PDA

View Full Version : Would Like to Read This, Be Smarter: Packers Salary Cap

pbmax
01-28-2012, 04:12 PM
OK, so Packer Report is claiming there is virtually no space that is unspoken for next year. Does anyone with a subscription wish to summarize or paraphrase in a copyright friendly and fair use way?

http://gnb.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=1152632&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http://gnb.scout.com/2/1152632.html

Best sources known to me:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/green-bay-packers/salary/67046?q=green-bay-packers

red
01-28-2012, 06:10 PM
i don't know any exact numbers

but clifton and driver are both due big numbers. they both might be cut

grant probably won't be resigned IMO

if woodson keeps playing, his contract will probably get redone to a much nicer cap number

gbgary
01-29-2012, 10:08 AM
love minn's cost/benefit ratio. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/lol.gif

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/green-bay-packers/salary/67046?q=green-bay-packers

ND72
01-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Bush, $1.4 mil? Really?

Joemailman
01-29-2012, 11:33 AM
love minn's cost/benefit ratio. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/lol.gif

Looks like that link only provides base salary information.

Did they really pay McNabb over 7 mil?

Guiness
01-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Not really very useful. Looks like it is giving base salaries, which has little to do with cap hit. That's why Hawk and Tramon are so low, and a guy like Bush, who got pretty much a 2yr contract is higher than them on the list.

Joemailman
01-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Not really very useful. Looks like it is giving base salaries, which has little to do with cap hit. That's why Hawk and Tramon are so low, and a guy like Bush, who got pretty much a 2yr contract is higher than them on the list.

The http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/ link is much better.

Upnorth
01-29-2012, 01:30 PM
The http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/ link is much better.

We still have poppinga? I thought he was ghone. Was he injured this year?

Joemailman
01-29-2012, 01:55 PM
We still have poppinga? I thought he was ghone. Was he injured this year?

Probably still had a cap hit from a prorated signing bonus.

Brandon494
01-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Hell naw we don't have Poppinga anymore

smuggler
01-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Thank God. He was bad. Chillar, that was a shame to have him leave. Poppinga was beyond JAG

Guiness
01-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Thank God. He was bad. Chillar, that was a shame to have him leave. Poppinga was beyond JAG

He didn't play this year - did he even go to a camp?

pbmax
01-29-2012, 06:27 PM
He didn't play this year - did he even go to a camp?

That's an interesting question. Does anyone remember if he was still looking to play?

MJZiggy
01-29-2012, 06:33 PM
I believe he's playing for the Rams. But not today...

Guiness
01-29-2012, 07:50 PM
I believe he's playing for the Rams. But not today...

That was Poppinga - we've moved on from that, and are talking about Chillar! Follow the bouncing ball, this thread will sooner or later be a discussion of whether or not Finley is due a big contract!

vince
01-29-2012, 08:21 PM
I don't have access to the Packer Report article, but I do have some salary cap info for next year.

Here's a summary of all Packer contracts that includes bonus and guaranteed money.
http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/gb/

I didn't come up with this spreadsheet but it looks like it's in the ballpark at least.

- The Packers are currently at about $100 mil with 7 more guys needing to be added, 2 or 3 of which will probably include sizable hits to next year's cap.
- I've read taht the salary cap isn't projected to go up much next year, so if you figure it'll be around $125 mil, the Packers have $20 mil at the most (Thompson always leaves $5 - $10 mil for flex money to sign guys like Green and Walden off the street in the event of injury, and then pushes what's left forward) to sign a couple big deals and 4 or 5 minimum contracts.
- Drafted guys will replace some of these contracts but it will probably mostly be a wash. Maybe Driver saves some money and maybe Clifton, but he's not overly expensive next year and I think there's a decent chance they'll try to ride him another year and continue to develop Sherrod and Newhouse.
- Hawk has guaranteed money allocated into future years, so cutting him will cost a couple mil more than his cap number next year if you keep him. I think he still has $6 mil in signing bonus that would come onto 2012 if he were cut.
- Hopefully Collins comes back, but his retirement would free up some space.
- Maybe Pickett restructures and extends to free up some space.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/2012SalaryCapasof1-25-12.jpg

It looks like it will be tight assuming they want to re-sign Finley and Wells, but they should be able to do what they want to get done.

I hope they're able to tag and trade Flynn, but those are pretty important dollars that clearly need to go somewhere other than backup QB. Depending on the timing of Finley/Wells signings and how those deals would likely be structured they may not have enough space to even tag him in the first place.

Patler
01-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Chillar had shoulder surgery in the off-season, then tore a hamstring while working out just before the lockout ended. The Packers released him before camp even started. They said he was a mess, and wasn't close to passing a physical.

Patler
01-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Looks like $2.48 million in dead money in 2012 just for Barnett, Chillar, Poppinga and Harrell.

From an article in August 2011:

Through the release of linebacker Nick Barnett, end Justin Harrell, linebacker Brady Poppinga and Chillar, general manager Ted Thompson has sliced off $12.7 million from the Packers' salary cap. Those same cuts will cost him $2.48 million next year because of the pro-rated shares left over in each player's contract.

Upnorth
01-30-2012, 07:34 AM
So the cap is around 125 mil or so right? I think Wells will get a good signing bonus and Finley is an unknown. I doubt we have the room to tag and trade Flynn, even though it would be nice. At least bush will be cheap! I don't see us over the cap, but I don't think we will have much wiggle room either.

pbmax
01-30-2012, 08:28 AM
I suspect that this is the point of the article, that the cap is not going up much and if you retain both Finley and Wells, you might have just enough room to sign the rookies and do one or two contracts next year for the pending 2013 free agents.

ND72
01-30-2012, 10:27 AM
still remember the days I took flack for calling Poppinga POOPinga...

Fritz
02-01-2012, 04:43 PM
And who thought TT might go out and sign a big free agent anyway?

pbmax
02-01-2012, 06:54 PM
OK, well that was money not spent well. Having stalled long enough before deciding to shell out for a Packer Report/Scout subscription, Mr. Silverstein has done a lot of the legwork for us and I haven't used up my 15 free articles yet.

Tom speculates the cap will be close to $120 million and he recently spoke to Brandt (EDIT: wrong Brandt, not cap guy Andrew but professional radio guest Gil Brandt) so he might have something there, though everything else I have read says it will be around $125 mil. Just to be consistent, we will use Tom's cap number for this post. For all 63 players under contract, Packers are committed to $113 mil. But the offseason/new league year counts on the 51 most expensive cap numbers and that puts the Pack at about $110.9 mil.

Pack also have 2.4 mil of dead money, so they have used $113.3 out of $120 million.

Finley, Wells, Bush and Flynn remain as top FAs. Silverstein speculates if you want to tag Flynn to trade him, you must chop off $10 mil in cap off these numbers and also find a way to sign Finley, Wells and Bush for roughly $3 million in cap space this year. Its not quite as tight as it first appears as Driver, Woodson and Clifton might be ripe for a restructure or release. Should Collins not be available, that is close to $4 mil off the books, but that doesn't happen until March, after FA has started.

Given all that, it doesn't look like the Free Agent fairy will be visiting the Packers this offseason if Tom has his numbers correct. However, if the cap number is $125 mil, then there might be room to restructure a vet or two and do something fun. Not likely, but possible.

For cap story: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/138497134.html

For Top 51 cap numbers: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/138506594.html

Upnorth
02-01-2012, 09:18 PM
I think we say goodbye to mr clifton and restucture driver and wood. Flynn walks and wells finley and bush get resigned. I pray Collins earns hjis 4 mil this year. If he's here are d is much better. Sorry if this seems like captain obvious speaking.

pbmax
02-01-2012, 09:26 PM
I think we say goodbye to mr clifton and restucture driver and wood. Flynn walks and wells finley and bush get resigned. I pray Collins earns hjis 4 mil this year. If he's here are d is much better. Sorry if this seems like captain obvious speaking.

I am not as sanguine and Silverstein is about Newhouse's performance. He will get a full offseason so physically he will be different, but I think Clifton's season depends more on Sherrod.

Brandon494
02-01-2012, 09:41 PM
I am not as sanguine and Silverstein is about Newhouse's performance. He will get a full offseason so physically he will be different, but I think Clifton's season depends more on Sherrod.

Its time to move Bulaga to LT and Newhouse to RT next season. I think its highly unlikely Clifton returns next season, he'll be 36 years old at the start of next season. You don't see many if any LT starting at that age.

MJZiggy
02-01-2012, 09:52 PM
I think the only way he doesn't come back is if they find someone better.

Patler
02-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Clifton was the oldest starting LT in 2011. I can't see him back again in 2012.

Upnorth
02-02-2012, 07:31 AM
I like clifton but he misses too much time. Newhouse was an adequate LT who did well against average players and was beat by elite players. One thing I liked about Newhouse was his improvement from the first time he faced Allen to the second time. I think until Sherrod heals fully and plays the way a 1st round pick is supposed to play Newhouse starts and I'm okay with that. If your tackle is crap there is no way your qb has the highest passer rating ever.

SkinBasket
02-02-2012, 10:42 AM

It only took, like, 4 seasons for half the folks here to understand that. Bunch of racist crackers.

Upnorth
02-03-2012, 04:30 PM
I think the only way he doesn't come back is if they find someone better.

Based on the whole season they already have. Newhouse.

sharpe1027
02-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Based on the whole season they already have. Newhouse.

Probably. Even after months of rehab, they kept Cliffy on a short leash when he cam back. I think the job is Newhouse's to lose at this point. The question would then be whether it is worth keeping Clifton around as a backup. Probably not.

MadScientist
02-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Probably. Even after months of rehab, they kept Cliffy on a short leash when he cam back. I think the job is Newhouse's to lose at this point. The question would then be whether it is worth keeping Clifton around as a backup. Probably not.

That may depend on Sherrod's recovery. I half expect him to be at least a PUP guy next season, and the other half expects IR. I'd much rather have Clifton as a backup than a nobody.

Joemailman
02-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Unlike Driver, Clifton doesn't have a big bonus coming, so there is no hurry to decide if they want to keep him. They'll have the opportunity to see how Newhouse and Sherrod are doing before they have to make a decision on Clifton.

Pugger
02-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Its time to move Bulaga to LT and Newhouse to RT next season. I think its highly unlikely Clifton returns next season, he'll be 36 years old at the start of next season. You don't see many if any LT starting at that age.

I don't know if I'd move Bulaga from RT. He's playing that position at a pro bowl level. He and Sitton make a great pair over there.

Patler
02-04-2012, 12:54 AM
One thing is certain, the Packer do need to have a capable reserve tackle. In his first two seasons, Bulaga has not been the most durable guy.

Pugger
02-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Did Bulaga miss games in 2011? I can't remember... :cnf:

Joemailman
02-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Did Bulaga miss games in 2011? I can't remember... :cnf:

He missed 2 games in October, and the last 2 games of the year.

Fritz
02-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Maybe they can bring Clifton back at a cheaper price...and as a defensive end.

The lack of pass rush doomed this team and tied Capers' hands.

Brandon494
02-04-2012, 01:29 PM
I don't know if I'd move Bulaga from RT. He's playing that position at a pro bowl level. He and Sitton make a great pair over there.

Which also means he could play LT at a pro bowl level and make a great pair with Lang :). I just don't trust Newhouse protecting Rodger's blind side.

Joemailman
02-04-2012, 02:07 PM
It doesn't make much sense to have Bulaga at RT if your LT is shaky. Whatever OT is the best in pass pro should be playing LT. Protecting Rodgers' blind side is the most important thing.

Upnorth
02-04-2012, 02:26 PM
We have talked a lot about restructuring Driver, but I think Clifton would be worth asking to restructure as well. Stealing an idea from Fritz the money saved could go to a free agent pass rusher... Not that its likely to happen

Patler
02-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Driver has not been bashful about working the team for mid-contract salary increases. One article said he has done it 3 or 4 times, but has kept very quiet about it, and in the end the Packers have merely announced a contract enhancement for him.

Clifton has not been bashful about pushing the FA envelope a couple times to end up with very good deals for himself from GB.

I'm not too sure either one will be very receptive to significant concessions now. Maybe, but each might be able to do better with another team rather than being paid as they should be for a backup role in GB.

Joemailman
02-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Driver is 37 and no longer a starter. Clifton id 35 and has missed significant numbers of games the last 3 years. I'm not sure that either one would get big offers elsewhere. The salary cap will be tight for a lot of teams this year.

Brandon494
02-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Driver is 37 and no longer a starter. Clifton id 35 and has missed significant numbers of games the last 3 years. I'm not sure that either one would get big offers elsewhere. The salary cap will be tight for a lot of teams this year.

Which is why I think both will accept restructure contracts, they aren't going to make more money anywhere else so why would they leave?

Patler
02-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Marco Rivera, Ahman Green and Mike Flanagan were all a bit long in the tooth and had recent histories of injuries, yet found teams willing to pay them significant sums of money to try to eek out a couple more years. I don't think either Clifton or Driver can do as well on the FA market as any of those three did, but for some teams the addition of an experienced veteran who can serve as an example in the locker room is a needed ingredient that the team is willing to pay quite a bit extra for. Thankfully, the Packers seem to have a room full of those types of players.

I would like to see both come back in reserve roles, with salaries in the $1-2 million range + playing time/performance incentives. I'm afraid that might be too big of a status change for each to accept in GB, and that it might be an easier thing to do with a different team. For that kind of money they might refuse to play in GB and agree to play for the same elsewhere.

woodbuck27
02-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Good discussion. Thanks.