rats ass what Mike Holmgren thinks.

Jimx29
01-29-2012, 12:56 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article_spofford/article-1/Holmgrens-respect-for-Wolf-keeps-growing/0b387eb6-4fb3-45b7-ae69-8837aef89cdb?campaign=e120127

** The team had been groomed though its formative years by outstanding coaches, as Holmgren’s first staff in 1992 included five future head coaches.

Pretty cool stat

http://i40.tinypic.com/24e6y36.jpg

Pugger
01-29-2012, 08:31 AM
If you look at that photo of those coaches it is remarkable how many of them went on and had success with other teams.

Joemailman
01-29-2012, 08:36 AM
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2001-01-12/sports/0101120032_1_rison-raiders-super-bowl

Rison won a Super Bowl with the Green Bay Packers in 1996. He was not invited to the White House with the team after signing with the Kansas City Chiefs that off-season.

He played in only five regular-season games for the Packers after the Jacksonville Jaguars released him 10 weeks into the season.

In the Packers' 35-21 Super Bowl win over the New England Patriots, Rison had the opening touchdown, a 54-yard bomb from quarterback Brett Favre.

"I don't even know where it is," Rison said of the ring. "How Desmond Howard was treated, how I was treated, no. To hell with that ring. [Former Packers coach] Mike Holmgren lied. That team has never been the same."

As for his Super Bowl ring, rumor was he threw it in a river. Rison dispelled that yesterday. "I got this cool chick," Rison said. "She's got it. She's handling it for me."

KYPack
01-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Desmond Howard went payday. The GBP were not going to pay him the money he could get on the FA market.

Wolf purposely turned his back on Andre. Rison quickly took over a lot of power in the GB locker room and Wolf wanted him gone. He went over a thousand yards for KC after he left here, but there was a reason he played for 7 teams.

pbmax
01-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Desmond Howard went payday. The GBP were not going to pay him the money he could get on the FA market.

Wolf purposely turned his back on Andre. Rison quickly took over a lot of power in the GB locker room and Wolf wanted him gone. He went over a thousand yards for KC after he left here, but there was a reason he played for 7 teams.

Desmond signed with the Raiders back when Al loved Super Bowl MVPs (Larry Brown).

I loved those stories though. Reggie came to Holmgren before a playoff game and said they should let Andre speak to the team before the game. M1 asked Reggie is he had lost his mind. :lol:

I also remember reports that Holmgren (probably Wolf too) thought Andre would not cotton to being 3rd man on the totem pole if Brooks made it back from his injury. Plus, they still had Beebe, didn't they?