PDA

View Full Version : Runners....

GrnBay007
01-29-2012, 05:27 PM
I think we have some runners at PR. Anyone ever use one of these marathon training guides on the internet?

Someone suggested Hal Higdon ?

I'm not a runner. Haven't ran in ....ohhhhh.....a really long time! This Hal Higdon site has a section for novice, which I like. There are two races I'd like to participate in with my son this year...of course I'll just be doing the 5-k first and see how that goes :) I know 5-k doesn't seem like much but now that I've decided to do it, I wanna do it right. Got a gym membership so I can use the treadmill there until this stupid snow is gone. I know "real" runners run outside year-round but ....ick!

hoosier
01-29-2012, 07:25 PM
5K is a nice distance to start with. Be sure to work up to it gradually and consistently, and don't go nuts on bumping your mileage--trying to increase too quickly (more than 10% from one week to next) is one of the biggest sources of injuries. And whatever training guides you consult, also read Chris McDougall's Born to Run.

Winter: I much prefer running outside in the dead of winter to running in the humidity of July and August. But the snow and ice does force you to shorten your stride, which takes some of the fun out of running.

MJZiggy
01-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Isn't Chris McDougall the one who advocates barefoot running? That could be tricky this time of year.

GrnBay007
01-29-2012, 07:49 PM
5K is a nice distance to start with. Be sure to work up to it gradually and consistently, and don't go nuts on bumping your mileage--trying to increase too quickly (more than 10% from one week to next) is one of the biggest sources of injuries. And whatever training guides you consult, also read Chris McDougall's Born to Run.

Winter: I much prefer running outside in the dead of winter to running in the humidity of July and August. But the snow and ice does force you to shorten your stride, which takes some of the fun out of running.

Thanks Hoosier, I'll take a look at that. Been looking for a book to dive into.

I can completely understand preferring to run in ANYTHING other than the heat and humidity of the midwest. My concern is not the temp as much as it is slipping on ice. My son runs during the winter too, in fact they will start running a lot in a week or two for the track season. Bought him some of those tights I see a lot of the runners wear because the kid won't wear sweatpants or running pants and last year ran from Feb. on in shorts. So I hope he will give these a try.

HowardRoark
01-29-2012, 08:14 PM
I am not being sarcastic when I say this......just Google anything and if it makes sense start doing it. With any amount of effort at all, you will be at a 5k.

A number of years ago I decided I wanted to run a marathon, so I signed up and then printed out a training guide. After the first half mile of training I almost puked on the running path......before you know it though, you are knocking off 11 milers after work like it's nothing at all.

Running a marathon is 95% mental in my experience.

Don't buy a book......just start running.

hoosier
01-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Isn't Chris McDougall the one who advocates barefoot running? That could be tricky this time of year.

Wimp! For the faint of heart such as yourself, there are always those Vibram thingamagigs.

MJZiggy
01-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Wimp! For the faint of heart such as yourself, there are always those Vibram thingamagigs.

Those things look funny. I'm actually not much of a runner. I prefer hiking, tennis, biking, swimming, dancing, sex, and other activities.

hoosier
01-29-2012, 09:01 PM
So you're saying you've never gotten it on while wearing Vibrams?

mraynrand
01-29-2012, 09:45 PM
I recommend the gradual start. If you aren't physically active, go for a walk first, then go for a longer walk - 30 minutes, then an hour, then walk it faster. Do a bunch a walks for two weeks, then start running. Mix the running in with your walk. And for shit's sake, get some decent shoes. I like the New Balance line and waste a lot of cash on shoes. People tell me they like the 880. I've been mixing up the virtual barefoot shoes - 801as, the cushioning trainers 992 and 1222, and I have a 1226SR that I got half off that I'm waiting to use in the spring. I'd wait before using the midsole runners/barefoot stuff until you're in shape. Those things are wild, because they alter your gait, but they make you faster, especially if you mix in speed workouts with distance. Oh, yeah that's right - once you get into shape, mix up your workouts. Run a fartlek (that's a Swedish term for 'speed play,' I kid you not) where you mix short sprints, intermediate length faster strides in with 'jogging.' Don't stop. stay hydrated. have fun. If you're hating it, slow down, walk, take a day off, etc. Most people hate the damn sport because they start out really aggressive and get exhausted or hurt right away. Also, if anyone says "Hey do you jog?" punch them in the face and say that you're a runner.

P.S. think safety - weak a reflective pinnie after dark, don't run alone in the dark, eat your vegetables, etc. etc.

George Cumby
01-30-2012, 12:26 AM
I recommend the gradual start. If you aren't physically active, go for a walk first, then go for a longer walk - 30 minutes, then an hour, then walk it faster. Do a bunch a walks for two weeks, then start running. Mix the running in with your walk. And for shit's sake, get some decent shoes. I like the New Balance line and waste a lot of cash on shoes. People tell me they like the 880. I've been mixing up the virtual barefoot shoes - 801as, the cushioning trainers 992 and 1222, and I have a 1226SR that I got half off that I'm waiting to use in the spring. I'd wait before using the midsole runners/barefoot stuff until you're in shape. Those things are wild, because they alter your gait, but they make you faster, especially if you mix in speed workouts with distance. Oh, yeah that's right - once you get into shape, mix up your workouts. Run a fartlek (that's a Swedish term for 'speed play,' I kid you not) where you mix short sprints, intermediate length faster strides in with 'jogging.' Don't stop. stay hydrated. have fun. If you're hating it, slow down, walk, take a day off, etc. Most people hate the damn sport because they start out really aggressive and get exhausted or hurt right away. Also, if anyone says "Hey do you jog?" punch them in the face and say that you're a runner.

P.S. think safety - weak a reflective pinnie after dark, don't run alone in the dark, eat your vegetables, etc. etc.

Rand's on it.

Higdon's good. I actually just bought his Ultimate Marathon Guide.

I really like the Galloway method for the marathon. Here's a link to his page:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

There's also a ton of "couch to 5k" programs out there. Apps for your iPhone as well.

Hold back on the minimalist running shoe stuff until you get stronger and more fit. It's super hard on your lower legs, if unaccustomed to it. I do think it's the future. What's old is new and all that.

"Yaktrax" or the equivalent for running outside on crummy footing.

Good luck on your running adventure!

Scott Campbell
01-30-2012, 07:05 AM
Mad tells me that you'll run faster if you stick to stealing lighter stuff.

Upnorth
01-30-2012, 07:44 AM
Back when I was a recruiter we would give out a guide to prepare people physically for basic training. It was designed so anyone could do it, and I mean no matter what level your at it would get you ready igf you followed it. The running program was three times a week and each week had extra goals. Week one was run 30 seconds, walk 4 1/2 min for one hour. Week two was 1 min run 4 min walk for one hour. Week 3 was 2 min run 3 min walk for one hour. I don't remember the rest but by week 13 you are running for 1 hour straight, which means you could laugh at a 5k run and come close to a 10 k run.

GrnBay007
01-30-2012, 07:52 AM
I am not being sarcastic when I say this......just Google anything and if it makes sense start doing it. With any amount of effort at all, you will be at a 5k.

I didn't take it as being sarcastic. I felt kinda silly looking up a schedule because it's ONLY a 5k ....but like I said been a really long time. And I promise I won't go nuts and start posting my daily routine on here like partial. :)

So how many marathons have you guys run? Howard, hoosier and mraynrand...and anyone else? An ex-co-worker of mine used to run them and always had some crazy stories to tell afterward. I always remember thinking to myself.....Why would you want to do that to yourself? lol

Upnorth
01-30-2012, 08:04 AM
I have never done a full 40 km, just 20's. For me the first 2 and last 5 km's are the hardest. The middle is fun and I usually talk through them with who ever is around. Well I did, but my knee got pretty screwed up in the military and now I can't run 2 k let alone 20.

GrnBay007
01-30-2012, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestions rand. I have a good pair of walking shoes to start with and have always made it a practice to never do anything alone in the dark. ;)

HowardRoark
01-30-2012, 12:53 PM
I've done two marathons. I did them prior to kids.....I could never see myself having the time to train at this time of my life. Lots and lots of miles are needed to get ready for a marathon. I do half marathons now; I can get up to speed on those pretty quickly once the snow melts.

I also think that the amount of pounding your body takes training just ain't right.....as far as marathon training. At least for a normal beer drinking person.

HowardRoark
01-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Also, just for kicks read Dean Karnazes' Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner. Great read. I have all the posters above blocked, so if any of them referenced it.....sorry.

ThunderDan
01-30-2012, 04:19 PM
I didn't take it as being sarcastic. I felt kinda silly looking up a schedule because it's ONLY a 5k ....but like I said been a really long time. And I promise I won't go nuts and start posting my daily routine on here like partial. :)

So how many marathons have you guys run? Howard, hoosier and mraynrand...and anyone else? An ex-co-worker of mine used to run them and always had some crazy stories to tell afterward. I always remember thinking to myself.....Why would you want to do that to yourself? lol

They only marathon I have ever "ran" was part of an Ironman. The real issue is time. When you are single and don't have kids time is easy to find. I was putting in 20-30 hours weekly in training time. I dropped 40+ pounds in 5 months and got to 200 lbs for the first time in my life since college.

I would simply say this. If you are going to run a longer distance create a plan and stick with it. For the Ironman I got a daytimer and penciled in all of my training times from Jan 1 thru Sept when the Ironman was run. I had no excuses. I knew what I had to get done. As someone stated above it's mostly mental.

More on the time issue and why I don't run anything longer than a 10k anymore, I love to golf and played and taught professionally for 5 years. I golfed 2 times the whole year that I completed the Ironman. When I reflected on the experience I desided that what I gave up to train wasn't worth doing another Ironman.

ThunderDan
01-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Oh yeah, get good shoes!

MadtownPacker
01-30-2012, 08:15 PM
If you are gonna be a runner dont forget your leg weights.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Drug_mule_legs.jpg

GrnBay007
01-30-2012, 09:28 PM
If you are gonna be a runner dont forget your leg weights.

Naaa.....I can't run fast enough for that!!! :)

George Cumby
01-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Funny story:

I was up in Sacto a few years back while I was training for the Big Sur marathon. I need to get a maintenance run in so I go for a short run. I run down the frontage road from the hotel and turn into a neighborhood which is a little more dodgy than I had anticipated. I get a mile or so into the 'hood and this ten year old mexican kid pulls alongside me on his crappy little bike. He takes his time looking me up and down, clearly finds me to be lacking, looks me straight in the eye and asks "What you runnin' from, man?"

I, in a display of off-the-cuff genius that only I am capable of, reply "Nothin'."

In awe of my utter lack of intelligence and street savvy, the kid shakes his head and rides off. No doubt he is sure that I will be murdered within the next half mile.

Being Mr. Cool, I non-chalantly bust a 180 at the next intersection and haul ass for the frontage road.

mraynrand
01-31-2012, 12:35 PM
You should be thankful the kid spoke english. de otra manera, Buena seurte, hombre muerto!

mraynrand
01-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Run, Runner!

http://www.ship-star.com/lo01.jpg

George Cumby
01-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Run, Runner!

http://www.ship-star.com/lo01.jpg

A little Richard Jordan, action. Nice.

Dude, I had the MAJOR hots for Jennifer Agutter.

mraynrand
01-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Dude, I had the MAJOR hots for Jennifer Agutter.

That just proves you're breathing. Agutter and Farrah Fawcett - and surrounded by scantily clad babes as far as the eye can see. A gilded cage, indeed!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_khnBA58ed2k/TM6npSgfh2I/AAAAAAAARCI/SXI8IQw9UH8/s1600/PDVD_017.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-e6eoicCSrkk/TdnIcgtzqRI/AAAAAAAAAEU/5x5U5W7pxtk/s1600/Logans_Run-10.png