PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Night Games

Brando19
02-04-2012, 12:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7537208/nfl-adding-more-thursday-games-schedule-commissioner-roger-goodell-says

Looks like the NFL's going to have Thursday night games from Week 2 to Week 15 now. I don't have the NFL Network, but now I may think about getting it.

mmmdk
02-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Thursday night games suck! Thanksgiving games are cool though.

pbmax
02-06-2012, 09:33 AM
I hope this stops soon (but am doubtful it will). Too many nights and way to easy to miss games you would otherwise watch. I know I am not the coveted eyeballs, but at some point if I miss enough of the season, its going to affect how much I care.

denverYooper
02-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Yeah, one thing I've generally liked about football is that it's mostly concentrated on Sundays so it's a once-per-week commitment that I don't usually mind making.

gbgary
02-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Thursday night games suck! Thanksgiving games are cool though.

this. hopefully they work around bye weeks for most of these games/teams.

Freak Out
02-06-2012, 11:20 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

gbgary
02-06-2012, 11:22 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

put them on saturday night. at least the teams involved won't be taking it up the wazoo as bad.

channtheman
02-06-2012, 11:57 AM
I can't count how many times I forgot all about the Thursday night games this past year. Fortunately it was usually really shitty teams playing like the Jaguars or the Browns so I didn't care so much. I would be annoyed if it was a good matchup that I forgot about though.

Now that I think about it, though, this is the NFL's way to get people to watch the shit games no one ever watches on Sundays anyway (except for the fans of those teams). I was wondering why so many of the Thursday night games were garbage teams.

pbmax
02-06-2012, 12:24 PM
The NFL cannot play on Saturday until the college football reg season is over. And the way that season is dragging out, its not before December when the calendar clears. I don't recall if they are specifically forbidden by law, but I think its a part of their partial anti-trust exemption that they not compete with college football on Saturday.

Smeefers
02-06-2012, 12:30 PM
I heard something about every team getting a thursday game. Pretty much I sum it up with "great, another game I can't watch because it's on a station I don't get." and I really don't care. I have a hard enough time getting one day of football in a week, let alone two or three. A monday game was cool because it was national and it didn't really interupt the flow of things. A thursday game screws everyone. Every team will have a 3 games in 10 or 11 days next year.

gbgary
02-06-2012, 03:53 PM
F college football! the games are on other channels and not at nfl stadiums so what's the harm? it's only one game, not a complete nfl weekend schedule.

pbmax
02-06-2012, 04:17 PM
F college football! the games are on other channels and not at nfl stadiums so what's the harm? it's only one game, not a complete nfl weekend schedule.

Well, when the legislation was considered, college football was FAR more popular than the struggling pro league. So it was College Football throwing its weight around. Now it might be one of the few things protecting it.

Smeefers
02-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Well, when the legislation was considered, college football was FAR more popular than the struggling pro league. So it was College Football throwing its weight around. Now it might be one of the few things protecting it.

Wait, the NFL can't play on Saturdays is legislated? Frickin monopoly rules.

Cheesehead Craig
02-07-2012, 08:28 AM
This is really going to fuck up fantasy football leagues.

woodbuck27
02-07-2012, 08:59 AM
I can't count how many times I forgot all about the Thursday night games this past year. Fortunately it was usually really shitty teams playing like the Jaguars or the Browns so I didn't care so much. I would be annoyed if it was a good matchup that I forgot about though.

Now that I think about it, though, this is the NFL's way to get people to watch the shit games no one ever watches on Sundays anyway (except for the fans of those teams). I was wondering why so many of the Thursday night games were garbage teams.

It's arguable which games schedule was worst. The Monday night Vs Thursday Night schedule. The Monday night schedule this past season was horrrible. Monday Night Football became:

Monday 'Shitty Monday' Football. I really don't get it. Normally good TV includes some valued added incentive to want to watch something.Watching Jacksonville Vs anyone really doesn't fill out my muffins.

Joemailman
02-07-2012, 09:04 AM
This is really going to fuck up fantasy football leagues.

Well, checking your roster to see if any of your players are playing on Thursday will now become part of your weekly routine (if you have one.). The tricky part will be not being sure if any of your injured players scheduled to play on Sunday will be ready to play that week.