PDA

View Full Version : Intrigue In Green Bay: Long Knives Out for Tim Connoly

pbmax
02-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Back during the stock sale, there were rumblings in several places about the manner in which the sale was handled and the purpose to which it was being put. I was not sure there was much fundamental difference between passing the hat when the team struggles with its gate receipts, fund a stadium renovation or fund a premium seating expansion so I tended to categorize this as much ado about nothing. Or perhaps about style more than substance.

Then Jason Wied left the team purportedly to deal with an addiction issue. Like John Jones developing an illness right before he was to ascend to the throne, it seemed like odd timing. It also seemed like an extraordinary step to deal with a matter that might be resolved in a relatively short time (Jones it was later revealed was far more sick than initial reports indicated, I think). It also left the team without the local guy rising to the top of the organization, as Wied was seen as a likely successor to Murphy. He had been groomed to be a possible successor during Harlan's time and had interviewed for the position when Harlan was leaving.

Just like an HC candidate retained on a new staff, Wied would be a natural rival for newcomer Murphy. Wied had access to a power base that was not dependent on Murphy. Murphy has now removed and/or replaced several top people in the Packer's organization. All the explanations were personal and no one left for bigger and better things (that I can recall).

Now as an outside guy, Murphy is not going to care about regional loyalty. He is not going to have the same access and familiarity to the Packers community and board as an in-house, born and bred executive like Harlan would have. So wanting his own people who answer only to him is natural.

But what I passed off as pretty ordinary developments have turned into a pretty public dispute. And given the types of sources and concerns, it looks like the Harlan/Wied faction is a little ticked off.

I know nothing about local Green Bay politics or power structures. The only thing I do know is that despite the details, all everyone remembers about the stadium funding vote in 2000 is that it passed. Few recall that it was pretty close, closer than I would have predicted (53-47). I remember that Harlan felt that he has to be personally involved to ensure its passage. I have heard others agree that if it wasn't for Harlan, the measure likely would have failed. The bond vote in the 50s to construct what would become Lambeau Field passed with 70% of the vote.

The Green Bay Press Gazette has three reports out this weekend that cover the concerns of their sources about the direction and future of the Packers franchise. This might all simply be grumbling from ex employees (the Chiefs got an even worse write-up from ex employees tired of Scott Pioli's regime). But it's rare from the Packers point of view.

Murphy has had a few false steps (Favre retirement package, delay of new video boards, getting put on the sidelines of the lockout negotiations) but nothing catastrophic and he has supported his inherited GM and coach to the tune of one Super Bowl. Perhaps most importantly, he has learned Harlan's most important lesson: let the football people handle football while you handle the business.

I think Murphy's only prominent miscalculation that will hurt going forward was the revenue structure he helped craft and push in the new CBA. Continuing a trend that started with Goodell (as Tagliabue's lead internal lawyer) and Jerry Jones finding a way for the Cowboys to have their own Official Soft Drink, the emphasis and incentive currently favoring local revenue over national TV and marketing revenue will ultimately hurt the Packers ability to compete. Not as bad as it will hurt Jacksonville or St. Louis, but it increases the distance between the Packers and the Cowboys, Redskins and Patriots.

John Jones was supposed to be a cautionary tale of an outsider brought in who did not earn the confidence of the board and Packers execs. Murphy has avoided that trap. And his presence (and hiring practices) confirm that the organization remembers the lesson of Judge Robert Parins' tenure.

But have the Packer's figured out how to groom another Harlan? Because the key right hand man (Connolly), with a background of Vikings, Chiefs and Jaguars, doesn't seem to be inspiring confidence.

Main Article: http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120219/PKR0112/301310142/Balancing-act-Can-community-s-team-survive-corporate-league-?odyssey=mod|defcon|text|FRONTPAGE

Tim Connolly: http://t.co/MWqn7m5Z

On Murphy's Hiring: http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120219/PKR0112/120216138/Murphy-hire-departure-Packers-executive-committee

Joemailman
02-19-2012, 01:35 PM
I know nothing about local Green Bay politics or power structures. The only thing I do know is that despite the details, all everyone remembers about the stadium funding vote in 2000 is that it passed. Few recall that it was pretty close, closer than I would have predicted (53-47). I remember that Harlan felt that he has to be personally involved to ensure its passage. I have heard others agree that if it wasn't for Harlan, the measure likely would have failed. The bond vote in the 50s to construct what would become Lambeau Field passed with 70% of the vote.

In the months leading up to the vote, the outcome was very much in doubt. So much so that the Packers brought in Bart Starr to do some ads in favor of passage. I was actually surprised it passed by as much as it did, as there was a lot of opposition to raising taxes to fund a football stadium.

Lurker64
02-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Honestly, you can't fault Murphy too much for screwing up the CBA. Have we already forgotten how close we cut it with the lockout?

Scott Campbell
02-19-2012, 04:53 PM
I don't know why Connolly had to horn in on the designing of the Superbowl rings. It'll be interesting to see what the fallout is to this article. In the past, this sort of article has often led to some kind of a shakeup.

Joemailman
02-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Connolly is 63 years old, so I doubt he is Murphy's heir-apparent. Paul Baniel or Russ Ball would seem to be more likely choices if they're trying to groom someone for the job.

pbmax
02-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Honestly, you can't fault Murphy too much for screwing up the CBA. Have we already forgotten how close we cut it with the lockout?

In terms of not losing football, it went about as well as could be expected. But in terms of the Packers self interest, I think the deal might hurt long term. The pendulum swung back to the owners in terms of player cost this go around and its a 10 year deal, so I doubt there will be any quick fallout on the owners side (except possibly relocation). And it would also be wrong to assign Murphy the lion's share of blame since most of the factors were elements outside his control. My guess is, however, that the Packers might wish he had been offering more modest changes to revenue splits along with Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Buffalo.

Even if the players at the end of 10 years have items they will agitate about, I have doubts how much revenue split and mix will matter to them.

That brings us to the long term. This deal really rewards local revenue and that was one of the things Connolly was brought in to work on. But given the markets, smaller metro areas are in for a bigger fight to maintain pace. Not all franchises are equal and neither are their fan bases, but it helps to have access to larger populations.

There is also the matter of leverage and borrowing costs. Dallas, the Patriots and the Redskins were highly leveraged when purchased and debt service for them and the new stadiums is a huge deal. The Packers do not have the same list of expenses. But if local revenues grow faster than national streams, the precedent could be harmful to the Packers and their bond to the community.

KYPack
02-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Sounds like the score of this battle was ...

Corporate Shark - 1,
Local Green Bay Kid that made good - 0.