PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers: talking too much or just saying it like it is?

wootah
02-08-2012, 04:07 AM
Some of the press clippings released the last couple of days show a straightforward Aaron Rodgers, who doesn't hold back his opinion. 2 examples that come to mind:

Regarding the new QB coach:

- On the possibility of tight ends coach Ben McAdoo becoming quarterbacks coach and if it you be a good move for Rodgers: "Well, I think that is an interesting conversation I hope I’m in the loop for. Because I’m in my eighth season. It will be interesting to see what direction he wants to go in, if he wants to bring in a former quarterback with experience to kind of help me with the transition into the middle part of my career, a more of an established player in the league now. I’m not sure what the dynamic would be with a coach who hasn’t coached the position before. But Ben is a very a talented coach and if they do make that decision, I’m sure he will make a smooth transition."
- On what his reaction would be if broadcaster Rich Gannon left the booth to become his position coach: "We have a really good relationship and I have a lot of respect for Rich. That would be kind of what I was talking about when you look at a guy who has played in the league for a long time and can help with the transition into the middle stages of a career, as Rich really didn’t become a starter until he was in his sixth, seventh, eighth year and had lots of success after he turned 30." link (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/138896569.html)

On the Giants defense faking injuries:

It was a big part of of our game-plan to try to speed the tempo up against them. Keep them on the field for longer drives. Do everything at the line of scrimmage. to combat that, there was a little bit of gamesmanship on their side. Some phantom injuries you might call them to try to slow us down and give them some time to recover during a couple of those drives. Check it out tonight. If the patriots get into a rhythym. And do a few drives in a row. You might see a little of that gamesmanship from the Giants. link (http://tucsoncitizen.com/usa-today-sports/2012/02/05/rodgers-giants-faked-phantom-injuries/)

It has been discussed before that everything Rodgers says in the media is well thought of; he has admitted this himself. The comments on the QB coach read like a vote of no confidence for McAdoo to me. The fact that he wants to be involved in the decision making process doesn't feel right either. What's next? Demanding TT to sign Moss? :wink:

Also, even if it's true, making the comment on the Giants D right before the Superbowl, is not exactly an act of class & sportsmanship itself. He should know better than this IMO.

What is your take on this: is he right for voicing his opinions or should he show a bit more restraint on these matters?

Gunakor
02-08-2012, 04:33 AM
Of course Rodgers is interested in who Clements' successor is as his position coach. Rodgers is no novice anymore, yet knows he can be better. His next position coach has to be someone that can help him improve. Gannon certainly has things he could teach to Rodgers, especially at this stage of Rodgers' career. It's not NFL quarterbacking 101 anymore, he needs someone capable of teaching an advanced QB class now. McAdoo might not be that guy. That's how I read it and I don't disagree.

Upnorth
02-08-2012, 06:55 AM
While I don't disagree with what Arod wants, his candor when implying he should be a part of the process is a red flag to me. This is a behind closed doors event and players should not use the media to lobby OBALOO 39

Smeefers
02-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Bah, he's no were near demanding anything like Favre was. All he said is "ehhhh, I don't know if I wanna work with a rookie coach. You know, the person who's supposed to know more than me about the position, the person who's supposed to pass down their knowledge and the person who I have to be confident in when they tell me to tweek my throwing motion or foot placement or whatever. My last coach did just get me the MVP and the Super bowl MVP the year before. Don't give me someone *I* have to teach. I'd rather have someone who's been there and done that, like Rich."

pbmax
02-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Its a concern that its public, but he does not seem to do it in a haphazard way. I am more concerned by QBs who wish to be GMs (and he has commented at times about keeping players) or talk about the guys on the team (he has done that as well). He seems to know where to draw the line. As long as he does not begin to hold a grudge or push more leverage, it's DefCon 5 for me.

I think there is a case to be made that an experienced hand might help more than someone new. Its also less likely that he will be able to willfully ignore them, ala Brett and Darrell Bevell.

But its possible that McAdoo is the best available candidate. A lot of coaches are spoken for.

gbgary
02-08-2012, 07:50 AM
he's got skins and respect. people/media want his take on things. superbowl week is nothing but media. he's got a loooong way to go to become a prema donna.

Old School
02-08-2012, 08:58 AM
There's no reason he couldn't have said that the next QB coach is a management decision regardless of his opinion. Then he should lobby behind the scenes with the powers that be.

I can't help but wonder if successful athletes get big heads because their heads have to grow to accomodate their big mouths.

ND72
02-08-2012, 09:41 AM
I don't disagree with Rodgers, but I also don't agree with him making more than Thompson/McCarthyism type comment, as in consistently telling you nothing. McAdo is actually well regarded throughout the league, and on offense, QB coaching is pretty much next in line after the OC. Holmgren did this many times through Favre's career. Andy Reid was the OL coach and then became the QB coach. I said right away I wouldn't be surprised if Gannon came into the fold on McCarthy's staff since he and McCarthy are so chumy, but I have no issues with McAdo moving up, especially since some other team could hire him as their coach since that is considered a promotion.

Pugger
02-08-2012, 10:17 AM
I think we are all wary of having another QB who wants to me more involved in decisions that should only be made by McC and/or TT. ;-)

Smidgeon
02-08-2012, 10:44 AM
There's no reason he couldn't have said that the next QB coach is a management decision regardless of his opinion. Then he should lobby behind the scenes with the powers that be.

I can't help but wonder if successful athletes get big heads because their heads have to grow to accomodate their big mouths.

He did:

"...I’m not sure what the dynamic would be with a coach who hasn’t coached the position before. But Ben is a very a talented coach and if they do make that decision, I’m sure he will make a smooth transition."

pbmax
02-08-2012, 11:17 AM
He did:

"...I’m not sure what the dynamic would be with a coach who hasn’t coached the position before. But Ben is a very a talented coach and if they do make that decision, I’m sure he will make a smooth transition."

That is the distinction he is making so far, that he is expressing a preference but isn't going to hold a grudge if it doesn't work out like that. If he can hold on to that (and the inevitable stories about conflict that will arise if McAdoo is hired) then it will be OK. But entitlement is a hard thing to shake when you are uber-successful.

sharpe1027
02-08-2012, 11:25 AM
I defended similar comments from Favre up until I felt that he had crossed the line and could not return. I think you could read into Rodgers' statements, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

MadtownPacker
02-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Oh man when Nutz get to this thread....... :lol:

IMO and thats all it is, like Favre, Rodgers has given the franchise and it's fans what they so badly root for. A SuperBowl win. He invested his chips waiting to start and cleary wanted to be the Packers QB. If he says something I believe he truly believes it is in the best interest of the Packers. Right or wrong he can say what he wants. How others react is on them. He is the new "Leader of the Pack" and if he crosses the line M3 or TT can check him. Unless it is for demanding Larry Fitzgerald. They would be badass.

pbmax
02-09-2012, 07:29 AM
One thing seems consistent from McCarthy, compared to Sherman's tenure, is that the QB does not seem to be holding sway. Right or wrong, this seems like M3's call.

If McAdoo is Reid, no one will ever be able to complain. Favre won 2 MVPs with Reid as QB guru. And Reid was not a pro QB and his lineage in professional coaching was O line to TE work.

Wilde recalled that the Bevell/Favre relationship was one sided, to the players advantage early. I don't remember why Rossley was taken off that gig and Bevell hired though.

sharpe1027
02-09-2012, 09:22 AM
And Reid was not a pro QB and his lineage in professional coaching was O line to TE work.

McCarthy was a college TE, and yet he has a very good track record developing QBs.

ND72
02-09-2012, 10:20 AM
One thing seems consistent from McCarthy, compared to Sherman's tenure, is that the QB does not seem to be holding sway. Right or wrong, this seems like M3's call.

If McAdoo is Reid, no one will ever be able to complain. Favre won 2 MVPs with Reid as QB guru. And Reid was not a pro QB and his lineage in professional coaching was O line to TE work.

Wilde recalled that the Bevell/Favre relationship was one sided, to the players advantage early. I don't remember why Rossley was taken off that gig and Bevell hired though.

Bevell was a joke from the start, IMO. I can't believe he is still an OC in the NFL. I always thought from the start it was a hire to apease Favre, and one that wouldn't over-ride anything he wanted or did.

ND72
02-09-2012, 10:22 AM
McCarthy was a college TE, and yet he has a very good track record developing QBs.

One things I've become good at also is working with QB's and I'm an OL guy. I don't do any x's and o's with any of the QB's but work on fundamentals, especially in the passing game, because I understand what my guys up front are trying to accomplish, so I can easily translate that to the guy back to throw. Might be something similar for McCarthy...however, I don't think I'll be in the NFL anytime soon.