PDA

View Full Version : The Pro Bowl Joke

Bretsky
01-29-2012, 06:56 PM
OK, this year I decided I would try to watch this game. But I can't even make it through a quarter.
Not in all of sports can we find an all star game in such a popular sport that means next to nothing.
Many of the players give minimal effort, and the game is more of a flag football game than tackle football.

Watching our favoirte players play in the Pro Bowl only reminds me of one thing.

We failed by falling short of the goal what means something........championship

Little Whiskey
01-29-2012, 11:37 PM
you don't like a game where 100points is scored? some basketball games are lower scoring.

Gunakor
01-30-2012, 02:05 AM
They don't play defense in Hawaii.

packrulz
01-30-2012, 05:17 AM
Joke is a good description, it was awful. ARod looked good though, Clay got a pick and tipped a pass, Jennings scored. Capers looked like he was a little sunburned.
Not sure if the SB will be any good, I hate both teams, and Madonna for a halftime show? Is that the best they could do? Yuck!

Bossman641
01-30-2012, 06:28 AM
3 minutes was about all I could stomach before I turned it off. I understand not wanting to get hurt but the linemen were standing around playing pattycake.

Upnorth
01-30-2012, 07:36 AM
There's more contact in the spagetti sauce thread!

Joemailman
01-30-2012, 07:45 AM
3 minutes was about all I could stomach before I turned it off. I understand not wanting to get hurt but the linemen were standing around playing pattycake.

This game need a coach who would ask...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbNidYYGjic

Little Whiskey
01-30-2012, 08:32 AM
I thought the trick plays added a new wrinkle. fake punt, onside kick.

just vote the guys in and run a madden sim. have it played on the jumbo-tron at Hawaii stadium. have the players come and sign autographs, have a skills competition and be done with it. the game itself means absolutly nothing. its the worst all-star game of any of the pro sports. I think the WWE has a better all-pro match!

Pugger
01-30-2012, 08:54 AM
The reason it is so lame is because they don't let them play, really. If they were allowed to actually play football like the college all-star games it might be watchable. They can block and tackle without killing each other in a game like this.

ND72
01-30-2012, 10:25 AM
should make it worth money...tackles worth $250 each, sacks $500, interceptions $500, catches $300, TD $500..etc.etc.etc. then you'd see some football.

Joemailman
01-30-2012, 11:22 AM
should make it worth money...tackles worth $250 each, sacks $500, interceptions $500, catches $300, TD $500..etc.etc.etc. then you'd see some football.

This year, the players on the winning team got $50,000 each, and the losers got $25,000. That didn't work. It's practically pocket change to a lot of the players there.

Really, if the players don't have any desire to compete against each other, I think it's time to just end the Pro Bowl.

denverYooper
01-30-2012, 11:34 AM
I really don't care if the game is competitive or not. These guys are not going to risk injury for a game that means little other than the contract incentives it might trigger for their selection. It's mostly about networking (ie barhopping with fellow pro-bowlers on the rookies' coin).

denverYooper
01-30-2012, 11:36 AM
They don't play defense in Hawaii.

It's the same D we've seen all year: guys can't rush the passer, secondary milling around like they just met, and Matthews doing anything worth a damn.

ND72
01-30-2012, 11:38 AM
I really don't care if the game is competitive or not. These guys are not going to risk injury for a game that means little other than the contract incentives it might trigger for their selection. It's mostly about networking (ie barhopping with fellow pro-bowlers on the rookies' coin).

very true...Reggie White was famous for promoting GB while in Hawaii.

Pugger
01-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Rodgers said he was promoting GB all last week too.

ND72
01-30-2012, 10:15 PM
OL/DL 7-on-7, a skills challenge, et. Would be more entertaining than what they got going. No question the game is past prime...

Gunakor
01-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Make the game itself actually mean something. Like baseball did with their All-Star game. Couldn't do it the same way, since the Super Bowl is a neutral field, but make it so that the winning conference actually gets something of significance. Then the players will take the skirts off and make an effort.

denverYooper
01-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Make the game itself actually mean something. Like baseball did with their All-Star game. Couldn't do it the same way, since the Super Bowl is a neutral field, but make it so that the winning conference actually gets something of significance. Then the players will take the skirts off and make an effort.

Unless you start talking millions of dollars, I doubt much will move them to put their bodies through extra punishment.

Pugger
01-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Then maybe WE should look at it for what it is - an exhibition game. Unless the prize money increases substantially the 'game' will remain the same. We shouldn't expect it to look like a regular game. Most of these all star games of other sports are like this - a lot of scoring and precious little defense. I watched it because there were Packer players in it. I wanted to see if Rodgers looked sharper than he did against the gnats and he did. Years ago when we didn't have any players in the PB I didn't watch it.

Patler
01-31-2012, 12:10 PM
The score in the NHL All Star game was 11-10. Last year it was 12-11. Not much defense in those games either.

Harlan Huckleby
01-31-2012, 12:40 PM
The Packers played all star games all season, what's the big deal. Maybe somebody already said that.