PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Named Sporting News Executive Of The Year

Scott Campbell
01-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Nobody commented on this yet?

Yay Ted. :worship:

ND72
01-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Just read it. Great honor that is likely a year over due. Good news, he still has work to do.

Gunakor
01-31-2012, 12:15 AM
He was far more deserving of it last season than this season.

SnakeLH2006
01-31-2012, 04:10 AM
I've really been impressed with TT, but with that D this year...I don't get it. TT should just give the award to ARod.

Kiwon
01-31-2012, 05:40 AM
Much deserved.

Bretsky
01-31-2012, 05:43 AM
He was far more deserving of it last season than this season.

Five Clap Post

He was hands down the best candidate last year.
Not sure he's done much since the SB last year to improve things a ton with the exception of Randall Cobb and some we'll see how they work out in time

Patler
01-31-2012, 06:01 AM
Every team has weaknesses. One can nit-pick details of what TT did this year, but the fact is that he managed to put together a team that was good enough to go 15-1 during the regular season. The offense was remarkable, special teams were improved. Yes, the defense regressed, but the combined impact of TT's work was still a team good enough to go 15-1, even after losing their all-Pro safety and starting LT for most of the season, their RT, pro-bowl guard, #1 receiver, one of their top two RBs, a DL and both starting ILBs for a couple games each (Bishop for 3), and a starting corner and their other RB for a game each.

I've never felt like this award was limited to the GM's actions in a specific league year. There are usually a number of deserving guys who over a couple seasons turn a team around and/or deal with adversity well. Thompson dealt with a lot of long term injuries last year and had a team good enough to win the Super Bowl. He dealt with a lot of different but shorter term injuries this year and had a roster good enough to go 15-1.

Starters who missed games in 2011 due to injuries:
Clfton
Bulaga
Sitton
Grant/Starks
Jennings
Pickett
Bishop
Hawk
Williams
Collins

Then throw in expected starters like Neal and Zombo missing most of the season, and you really have to respect the depth TT has established on the roster. Half the starting positions lost starts from the preferred players due to injuries, yet the team went 15-1. We take the "next man up" performance of the Packers for granted. For a lot of teams it does not work out that well.

sheepshead
01-31-2012, 06:54 AM
What about Mike Wahle?

Patler
01-31-2012, 06:59 AM
What about Mike Wahle?

??? :cnf:

sheepshead
01-31-2012, 07:30 AM
It's a comment harkening back to the heady days of Packerrats and JSO when TT was blamed for everything from the weather to the heartbreak of cirrhosis. Mike Wahle was a favorite topic.

gbgary
01-31-2012, 09:49 AM
dang it. that's only going to make him a bigger cheapskate.

mraynrand
01-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Gotta love it when they hand out awards for losing home playoff games. Maybe now I can get grant money for NOT publishing.

Smidgeon
01-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Gotta love it when they hand out awards for losing home playoff games. Maybe now I can get grant money for NOT publishing.

Weren't the Packers favored by over a touchdown in that game?

smuggler
02-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Last season they gave it to that Falcons GM. That guy is good, but not a great GM. Julio Jones proves that.

Pugger
02-01-2012, 01:05 AM

I realize you are being sarcastic but how many GMs assemble a team that wins the Super Bowl and then goes 15-1 the following year? Yes, we laid an egg in the playoff game but I think it is rather harsh to dismiss what this team accomplished.

sheepshead
02-01-2012, 10:14 AM
I realize you are being sarcastic but how many GMs assemble a team that wins the Super Bowl and then goes 15-1 the following year? Yes, we laid an egg in the playoff game but I think it is rather harsh to dismiss what this team accomplished.

Yeah exactly. The General Manager didn't lose that game.

ND72
02-01-2012, 11:11 AM
It's a comment harkening back to the heady days of Packerrats and JSO when TT was blamed for everything from the weather to the heartbreak of cirrhosis. Mike Wahle was a favorite topic.

where's TEXASPACKERBACKER to yell at us when we really need him? I still remember him saying we should keep all our guys, including Taco Wallace..."we're fine"...yikes!

smuggler
02-01-2012, 03:39 PM
With a name like Taco Wallace, what's not to like?