PDA

View Full Version : Where should I live?

3irty1
02-06-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm moving. I'm open it anything in the USA. I like Milwaukee but a change of scenery has been a long time coming. In the end career options will likely play a big part in my decision but I've got a fairly marketable skill with enough need that I should be able to pseudo-pick where I want to live. You can certainly help me decide what cities will get my resume.

So how about it older and wiser friends?

George Cumby
02-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Go West, Young Man.

The mid-west is nice, but the unlimited potential of the American West is a powerful thing.

MJZiggy
02-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Funny, I was going to say east coast. When I left Milwaukee, I just wanted to be warm, so went to Florida. That was fine for a few years. Then came to Maryland for the good schools, nearby cities, trails, parks, rivers, inflated job market, etc.

None of that matters though. The question becomes what do you want to get out of your new city? Do you like desert or green? When I lived in FL, I missed hills. When my brother moved to San Diego, he missed snow. But there's something wrong with that boy, so pay him no mind. But you get the idea. Figure out what you want from a place and when you start to research, an answer will begin to present itself.

3irty1
02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
I already sent out a resume to Miami, although I'm not going to lie its probably only because I binged on Dexter and Burn Notice in January. That's how open of a race this is.

I can get along in pretty much any climate, its merely a trade off between wearing the clothes I want to wear or the clothes I want the women around me to wear. In general I do prefer a nice blue collar city though. Also I can't imagine going much smaller than Milwaukee.

Little Whiskey
02-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Maine is one of my favorite states to visit. I should say that I''ve only ever been to the coast. Mid-Coast is the section that I always return to.

Traverse City Michigan is a pretty cool town. More of a bigger vacation town. But you get nice sandy beaches in the summer and still get winter. Lake Michigan is so different on the Michigan side of the lake. The beaches are actually sandy instead of rocks.

I agree with Cumby about the west. Colorado, Montana, or Idaho.

If I was going to move somewhere warm I might look into a caribeen Island. Saint Marteen was a cool Island. I have no idea if you could work outside of tourism though. If you still wanted to stay in the States. how about the virgin islands?

3irty1
02-06-2012, 06:41 PM
how about the virgin islands?

If I moved there they'd have to rename them to just "the islands." :rs:

Iron Mike
02-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Take the quiz.....

http://www.findyourspot.com/

SkinBasket
02-06-2012, 07:35 PM
If you move to Cincinnati, I'll buy you a sandwich. Or something of equivalent value.

MJZiggy
02-06-2012, 07:36 PM
If you move to Cincinnati, I'll buy you a sandwich. Or something of equivalent value.

You need a new friend? (knowing I'm not moving to Cincinnati)

3irty1
02-06-2012, 07:49 PM

Can you vouch for the chili?

MadtownPacker
02-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Dont move to Cali, unless you want to move to Mexico.

Deputy Nutz
02-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Well I am all jacked up right now on building up my survival skills for the upcoming collapse due to watching the new show on Nat Geo called Doomsday Preppers, so I have done some research on best place to live when the shit hits the fan. I would look to live some where in the South because you don't want to deal with shitty winter weather. My suggestion would be certain parts of the Carolinas. If you a vigilant you could live in a large urban setting like Charlotte, but be careful and aware and have a spot where you can bug out.

Little Whiskey
02-06-2012, 08:40 PM

I've been to downtown cincy a couple times. Once for a wedding and another to watch a weekend series of brewers baseball. I enjoyed downtown cincy its a pretty small but fun city. I really liked both their stadiums (the wedding was at Paul Brown stadium).

I couldn't see why everyone is up on their chili. its not that great. kinda shitty actually

HowardRoark
02-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Anyone ever lived in Grand Junction or Glenwood Springs?

George Cumby
02-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Anyone ever lived in Grand Junction or Glenwood Springs?

No, but spent some time in Fort Collins and found it to be pretty nice.

Freak Out
02-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Portland Oregon.....or if you like snow Anchorage Alaska.

ThunderDan
02-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Take the quiz.....

http://www.findyourspot.com/

OK, I took that quiz and got Champaign-Urbana as #1. My top 24 also included Sheboygan. Santa Cruz seems more like what I really want.

Little Whiskey
02-07-2012, 06:16 AM
OK, I took that quiz and got Champaign-Urbana as #1.

have fun with that one! I have a client down in that area. I'm down there every week. its pretty boring for a college town.

SkinBasket
02-07-2012, 07:01 AM

We've discussed this before. I cannot, or rather, will not, vouch for this ridiculous delusion the people around here try to pass off as "chili." It is spaghetti. Spaghetti with a terrible, bland tomato sauce, which you then have to pay extra to top with onions, cheese, or beans. The fact a city would try to tie it's identity to this abomination should be enough to make you realize the kind of people you're dealing with here. That being said, it is nice as far as cities go. More bums than usual, but they're pretty relaxed. So are the blacks. Not nearly as ghetto angry trying-to-be-hard as Milwaukee's black community. I would still aim for something in the mountains if I were you though.

Oh, and the local self-proclaimed pizza of Cincinnati is shit too. Plenty of good single location places though. Actually there is an overwhelming abundance of places to eat in and around the city.

SkinBasket
02-07-2012, 07:13 AM
My survey results:

1. Idaho Falls, Idaho
2. Loveland, Colorado (strange, since I currently live in the other Loveland)
3. Boise, Idaho
4. Colorado Springs, Colorado
5. Billings, Montana

Iron Mike
02-07-2012, 07:20 AM
OK, I took that quiz and got Champaign-Urbana as #1. My top 24 also included Sheboygan. Santa Cruz seems more like what I really want.

I haven't been to Santa Cruz since 1998, but even then it was still a place where old hippies go to die....

Hmm....when I was stationed about 40 minutes away, Surf Dog was actually an old hippy cooking hot dogs over a hibachi:

http://surfdogsantacruz.com/index.html

3irty1
02-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Let's limit this to places with metro areas of ~2 million or more. I want the option of picking up girls on weeknights. I'm also a bit of a food guy and like having top notch cuisine around. I like having major league baseball in town.

So let's talk about stuff in the top 50 or so on this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Ar eas

If I had to pick between ocean and mountains I'd take ocean. Or even big lake. I'm not a big boater or skiier but I am a big seafooder. Alaska pretty much ruined midwestern seafood for me. If you hate people but love seafood and views, AK is paradise. Until its dark for half the year.

George Cumby
02-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Given your criteria:

San Diego.

Hands Down.

If you count the Padres as major league.

3irty1
02-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Given your criteria:

San Diego.

Hands Down.

If you count the Padres as major league.

Oh the Padres count. The best zoo in the country sounds nice too, and I have some shreds of family there. San Diego has earned a few resumes, good tip.

Deputy Nutz
02-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Charlotte, North Carolina, you will thank me later.

MJZiggy
02-07-2012, 04:24 PM

He makes a compelling argument. Or Raleigh for its tech, but Raleigh doesn't have the college girls.

SkinBasket
02-07-2012, 05:48 PM

Too many gays.

Freak Out
02-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Parts of California are amazing....just a perfect environment.....but then you add the people and the taxes and things go downhill. I love Maui and the Big Island....there are a few spots on Oahu I could live. The "Island Fever" thing is overblown bullshit....big old Jet Airplanes leave all the fucking time. Hang loose baby.

George Cumby
02-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Parts of California are amazing....just a perfect environment.....but then you add the people and the taxes and things go downhill. I love Maui and the Big Island....there are a few spots on Oahu I could live. The "Island Fever" thing is overblown bullshit....big old Jet Airplanes leave all the fucking time. Hang loose baby.

oooooooh.

Now the Big Island, I could get into that.

easy cheesy
02-08-2012, 12:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BNgRpRuWGs

This lifestyle could be applied to any city no matter the population or demographics.... awesome!

Iron Mike
02-08-2012, 07:15 AM
oooooooh.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/u7cSKJbYE1z_nGluji6QntTnUvYRpO4qUFUIbKlM-ONeeJzpXKcuOq0TyKMulQPtMI6YyxxoSQD1kcG7F_dLnsSI19n YyPDRl-CM8n2V7P8j5nGE5DY

sheepshead
02-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Youre single? live a while in Chicago, New York or Boston. In the city. Not the suburbs. Just sayin'

Zool
02-08-2012, 10:57 AM
oooooooh.

Fuck yes. I just got back from the Kona side. I'll be retiring there some day.

Freak Out
02-08-2012, 11:30 AM
My wife and I go every year for a month or so....I love Waimea. Kona is pretty damn nice....I love Hilo/ North Hilo. I bought 5 acres land (Jungle/Lava) in Puna back in my stoner days for $2000. Rain, rain and more rain.....lol. I have never done anything with it other than plant some trees and such. We'll start to spend more time there in the winter in the next few years........

Patler
02-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Have you checked with your parole officer to see if you can leave the state???

Cheesehead Craig
02-08-2012, 02:27 PM

Charlotte is pretty sweet. Loved NC.

3irty1
02-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Have you checked with your parole officer to see if you can leave the state???

Nope, she's gone and I'm single.

Iron Mike
02-08-2012, 06:29 PM
My wife and I go every year for a month or so....I love Waimea. Kona is pretty damn nice....I love Hilo/ North Hilo. I bought 5 acres land (Jungle/Lava) in Puna back in my stoner days for $2000. Rain, rain and more rain.....lol. I have never done anything with it other than plant some trees and such. We'll start to spend more time there in the winter in the next few years........

There used to be a dude in Pahoa from Wisconsin that had a hot dog place called the "Meaner Wiener."

MadtownPacker
02-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Fuck your Alaskan Meth trucker ass!! There are places you can get away. Just gotta have bank.

MadtownPacker
02-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Im calling the Feds MFer. Certain that some bad shit is going on there.

HowardRoark
02-08-2012, 09:15 PM
http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/trips/best-ski-towns-photos/

George Cumby
02-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Fuck yes. I just got back from the Kona side. I'll be retiring there some day.

Spent ten days in Kapa'au this fall. Fuckin' A fell in love with the place.

Totally awesome snorkelling and everything else.

You make it to Pololu Valley?

Zool
02-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Spent ten days in Kapa'au this fall. Fuckin' A fell in love with the place.

Totally awesome snorkelling and everything else.

You make it to Pololu Valley?

We were just north of Kona. Made it to Akaka falls and another day just randomly drove north along the coast until we found a dead end sign, then found some cliffs. Didnt make it to the observatory or the active volcano...I will next time.

Freak Out
02-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Im calling the Feds MFer. Certain that some bad shit is going on there.

You would LOVE the bad shit going on.

Freak Out
02-09-2012, 11:24 AM
http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/trips/best-ski-towns-photos/

It's pretty nice living 35 minutes away. Just an epic winter so far.

Been using my Line Prophet fattys all winter....aint touched the GS boards yet.

HowardRoark
02-09-2012, 05:58 PM
It's pretty nice living 35 minutes away. Just an epic winter so far.

Been using my Line Prophet fattys all winter....aint touched the GS boards yet.

Have you ever skied on Fischer Progressor 8+ or 9+......I'm thinking about getting a pair.

Freak Out
02-09-2012, 06:18 PM
No....I've had a bunch of nordic boards from Fischer but have never had any Alpine stuff. I was going to demo a pair from the Watea line but fell in love with these Line Prophets. They make great stuff.....those Progressors look like they would rip most anything outside of powder.