PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts...

ND72
02-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Mario Williams....IF he reaches free agency, do we have the $$ to even think of going after him? Does Ted reach into the piggy bank if it's a possibility?

MadScientist
02-09-2012, 01:27 PM
No, not unless we don't want to keep AR or CM3. The problem with having a really good team is that the talent gets expensive to keep without even considering top talent from other teams.

Even if we did have the $$ and even if TT was willing, Williams will still never hit FA so the question doesn't matter.

BlueBrewer
02-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Mario Williams....IF he reaches free agency, do we have the $$ to even think of going after him? Does Ted reach into the piggy bank if it's a possibility?

Sorry but that is a fantasy, he would be way too expensive for Ted and our cap.

Pugger
02-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Opps! :oops:

Pugger
02-09-2012, 01:42 PM
I'll be VERY surprised if he becomes a FA.

sharpe1027
02-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Other discussions suggest they will need to be creative just to keep their current guys and sign their draft picks. With all of the pro-rated salary components, they can't just cut guys with big salaries to get immediate money. They might have to gut the team to make it work.

Upnorth
02-09-2012, 03:28 PM
If he is very discounted we would. Unfortunately he's not discounted.

Deputy Nutz
02-09-2012, 03:39 PM
I think Mario Williams would be a vital part of improving the defense, but he is going to get Franchised and make about 10 million a year for Houston, although Houston has some talent at defensive end. Still the Packers need to get a difference maker at defensive end, right now they got one decent end in Pickett but he can't presure the passer, they need guys that can get up field and create big plays, Raji is limited without another active defensive linemen.

I guess this off season will open a window so fans can get a better peek into the workings of Ted Thompson and whether he truly feels that the Packers have severe limitations in terms of personal on defense. Last year he failed to provide the defense with any significant upgrades choosing to draft three offensive players in the first 3 rounds. I believe it is still Thompson and McCarthy's strategy to protect Rodgers from any and all criticism by providing and focusing on upgrading the offense above all else.

Thompson did draft Mathews and Raji, in fact he moved up to get two first round picks to spend on the defense, but that is also when the Packers switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4. The Packers needed an overhaul considering they had a defensive personal suited to play in a 4-3.

Thompson believed in Mike Neal, he drafted him, but it was a failure and cost this team another Super Bowl. I do believe that if the Packers solidified their defensive line, the Packers ROLB position wouldn't have been so piss poor. You simply can't throw a band aid on this situation and hope it improves by training camp.

red
02-09-2012, 03:52 PM
i don't think we have the cap room for him

i've been thinking a lot about how our cap situation is going to be looking in the next year or two

we've got some young guys getting ready to get some big contracts soon

pbmax
02-09-2012, 04:01 PM
I think Mario Williams would be a vital part of improving the defense, but he is going to get Franchised and make about 10 million a year for Houston, although Houston has some talent at defensive end. Still the Packers need to get a difference maker at defensive end, right now they got one decent end in Pickett but he can't presure the passer, they need guys that can get up field and create big plays, Raji is limited without another active defensive linemen.

I guess this off season will open a window so fans can get a better peek into the workings of Ted Thompson and whether he truly feels that the Packers have severe limitations in terms of personal on defense. Last year he failed to provide the defense with any significant upgrades choosing to draft three offensive players in the first 3 rounds. I believe it is still Thompson and McCarthy's strategy to protect Rodgers from any and all criticism by providing and focusing on upgrading the offense above all else.

Thompson did draft Mathews and Raji, in fact he moved up to get two first round picks to spend on the defense, but that is also when the Packers switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4. The Packers needed an overhaul considering they had a defensive personal suited to play in a 4-3.

Thompson believed in Mike Neal, he drafted him, but it was a failure and cost this team another Super Bowl. I do believe that if the Packers solidified their defensive line, the Packers ROLB position wouldn't have been so piss poor. You simply can't throw a band aid on this situation and hope it improves by training camp.

Williams played OLB in Phillips 3-4. So he would not seem to be an answer to a 3-4 DE question.

Brandon494
02-09-2012, 06:09 PM
I think we should trade Driver and a 3rd round pick to the Giants for Jason Pierre-Paul....oh wait this is real life not Madden 12.

ThunderDan
02-09-2012, 07:51 PM

The Texans aren't franchising Williams this year. For some reason he would count $22.9 M against the cap if tagged. Some combination of his $18 M 2011 number plus excalator.

The Texans will work as hard as possible to sign a long-term deal. My guess is they tell Mario to try the waters and they will match any contract offer.

KYPack
02-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Firstly, love the "Bigfoot" avatar. But, in a Mariners uni?

We've started last season with a couple holes on D and a 3rd one opened up. Now we sit with those same 3 holes. We need a S (Collins makes a miracle return?) and RDE and ROLB. That's a bunch of patching. I think we'll get one filled, but all 3?

A tall order.

gbgary
02-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Opps! :oops:

did you fart or something?

Pugger
02-09-2012, 11:09 PM
did you fart or something?

:lol: I accidently put in a double post.

pittstang5
02-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Here's a thought. If the Eagles release Jenkins, which last I heard is a possiblity, should TT think about signing him. I doubt it, but I think this scenario is slightly more believable than signing Williams. Also, who knows if Jenkins would want to come back.

However, due to TT's track record and the Packers Cap situation, I think Packers will do nothing in free agency except try to sign and/or rework their own players. I'm thinking the only way the Packers are going to attempt to fix there defensive problems is going to be through the draft.

Bretsky
02-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Is this a teaser thread for me ? Not falling into the trap...TT won't go after any high profile FA's

Scott Campbell
02-10-2012, 07:23 AM
I believe it is still Thompson and McCarthy's strategy to protect Rodgers from any and all criticism by providing and focusing on upgrading the offense above all else.

That's quite a conspiracy theory.

ND72
02-10-2012, 08:20 AM
I don't really think we'd go after him, but it's the offseason and I wanna talk some football instead of all this political stuff going on in the world...and lets face it, the NBA sucks.

First off, Texans won't franchise Williams because of the weirdly HUGE franchise rate. I do expect them to sign him back, but there is that possibility that Williams wants to see what he's worth. However if I'm him, that is a younger building team, I'd stay. I would LOVE Williams opposite Matthews, but I know it won't happen.

sharpe1027
02-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Firstly, love the "Bigfoot" avatar. But, in a Mariners uni?

We've started last season with a couple holes on D and a 3rd one opened up. Now we sit with those same 3 holes. We need a S (Collins makes a miracle return?) and RDE and ROLB. That's a bunch of patching. I think we'll get one filled, but all 3?

A tall order.

I agree that all three are unlikely to be upgraded in one draft. On the glass-half full side, at least the holes have serviceable guys already in place so it won't be a complete disaster if they can't find upgrades. For example, I like Peprah a whole let better than Marquand Manuel. RDE has at least a possibility of Neal stepping up if he can bounce back from injury and at ROLB they have a few young guys that hopefully can improve.

Even if they only find one gem in the draft, with a few quality depth guys added, I am hopeful that the defense will still be good enough.

Pugger
02-10-2012, 11:27 AM
If we can find someone to improve our pass rush then our defense will be good enough.

swede
02-10-2012, 12:21 PM
That's quite a conspiracy theory.

I saw the tension between Rodgers and the defense in the Discount Double Check ads. Raji was clearly dismissive of Rodgers, Matthews was civil, yet brusque, and even the Cheesehead was leaning D by the end of the ads.

Everyone is feeling the pressure. Who could blame TT and McCarthy for drafting another 11 offensive players? We could win games 77 to 63.
The raging ego of this defense needs to be reigned in.

pbmax
02-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Twitter and Silverstein were aflutter with the thought that the $22 million cap number for Williams must be a mistake, because his salary was $13 million (going from memory there) and the cap number was near $10.8 mil. So 120% doesn't get you to $22 million. So something is not square with that interpretation.

Secondly, I am not sure how hard the Packers chase a DE. I know Nutz is onto something with their subpar play, but they same cast of characters performed admirably last year in the run defense. Its imperative to remember that Jenkins did not start at DE in base and was not in nickel unless it was a definitive passing down (or to spell Pickett). He was also the starter and key to psycho. And Neal was no more absent this year than last.

Not trying to say an upgrade at DE would not help, but that its not as paramount as pass rush in either form (OLB or DE). I think the position takes a backseat to the skill set.

Lurker64
02-12-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure we can afford Jarrett Bush, let alone Mario Williams.

Fritz
02-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Twitter and Silverstein were aflutter with the thought that the $22 million cap number for Williams must be a mistake, because his salary was $13 million (going from memory there) and the cap number was near $10.8 mil. So 120% doesn't get you to $22 million. So something is not square with that interpretation.

Secondly, I am not sure how hard the Packers chase a DE. I know Nutz is onto something with their subpar play, but they same cast of characters performed admirably last year in the run defense. Its imperative to remember that Jenkins did not start at DE in base and was not in nickel unless it was a definitive passing down (or to spell Pickett). He was also the starter and key to psycho. And Neal was no more absent this year than last.

Not trying to say an upgrade at DE would not help, but that its not as paramount as pass rush in either form (OLB or DE). I think the position takes a backseat to the skill set.

Good point. However, I'd really like to see them draft one of each early on (like between rounds one and three) as well as a nose tackle they can develop in order to give Raji a breather from time to time. I'd like to see the Beejster play fewer - significantly fewer - snaps this year. And not cuz he's hurt.

Pugger
02-14-2012, 06:41 AM
When does FA start?

KYPack
02-14-2012, 07:15 AM
When does FA start?

March 13 is the start date for most NFL vets. It can vary from player to player depending on when their roster bonses are listed in their contracts. Indy is expected to cut Manning well before that date, for instance.

pbmax
02-14-2012, 07:18 AM
March 13 is the start date for most NFL vets. It can vary from player to player depending on when their roster bonses are listed in their contracts. Indy is expected to cut Manning well before that date, for instance.

FA is March 13th, KY is right. But bonuses in existing contracts like Manning's can be due any time. Peyton's is due March 8th.

Upnorth
02-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Mario has big name recognition and the media still puts positive spin on him. That will increase his price in the eyes of some GM's and put him out of the discount TT likes. Luigi on the other hand comes with an identical skill set but without as much hype. Also he has less wear and tear as the 2nd player so has less miles on him, and his long lean body style would work better in our system. Finally I can't imagine Mario in anything but red, Luigi already has shown love for green!

P.S. Could you imagine how good they would be at blocking punts and jumping for hail mary's?

Smeefers
02-14-2012, 09:56 AM
I could see us picking up Vonnie Holliday, not Mario Williams.

Pugger
02-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Vonnie Holliday is still playing???? :shock:

Smeefers
02-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Sure. He's 36. Hey, if we're going to keep Driver, Might as well bring grandpa back.

denverYooper
02-14-2012, 12:16 PM
P.S. Could you imagine how good they would be at blocking punts and jumping for hail mary's?

Yeah, but the league better not catch him eating shrooms before the game.

Smidgeon
02-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah, but the league better not catch him eating shrooms before the game.

Or stomping opponents.

pbmax
02-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Sure. He's 36. Hey, if we're going to keep Driver, Might as well bring grandpa back.

Never should have lost him. Stupid Cle-td-dt-ius Hunt.

pittstang5
02-14-2012, 04:36 PM
I could see us picking up Vonnie Holliday, not Mario Williams.

Hell, if we're bringing back Holliday, let's also bring in Grady Jackson and Gilbert Brown......Nobody will be able to run against us now.

Smeefers
02-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Ehh, the thing about Holliday is I could actually see him in the rotation. Not an every down guy by far, but He's a vet who could pass on his knowledge to younger guys like Mike Neal. One of them on the field coaches.

smuggler
02-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Holliday has had a pretty productive career. His strength is in his versatility. He can play 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT/DE. He probably wasn't worth our pick, especially since Moss was taken shorty afterward.

pbmax
02-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Question solved (well, answered):

In his six seasons with the Texans, Williams has made $54 million, including $18 million last season. His franchise designation will be 120 percent of last year’s salary, about $22.9 million. If the Texans were to franchise him, they’d be paralyzed with the remainder of their roster.