PDA

View Full Version : where is the pro bowl game thread?

Harlan Huckleby
01-29-2012, 05:47 PM
It's professional football with professional football players, even a few packers.

What the hell is going on here, have people switched to hockey?

gbgary
01-29-2012, 06:13 PM
is it on? i'm watching Mavs v spurs.

pbmax
01-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Curling playoffs.

gbgary
01-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Curling playoffs.

you in canada too?

MJZiggy
Thank you. I intended to watch and almost forgot to turn it on...

pbmax
you in canada too?

Close enough to have a curling club/team in town! :lol:

MJZiggy
01-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Wood almost picks it.

MJZiggy
01-29-2012, 06:36 PM
And we love the commercial with the dogs. What the hell is it for?

hoosier
01-29-2012, 07:28 PM
My 9 year old son comes running into the kitchen to tell me the Packers are on. At first I thought he found a replay. Then I realized: they are playing in that game when they should be preparing for the SB just a few miles to north of where we live. Frickin Pro Bowl.

Joemailman
01-29-2012, 07:41 PM
I turned it on for 2 minutes and turned it off. You'll see more physical contact in ballroom dancing.

Guiness
01-29-2012, 07:54 PM

A cell phone I assume?

Who the heck is #40 on the NFC DL? He took two steps forward then jumped up and down a few times waving his hands in the air.

What channel is curling on?

Brando19
01-29-2012, 07:58 PM
A cell phone I assume?

Who the heck is #40 on the NFC DL? He took two steps forward then jumped up and down a few times waving his hands in the air.

What channel is curling on?

That's because they're not allowed to blitz in the Pro Bowl.

Guiness
01-29-2012, 08:01 PM
That's because they're not allowed to blitz in the Pro Bowl.

Is that an actual rule, or just a 'gentleman's agreement'?

What counts as a blitz? DL not allowed to cross the line of scrimmage?

pittstang5
01-29-2012, 08:06 PM

Volkswagon...I think we'll find out more during the superbowl

Brando19
01-29-2012, 08:08 PM

I'm not sure...I just remember a few years ago one of the announcers showed the rules and it said no blitzing.

MJZiggy
01-29-2012, 08:19 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a PB rule. They go over the differences before the game. There were a few of them (like you also can't bunch the receivers on one side of the line.

Pugger
01-29-2012, 08:21 PM

VW?

Pugger
01-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Rodgers looked fine. Jennings looks like his old self. Clay got an INT that Peppers literally gave away. Woody broke up a pass. It isn't great football by any stretch but it is nice to see our guys doing well.

mraynrand
01-29-2012, 09:22 PM
People still watch the Loserbowl?

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/12/15/gallery/yawn-324x205.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
01-29-2012, 09:27 PM
That opening play where Rogers handed-off the ball was sureal. The running back barely jogged with the ball, and the defenders just hugged him playfully after a couple yards. Fans erupted in chorus of boos. If Mike Curtis was out there, he would have clothes-lined the prancing RB. (Thank god they don't let 65-year-old former players onto the field)

I really don't mind that the players are just goofing off. What is the alternative? If you go 3/4 speed, somebody gets banged good, and pretty soon you got a real football game with people getting hurt. So they go 1/10 speed.

They got the D-list broadcast team. I guess it is embarassing to have to call such a silly affair.

I think the players should play in shorts and sneakers, or bare feet on a beach. Have a keg of beer, female refs in bikinis, rope-pull contest at halftime. Combine it with Hawaiian Luau.

Upnorth
01-30-2012, 07:26 AM
That opening play where Rogers handed-off the ball was sureal. The running back barely jogged with the ball, and the defenders just hugged him playfully after a couple yards. Fans erupted in chorus of boos. If Mike Curtis was out there, he would have clothes-lined the prancing RB. (Thank god they don't let 65-year-old former players onto the field)

I really don't mind that the players are just goofing off. What is the alternative? If you go 3/4 speed, somebody gets banged good, and pretty soon you got a real football game with people getting hurt. So they go 1/10 speed.

They got the D-list broadcast team. I guess it is embarassing to have to call such a silly affair.

I think the players should play in shorts and sneakers, or bare feet on a beach. Have a keg of beer, female refs in bikinis, rope-pull contest at halftime. Combine it with Hawaiian Luau.

It sounds like a college pickup game your trying to organize. I'm in!.

Pugger
01-30-2012, 08:58 AM
It's a shame they won't let the guys actually play football in that exhibition last night...

Harlan Huckleby
01-30-2012, 11:01 AM
It's a shame they won't let the guys actually play football in that exhibition last night...

Its not the rules, it's the guys themselves who don't want to play seriously, and can you blame them?

Can you imagine asking top-level boxers to fight for free? You can't expect high-paid athletes in dangerous sports to risk careers for nothing.

Joemailman
01-30-2012, 11:15 AM
People who don't like it need to turn the game off. If there's one thing that will cause the league to turn it into something resembling a football game again, it's lousy TV ratings.

Harlan, it's not just the players. There were reports this week that the practices were a joke too. At the very least, the coaches were involved as well.

Harlan Huckleby
01-30-2012, 11:55 AM
what specificly do you want?

IT really has to be one way or the other. You can't play 1/2 speed or 3/4 speed. It has to be a real football game or an unserious game for fun.

I think the players are unwilling to play hard, and the coaches are just respecting reality. I do not blame players in a very violent sport for being unwilling to risk their livelihood. They can cancel the pro-bowl game, or continue the silly bowl. I say make the game even more informal, better choice than canceling in my opinion. I don't take football so seriously anyway.

Joemailman
01-30-2012, 12:01 PM
what specificly do you want?

IT really has to be one way or the other. You can't play 1/2 speed or 3/4 speed. It has to be a real football game or an unserious game for fun.

Nonsense. The Pro Bowl has always been less intense than an actual game. What we saw last night though wasn't even tackle football.

Harlan Huckleby
01-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Nonsense. The Pro Bowl has always been less intense than an actual game. What we saw last night though wasn't even tackle football.

OK. so you want the players to play hard like they used to in past decades. They aren't going to play hard.

I say play flag football. I'm serious. No pads, maybe helmets, maybe not. No - leather helmets!
Make it into a fun day for players and families, with a flag football game for fun.

pbmax
01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Nostalgia run amok. The Pro Bowl has never been as contested as people remember it. Unless you name is Pete Rose, each sport treats it the same way. Offensive showcase, minimum defense trying to decapitate the offense.

Bossman641
01-30-2012, 03:37 PM
I actually agree with HH. The players don't take it seriously..and you can't expect them to. They should play flag football or turn it into a 7 on 7 drill. Not sure what they would do about the linemen though, considering they will still want to be voted into pro bowls in order to trigger bonuses.

Freak Out
01-30-2012, 06:13 PM
I think it should be the NFL Allstars vs the Lingerie Bowl Allstars.....wait...fuck it. Let's just watch the women play beach volleyball instead.

Freak Out
01-30-2012, 06:21 PM
When is the NFL Awards show? I can't fucking wait for that.

Joemailman
01-30-2012, 08:07 PM
When is the NFL Awards show? I can't fucking wait for that.

Do I have to look up everything for you? :lol:

Saturday Night on NBC 9-11 EST. Red Carpet Show on NFL Network an hour before the show. :drma:

Guiness
01-30-2012, 10:17 PM
It is a bit of a quandary - how do you make this thing at least a bit interesting to watch? The players aren't going to play a real game, there's too much at stake here, and for the most part probably could care less about a trip to Hawaii. I remember seeing somewhere that getting voted to the pro bowl meant a lot to the players because they got an all-expense paid trip to Hawaii for them and their wife. But let's face it, with the money most of the pro-bowlers are making now, if they want to go to Hawaii, they just will. And would prefer to do with without a coach there yelling at them.

I'm in favour of blowing it up as well, and turning it into flag football, or something totally different like Jake Plummer coming out and running a handball tournament!

MJZiggy
01-30-2012, 10:30 PM
I think that getting voted in means a lot to them for the peer recognition. They feel like they're being recognized as the best of the best and that ego boost is completely unnecessary and yet, because of it, I don't see the pro bowl going anywhere. Just vote 'em in and either be done with it or hold an all-football dancing with the stars or something.

Gunakor
01-31-2012, 12:23 AM
It is a bit of a quandary - how do you make this thing at least a bit interesting to watch?

Here's an idea. First, play the damn game the week AFTER the Super Bowl again, so that the players participating in the Super Bowl can play in the Pro Bowl as well. No more of this play a quarter and a half and then pass the torch to the next guy crap, if you're voted in as a starter you play the game and those voted in as backups are just that - backups. Then make it so that the Super Bowl itself is no longer played on a neutral field. Stipulate that the winning conference in the Pro Bowl gets to host the following year's Super Bowl. The players will then have real incentive to win the game. It'll be a real football game, not a completely meaningless exhibition. And fans will be interested.

Harlan Huckleby
01-31-2012, 07:42 AM
First, play the damn game the week AFTER the Super Bowl again, so that the players participating in the Super Bowl can play in the Pro Bowl as well. Adding a handful of star players makes no difference, and you'd be lucky to get a handful since SB players traditionally skip the pro bowl.

Give it up, this issue is settled. Ratings show that most people prefer the game during the bye week, most people are done with football after SB, traditionalists have been out-voted.

Then make it so that the Super Bowl itself is no longer played on a neutral field. Stipulate that the winning conference in the Pro Bowl gets to host the following year's Super Bowl. The players will then have real incentive to win the game.

Having a home field advantage for SB is a bad idea on face of it, maybe I miss how this would make game more entertaining.

The idea that players will care significantly about hfa for the following year's game is far fetched, especially compared to powerful incentive of protecting their own careers.

Players are playing first and foremost for money. You want them to play hard in otherwise meaningless game? 1) Pay for insurance policies that compensate players for career-damaging (not just career ending) injuries. 2) Give players the same game checks they made in regular season if they win game.

swede
01-31-2012, 02:18 PM
I was paging through a SI in the waiting room and I saw the Year-in-Review tribute to deceased athletes. NFL football players are routinely dying in their 50's.

This is not a sport that allows you to play the game for fun.

There is no fixing the pro-bowl, just finding ways to make it tolerable with the lowest risk of injury to players.

I don't watch it or any other All-Star event. It's like being made to eat oatmeal instead of steak.

mraynrand
01-31-2012, 02:22 PM
NFL players live shorter because they eat more steak than oatmeal.

swede
01-31-2012, 02:30 PM
NFL players live shorter because they eat more steak than oatmeal.

Heh heh

Joemailman
01-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Seems Aaron Rodgers feels the way many fans did:

nfcnblog
ESPN Blogs NFC North
Rodgers: "I was just surprised that some of the guys either didn't want to play or when they were in there didn't put any effort into it."
2 hours ago via Echofon
Retweeted by CellyCell618 and 4 others

denverYooper
01-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Seems Aaron Rodgers feels the way many fans did:

nfcnblog
ESPN Blogs NFC North
Rodgers: "I was just surprised that some of the guys either didn't want to play or when they were in there didn't put any effort into it."
2 hours ago via Echofon
Retweeted by CellyCell618 and 4 others

Jeez. Throwing the defense under the bus like that...

Gunakor
02-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Players are playing first and foremost for money. You want them to play hard in otherwise meaningless game?

I don't expect them to. Which is why I propose the idea of making the game mean something. Make the game important to those who play in it, those who coach in it, those who watch it. That's the only way to make the game interesting. If the players aren't playing to win then there's no reason for a fan to watch. Either make the game important or scrap it altogether.

Gunakor
02-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Having a home field advantage for SB is a bad idea on face of it, maybe I miss how this would make game more entertaining.

It provides a reason for the Pro Bowl participants to give 100% effort. It provides incentive to win. When players play to win, fans are interested in watching. When players play simply to not get injured nobody gives a shit about the game. Maybe this isn't the way to do it, I don't know. It's just a suggestion. The point is to make the Pro Bowl an actual football game, not a meaningless exhibition. How would you suggest we do that?

Harlan Huckleby
02-01-2012, 02:39 AM
The point is to make the Pro Bowl an actual football game, not a meaningless exhibition. How would you suggest we do that? I said there is only one incentive that will be sufficient: money and lots of it, including insurance policies.

The likely outcome is that nothing will change. There is no "integrity of the sport" issue because everyone understands this is an odd exhibition that stands apart from the real season. There are enough people watching to finance the current approach, probably there wouldn't be enough additional viewer interest to pay the cost of staging a real game.

Gunakor
02-01-2012, 04:46 AM
Making the game itself important wouldn't be enough incentive? It doesn't HAVE to be a simple meaningless exhibition after all. If you have the winning conference hosting the following year's Super Bowl then the game is no longer an exhibition. It becomes as important as any other week during the NFL season. Nearly as important as the Super Bowl itself. Players would gladly risk injury to play full speed in a game that determined home field advantage in the Super Bowl, don't you think? Or do you think they'd still need a greater monetary incentive on top of it?

pbmax
02-01-2012, 07:14 AM
The Pro Bowl cannot decide the Super Bowl homefield as it takes years of planning to host, not just one week.

The NFL will not pay millions to make players care because for one game it is not worth it. And there is no guarantee that it would make a difference to the players either, as most of them still stand to make far more from their regular season paychecks than any Pro Bowl check.

I have no doubt that the NFL will do something to make it look like the players care, but it will be more likely window dressing than an actual answer.

I do not care, its just the Pro Bowl. Its not even worth 60 posts. Ask Robert Edwards how it worked out for him.

Pugger
02-01-2012, 09:06 AM
The Pro Bowl cannot decide the Super Bowl homefield as it takes years of planning to host, not just one week.

The NFL will not pay millions to make players care because for one game it is not worth it. And there is no guarantee that it would make a difference to the players either, as most of them still stand to make far more from their regular season paychecks than any Pro Bowl check.

I have no doubt that the NFL will do something to make it look like the players care, but it will be more likely window dressing than an actual answer.

I do not care, its just the Pro Bowl. Its not even worth 60 posts. Ask Robert Edwards how it worked out for him.

Besides, the SB is at a neutral site.

Gunakor
02-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah, I know that. But something has to change to make the Pro Bowl more interesting, I merely floated an idea to make that happen.

The only other idea I've heard is to increase the monetary incentive for winning. Won't work, some of these guys make more money per quarter during the regular season. No, you don't just slightly increase the prize money, you change the game. The game can no longer be a meaningless exhibition. It has to have meaning. So perhaps homefield advantage is out of the question. Can anyone come up with a better idea to make the game itself important enough that players play at full speed in an effort to win?

Harlan Huckleby
02-01-2012, 09:44 AM
The only other idea I've heard is to increase the monetary incentive for winning. Won't work, some of these guys make more money per quarter during the regular season. No, you don't just slightly increase the prize money, you change the game. The game can no longer be a meaningless exhibition. It has to have meaning.

You are spinning your wheels because you keep asking the impossible question, "how can we get extremely valuable services for cheap?" Its like trying to come-up with a clever idea to get Lady Gaga to sing at your daughter's birthday party.

You also state "something has to change to make the Pro Bowl more interesting." Why? As long as enough people watch to support the current structure, all is good enough.

Gunakor
02-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Harlan, this whole thing started when I answered this post.

It is a bit of a quandary - how do you make this thing at least a bit interesting to watch?

Well, I answered it. Something has to change to make the Pro Bowl interesting. The game itself has to mean something. It's can't be a simple meaningless exhibition and be interesting to watch at the same time. That's the answer. Now the question is how do we make the game more than a meaningless exhibition so fans would be more interested to watch. Do you have any ideas?

Harlan Huckleby
02-01-2012, 04:15 PM
You can't get professionals in a violent sport to play hard unless you compensate them for the risks they are taking. There are no ideas that can circumvent this basic fact.

flag football, with 3-legged races and corn dog eating contests at halftime is the way to go.

sharpe1027
02-01-2012, 04:24 PM
You can't get professionals in a violent sport to play hard unless you compensate them for the risks they are taking. There are no ideas that can circumvent this basic fact.

flag football, with 3-legged races and corn dog eating contests at halftime is the way to go.

I don't think it matters so much whether or not it is violent as it is more about the money. I think what matters most is that they stand to lose millions and millions of dollars if they get injured. I bet they would have the same problem for golf, if injuries were more common.

Harlan Huckleby
02-01-2012, 04:43 PM
one of them corn dogs could lodge in the throat and kill a guy

Gunakor
02-01-2012, 04:46 PM
You can't get professionals in a violent sport to play hard unless you compensate them for the risks they are taking.

Aaron Rodgers played hard. Aaron is a professional too, far more professional than his NFC teammates that he rightfully called out for lack of effort. What compensation did Aaron get that his teammates did not?

Harlan Huckleby
02-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Aaron Rodgers played hard. Aaron is a professional too, far more professional than his NFC teammates that he rightfully called out for lack of effort. What compensation did Aaron get that his teammates did not?

Aaron Rodgers also had little chance of being hit in that game, even if the linemen were giving all-out effort.

Sounds like you are just mad at the players for not playing hard. I disagree with your criticism, they need not be suckers, the NFL should compensate them fairly if they want a real game. But this is a dead end at any rate. The players have made their choice.

Pugger
02-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Aaron Rodgers also had little chance of being hit in that game, even if the linemen were giving all-out effort.

Sounds like you are just mad at the players for not playing hard. I disagree with your criticism, they need not be suckers, the NFL should compensate them fairly if they want a real game. But this is a dead end at any rate. The players have made their choice.

Tell that to Cam Newton.

Harlan Huckleby
02-02-2012, 08:30 AM
I didn't watch the whole game, but if Cam Newton got hurt despite the no intentional grounding rule, that makes Aaron Rodgers plea for more intensity look foolish.

Pugger
02-02-2012, 08:39 AM
I didn't watch the whole game, but if Cam Newton got hurt despite the no intentional grounding rule, that makes Aaron Rodgers plea for more intensity look foolish.

No, but Cam got hit a lot more than Rogers and Brees were.

What is the average salary for these elite players during the regular season? Do they get more than $25K a week?

Patler
02-02-2012, 09:19 AM
What is the average salary for these elite players during the regular season? Do they get more than $25K a week?

Yes, a lot more. $25,000/week for the 17 week season is $425,000/year. That's not much more than minimum salary for a rookie, and it is less than the 2011 minimum salary for a player with any NFL experience at all ($450,000 for a 1st year player).

denverYooper
02-02-2012, 10:14 AM

I didn't watch the game either, but supposedly the intensity goes up near the end of the game, when Newton would have been playing.

denverYooper
02-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Larry Fitzgerald was on Mike and Mike this morning and he mentioned that they didn't put on a very good show. He basically said that they didn't have to hit hard and risk injuries but they could have played with more intensity so as to put on a better act for fans. He blamed the lack of intensity on a large crop of n00bs playing this year.

Pugger
02-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Yes, a lot more. $25,000/week for the 17 week season is $425,000/year. That's not much more than minimum salary for a rookie, and it is less than the 2011 minimum salary for a player with any NFL experience at all ($450,000 for a 1st year player).

Would it help if each player received his normal weekly salary for participating in this 'game'? The players now might not feel it is worth risking it to play for $25K. The reason the intensity increases in the 4th quarter is the additional $25K at stake.

swede
02-02-2012, 12:04 PM
I think that the Pro-Bowl is an honor that should be nothing more than a sincere honorarium. I have stated in the past, and I maintain to this day, that the players' wives should stand in as surrogate combatants in Honolulu by playing beach volleyball in bikinis for jell-o shots in the week before the Super Bowl.

That would draw more interest.

Freak Out
02-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Hell.....make it a charity softball game.

Pugger
02-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Larry Fitzgerald was on Mike and Mike this morning and he mentioned that they didn't put on a very good show. He basically said that they didn't have to hit hard and risk injuries but they could have played with more intensity so as to put on a better act for fans. He blamed the lack of intensity on a large crop of n00bs playing this year.

Something tells me Fitzgerald's remarks will not get the attention Rodgers' did...

Joemailman
02-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Something tells me Fitzgerald's remarks will not get the attention Rodgers' did...

No but this might:

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34705393

"I really didn't think that was the kind of football that we want to be demonstrating for our fans," Goodell said on Mike and Mike Sunday morning. "And you heard it from the fans. The fans were actively booing in the stands. They didn't like what they were seeing."

At the very least, Goodell said, something's going to change or the game will go away.

"We're either going to have to improve the quality of what we're doing in the Pro Bowl or consider other changes or even considering eliminating the game if that's the kind of quality game we're going to provide," Goodell said. "I know players love to be in Hawaii but we have to start with the quality of what we're doing.

"If the fans are responding negatively to what we're doing, we better listen. And that was my message."

Well said, Commissioner.

pbmax
02-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Players voted least valuable on both sides for Defense, Offense and Special Teams have to spend a week in Bristol with Skip Bayliss after the Pro Bowl.

"So tell me LVP, when did you stop beating your girlfriend?"

That will get their attention.

Patler
02-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Allow each pro bowl player to select a college surrogate at his position. Bring the college kids in to play in front of all the NFL scouts. Let the pro-bowl players mingle with the college kids during the week, be with them in practice, etc. Let the pro-bowlers pick anyone they want from the college ranks, so long as he plays the same position. Let it be a former team mate in college, relative, all-american or small college unheard of.

The college kids would bust their asses in front of the NFL scouts, coaches and players.

MJZiggy
02-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Allow each pro bowl player to select a college surrogate at his position. Bring the college kids in to play in front of all the NFL scouts. Let the pro-bowl players mingle with the college kids during the week, be with them in practice, etc. Let the pro-bowlers pick anyone they want from the college ranks, so long as he plays the same position. Let it be a former team mate in college, relative, all-american or small college unheard of.

The college kids would bust their asses in front of the NFL scouts, coaches and players.

That is a stellar idea that you should send to Roger immediately.

Pugger
02-05-2012, 02:47 PM
They already have a few all star games for college kids. The rules in place for the Pro Bowl created the way it is played and why the 'game' is now so lame. It would help if they could actually play it like a normal game. Do the other sports - baseball, hockey and basketball - have different rules for their all star games?

Joemailman
02-05-2012, 02:52 PM
The rules aren't really the problem. Linebackers haven't been able to blitz for a while. That doesn't mean that the defensive linemen can't make an effort to rush the passer. The Pro Bowl will never be like a normal game, but what happened this year was far worse than it used to be.

Pugger
02-05-2012, 02:53 PM
I thought nobody could blitz....? :cnf:

Joemailman
02-05-2012, 03:11 PM
I thought nobody could blitz....? :cnf:

D-Linemen rushing the passer isn't considered blitzing. Teams in the Pro Bowl have to play a 4-3. Pretty sure the 4 D-Linemen can rush the passer.

Harlan Huckleby
02-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Well said, Commissioner.

I'm starting to get convinced that most fans are pretty upset about the pro bowl, but what suggestions did the commissioner offer?

The only idea that he or anybody here really offered is to cancel the game. (Sorry, patler, I can't take your take-a-college-student-to-work day idea seriously.)

swede
02-05-2012, 09:42 PM
wives

bikinis

jello-shots

croquet

Joemailman
02-05-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm starting to get convinced that most fans are pretty upset about the pro bowl, but what suggestions did the commissioner offer?

The only idea that he or anybody here really offered is to cancel the game. (Sorry, patler, I can't take your take-a-college-student-to-work day idea seriously.)

He is offering the players 2 choices. Play like you give a damn, or we'll just call the thing off. He's taking the side of the fans here, and putting pressure on the players to give a damn.

swede
02-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Why should they give a damn?

Go ahead and call it off.

NFL football is truly a modern day gladiatorial event. It can't be redacted to an exhibition of miscellaneous star players without being a boring mess. Has there ever been a memorable All-Star game? No.

I'm pretty sure the All-Star Roman gladiators didn't assemble to wow the crowds with the All-Star NERF games.

Patler
02-05-2012, 09:57 PM
It's very obvious that most players have no interest in playing the game anymore.
Send them a plaque and forget the game.

swede
02-05-2012, 10:05 PM
It's very obvious that most players have no interest in playing the game anymore.
Send them a plaque and forget the game.

I'm really not against that, and I don't think it diminishes the honor.

Harlan Huckleby
02-05-2012, 10:18 PM
He is offering the players 2 choices. Play like you give a damn, or we'll just call the thing off. He's taking the side of the fans here, and putting pressure on the players to give a damn.
Pressure? Why would players care if game is canceled?

I can see why fans are disgusted. But it is wrong to direct anger at players.

Joemailman
02-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Pressure because it would appear that the game was cancelled because the players didn't give a damn. Goodell has the fans on his side here, and is trying to use that to pressure the players to raise their level of play in the Pro Bowl.

Harlan Huckleby
02-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Pressure because it would appear that the game was cancelled because the players didn't give a damn. Goodell has the fans on his side here

I see. Sure, Goodell may has the fans on his side, the fans' only priority is to see a good game for free, they aren't losing sleep over risks to players. But the players have reason and fairness on their side, and I wouldn't expect them to budge. Those angry fans wouldn't risk their own livelihoods to please the public. If the NFL can't justify buying insurance policies for the players, then they are hypocritical for blaming the players.

pbmax
02-06-2012, 12:26 PM
I see. Sure, Goodell may has the fans on his side, the fans' only priority is to see a good game for free, they aren't losing sleep over risks to players. But the players have reason and fairness on their side, and I wouldn't expect them to budge. Those angry fans wouldn't risk their own livelihoods to please the public. If the NFL can't justify buying insurance policies for the players, then they are hypocritical for blaming the players.

As a league approved event, I am sure the normal injury protections (thin though they sometimes seem to be) do apply. But contract or no, the risk is still bigger than the reward.

Gunakor
02-06-2012, 11:54 PM
I see far greater effort in the first series of the first preseason game in August than I see in any series during the Pro Bowl in January. Sure, the guys fighting for roster spots have plenty to play for in August, but what about incumbent starters locked into #1 on the depth chart? Do they have more to play for in a meaningless preseason game than they do playing in a meaningless Pro Bowl game? Isn't the risk the same?

Joemailman
02-07-2012, 11:23 AM
I see far greater effort in the first series of the first preseason game in August than I see in any series during the Pro Bowl in January. Sure, the guys fighting for roster spots have plenty to play for in August, but what about incumbent starters locked into #1 on the depth chart? Do they have more to play for in a meaningless preseason game than they do playing in a meaningless Pro Bowl game? Isn't the risk the same?

Actually, the risk is greater in a preseason game. A guy who gets hurt in the preseason is more likely to miss regular season action than a guy who gets hurt in the Pro Bowl.

Harlan Huckleby
02-07-2012, 11:27 AM
The players have to play at high level in regular season games, and to an extent in preseason, to maintain their careers. Therefore it is worth the risk, and the injury settlement policy is adequate.

The pro-bowl is entirely different kettle of fish, there is essentially zero benefit, so the injury settlement policy is inadequate to get players to risk bodies. They need additional insurance, which I suppose would cost a lot.

I seem to remember that the UW bought insurance for Ron Dayne for his Senior year at Rose Bowl. but maybe I dreamed that.

Anyway, football is big business, and you can't expect players to make insane business decisions. BTW, we're focused on the players, but I doubt the teams want their star properties out there flying around. Goodall gets to play the good guy and side with the fans, but the owners probably don't want him to do anything.