PDA

View Full Version : What to do at WR next year

red
02-09-2012, 04:00 PM
lets say driver decides to not retire.

do we cut drive?

do we trade jones who was sort of a player lost on the depth chart even though he did look decent when given a chance

jennings,, jordy, and cobb are locks

and i'm tempted to say that gurley is going to be a guy that the team wants to activate from the PS. if you don't promote him this year, then he's probably going to bolt. sign him or lose him

do we go in with 6 wr's instead of 15 TE's?

pbmax
02-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Driver is going to face the same option Grant did. At some point, reporters will get notice from an agent source that Driver's contract has been altered.

Brandon494
02-09-2012, 06:04 PM
The WR position is the least of my concerns.

Tony Oday
02-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Convert Driver to cb? ;)

Upnorth
02-09-2012, 09:13 PM
We keep him and let him compete at camp. If he earns a position great, if not offer him a coaching or front office job. Even if he sticks get him to restructure if possible.

I also think that 5 wr's and 5 te's worked well last year, if it ani't broke ...

Pugger
02-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Driver is going to be asked to either take a pay cut or he'll be released so he can latch onto another team. He isn't going to stay with us with his present contract.

Old School
02-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Man I love DD. As a player and a person they don't get any better. However ...... if we keep DD, Gurley and Borel will move on. And you can't blame them. They are in the same situation Flynn is. First: then what do we do next year? Second:what if Flynn and the 2 wr's go to Miami and have great careers? We'll be kicking ourselves for years.

This is the old - better a year too early than a year too late.

Patler
02-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Driver is going to be asked to either take a pay cut or he'll be released so he can latch onto another team. He isn't going to stay with us with his present contract.

I think the real question is, should the Packers even offer him a lower contract, or should they just release him and move on?

Even at a veteran's minimum salary, should the Packers keep him; or should they release him and let him find a better opportunity somewhere else? Absent any injuries to Jennings, Nelson, Jones or Cobb, should the Packers have any interest in retaining Driver at all?

pittstang5
02-10-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm curious....did the Colts have this same situation with Marvin Harrison a couple years ago. I know they released him and I can't remember why. I remember no one picked him up and I guess he retired. Maybe that's what happens here, even though I know Driver has said he wants to keep playing, but if no one picks him up....

pbmax
02-10-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm curious....did the Colts have this same situation with Marvin Harrison a couple years ago. I know they released him and I can't remember why. I remember no one picked him up and I guess he retired. Maybe that's what happens here, even though I know Driver has said he wants to keep playing, but if no one picks him up....

Harrison spent most of a year trying to rehab and came back a shell of himself late in the season. But the manner of his departure after that, release or end of contract, I am not sure.

King Friday
02-10-2012, 09:34 PM
I think the Packers may just show Driver the door. Keeping him at #5 uses up a roster spot that could otherwise be used to help bring a youngster up to speed in our system. Just look at the Nick Collins situation. You would not have thought we'd need a replacement for him already, but that could very well be the case. Driver's gas tank is almost empty. He isn't a capable long term replacement for anyone. We need someone younger who can start the process of growing in our system just like Driver did a long time ago. If we need to replace Jennings or Jordy after next season for some reason, we'd be much further along if we had a capable young kid on the roster as our #5 this year than if we have Driver there.

smuggler
02-10-2012, 10:47 PM
They might ask him to renegotiate.

pbmax
02-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Driver told reporters Friday in Milwaukee (speaking engagement) that he a) would be willing to take a paycut and b) had a broken finger surgically repaired recently. Broke it in KC.

Willard
02-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Obviously WR is a position of strength for the Pack. If we can trade a WR to shore up a defensive hole, I'd be for it. JJ is from San Jose State. Perhaps Reggie McKenzie is interested? Same goes for the niners. Crabtree is horrible. They would probably love JJ. JJ back to Bay Area for defensive help. We still have Jennings, Nelson, and Cobb. DD and wannabes fight for the other roster spots to go along with at least 5 TEs!

Upnorth
02-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Explain to me how Driver with a broken finger that had surgery was more reliable catching the ball than jennings jordy jones and finley??? His value just increased to me.

bobblehead
02-11-2012, 06:39 PM
I think I have been as big a JJ supporter as anyone, but what makes anyone think teams will give up a pick for a guy they didn't want to sign a year ago? Did he have such a big season that he is now a commodity? Anyway, loved you DD, time to move on. Throw him a party, buy him some luggage and bring Gurley off the PS.

smuggler
02-12-2012, 12:57 AM
I don't think Jennings had a catching problem. Granted, Jones, Nelson, and Finley.

It would have been nice if Jennings had caught the end zone pass in the playoff game, but it was no gimmee.

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Nelson? Nelson dropped very few balls this year. I think Finley was the main culprit, and Driver seemed to drop more balls than normal.

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2012, 01:56 AM
According to the Washington Post, Finley dropped 11 balls while no Packers receiver was on the list for most drops. That list went down to players with 5 or more. So, according to them, no Packers WRs dropped more than 4 balls.

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2012, 01:58 AM
According to McGinn:

At wide receiver, Greg Jennings led with 4 in 106 (4.72%), which is just slightly higher than his rate in 2010 (six in 159, 3.77%) and '09 (six in 128, 4.69%).

The others were Jordy Nelson, 5 in 100 (5%); Randall Cobb, 2 in 34 (5.89%); Donald Driver, 5 in 61 (8.2%); and James Jones, 6 in 57 (10.53%).

As a whole, the wide receivers dropped 23 of 358 targeted passes, or 6.43%.

Jermichael Finley had the worst drop rate with 13 in 103, or 12.62%. He didn't drop any of 25 last season, and in his first three seasons he dropped 7 of 117, or 6%.

Also at tight end, Tom Crabtree dropped 1 of 9, Andrew Quarless and D.J. Williams each dropped 1 of 4 and Ryan Taylor dropped 1 of 2.

sheepshead
02-12-2012, 08:14 AM
More deep routes.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Keep six wrs. Quarless probably will be on IR next seaon so we probably won't keep more than 3 Te's. You can keep Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Driver, and a young guy like Gurley. THe problem is Driver is clearly no better than the fifth best wr on the team IMO. Is he okay playing 5-10 snaps or less a game?

Pugger
02-12-2012, 10:46 AM
I wonder if they'll put Quarless on the PUP list to start the season like we did with Starks in 2010?

Trading JJ might not be a bad idea but what team besides SF would want him? He didn't excite a lot of teams in the offseason last year. If DD is willing to take a pay cut he'll be back in camp this summer.

Fritz
02-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Sounds like a pay cut for the Donald. Or maybe just a cut.

Freak Out
02-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Driver is a hell of a great Packer.....but he's going to be how old next year..? 37 or so...man. If he makes it to the starting roster again I'll be somewhat surprised....but the guy has beaten the odds before.