PDA

View Full Version : Packers 2012 Compensatory Picks (Officially awarded in March)

smuggler
02-17-2012, 03:44 PM
My source: http://bloggingthebeast.com/2012-compensatory-pick-projections/

4th for Jenkins, a 4th for College, a 7th for Jackson, and a 7th for Spitz. I don't know the details of Korey Hall's contract with the Saints, but no team can be awarded more than 4 of the 26 comp picks that are aloted for FA losses.

The final 7 comp picks in the 7th round make a mini 8th round, and those go to the top 7 teams in the draft order (Unless they already have 4 comp picks, in which case they get skipped in this last process.).

If you factor in the 7th round selection we'll be getting from the Jets for Caleb Schlauderoff, that gives us 12 draft picks.

4 (comp)
4 (comp)
7 (from NYJ)
7 (comp)
7 (comp)

For credibility, this same guy tagged Kampman as as 3rd or 4th (said it would probably be a 4th) and it ended up beinge correct.

Lurker64
02-17-2012, 03:52 PM
With at least four seventh round picks, I have to do more research on the draft this year!

smuggler
02-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Well, this guy is pretty accurate, but it's not official. We have at least 2 and are all but assured of a 3rd. We might end up with a comp pick in the 6th and only one comp pick (three total) in the 7th. Also, you can't trade comp picks. Use them or lose them. =S

Lurker64
02-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Well, this guy is pretty accurate, but it's not official. We have at least 2 and are all but assured of a 3rd. We might end up with a comp pick in the 6th and only one comp pick (three total) in the 7th. Also, you can't trade comp picks. Use them or lose them. =S

Yeah, if they end up making at least five picks in the sixth and seventh round, I'm really going to have to delve into obscurer prospects this year.

Brandon494
02-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Well I can guarantee we will be moving up in the draft now, hopefully it will be for Courtney Upshaw or Michael Brockers.

gbgary
02-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Well I can guarantee we will be moving up in the draft now, hopefully it will be for Courtney Upshaw or Michael Brockers.

i think you're right about moving up...as for those guys (since i pay no attention to college ball, and i have no idea who they are) i'll defer to you. i assume they're both pass rushers with one an olb and the other a de.

Patler
02-17-2012, 06:58 PM
I believe his analysis is flawed from the start. I do not think the Raiders are entitled to compensation for Asomugha. I think he was released when they failed to pay a bonus that was due. Similar to the Packers years ago with Wahle.

Lurker64
02-17-2012, 07:15 PM
I believe his analysis is flawed from the start. I do not think the Raiders are entitled to compensation for Asomugha. I think he was released when they failed to pay a bonus that was due. Similar to the Packers years ago with Wahle.

I think it's something different entirely:

Asomugha's deal included a little-known clause that said his contract would void if he didn't achieve his not-likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010 -- and he didn't.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943

Guiness
02-17-2012, 07:52 PM

I think it was something intended to protect the team in case he went south...but it backfired. One of the clauses was that he had to increase him number of interceptions, but he ended up with none. Because no one threw his way!!!! He was so good, he looked worse on the stat board

smuggler
02-17-2012, 09:13 PM
This guy does his homework. The Raiders are certainly getting the first comp pick this year for Asomugha.

Patler
02-17-2012, 11:09 PM

Interesting, I had not seen it described that way before (or didn't remember it).

smuggler
02-17-2012, 11:24 PM
26 comp picks to divvy out, and the Packers, Vikings, and Raiders are getting 12. Deal with it, rest of the league.

bobblehead
02-18-2012, 07:50 AM
I am not so sure we move up in the first, I think its more likely we trade lower picks to turn a 3rd into a 2nd, or move up in 2nd. TT likes his 18-45 players. He tends to think he can land better talent than other GM's in that range.

denverYooper
02-18-2012, 09:56 AM
I am not so sure we move up in the first, I think its more likely we trade lower picks to turn a 3rd into a 2nd, or move up in 2nd. TT likes his 18-45 players. He tends to think he can land better talent than other GM's in that range.

I tend to think that he likes the value better in that range. The risk is less and the picks probably hit at a similar rate.

Upnorth
02-18-2012, 12:38 PM
However the risk of above 18 has been greatly diminished with the new rookie schedual. With the reduced risk TT may surprise us.

Lurker64
02-18-2012, 01:18 PM
However the risk of above 18 has been greatly diminished with the new rookie schedual. With the reduced risk TT may surprise us.

But now that those picks are no longer risky, they are also more valuable and thus harder to acquire. When the Browns traded away the pick the Jets used to select Mark Sanchez, they did so for pennies on the dollar since they didn't want to be picking there. That's not going to happen anymore.

pbmax
02-19-2012, 11:36 AM
But now that those picks are no longer risky, they are also more valuable and thus harder to acquire. When the Browns traded away the pick the Jets used to select Mark Sanchez, they did so for pennies on the dollar since they didn't want to be picking there. That's not going to happen anymore.

I agree with this. For the first time in a long time, those top ten picks seem worthy of the Jimmy Johnson trade chart. Which means the price in picks will trend higher.

smuggler
02-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Look how much the Falcons gave up to snag Julio Jones. Last year, Jones was a good fantasy receiver and little else. He'll probably be a beast over the next 6 years or so, however.