PDA

View Full Version : AJ Hawk; Not excelling or just not being showcased?

RashanGary
08-16-2006, 09:31 PM
This defense is what it is. The DE's line up wide and the OLBs try to force action to the MLB who should be making most of the tackles in the run game.

Hawks main goal on most run plays is to take on the first blocker and push the play inside to Barnett. Barnett should be free becasue the DT's are asked ot prevent inside blockers from getting past the first line of defense.

Many of Hawks assignments are to simply prevent outside runs. He jsut has to stay put and force the run inside. I saw him do that multiple times in the Sandiego game. He's doing his job and doing it well, it's just not as flashy as the MLB in this scheme.

Hawk's going to get some sack oppertunities and he'll have a few chances to jar a ball loose. I didn't see anything in Hawks game that suggested he was struggling. I saw a player who was doing what he asked and barnett was reaping the rewards. That is the way it's going to be all season so let's not expect Hawk to compete with Barnett for tackle #'s. If we're lucky, he'll terrorize QB's on occasion and force a few fumbles though and hopefully he'll never get sick of being the role player that he's being asked to be on most plays. I really hope the coaches reward his selfless assignments with some blitz oppertunites. I know it would get old as a player to just be asked to eat blocks esspecially when you know your better than the guy who's allowed to run free. That is my 2 cents.

4and12to12and4
08-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Well, if your right about his assignments, that makes me feel a lot better about his ability to shed blockers and get to the football. There were many plays that I noticed he would pick a hole or a blocker and just sort of hangout there, while the MLB would be going full steam towards the runner avoiding all contact. By the way, White seemed very good at avoiding contact and sniffing out the runner. I was VERY impressed with his play as I rewatched the second half of the game.

gbpackfan
08-16-2006, 09:49 PM
It is a MLB friendly D.

After watching Hawk on TiVo after family night and then again after game 1, I def. saw an improvement. He was shedding blocks nicely. However, EVERY TIME THEY HAVE HIM BLITZ HE GETS NO WHERE! They need to hide his blitzes a little better. Maybe they aren't showing too many wrinkles in the D because it is preseason.

Point being, Hawk looked better. I expect him to take another forward step Saturday night.

RashanGary
08-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Here is a basic picture just as an example...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/makoutz@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/d8b1re2&.dnm=6402re2.jpg&.src=ph

Joemailman
08-16-2006, 10:09 PM
It is a MLB friendly D.

After watching Hawk on TiVo after family night and then again after game 1, I def. saw an improvement. He was shedding blocks nicely. However, EVERY TIME THEY HAVE HIM BLITZ HE GETS NO WHERE! They need to hide his blitzes a little better. Maybe they aren't showing too many wrinkles in the D because it is preseason.

Point being, Hawk looked better. I expect him to take another forward step Saturday night.

Years ago, when Tony LaRussa was managing the White Sox, there was a game where the White Sox trailed by 1 run in the bottom of the 9th inning. They got the leadoff man on 1st, with Harold Baines up. Baines hit into a double play, and the White Sox lost the game. After the game, a reporter asked LaRussa why he didn't have Baines bunt in that situation. LaRussa answered, "Because Baines is a lousy bunter." As Baines was a bunter, Barnett is a blitzer. Having Barnett blitz is like playing with 10 guys out there. Let Barnett do what he does well.

Doe
08-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Hawk will put up better stats than Barnett. He might not have more tackles, but he should have more game changing type of plays like sacks, forced fumbles and interceptions. Thats why Thompson drafted him so high and why other experts rated him so high. In Barnett's previous four seasons, he hasn't shown much game changing ability. Barnett will always be solid, but unspectacular.

RashanGary
08-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Hawk will put up better stats than Barnett. He might not have more tackles, but he should have more game changing type of plays like sacks, forced fumbles and interceptions. Thats why Thompson drafted him so high and why other experts rated him so high. In Barnett's previous four seasons, he hasn't shown much game changing ability. Barnett will always be solid, but unspectacular.

I agree. Hawk will not get tackles, but he'll be put in position to change the game during critical times. He'll get to blitz on 3rd and 9 and he'll have the chance to make big hits in the flat as well as WR's and TE's coming across the middle. As a Packer fan, my hope is that Barnett rings up 190 tackles and Hawk gets 105 with 5 sacks, 2 FF and 2 INT's. If Hawk can make the big plays, the Packers will win games. Simple as that. I just hope the coaches give him those chances. If not, we're going to be a group of frustrated fans as we watch our #5 pick just eat blocks and play basic drop back pass coverage instead of aggressive blitzing.

RashanGary
08-16-2006, 10:54 PM
I just listened to Hawks video clip from yesterday. A reporter asked him if he felt pressure to do more becuase he was the #5 and he hasn't stood out as much as some had hoped.

He said and I paraphrase here "I'm in my spot. I'm making mistakes from time to time, but I try not to make the same mistake twice." He then added that when a reporter asked him if he felt pressure on draft day and Hawk said yes, he always feels pressure to do his best, TT came to him and told him just to do what he does and not to press or try to do too much.

It's so refreshing to hear a guy who's not all about the glitz and glamour like Fagnett. Hawk is all about being in his position to help the team make the play.

If Hawk can do a good job eating blcoks, Barnett will have more clean tackles and as a team, everyone wins. Barnett looks like the king to the average fan, but Hawk might have just fended off an OG which pushed the play to #56. There is more to football that what happens at the end of the play. Sometimes the guy who looks like he's being gobbled up is really doing what he's supposed to be and allowing the team to make the play. I think we need to remember that.

PTPaQ
08-16-2006, 11:53 PM
If were stopping the run consistantly, I really dont care whos job is what and who gets the glory.

Rest asure...Hawk will do his thing.

SD GB fan
08-17-2006, 01:04 AM
i sure hope hawk does make those critical plays and turnovers when needed cos a top 5 pick is awfully high for a space filler/eating up blocks.

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 01:25 AM
Interesting read.

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 02:00 AM
Wed. August 16,2006 - from Chris Havel's - Rants and Rave's

For all the talk about moving Nick Barnett out of the middle linebacker spot, he was another of the few bright spots.

Barnett is a pro. It isn't his fault if it turns out that a certain high draft pick can't cut it at outside linebacker.

The idea is to get the best three linebackers on the field.

Right now, that's Barnett, Brady Poppinga (as soon as he's healthy) and Ben Taylor, with Roy Manning just off the pace.

Suuuurrrre !!

Is this fella into the sauce? :mrgreen:

CaliforniaCheez
08-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Let me repeat.

Most rookies have bad rookie years. Bubba Franks, Mike Wahle, etc.

The best you can hope for is an below average to average looking rookie like Nick Barnett and Nick Collins.

There are very few Willie Buchannon's who come in and perform well as the Packer's first round pick.

b bulldog
08-17-2006, 03:57 PM
I thought almost all in here kept telling me that AJ will have the most impact as a R over the other R's.

ND72
08-17-2006, 05:50 PM
people are blowing things up way to much with AJ. against SD he had a very solid game. He's improved every week. Remember, that our defense is designed to filter everything to the MLB. so if he forces a play to Barnett, he's doing his job.

All i keep reading is how bad AJ is doing, how he gave up that huge pass play against Antonio Gates...probably the best TE inthe game right now, and someone that does that weekly to LB's. But why haven't i heard a peep about Greg Jennings dropped 4th down pass? how bout every stop bitching and start learning that he's improving. if you don't understand that, don't write, you just sound like an idiot for not having any knowledge.

MJZiggy
08-17-2006, 06:07 PM
It's a good thing that he also said in that interview that he doesn't feel the pressure because he never hears it. He said the only time there's any mention of his performance is when the reporters in the lockerroom bring it up.

I think that qualifies for a little ZIINGGG!! :razz:

b bulldog
08-17-2006, 10:20 PM
What did you expect him to say, man the pressure at this level is super extreme. Fans think that if your picked fifth overall and being paid as a superstar, you need to be a playmaker!

Cheesehead Craig
08-17-2006, 10:30 PM
If were stopping the run consistantly, I really dont care whos job is what and who gets the glory.

Rest asure...Hawk will do his thing.
Amen brother!

Joemailman
08-17-2006, 10:47 PM
What did you expect him to say, man the pressure at this level is super extreme. Fans think that if your picked fifth overall and being paid as a superstar, you need to be a playmaker!

Knowledgeable fans understand that may not happen in the 1st pre-season game.

woodbuck27
08-18-2006, 12:47 AM
AJ HAWK will be fine if he closes out the media BS.

He seems very well adjusted and focused. He isn't all blown up in his head and what i saw on video of his College plays amazed me. Both he and Abdul Hodge are attack and pursue beasts.

It's just awesome that Ted Thompson landed these two young players.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH !!

RashanGary
08-18-2006, 02:44 AM
I thought almost all in here kept telling me that AJ will have the most impact as a R over the other R's.

Hawks impact won't be judged only in tackles. It will be judged in Sacks, INT's, QB Pressures, Forced Fumbles and assignment sure play. Just because Barnett gets most of the tackles doesn't mean Hawk can't be the biggest impact as a LB.

I think Hawk will be just fine. I think he's better than Mario right now.

Rastak
08-18-2006, 06:07 AM

Hawks impact won't be judged only in tackles. It will be judged in Sacks, INT's, QB Pressures, Forced Fumbles and assignment sure play. Just because Barnett gets most of the tackles doesn't mean Hawk can't be the biggest impact as a LB.

I think Hawk will be just fine. I think he's better than Mario right now.

Has Mario had a bad camp?

b bulldog
08-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Well I was the one saying Mario would have a learning curve till mid season in 07. I actually think that Mario as of right now is no worse than Hawk. Hawk made one big play so far and looks to be thinking too much. Come on Nick, you said Hawk will come in and be very good right from the beginning, didn't you? He was the "most NFL ready rookie"

RashanGary
08-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Well I was the one saying Mario would have a learning curve till mid season in 07. I actually think that Mario as of right now is no worse than Hawk. Hawk made one big play so far and looks to be thinking too much. Come on Nick, you said Hawk will come in and be very good right from the beginning, didn't you? He was the "most NFL ready rookie"

Acctually, I bet that Hawk would have a better rookie year than Mario and you bet Mario would. We can't really back out of bets adn even if I could, I wouldn't. I still think Hawk will have a better rookie year and we made that bet long before GB took Hawk.

Hawk is having a good camp. It's reporters who don't know shit that keep talking about him not making an impact. Do you think that Chris Havel even knows what Hawk is supposed to be doing? How can he judge Hawks play if he doesn't even know what it's supposed to look like. I started this thread with the premise that Hawk is doing a great job, but idiot reporters and a few fans are misunderstanding what he's supposed to be doing. Maybe I was misunderstood. I never said Hawk wasn't doing great. Acctually, I think he'll be the second best rookie this year after REggie Bush.

Cheesehead Craig
08-18-2006, 03:54 PM
I think Hawk will be a very good player, let's give the guy a chance before condemming him after what 3 weeks of practice and 1 preseason game.

b bulldog
08-18-2006, 05:19 PM
I said that Mario would need a year and a half to be a dominant DE and for what you say about Havel, I could care less cause all he is, is a Favre wannabe best friend. He is full of himself imo but from what I've read, Mario has had a very good camp although his first preseason game was a bust and Hawk made some plays against SD's #2's! If you say we made that bet than I'll take your word for it and I'll stick with Mario this season and will DEFINITELY stick with him in regards to comparing careers.

Deputy Nutz
08-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Oh for shits sakes, Jennings writes on a good topic that makes some sense, and some of you still don't get it. Watch Hawk every play and you will realize that he is very rarely out of position. He had a bad play against Gates, it happens, but nobody cares to mention the fact that he crushed the other San Diego TE with the really long name out in the flat, he made a perfect read of Rivers, and got to the reciever as soon as the ball got there. It was a thing of beauty, no other linebacker on the team has those type of instincts. Maybe some of you need to start paying attention to the good plays AJ makes verses the one or two bad ones that pop up.

Just another reason why I hate Packer fans. :mad:

b bulldog
08-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Jennings will be the best R on the Packers team this season.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2006, 11:00 PM
On the move: The reason that [A.J.] Hawk looked better in the third week of camp than he did in the first two is simple, according to [Nick] Barnett.

"He's learning," he said. "And once he learns then he can start playing."

Hawk is starting in the base, nickel, goal-line and "Rhino" defenses and backing up Barnett in the dime.

"Think about it," Barnett said. "When I was a rookie I didn't play the '45' (nickel) or '46' (dime). Remember, (Na'il) Diggs was playing '46' through the first game. After the first game they taught me '46' and kept it real basic so I could learn.

"He has a lot to learn. Once he learns up all that stuff he'll be good. He's learning fast, though."